I don't understand what this is.
View Results (15 votes)

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 8 2007, 2:48am

Post #1 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings and Chess! Can't Post

In trying to combine two interests, and find a solution to a lack of Chess partners; I thought it might be fun to see if the Tornsibs would be up for a game, or two, or three!?

The catch is that we play as either Black or White teams playing that particular side of the board exclusively.

The Black team would play the black side of the board which would represent the evils of Middle Earth, while the White team who plays the White side of the board as the free peoples of Middle Earth. Now we play to a set number of points to decide the fate of Middle Earth in a course of games that last a week or a month, or however long we decide, whilst keeping a tally for the two teams to decide the victor

Vote Yes or no if the idea interests you!

Even if you do not know how to play I would encourage those who are interested, because I am a willing and able teacher of the game!

If the idea is popular, there are plenty of avenues we could explore online in setting up games.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2007, 3:48am

Post #2 of 12 (273 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't play chess and wouldn't have time for it, but I hope you get some players!

Radhruin
Rohan

Apr 9 2007, 6:41am

Post #3 of 12 (285 views)
Shortcut
I honestly like the idea [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm afraid I wouldn't have the time. I'm just not on the computer enough, or at least consistently enough to commit to anything like this. Good luck though, I like the way you think! I've gotta get that old chess board out again, it's been too long.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 9 2007, 9:34pm

Post #4 of 12 (261 views)
Shortcut
You can still play without commiting to a full game in one day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Radhruin, there is a website that allows for a leisurely pace in playing chess over a course of a few days or even a week. I haven't played any games there yet, but the membership is free and they will notify you by e-mail when it is your turn to move. So there are options for people with busy schedules!

http://gameknot.com/

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 10 2007, 7:36pm

Post #5 of 12 (265 views)
Shortcut
kinda clueless about chess, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would be interested in learning and of course the theme appeals to me!

Radhruin
Rohan

Apr 12 2007, 6:44am

Post #6 of 12 (271 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

That my mind wanders too much to play in such a way. I have attempted playing on a site like you suggested, but it just isn't my thing. I have a hard enough time concentrating on a game at hand. ;)

wolfranger
Bree

Apr 16 2007, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I love chess! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not terribly good though. And I don't have much time. And I'm not sure I *quite* understand the teams thing. But it sounds great!

Cheers,
wolfranger

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 17 2007, 9:19pm

Post #8 of 12 (250 views)
Shortcut
I don't proclaim to be a master of chess either! [In reply to] Can't Post

I play as often as I can with friends and family, so I can say I understand the game very well, but are no where near mastering it.

The team idea I have is really simple:

You can play as either the black pieces or the white pieces as you would normally when you play chess. Except each game will not allow you to change your color, you're simply playing that color every time. By doing so, that places you on a team with either the black or the white pieces.

So if there are at least 4 people playing 1 game representing their color, we will then keep the score for that team rather than for individual wins.

Ciars
Rohan

Apr 22 2007, 4:10pm

Post #9 of 12 (258 views)
Shortcut
good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit (ok very rusty) but I have played the online chess and checkers a few times on and off .

Dagonet
Lorien

Sep 10 2007, 9:14pm

Post #10 of 12 (244 views)
Shortcut
It's already out. [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend got it, it's really cool. Lord of the Rings fans and chess fans love
it from what I've heard.

Gaffer Gamgee
Bree

Apr 24 2008, 10:42pm

Post #11 of 12 (222 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to get involved! If you get started on it, let me know.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 4:00pm

Post #12 of 12 (251 views)
Shortcut
count me in [In reply to] Can't Post

I love chess so if you come back to this thread let's do it!!!!!!Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.