Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Shaye's " The last Mimzy "

fmaximus
Rivendell

Apr 7 2007, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 4 (537 views)
Shortcut
Shaye's " The last Mimzy " Can't Post

Although Robert Shaye's "the last Mimzy" is getting many great reviews, it's not doing that great at the boxoffice.
After a couple of weeks in the theaters it's only made about 16 million. For a big budget movie (which this supposedly is) this would be considered a major flop at the boxoffice, and the last thing that New Line needs right now.

My question to you guys is; Do you think that the public fued between Robert Shaye and Peter Jackson, and the threat of thousands of boycotts against New Line produced movies because of the dismissal of Jackson, has effected the lack of the success of this movie at the box office?
Please comment. Thanks in advance.

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Apr 7 2007, 9:28pm

Post #2 of 4 (368 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know whom directed this.. [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think its to do with appeal to the 'market', with press and possibly the feud over Robert Shaye.

Obviously this sort of 'bad' press isnt going to bode well for sales and profits.

-e_H-

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Patty
Immortal

Apr 7 2007, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 4 (390 views)
Shortcut
I doubt that the feud and bad press have anything to do with ...(movie comment-mild spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

the mediocre box office. Surprising enough, most folks don't know about it. We zero in on it here, because it effects us deeply, but the average person (movie goer) doesn't know and wouldn't care. Ringers were never Mimzy's target audience, although I suspect King Kong was helped by PJ fans due to LotR. Mimzy is a "rotten" on rottentomatoes.com--at 54%, so I'd say the reviews aren't really that good.

*****Not really a spoiler, but a comment about something in the movie*****

I saw Mimzy last week, and was very inconvenienced by the scene where the little girl's brother comments on the hamburger she is eating. My visiting grandPatty is just being really hit with the realization of what her food is about, and the timing was bad, cause I had spent hard earned money buying groceries for the little girl who came to visit me, not the little girl she became when she saw that movie. She could only eat so many grilled cheese sandwiches. I wish I had been warned. I know that kids go through this (heck, I struggle with it myself!) but I really didn't have the spare funds to markedly increase the number of parishable vegetables I already had.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

(This post was edited by Patty on Apr 7 2007, 10:36pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 9 2007, 4:10pm

Post #4 of 4 (381 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the main problem is the movie isn't very good. The direction stinks. And I'm not saying that just because it's Bob Shaye. The actors are good, but don't seem to have a clue how to put it together, and the scenes are shot very amateurishly. Sometimes it's like they left the camera on a bit too long. Ironically Shaye probably would have done good (er, that is, bad) with a feature segment in Grindhouse.

I met a Balrog on the stair
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.