Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2009, 3:02pm

Post #1 of 565 (13423 views)
Shortcut
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread! Can't Post

After checking with the Admins, I thought it might be a good idea to combine the post on Main and Mr Cere's Post into one so that it would be easier to keep track of all the information coming in.

Yes - as many of you have guessed there are plans in the works for a TORn Moot to coincide with the showing of Fellowship of the Ring (featuring Howard Shore's Complete Score Performed Live to Film) at Radio City Music Hall on October 9th and 10th, 2009. There are tickets for both performances still available through Ticketmaster.

As Moot details get finalized, i'm sure they will be posted here. I don't even think there is a Moot name yet! But it's been fun to read who is planning to attend, and to start thinking ahead to the fall. Any excuse for TORn-sibs to get together is a great one, and even better when it includes Howard Shore's amazing film score!

"...and back again."

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 1 2009, 3:55pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 7 2009, 4:31pm

Post #2 of 565 (7868 views)
Shortcut
I'll definitley be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Along with my better half. Smile

As I mentioned below, TORn as an 'entity' will be putting some things together, plus there will be lots of time to take in the sights and sounds of the Big Apple. As you mentioned, as TORn's plans are finalized they'll definitely be posted here.

For now though, I was wondering what performance (Fri or Sat) people have already purchased tickets for. I think it would be great to get as many TORnsibs at the same performance as possible!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jan 7 2009, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 565 (7811 views)
Shortcut
Saturday night [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems from reading here more people are going to the Saturday night performance. I suspect that one will sell out first.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 7 2009, 9:36pm

Post #4 of 565 (7742 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you might be psychic, then I found the other thread (on Main). Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 8 2009, 2:24am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 7 2009, 11:50pm

Post #5 of 565 (7734 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly enough, I have enough money saved up for a flight and at least a day in a hotel room, but convincing the parental unit that a flight to NYC is the right way to go is another topic. It likely won't happen, so you folks have an awesome time!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 8 2009, 3:14am

Post #6 of 565 (7697 views)
Shortcut
Magpie's big adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

< note my special, Magpie in the city avatar

The hub and I have done a goodly amount of car travel all over the country (and into a few contiguous ones). But this will be a truly big adventure for us. We have tickets for Saturday night and I just hope there's enough time to do everything with everyone.

The hub isn't really a guy to have an online name but I can't help thinking if he had to chose one, it might come out something similar to our Corvar's... but with an 'i': Corvair. He's a big Vair geek and spends all his time on Corvair forums.

As many of you know, Doug Adams' book will be released that weekend and has plans for a book release party and facilitating meet ups for the folks at his blog. Maybe some of you will want to check some of that out too.

A few blog entries (and comment discussions) to visit:
I can't wait to hear more about festivities.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 8 2009, 5:23am

Post #7 of 565 (7868 views)
Shortcut
Phone number for tickets in here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the number given on the Radio City website: 212-307-7171.

That number gets you to an automated Ticketmaster site. You then have to go through a maze of voice-activated options from there. In the end it was worth it though. Even though I requested "Best Available" on the website, I could tell from the poor location of the tickets that there *must* be better ones available.

The automated phone site will try to pre-select tickets for you too. I just didn't answer the automated questions, and was finally taken to a live person, so persevere! Laugh I got two aisle seats in row C in the middle of the auditorium. Smile

Good luck!

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 9 2009, 2:27am)

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jan 8 2009, 11:41am

Post #8 of 565 (7902 views)
Shortcut
This Sounds Really Neat... [In reply to] Can't Post

If only money weren't so restricted!

I'm a definite MAYBE on this one. Never been to Radio City Hall and I don't get to Manhattan nearly often enough.

The Road News and Rumors
http://www.theroadrumors.com

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 8 2009, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 565 (7754 views)
Shortcut
How can we buys tickets [In reply to] Can't Post

if we do not have American Express. How does one actually talk to someone to buy tickets. I'd rather encounter a bear that do thisUnimpressed.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 8 2009, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 565 (7770 views)
Shortcut
Also can anyone gage how fast [In reply to] Can't Post

tickets are selling or what is left?

