Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Frodo's Fellowship Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 16 2008, 12:59am

Post #1 of 15 (11732 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Frodo's Fellowship Costume? Can't Post

Sam and Frodo go through 27 'continuity' changes in Mordor, alone. There was always a member of the costume team on set and if the film crew decided to dirty up the costume or if one of the actor's tore his costume they would photograph it and tear/dirty each costume back home to match. There were more than 40 costumes made for Frodo's journey!

Frodo's costume develops from what you see above to this:

Frodo wears rust brown pants made of cotton velvet or velveteen. They have a front drop opening, a sort of flap that buttons up on both sides. The buttons are covered in the same fabric.

Sadly, I don't have a great picture of the pants, but you can see the top of them here. You can also see his suspenders and his shirt here.

The shirt is a cotton button-down, but what's interesting is that the sleeves are made from a pin-striped material. I hope that you can see it in some of these pictures. The sleeves are gathered at the shoulder and at the cuff giving them a little bit of 'poof'.

Over the shirt he wears a rust velvet vest, slightly lighter than his velvet pants, with five buttons up the front with three pockets (one breast pocket and two waist pockets).

The jacket is one of my favorite pieces of costuming in the movie. It's a brown wool jacket and the lapels are made from the same color velvet as his pants.

In lieu of amazing pictures, let me give you an amazing sketch of this jacket from the Alley Cat Scratch site. This was done by Primmy. I hope that it will give you a better sense of how the coat is shaped.

And, of course, over all of this he dons his green cloak with the cross-over front fastening. He trades this in for his Lothlorien cloak, though.

As always, you can find more details over at AlleyCatScratch.

Any thoughts on this costume?

Did You Ever Notice? is a regular feature of the boards taking a look at the detail in LOTR one costume at a time. It is a wandering discussion that takes place on no particular day and follows no particular order. Previous discussions can always be found at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for December

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2008, 4:34am

Post #2 of 15 (9144 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful, [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for this. I love Frodo's costume. It looks like what the young master of Bag End should wear! How natty he looks at the beginning of FOTR really makes a contrast to how he looks when he gets to Mt. Doom.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 16 2008, 9:22am

Post #3 of 15 (9144 views)
Shortcut
One question: [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Frodo's Shire cloak, but how does it fasten without pulling the cloak's shoulders forward? Is this movie trickery or very good design?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2008, 11:55am

Post #4 of 15 (9166 views)
Shortcut
Oh My! Now you've gone and done it! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my favourite of all the costumes. Frodo's Shire cloak especially. I've lusted after that thing ever since the first time I saw it! It's Gorgeous! I nearly fainted when I saw Frodo's clothes at the LotR Exhibit in Indianapolis. I just stood there are cried. It's so textured, warm and earthy… perfect colouring and look for Frodo.

Some interesting things about his shirt. It was originally closed from mid-waist down. One paneled piece. You can see the remnants of that line across the middle. They realized after they started filming that it needed to be open all the way down. I believe there are some early shots with the shirt still closed. I believe it had something to do with when he started to wear the Mithril Shirt.

The stripes on his sleeves are so subtle… much like Pippin's, shirt which is also striped.

The suspenders are the thing I love as much as the Shire cloak. At the exhibit, you could see how delicately braided or woven they were with a heavy thread and a blend of blues and khaki-coloured blondes. It was in a sort of triangle pattern when all was said and done. I have never found a really good, clear picture of it… but I'm still hunting! You pic here and when Frodo and Sam are on the rocks above the lava flow have some really good close-ups of them.

I never realized how many outfits and challenges there were! I'd heard of the pictures and continuity of the damage on the other costumes, but 40! WOW!

*sigh* I just love this outfit… and your posts! Thank you so much!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 16 2008, 2:22pm

Post #5 of 15 (9125 views)
Shortcut
Another question: What are those straps in the top picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones that go under his arms, but over his cloak. It looks like straps to a back pack, but wouldn't there have to be holes in the cloak to get them through?
Or is it some sort of contraption to keep the cloak pushed back and out of the way?

And I never noticed before that Frodo's shirt sleeves were striped. Thanks!

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 16 2008, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 15 (9103 views)
Shortcut
now, all he needs are some sensible shoes... [In reply to] Can't Post

The fabrics, style, etc. all make sense, don't they? These look like the kind of clothes you'd expect hobbits to wear -- they look very natural, in terms of the colors, fabrics, design, etc.

