Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
LotR cryptograms -- April

Wynnie
Rohan

Apr 7 2007, 1:11pm

Post #1 of 8 (105 views)
Shortcut
LotR cryptograms -- April Can't Post

I know this is a busy weekend for many (myself included!), but I'll go ahead and post this month's cryptograms. If you can't find time right away, remember that you've got all month to get back to them. I don't think this batch should give you too much trouble.

Below are three encoded quotes from LotR (book, not movie). For general instructions and tips for solving cryptograms, follow this link.

Extra credit for naming: (a) who said it, (b) to whom, (c) in which chapter. If b is more than one person, you can name any/all of them; if a or b is an unnamed character, a general identification (e.g., "an orc") is fine. Open book.

1. O ZOSS LCN TCZ NC AHXE W CLD, SWAN CY

W BWRRDF ECHAD SCLR TDBDYN CY SCBFAEOQ

WLF FORLONG.

2. GF JBBUI HSOB FS HNPB N PGJZ FLNJ N

CGBMB SX BERGIL ZENII, SO N ONTTEB IAML

NI FLGI.

3. VLI MLQV S DENMR SRB SGG SRB S ANGBOR

DPK! MOGG, MVSQ SEO MO DNILRA QN?

**SPOILER**
Specific hints for each puzzle are just below; highlight to view.

In #1, R = G

In #2, L = H

In #3, M = W

Happy decrypting!

Cryptogram Archive

Flight to the Ford
from LordofthePeeps.com

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 7 2007, 10:48pm

Post #2 of 8 (45 views)
Shortcut
I needed the book for the chapter titles. [In reply to] Can't Post

WLF FORLONG.

I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.
Denethor to Gandalf, in “The Pyre of Denethor”

NI FLGI.

It needs more to make a king than a piece of Elvish glass or a rabble such as this.
The Mouth of Sauron to Aragorn, in “The Black Gate Opens”

Him with a crown and all and a golden cup! Well what are we coming to?
Butterbur to Gandalf , Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin in "Homeward Bound".

Thanks, Wynnie! That was fun.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2007, 4:31am

Post #3 of 8 (41 views)
Shortcut
A nice way to relax [In reply to] Can't Post

after doing all the Easter preparations!

1. "I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity."
The Steward of Gondor disses Aragorn in front of Gandalf, Pippin, Beregond, and his servants before lighting "The Pyre of Denethor".

2. "It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this."
The guy everyone loves to hate: the Mouth of Sauron confronting Aragorn and the Captains of the West when "The Black Gate Opens".

3. "Him with a crown and all and a golden cup! Well, what are we coming to?"
Heh, got this one after placing only three letters! Dear Barliman, astounded at learning who his King is, speaking to the Hobbits and Gandalf as they are "Homeward Bound".

Seems like everyone has some opinion of Aragorn, don't they! A good selection for the holiday. Thanks, Wynnie, I hope the "Easter Bunny" is kind to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for shear delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!'"

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 8 2007, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 8 (47 views)
Shortcut
Happy Easter, Wynnie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your weekend has quieted down some, and now you have some time to relax. This was a good puzzle this month, neither too easy nor too difficult. A nice way to spend a little time on a Sunday morning! Smile Here are my answers:

1. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity -- Denethor to Gandalf, RotK, "The Pyre of Denethor"

2. It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this -- Mouth of Sauron to Men of the West, etc, and to Aragorn in particular. RotK, "The Black Gate Opens"

3. Him with a crown and all and a golden cup! Well, what are we coming to? -- Butterbur to Gandalf and the 4 hobbits, on their journey back to the Shire. RotK, "Homeward Bound"

Thanks for doing these, Wynnie! I'm looking forward to next month's puzzle!

Wynnie
Rohan

Apr 9 2007, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 8 (40 views)
Shortcut
solvers & solutions for March [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite an increase in both number and difficulty level, March's cryptograms were successfully deciphered by 6 TORnadoes:
    Aerin
    Alassea Elensar
    dernwyn
    Estelwyn
    Fantasy Fan
    Kimi

All earned 12 extra credit points except Alassea, who got 9. Yes, Estelwyn, I'll accept Googled chapter names. Delighted to see both you and Kimi drop in for this one; I've missed you.