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2009, 5:32pm

Post #11 of 565 (7862 views)
Shortcut
Ticketmaster [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a link in the original post (see my first post for it) - you can use any credit card, not just AE.

As for how quickly tickets are selling and what's left, i'm really not sure how to tell. You may be able to call Radio City Music Hall itself and ask them.

Hope to see you and the family there!

"...and back again."

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 8 2009, 11:14pm

Post #12 of 565 (8007 views)
Shortcut
RCMH link [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to put the link to Radio City Music Hall in my first post (on that old main thread) and added it as a reply. Here it is again:

Radio City Music Hall

There's a link for FOTR-Live on the front page.

IIRC, there was a phone number offered on the ticket page so you could always call them. I can tell you how online ticketing worked. You put in a date, quantity and a price you wanted to pay. Then you make some determination about how you want to chose a seat: best available or in some particular area or handicapped, etc. Then they offer you some seats and you have 4 minutes to buy them or they go back into the availability pool. 4 minutes is not a long time. You don't have time to go look around at seating charts (if it matters to you, investigate areas first and either have the charts up in another window or print them out to glance at after getting the offers of seats. You do not have time to go dig out your card or squint to read the numbers on it. Have it next to you and write the numbers out on paper if you can't read your card easily (including that little number on the back if you have it). Don't dwadle during any choice or you'll get to the end of the process only to be told the tickets are gone and you have to start over again. I dwadled looking at seating charts and lost my first tickets. The second offer was a few rows behind the first.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2009, 6:36pm

Post #13 of 565 (7806 views)
Shortcut
Magpie, you always give such practical advice - thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jan 12 2009, 7:49pm

Post #14 of 565 (7647 views)
Shortcut
Optimum seating suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking to purchase my tickets tonight but have never been to Radio City Music Hall and was wondering if people prefer certain seats to others as far as sound, view, etc.

Any opinions appreciated!

Captain Jack: Who has a sonic screwdriver?
The Doctor: I do!
Captain Jack: Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, "Woo, this could be a little more sonic."?
The Doctor: What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2009, 6:27am

Post #15 of 565 (7697 views)
Shortcut
So is anyone coordinating it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got my ticket, and I'd like to start making plans. I hope to drive up from NC and combine this with a visit to upstate NY. I've got to admit, I'm still a bit intimidated driving into NYC by myself! If anyone's got insider information about good places to stay, etc., that would be great!

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2009, 12:51pm

Post #16 of 565 (7534 views)
Shortcut
Coming soon [In reply to] Can't Post

We hope to have some info soon on hotel and activity-type-stuff. Watch this space...

"...and back again."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 1 2009, 7:09pm

Post #17 of 565 (7615 views)
Shortcut
**Please take the polls on the Pollantir board!** [In reply to] Can't Post

As a life-long New Yawka, I'm looking forward to welcoming TORnsibs here!

With permission of the TORn PTB, I've posted three new polls on the Pollantir Board:

1. If you'll be in NYC for the LOTR concert in Oct. 2009, what else would you like to do that weekend?

2. Which days will you be in NYC and available for TORn events?

3. Will you need a hotel in NYC in Oct. 2009? Let us know your preferences.

Filling out a poll doesn't obligate you to anything; at this point we're just gathering information.

"This is the entrance of the tunnel," said Girllum softly. Out of it came a stench, not the sickly odour of decay in the meads of Morgul, but a foul reek, as if filth unnameable were piled and hoarded in the dark within.

"Is this the only way, Smeagirl?" said the TORnsibs.

"Yes, yes," she answered. "Yes, we must go this way now."

"D'you mean to say you've been through this hole?" said the TORnsibs. "Phew! But perhaps you don't mind bad smells."

