Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit pushed back to 2012?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 3:33am

Post #1 of 36 (2270 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit pushed back to 2012? Can't Post

ContactMusic

Is running a story (more like a blip on the radar) that The Hobbit won't be released until 2012.

Does anyone know if there is substance to this claim?

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 3:39am

Post #2 of 36 (824 views)
Shortcut
Here is the article copy... [In reply to] Can't Post

LORD OF THE RINGS fans will have to wait another four years to get their next big screen fix of the franchise - its prequel THE HOBBIT has been postponed until 2012.
Earlier this year (08), it was announced Guillermo del Toro would direct the new film, based on JRR Tolkien's novel.
Lord of the Rings Oscar winner Peter Jackson is producing the project, and he and del Toro will pen the screenplay.
Sir Ian MCKellen has already signed on to reprise his role of Gandalf, and Andy Serkis is expected to play Gollum once again.
Shooting was scheduled to start in New Zealand this winter (08/09), but it has now been postponed until 2010 - with the release day pushed back to 2012.
The reason for the delay is unknown.

12/18/2008 10:21:56 PM

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2008, 3:46am

Post #3 of 36 (714 views)
Shortcut
I certainly haven't heard anything around here [In reply to] Can't Post

and everything I found online referred back to this article. It's interesting (and annoying) that they don't even allude to their sources. There's no way to confirm whether or not this might be true.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for December

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 3:49am

Post #4 of 36 (683 views)
Shortcut
It is annoying... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to spin a bad rumor... the web can be a fickle beast...

If it is true, I'm sure we will hear about it soon enoughUnsure

Nimloth
Lorien

Dec 19 2008, 4:08am

Post #5 of 36 (715 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Shooting was scheduled to start in New Zealand this winter (08/09), but it has now been postponed until 2010 - with the release day pushed back to 2012.
12/18/2008 10:21:56 PM

Didn't GDT said very recently that shooting will start in 2010. It was never going to start 08/09.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2008, 5:18am

Post #6 of 36 (685 views)
Shortcut
I think somebody believed IMDB [In reply to] Can't Post

IMDB is a great website but not credible for things like dates. It lists the film as 2012 but I feel certain that for now the schedule remains the same. I will check around just in case.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2008, 11:01am

Post #7 of 36 (645 views)
Shortcut
NO WAY! I simply won't allow it. And that's FLAT! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 19 2008, 1:15pm

Post #8 of 36 (619 views)
Shortcut
I generally disbelieve such things. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything other than official statements from those involved, I mean. I especially disbelieve anything where there's no source given.

"You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard," said Gandalf. "He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter."

zippytherargian
The Shire

Dec 19 2008, 2:33pm

Post #9 of 36 (625 views)
Shortcut
was never 08/09 shooting... [In reply to] Can't Post

last i heard they had scheduled shooting to start at the end of 09 with the first film out 2011 and the second 2012... i think this is just rumour, no substance at all....

Elven
Valinor

Dec 19 2008, 2:54pm

Post #10 of 36 (654 views)
Shortcut
Another year? ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first reports were stated as saying it was 2010 and 2011 - then a little more official time line was given with the 2011 and 2012 - what now - 2012 ans 2013?

Pick a number - any number Cool

There are still no official reports coming through though ... so lets wait it out ...
meanwhile back at the ranch ...
I have Scrabble or Monopoly ... I'll be the car.
So who's in Smile

Unsure
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Dec 19 2008, 3:17pm

Post #11 of 36 (610 views)
Shortcut
I'd only trust [In reply to] Can't Post

the official sources. I am sure if there is any noticeable delay, we will hear it from GDT here. It may be true, but I will not believe it until I have a reliable confirmation of it. So don't worry too much too soon.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

weathertop
Lorien

Dec 19 2008, 3:26pm

Post #12 of 36 (581 views)
Shortcut
i'll take the dog or the battleship [In reply to] Can't Post

;^)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 3:34pm

Post #13 of 36 (615 views)
Shortcut
Bittersweet ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an additional 2 years that we mighth ave to wait, but I'm sure the end product will be much better. Being Guillermo's first crack at a Tolkien movie, he'll need to time I'm sure.

bowencm
Rivendell

Dec 19 2008, 4:18pm

Post #14 of 36 (591 views)
Shortcut
...we CAN handle the truth... [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree...i'm sure GDT would pop on and lay down the law if something crapped out...come on GDT, tell us its all a big farce!! Tongue

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 4:26pm

Post #15 of 36 (587 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

The source seems unreliable...

But I'm sure that TORn will soon have a confirmation.

Heh, it will be interesting to see what rumors spring up the next couple years :D

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2008, 4:42pm

Post #16 of 36 (660 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it turned out to be a rumour [In reply to] Can't Post

It is always tricky, internet news, before you know it a story is in the world, and very hard to deny again.

But I'm glad to read at the frontpage it has been denied by GdT. I already found it a bit strange he didn't mention it in his recent post, if it was true.

So at least one year less to wait, although that still sounds like such a long wait.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 4:53pm

Post #17 of 36 (607 views)
Shortcut
I do love that guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

He quashed that rumour almost as soon as it began!

I wasn't too worried, as you said, there was no mention of things being delayed in his recent post. And I tend to only believe things from official sources.

