Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Cultures" in LOTR, "The Hobbit" and Appendix movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 6 2009, 7:27pm

Post #26 of 31 (592 views)
Shortcut
You do not know your danger, VoronwŰ. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention that the next stop after Brig would be Visp----a wine-growing area thanks to irrigation---which, in addition to the flooding common to the region, felt a devastating earthquake prior to Tolkien's [1911] visit travel down about half the valley's length in 1856 (Zermatt, at the other end, had only a minor shock of its own). Here, like Bilbo, he would have turned away from the river and worked his way down the valley toward Zermatt and the lonely Matterhorn.

And of course, there are all the usual witches, trolls, goblins and imps, spectral animals, pygmies, and dragons.
If it's marshy, stinks, and nothing much grows there...blame a dragon. Pretty much any strange or destructive act of nature can be blamed on dragons, really.
The dragon "survivor" stories are just ridiculous, but I do rather like the tale of how Finam Mario bashed a dragon's head in with a rock...but the dragon lived on, developed seven heads, is named the Rh˘ne, and crawls along bringing destruction in his train. Mario the Stone-chucker doesn't have the same appeal as Bard the Bowman, but then Smaug only became part of the river & lake bottom and not the river itself.

I'm liable to drag in bits of dwarvish-style poetry if encouraged with undue patience.

If I try to connect the Beornings and the Bernese---- somebody, slap me.

Myrkvidr
The Shire

Jan 6 2009, 7:48pm

Post #27 of 31 (599 views)
Shortcut
Nicely Done [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nicely done - good overview of the cultures of Middle Earth. My minor is Cultural Anthropology and I study Human cultures here in the real world so, naturally, one of my favorite hobbies with Middle Earth has been to gather info on the various cultures. I've been looking for a book or something on these with information similar to what you have here. Aside from this I have collected info on my own from reading all of Tolkien's books and watching the movies and such.

Also - I'm not sure if you mentioned it - the men of Bree are related to the Dunlendings (I think?)

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 6 2009, 7:56pm

Post #28 of 31 (586 views)
Shortcut
I would be more than happy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to sit on the edge of ruin and listen to the small doings of your fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers, and remoter cousins to the ninth degree. Wink

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 6 2009, 8:13pm

Post #29 of 31 (579 views)
Shortcut
Hey, this is it FFHome! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is intriguing. Enlarge it 20fold (about) and there would be Laketown. All right, food for the imagination.

I can hear the water sounds echoing from the pillared cavernous expanse under Laketown with the shafts of light finding their way to the water creating sparkle and then have the sounds of human activity filter in and suddenly rise up in the bright sunshine to find the dazzle of human activity among the ramps, house fronts, alleys, open doors and windows and then roofsSmile.
They could make this quite a place from seeing Minas Tirith and Lothlorien in lotr's.

Opps, got carried away. Thanks FarFromHome for your efforts. This is fun.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 6 2009, 8:32pm

Post #30 of 31 (597 views)
Shortcut
That's very ok bg13. [In reply to] Can't Post

Look what your openess and efforts lead to. I thank you too:).
Besides, i have NO room to complain or look down with my level IncCrazympetence.:).

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 1:45am

Post #31 of 31 (784 views)
Shortcut
Right away I started smiling at your description [In reply to] Can't Post

of Tolkien's approach of creating Middle-earth as if he'd found its ancient description on lost parchments in some corner of a library (paraphrasing). I was smiling because that's how Peter Jackson described his approach at creating his adaptation of Middle-earth. As if they'd uncovered some lost, ancient remnants of Tolkien's world.

What a fantastic examination of the different cultures! This is awesome!

I completely agree that GdT/Peter don't have to re-invent Hobbits or the Shire (hence, my footer :) As I was reading along, I was trying to imagine which of these culture Lake-town would resemble... if any at all of the ones we know. The Dwarves can be expanded with what we already know, but Lake-town AND Thranduil's realm are new territory. Just as Lorien and Rivendell are very different, I get the feeling Mirkwood's Elves are also unique.

Lake-town... I've always thought of them as a variation of the Rohirrim and how Gondorians would be if they were rustic and hadn't evolved into a world of stone dwellings and cities. Bard definitely reminds me of the life Aragorn had, or would have had, if he'd been raised by his father and mother.

This is wonderful, V. I've got to print this out and visit it properly. Exquisite!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.