Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
I think . . .
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2008, 5:24am

Post #1 of 30 (1291 views)
Shortcut
I think . . . Can't Post

TORn needs to have a moot of some kind, perhaps in a big city. Perhaps next fall. October maybe? Keep your calendars open.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2008, 5:30am

Post #2 of 30 (440 views)
Shortcut
Who's coordinating the plans for our 10th anniversary in April 2009? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2008, 1:25pm

Post #3 of 30 (416 views)
Shortcut
*ears perk up* A big city? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're thinking of NYC, I'm there! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

If another city, I doubt I'd be able to make it, but who knows -- hopefully time and money constraints will have eased up somewhat by then.

A great idea in any case! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

"You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard," said Gandalf. "He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 19 2008, 3:20pm

Post #4 of 30 (413 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what Mr. Cere is planning but... [In reply to] Can't Post

see this just new info.

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2008, 5:05pm

Post #5 of 30 (397 views)
Shortcut
Oooooohhh thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks like it will be quite amazing! I really enjoyed the other LOTR concert I went to a couple of years ago.

I just emailed my husband to ask if he wants to go (and I'll go by myself if he doesn't Cool) -- I can stop by the box office after work today! Though it does seem weird to buy tickets for something almost a year away. Crazy

Any other TORnsibs planning on going?

"You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard," said Gandalf. "He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 20 2008, 2:06am

Post #6 of 30 (405 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

a series of parties all on the same 'day' in a major city in a number of countries?

I bags Wellington for NZ.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2008, 3:03am

Post #7 of 30 (377 views)
Shortcut
I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

there are that many of us near Toronto, otherwise we could also do a moot in Toronto as part of the international-same-day-across-the-world-thingie, there are a few sibs out in B.C I think?.....which is quite the trip to come east! New York is more than possible from here, but would definitely be more than a daytrip thats for sure. Anyway, if the multiple international city one takes off I will have to definitely think abouts it!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2008, 3:24am

Post #8 of 30 (389 views)
Shortcut
I'm in Toronto [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered how many of us are here Blush If you decide to organize something, I'll most probably be available. It depends, though. I have a small baby, so I'd have to skip evening parties Evil

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on December 15 on the Main board

I believe

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2008, 4:08am

Post #9 of 30 (343 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea you were in Toronto....nice to know! Well we'll have to see if there is enough of us to get something together in T.O.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 20 2008, 4:47am

Post #10 of 30 (400 views)
Shortcut
I think that might be the better way to go: [In reply to] Can't Post

One official party, then groups of TORNadoes who can't get to it organising complementary gatherings in their cities at the same time.

Virtual worldwide party!!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Dec 20 2008, 6:57am

Post #11 of 30 (398 views)
Shortcut
(and i have no choice but to eat a free cake and that is no lie) [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

Mr. Cere,
I do believe you have a good idea. It would also be good to see you again, brother:).

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2008, 12:33am

Post #12 of 30 (322 views)
Shortcut
I think that is a good idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think you should get started on the plans.

I've always loved Fall Moots. Smile

"...and back again."

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2008, 3:54am

Post #13 of 30 (329 views)
Shortcut
I moved here in the beginning of this month :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on December 15 on the Main board

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2008, 3:57am

Post #14 of 30 (355 views)
Shortcut
Sounds exciting :) How about Tolkien's Birthday, is anything planned or [In reply to] Can't Post

is it the Tolkien's Society suggestion on the Home page? Is TORN organizing something? Sorry if you're not the right person to ask, I just don't know where and whom I should ask Blush

I believe

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Dec 21 2008, 6:46pm

Post #15 of 30 (371 views)
Shortcut
Alright, maybe I will. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I've never met a moot I didn't like... Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2008, 8:26pm

Post #16 of 30 (399 views)
Shortcut
You think? [In reply to] Can't Post

You should be careful with that, it might make your brain overheat.
;-)

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 22 2008, 10:42pm

Post #17 of 30 (503 views)
Shortcut
Whoo hoo! Advance notice! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, all of October is now open for Torn.

Everyone else will have to take a number!

LOL

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

_V_
Lorien

Dec 24 2008, 1:20am

Post #18 of 30 (573 views)
Shortcut
big city = NYC [In reply to] Can't Post

NYC is sort of at the middle of the Boston-Washington Megalopolis of the northeastern USA (aka, the Greater New York City Empire)

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

hobbithearted

Jan 1 2009, 5:10pm

Post #19 of 30 (325 views)
Shortcut
This sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been years since my last moot! I could probably round up an upstate NY crew to come on down!

I was just near Radio City on Tuesday...nice pub-type place 1/2 block from Radio City...Heartland Brewery...a chain...but good food, their own brews and nice service. The one at 6th Ave & 51st. Of course, picking a restaurant in NYC for an event 10 months away is a bit dicey...but there's one for the list anyway.

Happy New Year!
-Carolyn/HH

-HH

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 2 2009, 1:37am

Post #20 of 30 (251 views)
Shortcut
I was just thinking of you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And here you are! I was sorting through my pictures from past moots and came upon a whole folder of yours. I think you put the pictures on my computer from your camera, and then I e-mailed them to you. I still have them.

Hope you can join us next fall in NYC - it would be so great to see you again.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jan 2 2009, 3:57am

Post #21 of 30 (258 views)
Shortcut
My ticket showed up in the mail the other day.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was quite excited. Cool

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2009, 1:11pm

Post #22 of 30 (217 views)
Shortcut
I printed mine online [In reply to] Can't Post

It costs a couple of bucks more, but i'm always paranoid about having things like that go through the mail!

"...and back again."

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 2 2009, 8:48pm

Post #23 of 30 (265 views)
Shortcut
OK wait, what?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we planning to party at the same time as the LOTR Radio City event?

I am lost. Please find me.

Wink

That is: are there two separate plans going on in this thread?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 2 2009, 8:54pm

Post #24 of 30 (444 views)
Shortcut
My suspicions are [In reply to] Can't Post

that Mr. Cere was slyly referring to the NY event. But it wasn't stated as such and that left room for other sorts of moots to be suggested.

At some point, I think we need a proper NY moot thread with a proper title indicating it as such. Actually, with the thread on main now off the front page, I'd say we could start one any time.

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 6 2009, 4:49am

Post #25 of 30 (231 views)
Shortcut
In a word, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Mr. Cere pretty much spilled the beans already Wink, TORn (as an 'entity') has a few things in the works for that very weekend. Nothing has been finalized yet, but I'd say the more people that can get themselves to NYC the weekend of the Symphony, the better.

More details to come soon. In the mean time, feel free to start a new thread for now, just be sure to leave some wiggle room for 'official' goings on. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.