Smeagirl's eyes glinted. "They don't know what we minds, do they, precious? No, they don't. But Smeagirl can bear things. Yes. She's been through, O yes, right through. Smeagirl takes the subway every day."

Wink Sly Cool

"The wood was full of the rumour of him, dreadful tales even among beasts and birds. The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests, it crept into holes to find the young, it slipped through windows to find cradles."

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2009, 7:51pm

Post #18 of 565 (7588 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams comment [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of you know Doug has a blog and there are regular posters there that are planning to be in NYC. I just kind of want to keep both 'camps' in touch with each other. Doug has posted the following on his blog:
The fantastic news, however, is that everything seems to be locking together perfectly. Right now we absolutely expect to have product* available at next October's Radio City event. I always knew that it would be a bit of a push, but all involved have stepped up to the challenge. Let me tell you, these are great teams! In fact nothing--NOTHING--that I've suggested has yet met with corporate or creative resistance. That's staggering considering the scope of these projects.
*by product I think he means specifically his book but perhaps he's also being inclusive in regards to the releases that WB is involved in.
And speaking of the Radio City, the proposals for the secondary events surrounding October's performances have begun to come in. I can't think of a better way for you to all meet one another in person... and of course for me to meet you all as well! Oh yeah, and Howard should be there too. ;) I've also just heard that certain NY hotels are, in fact, planning to offer special packages to those attending the Radio City concerts. No details yet--they'll be a ways off yet--but I'll let you know as soon as things are set.

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2009, 8:09pm

Post #19 of 565 (7520 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to hear more information about this.

"...and back again."

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 1:52am

Post #20 of 565 (7505 views)
Shortcut
TORnsibs storm the [In reply to] Can't Post

rollercoaster at Astroland!.....What?....Ok next time. How about the Shark Speedboat Thrill RideSmile.

No, just kidding. I had to get that out of my system. Something more relaxing would be in order. I have seen the lights changing colors at the top of the Empire State Building from afar all my life and have never been there (My wife's favorite movie is 'Sleepless in Seatle'). I do not believe that it is far from the theatre. We are open to all manner of activities though.
I think Smeagirl will be a great person to help logisticize ideas that all of us come up with. I think the day of the concert would be the best time for the greatest number of sibs to take in an area of interest together. And those who can extend into Sunday can plan another idea. Hmmm if the weather holds a Circle Line Boat Cruise Sunday might be nice.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2009, 2:33am

Post #21 of 565 (7545 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, gosh, the NYC subways! I'm afraid that a lot of TORnsibs will be in for a shock...Laugh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2009, 3:28am

Post #22 of 565 (7531 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been on BART and the Cambridge/Boston train system. How does NYC compare to those?

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 2 2009, 3:28am)

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Feb 2 2009, 5:22am

Post #23 of 565 (7609 views)
Shortcut
Can it really be that much worse than the inside of my truck? [In reply to] Can't Post

In which I just found a desiccated piece of chicken that must have rolled out of some fast food I ate like, a month ago? Crazy

Captain Jack: Who has a sonic screwdriver?
The Doctor: I do!
Captain Jack: Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, "Woo, this could be a little more sonic."?
The Doctor: What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?

sador
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 9:07am

Post #24 of 565 (7478 views)
Shortcut
Poor girl! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hardly a chance I'll be there, but I do feel for you - and for everyone else you'll be leading!

"We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory" - Aragorn

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 2 2009, 12:06pm

Post #25 of 565 (7572 views)
Shortcut
Eh, I'm just being dramatic, it's not that bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really varies a lot by line and station. Overall the trains are quite clean, and the stations are moderately so. When there's a bad smell, it's usually coming from a homeless person, and there don't seem to be as many around as there used to be.

At some stations you might see mice or rats scurrying on the tracks, but people are more amused by them than bothered. Something to keep you entertained while waiting for your train.

"The wood was full of the rumour of him, dreadful tales even among beasts and birds. The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests, it crept into holes to find the young, it slipped through windows to find cradles."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.