The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 16 2008, 8:02am

Post #1 of 23 (231 views)
Shortcut
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal Can't Post

Can’t you hear the drums roll? Can’t you hear the drums roll? Santa Claus is coming My journal page now is online.
I just couldn't resist. It doesn't really scan, but hey. The (fun) trouble we go through for this season's holiday...

Anyway, I just wanted to say my page now is up on Kelvarhin's site.

Cheers!

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

sador
Half-elven

Dec 16 2008, 8:49am

Post #2 of 23 (153 views)
Shortcut
And you just made it to Lorien... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, it didn't scan well; but it looks a nice page.
What music do you play?

"I had so much to do here; and packing is such a bother" - Bilbo

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 16 2008, 9:01am

Post #3 of 23 (149 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

You noticed I moved on, wow. I hadn't even realised I reached a new destination in Middle Earth. Just goes to show the extent of my absent-mindedness.

Far as the band goes, it's music from the sixties up until some more recent music. There's the Beatles, Sting/The Police, Led Zeppelin, Blues Brothers, even a bit of Robbie Williams. Won't bore you with the names of Dutch singers/bands you probably won't know anyway (famous as they may be around here). Lots of rock and similar genres with a few slower songs inbetween, basically.
As for me, when I can be bothered to pick up the guitar (I'm awful at it) it's usually some evergreens.

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 16 2008, 11:00am

Post #4 of 23 (158 views)
Shortcut
cool! What does it say... [In reply to] Can't Post

under the top left hand picture, the picture of you on-stage in hat and coat?

So you're a roadie for a band? That is cool!

Boy, when this journal gets to me it's going to die from the boredom of my life, poor thing.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 16 2008, 11:20am

Post #5 of 23 (154 views)
Shortcut
We'll drink a double espresso [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, your life cannot possible be that boring. If only you knew what my everyday is like apart from the occasional fun stuff you'd feel all too good about yours Wink

Beneath that pic it reads: "Me trying to be an Irish cabman (accent caused laughter)".
We were doing a play called The Matchmaker by Thornton Wilder, which is set in New York City of the 1920s. I got the part of a cabman. Decided that the character was probably from the lower classes and hence I needed an accent apart from my posh British (- which I have been taught at uni). Trying to do something else, my mouth suddenly decided to utter some very fake Irish. It caused a round of laughter that lasted several minutes the first time around because it sounded so silly (in a fun way). Took several more rehearsals for people to stop sniggering whenever I said anything.
It also worked miracles for the audience.

Samwise's cookbook (new & updated)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2008, 2:46pm

Post #6 of 23 (146 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

What fun to see your page! I had no idea you were so *young*; you've been around here forever ;-)

Is that thing about the drums rolling part of a song? I'm not placing it.

I can see that somehow I got *way* behind on following the journal. *scurries off to write on the website messageboard*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2008, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 23 (140 views)
Shortcut
Your Irish caused laughter? :D [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool is that!? WOOHOO!!! Lookit you! I'm so glad you added your bit to the Journal. It wouldn't be a TORn memento without you!

*warm hug*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Zmulady
Rohan

Dec 16 2008, 7:00pm

Post #8 of 23 (133 views)
Shortcut
I like your page Stapper [In reply to] Can't Post

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2008, 7:15pm

Post #9 of 23 (129 views)
Shortcut
Great page!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The journal is getting closer! I can almost smell it!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2008, 7:15pm

Post #10 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I lost track of the journal - just caught up with all the European pages, they're great!

Figwit Still Lives!

Calling for a Figwit cameo in The Hobbit since May 2008

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2008, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 23 (134 views)
Shortcut
Great page [In reply to] Can't Post

and nice to finally put a face to all the PM's of recently.

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2008, 10:48pm

Post #12 of 23 (124 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, it looks wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Glad to have you on here! Smile

Oh, and no worries about the scanning....if you'd like, we can always get it scanned again and uploaded. I love the pictures, though, and I did look up your band! (sounds really fun!)

Thanks, Stapper! Laugh

Traveling Journal Official Site

"Who needs drugs when you spend all your money on books?"
-Menelwyn

"A friend helps you find your Silmaril. A true friend helps you slay kin, cross icy wastes, battle your rellies, lose your hand to a Dark Lord and cast yourself into a fissure in the earth."
-Ataahua

"...But life has thus far failed to adjust itself to my liking, so I soldier on."
-Magpie

"I just thought I would share this story, because today is a great day."
-Hobbiton

"True nerddom/geekdom/dorkdom does not kick in until you are in your 50s taking a nerd/geek/dork test on the discussion board of an internet fan site for a fantasy novel/film."
-Squire

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2008, 11:04pm

Post #13 of 23 (134 views)
Shortcut
No, no!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, just think about that pollantir post by Dreamdeer, about difficulties in life and all that. It was funny to see some people say that their life has been stress-free despite writing what seems to be a fairly rough review. A lot of that stuff just seems to be how you look at it. People who know me know that I get really excited over the eeniest little mundane things. I'm trying to think of an example....I don't know. When I learn a new word, I've got to tell people. When I hear a new song that I like, I've got to send it to everyone. Heck, I've even told people when I've had a new thought sometimes! I suppose those things might not qualify as "interesting", but I still tell everyone, because it's just fun!