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Dec 19 2008, 5:25pm

Post #18 of 36 (586 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he heard you [In reply to] Can't Post

and debunked the rumour as false, yay! Smile

Owain
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2008, 7:55pm

Post #19 of 36 (583 views)
Shortcut
Cool... I'm glad things are still on schedule... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

I was hoping that it was just a rumor.

leo
Rohan

Dec 20 2008, 9:26am

Post #20 of 36 (659 views)
Shortcut
I knew GDT said he'd have a surprise for us sometime soon... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I'm glad this isn't it ;-)

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 20 2008, 7:33pm

Post #21 of 36 (565 views)
Shortcut
2010? 2011? 2012? Anyone for 2013? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised when I first saw this as an article on Yahoo! News. I knew it couldn't possibly be true. What surprised me is that the World Entertainment News Network, which is apparently the original source, could have gotten this so wrong. If you are interested in how I handled this as the Hobbit news reporter for Hollywood Jesus, you can find my report here. Of course, I have been mistaken about the release date myself, which you can see here. Smile

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

(This post was edited by Mark Sommer on Dec 20 2008, 7:36pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 20 2008, 7:42pm

Post #22 of 36 (491 views)
Shortcut
Good on you Mark. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would it be too much to expect that those websites that reported the incorrect information will update their readers with a correction?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Dec 20 2008, 8:56pm

Post #23 of 36 (459 views)
Shortcut
Good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

there are reporters who check the facts before posting false rumours! Smile

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Dec 21 2008, 3:16am

Post #24 of 36 (471 views)
Shortcut
Reporting corrections [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a few websites that do report corrections, but they are few and far between it seems.

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 21 2008, 7:15am

Post #25 of 36 (549 views)
Shortcut
Here is what I think happened . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I think somebody is laughing. I can't decide if the person is up to nefarious tricks or if they were genuinely duped and innocently spread the word.

A couple of days before this was posted on any website, the TORn folks received an email that is pretty much word-for-word of the story I saw. One difference is that the story sent to TORn linked to here which is simply the Hobbit listing on IMDB.com.

Now as many know, IMDB is far from reliable on dates and a it isn't a site meant to be accurate with news, but rather a compilation of information that relies on lots of different sources for info. Somebody, somewhere put "The Hobbit" with a 2012 release in IMDB.com.

So this person, with whatever motive, wrote the story and started sending it around. They saw "2012" on a website and started reporting it as fact. If you go look back and read it the story linked to from TORn main, it has NO attribution, NO source and NO real info except a claim that doesn't make any sense. I suggested and TORn agreed that it shouldn't be posted at all at TORn. It didn't meet even the smallest journalistic standards.

However, the internet is a place where anybody can post anything and so this creates an urgency to post "information" immediately and check on the truth of it later. The internet has created a new level of news racing.

Anyway, once this story started popping up and then getting sent to TORn as a link, well, now it is out there and requires attention.

I wasn't privy to the conversation with GDT about it but he did say in another communication that it had no source and no attribution. So, the movie director definitely had a lot more knowledge about news standards and expectations of outlets actually seeking truth, not just news.

There has been a rash of "news reports" about the next Batman movie on all kinds of websites. You can read that Eddie Murphy, not Johnny Depp as earlier reported, will be playing The Riddler in the next Christopher Nolan Batman movie. You can read about that in a bylined story at the New York Daily News, but I hate to give them clicks for reporting garbage so here is a couple of graphs:

<<
Comic book fanboys across the globe are all atwitter after fresh reports that Eddie Murphy will play the Riddler in the next "Batman" movie.
The Sun reported today that Christopher Nolan has tapped Murphy for the role in the follow-up film to "The Dark Knight," which is rumored to be titled "Gotham."
The unconfirmed rumor contradicts earlier whispers that Johnny Depp would reinvent the role in the new film, which is slated to hit theaters in 2010.
Jim Carrey played the part in 1995's "Batman Forever." The Sun also says that "Transformers" star Shia LeBeouf has been tapped to play Robin, and Rachel Weisz will portray Catwoman.
Rumors had circulated that that role would go to Cher, 62. Sources say the film will have a cliff-hanger ending, leaving audiences to wonder if Batman survives an explosion at Wayne Towers.
"Chris wasn't sure if he wanted to do another movie, but as soon as he decided to, he got the wheels in motion," an insider told the British tabloid. "Eddie's a fantastic addition. Everyone's excited to see what he does as the Riddler."
>>
The only problem with this story is that Christopher Nolan isn't signed to do another Batman movie and there isn't such thing as a "treatment" for that film, much less a script which are both needed to nail down characters, form budgets and hire actors. There may never (hopefull not!) even be a Riddler. It seems un-Nolanlike that there would be. There is no possibility, no chance, that that story is true but because "The Sun" printed it, the New York Daily News ran with it. Further, Shallon Lester but his byline on what I copied above! All he did is type a story from reading an internet page. How embarassing for him! Batman gets page clicks so sites print anything.

This is all very annoying and damages a lot of Websites because readers are going to lump us all together. Anyway, I am pretty sure that in this case, the source is easy to track and may not have meant harm but may have thought they were funny or they were just being stupid.

Kudos, big time, to Mark for have a little journalistic integrity!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

(This post was edited by MrCere on Dec 21 2008, 7:20am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.