Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Apparantally it is Samwise Gamgee's birthday...

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 4:53am

Post #1 of 9 (240 views)
Shortcut
Apparantally it is Samwise Gamgee's birthday... Can't Post

Today, April 6th (not quite yet that here in California, but close enough). Or, at least according to Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia of Arda. Arda says:

"The date of Sam's birthday is not certain. This date is given in Appendix D of The Lord of the Rings as the date of celebrations on the Party Field in Hobbiton. One explanation is that this was Sam's birthday, but an alternative reason is that this is also the date of the Elvish new year (called Yestare). It is possible, of course, that both explanations are correct, and Sam happened to have been born on this auspicious day."

However, is there anywhere that Tolkien clearly says (as he does with Bilbo's, Frodo's, and Aragorn's birthday) that Sam was born on April 6th, 2980? (Speaking of '2980', I just realized that the date in Appendix B and the date in Appendix C for Sam's birth year are different, at least in my 1994 edition of LOTR. That is really confusing). If anyone can give some light on this subject matter, I would really appreciate it :)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

elentari3018
Lorien

Apr 6 2007, 7:14am

Post #2 of 9 (115 views)
Shortcut
Re: question about Sam's b-day [In reply to] Can't Post

I say so because i am the Hobbit-Queen and my word is absolute. :P

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 6 2007, 9:26am

Post #3 of 9 (111 views)
Shortcut
That's a good question... and I agree that it's Today! Happy Birthday SAM! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the same discrepancies in my edition. Here's an explanation I found at Tuckborough's site... and it makes better sense to me than the explanation at The Encyclopedia of Arda.

April 6: Birth of Sam.
Note: There is a discrepancy between "The Tale of Years" (Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings), which gives Sam's birth year as 2983, and "The Longfather-Tree of Master Samwise" (Appendix C of The Lord of the Rings), which gives his birth year as 1380 S.R. or 2980. The date on the family tree seems more likely to be the correct date for several reasons. First, it is noted that Sam was 96 years old at the end of his final term as Mayor in 1476 S.R., which corresponds with a birth year of 1380 S.R. (2980). Second, on Sam's family tree his sister Marigold's birth year is given as 1383 S.R. (2983), and it is unlikely (though possible) that they were born in the same year. Third, Merry and Pippin are referred to as the "younger Hobbits" (FotR, p. 350) and Merry was born in 2982.
The date of April 6 as Sam's birthday is drawn from Appendix D of The Lord of the Rings: "... there grew up a custom of making holiday and dancing in the Party Field, when weather permitted, on April 6. Some said that it was old Sam Gardner's birthday, some that it was the day on which the Golden Tree first flowered in 1420, and some that it was the Elves' New Year." (p. 390)

It seems like the Tree flowering on his birthday would be a gift from Galadriel in celebration and appreciation of Sam. It appeals to my sense of order ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 10:01am

Post #4 of 9 (95 views)
Shortcut
Date noted down, then... Happy Birthday, dear Sam! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2007, 11:27am

Post #5 of 9 (99 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Sam! Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Thank you, Ainu Laire and gramma, that's right!

And it is only fitting, isn't it, to have a very special tree come into flower on the anniversary of the birth of a very special gardener.

Yep, Sam had been "chosen", as much as BIlbo and Frodo were...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

FrodoBagginsLives

Apr 6 2007, 4:37pm

Post #6 of 9 (82 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyways.....Happy Birthday Sam!!

I will take the ring to Mordor....though I don't know the way.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 9:05pm

Post #7 of 9 (80 views)
Shortcut
Well, then, date noted! Happy birthday Sam! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your input, guys! If anything, it's great to celebrate another birthday *g*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

elentari3018
Lorien

Apr 9 2007, 3:58pm

Post #8 of 9 (67 views)
Shortcut
love how you said... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, Sam had been "chosen", as much as BIlbo and Frodo were...

Truly the smallest persons has changed the course of the history of Middle-earth. :D Yay for hobbitses and happy birthday (belated) again to Samwise. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

elentari3018
Lorien

Apr 9 2007, 4:00pm

Post #9 of 9 (76 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for quoting from the Thain's book... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that the Encyclopedia of Arda also has that Apr. 6th is Sam's b-day. The Tale of Years in the LotR Appendix doesn't say that it's the sixth though.. only the year of birth. I think that is why Ainu_Laire was confused. =) I wonder if it is noted down on what the birthdays of Merry and Pippin are...

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.