Looking at the details here makes me think that it's the very realistic, logical approach they took to the costuming for the hobbits that helps to make them work, as smaller creatures, on film -- dressing them right, in ways that aren't cute or fanciful or unrealistic removes one barrier to making them believable on screen.

The other thing that strikes me about this costume is how "practical" it is -- this is the kind of outfit you can sleep in, travel in, layer or unlayer, dress up or dress down -- in short, the perfect quest attire. I'm sure Elijah Wood was grateful to have something that looks so comfortable, too, for all those times he fell asleep on the set!

Weaver

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2008, 7:19pm

Post #7 of 15 (9087 views)
Shortcut
I've always loved his brown jacket [In reply to] Can't Post

The cut of it is lovely. Wouldn't mind something similar for myself!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Dec 16 2008, 9:03pm

Post #8 of 15 (9102 views)
Shortcut
Such a wonderful costume. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always fun to see how the costume changes throughout the movies. I love the cloak that he has before the Lothlorien one is given to him. Though of course the Lorien one is just as cool in a different way. :)

~ Henoluin ~

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with Ketchup."

(This post was edited by Henoluin Elsilim on Dec 16 2008, 9:04pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2008, 7:42am

Post #9 of 15 (9120 views)
Shortcut
Those are [In reply to] Can't Post

the straps of his pack. I believe the cloaks did have slits for the straps to pass through. I vaguely recall someone talking about it in one of the EE extras.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Dec 17 2008, 5:15pm

Post #10 of 15 (9058 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the different shades of brown (from the days before dye lots of course), and the mix of genteel and rustic. It's so perfect in every way.

I thought the shirt was linen though? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere, but can't remember where.

I have little velvet pants (but zippered not fall-front) and a very similar shirt (both from Ann Taylor Loft -- I swear someone there likes LOTR) and sometimes wear one or the other to work, but haven't yet worked up the courage to wear them together. I'm so curious whether anyone would say, "Why are you dressed like Frodo?" Laugh One day I will, when I'm feeling silly.

Still hoping to find a similar vest and jacket. I keep my eyes open when I go to thrift stores or Ann Taylor Loft.

"You ought to begin to understand, Frodo, after all you have heard," said Gandalf. "He hated it and loved it, as he hated and loved himself. He could not get rid of it. He had no will left in the matter."

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2008, 1:26am

Post #11 of 15 (9059 views)
Shortcut
I suspect it's good design [In reply to] Can't Post

But now I'm dying to get ahold of some green fabric and test it out. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2008, 1:29am

Post #12 of 15 (9037 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode got it in one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the cloaks had slits in them for a backpack's straps to slide though. Without those slits the cloaks would bunch up and wouldn't look as cool in the movie. This made it hard for the actors to get them on and off without help, though.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 19 2008, 1:39am

Post #13 of 15 (9058 views)
Shortcut
You're right, it is linen! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I get for making assumptions! It is a linen shirt, not a cotton one.

You should wear your Frodo outfit for Halloween one year! Tolkien fans would recognize it and everyone else will just think its a nice outfit. And you'll have an excuse to carry a Sting letter opener with you Laugh I hope you do wear them together one day.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 19 2008, 3:44am

Post #14 of 15 (9070 views)
Shortcut
When you do, [In reply to] Can't Post

post photos here! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 20 2008, 8:44pm

Post #15 of 15 (9060 views)
Shortcut
My favorites are [In reply to] Can't Post

the vest and the shirt.

I like the vest cause I like vests and I like velvet, so that one's right up my alley. And I love the collar style on the shirt. I think I first noticed them in the scene with Gandalf in Bag End. The vest and shirt looked so comfortable.

I noticed the vest again when Gandalf leaves Frodo and Sam to start their journey together. They're standing in the woods and Frodo pats the vest pocket to show where the Ring is. In that scene, I felt the richness of the velvet was noticeable and it made a contrast to the very plain fabric clothing that Sam was wearing.

And I again noticed the shirt in the Galadriel's mirror scene. Without the vest, I thought the style of the shirt looked somewhat childlike (I'm not sure why), but it reinforced to me how small Frodo really was in comparison to Galadriel.

Beautiful colors and shading on all. Frodo was rather dapper, wasn't he :-).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.