Here are the solutions, all concerning hobbit luck:

1. TRFS MEGYMN DWARVES JN SENY, XL MEGYMN ZAR MGBB XS.
Just chance brought me then, if chance you call it.
--Tom Bombadil to Frodo, In the House of Tom Bombadil

2. KWOP LFTAFV GZW NIFTF; SWN GZW LFUMFV GZWT OICHOF QUNI SZNI ICHVL, ZHF DURIN LCG.
Luck served you there; but you seized your chance with both hands, one might say.
--Gimli to Pippin, Flotsam and Jetsam

3. HX'R EPX BOMBUR B THRAPIXLEC QCHEW PSCIOPPYCN.
It's not always a misfortune being overlooked.
--Merry to Pippin, The Houses of Healing

4. JUBB, O JZT GHMC BALIN, JRZYUPUM KN DZEEUM KZN TZN.
Well, I was born lucky, whatever my gaffer may say.
--Sam to Mr. Butterbur et al., Homeward Bound

Flight to the Ford
from LordofthePeeps.com

Estelwyn
The Shire

Apr 10 2007, 9:50am

Post #6 of 8 (33 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thankyou [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been so looking forward to these, after having worked through the <i>entire</i> set of your website in the last month. Even the few I had done before, when you posted them here, were fun to do again, as I had forgotten the solutions. After a month of dedicated practise, I was pleased to see that these new ones only took me about half-an-hour. Smile Oh, and no Googling this time either!

My answers:
1. I WILL NOT BOW TO SUCH A ONE, LAST OF A RAGGED HOUSE LONG BEREFT OF LORDSHIP AND DIGNITY.
Denethor to Gandalf; in The Pyre of Denethor.

2. IT NEEDS MORE TO MAKE A KING THAN A PIECE OF ELVISH GLASS, OR A RABBLE SUCH AS THIS.
The Mouth of Sauron to Aragorn; in The Black Gate Opens.

3. HIM WITH A CROWN AND ALL AND A GOLDEN CUP! WELL, WHAT ARE WE COMING TO?
Butterburr to the hobbits and Gandalf; in Homeward Bound

Seems like a lot of folk had Aragorn-issues, doesn't it!

FantasyFan
Rohan

Apr 10 2007, 6:33pm

Post #7 of 8 (33 views)
Shortcut
Fun as always! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do enjoy these puzzles. And the first was hard (I had trouble with 'a one'), the last easy (so I did them in reverse order!)

1. 'I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and idgnity.' Denethor to Gardalf, in front of Pippin, Beregond and the servants, The Pyre of Denethor.

2. 'It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this.' The Mouth of Sauron to Aragorn, who does not answer him in words, and the Captains of the West (including Pippin, later recognized as a Captain himself), The Black Gate Opens.

3. 'Him with a crown and all and a golden cup! Well, what are we coming to?' Barliman Butterbur, bless his beer, to Sam, the rest of the Travelers and Gandalf, Homeward Bound.

Actually, although they are about Aragorn, Pippin and Gandalf were were the two who witnessed them all.

Thanks for the fun!

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

May 17 2009, 5:42pm

Post #8 of 8 (30 views)
Shortcut
Another one I just got around to solving: [In reply to] Can't Post

WLF FORLONG.

I will not bow to such a one, last of
a ragged house long bereft of lordship
and dignity.

Who said it: Denethor
To whom: Gandalf
In what chapter: The Pyre of Denethor

NI FLGI.

It needs more to make a king than a
piece of Elvish glass or a rabble such
as this.

Who said it: The Mouth of Sauron
To whom: Aragorn
In what chapter: The Black Gate Opens

Him with a crown and all and a golden
cup! Well what are we coming to?

Who said it: Butterbur
To whom: Sam (and Gandalf)
In what chapter: Homeward Bound

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.