Believe me, a.s., the way I see things, it is literally impossible to have a boring life (actually, I think it's somewhat of an oxymoron). I really am looking forward to seeing your page! Laugh

Traveling Journal Official Site

"Who needs drugs when you spend all your money on books?"
-Menelwyn

"A friend helps you find your Silmaril. A true friend helps you slay kin, cross icy wastes, battle your rellies, lose your hand to a Dark Lord and cast yourself into a fissure in the earth."
-Ataahua

"...But life has thus far failed to adjust itself to my liking, so I soldier on."
-Magpie

"I just thought I would share this story, because today is a great day."
-Hobbiton

"True nerddom/geekdom/dorkdom does not kick in until you are in your 50s taking a nerd/geek/dork test on the discussion board of an internet fan site for a fantasy novel/film."
-Squire

(This post was edited by Laerasëa on Dec 16 2008, 11:06pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2008, 11:12pm

Post #14 of 23 (119 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Thank you, Stapper! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's too bad you couldn't fit more of your photos on that page, I especially like the misty river!

And you're getting your Master's in American lit! Are you concentrating on any particular author?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Anorien
Rohan

Dec 17 2008, 12:01am

Post #15 of 23 (116 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Puppy!

I like the band your in. That would be me, I don't play an instrument, but I kinda sing. Sounds like lots of fun!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 17 2008, 12:55am

Post #16 of 23 (117 views)
Shortcut
I've already told you [In reply to] Can't Post

how much I love your page, but it's worth saying again... I love your page Smile

Loved your comment about your Irish cabbie Laugh

*hugs again*
Kel xHeart

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Mar
Gondor

Dec 17 2008, 1:54am

Post #17 of 23 (121 views)
Shortcut
*Hands Stapper a cigar* Well done!! Did they tell you all participants get a [In reply to] Can't Post

nice hand rolled stogie? They didn't???
Well, too bad that you don't smoke - perhaps you could give it to someone in the band - surely one of them smokes cigars? No?? Well, perhaps give it as a Christmas gift?? Yeah. That should work.

Great to see you on the boards. Hope that 'secret mission' we are cooking up comes to fruition.
Thanks for sharing your great addition to the Journal.
I suppose I should stop procrastinating and sign up for it as well...
Then I too can get a cigar.....

Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable - fall asleep and miss your life.

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 17 2008, 9:11am

Post #18 of 23 (106 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it nice? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I could add it as an attachment here for you, but I have this sneaky suspicion TPTB won't allow me to upload files that big. It being 10 megapizel and all...
I do have a photo account online, though am still in the early stages of adding pics. You sould be able to see the pics by following this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stappy/. The mystic river's already there Smile

We're not focussing on any author in particular yet, that'll probably come when writing my thesis. No idea which one it'll be. I'm taking courses on 20th century literature, with three courses on minority groups (e.g. African Americans & North American Indians). It's great, though lots of work. In the past 14 weeks, I've had to read 14 novels! The kind that averages 300 pages, preferably a bit more.
I don't know what spare time is any more!

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 17 2008, 9:17am

Post #19 of 23 (150 views)
Shortcut
Have a cigar [In reply to] Can't Post

a.k.a.: have some Pink Floyd Smile
Oh wait, you have to first sign up and make a page!

The fruit's ripening, BTW. You'd never guess, in winter.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2008, 11:14am

Post #20 of 23 (104 views)
Shortcut
Those are great pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how you've used light to create, at times, an almost surreal scene, like those tents, or a soft scene, like that little boy's face. And those leaves are so - lonely!

Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 17 2008, 11:22am

Post #21 of 23 (105 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta love your camera...
That boy was totally sweet. He actually liked having his picture taken, while most people are taken aback when they have a dSLR pointed at them. Luckily his parents allowed me to make a photograph! Or five.

Stapper
Lorien

Dec 17 2008, 6:22pm

Post #22 of 23 (106 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what you get for coming here early, at the age of 17. Smile And some reasonably okay English class in secondary school (mandatory for all students). To make things 'worse': I won't be 24 till in a week and a half. Sinse I got the journal so close to my birthday, I figured I could already change 23 into 24.

About that drums rolling thing. One of the largest Dutch radio stations' jingle goes as follows: "Can't you hear the sleigh bells? Can't you hear the sleigh bells? Santa Claus is coming to town." Well, at least their Christmas jingle goes like that. (Yes, the jingle's in English.)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2008, 7:21pm

Post #23 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck, I've even told people when I've had a new thought sometimes!

and we love you for it.

a boring life (actually, I think that's somewhat of an oxymoron)

ooh... what a profound little statement that is. I like it.

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.