Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What has been the coolest SciFi creation?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What has been the coolest SciFi creation?
Faster-than-light space travel
Time travel
Teleportation devices
Stabilised wormholes
Lightsabers
Laser guns
Nanites
Stargates
Cyborgs
Interactive holograms
Artificial intelligence
Mechanically amplified mind powers
Other?
View Results (130 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2008, 7:19am

Post #1 of 26 (653 views)
Shortcut
What has been the coolest SciFi creation? Can't Post

SciFi writers are among our great thinkers when it comes to what could be - so which of these devices do you think is the coolest idea among them? (You can choose more than one.)

And even though they're cool, would you really like them to be made for real?

(Note: I'm not including ideas that have become reality, such as man-made satellites, space stations, medical DNA or cloning - or even fax machines.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 11 2008, 4:58am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2008, 2:34pm

Post #2 of 26 (258 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a Science Fiction fan since the 1950s, so I've seen it change. Faster-than-light travel has been around, but I also chose stabilized wormholes, laser guns and artifical intelligence just because these are things I like to see in the books I read. Without FTL or wormholes, there is not much story because of time and distance contstraints.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 10 2008, 2:52pm

Post #3 of 26 (285 views)
Shortcut
I voted for Time Travel, [In reply to] Can't Post

without realizing you could vote for more than one. So if some nice admin reading this would also tick "lightsabers" for me, I'll be your best friend.

I think time travel would be awesome to try, but if it ever became a reality, we'd be royally messed up. Just think of all the do-gooders who'd go back in time to eradicate this or that bad guy and inadvertantly affect the outcome of so many other interconnected things.

And my uncle the physicist would tell you that if you can go faster than light, you *are* time-travelling. Tongue

Light sabers would be cool weapons to have, too. I don't think they'd be any worse than any other RL weapon. It would probably be a pain to have to carry around extra batteries, but no more so than carrying around extra bullets. Plus I would love to see all the gangstas trying to shove a lightsaber down the front of their pants. ShockedLaugh

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2008, 4:56pm

Post #4 of 26 (270 views)
Shortcut
Forget gangstas ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine if Plaxico Burress shoved a lightsaber down his pants.

Evil Angelic Cool

PS: For our TORNsibs outside the USA or who don't follow sports, he's the NFL player who accidentally shot himself in the thigh at a nightclub with a handgun hidden in his sweatpants.

PPS: Yes, sweatpants. In a nightclub. The mind boggles.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2008, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 26 (249 views)
Shortcut
'Lightsabers + 1' - done. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2008, 8:53pm

Post #6 of 26 (264 views)
Shortcut
Time travel and teleportation [In reply to] Can't Post

Teleportation because it'd be cool to never have to get stuck in traffic again. Though, you'd have less of an excuse for turning up late!

Time travel... just so I could go back and observe things from history that interest me. Or, see how certain stories that have been embellished over the years really happened!

And sometimes when I mess up with something I'd love to be able to hop back and fix it! Though I'm pretty sure it's not the right thing to do!

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Dec 11 2008, 12:14am

Post #7 of 26 (253 views)
Shortcut
I will take a TARDIS please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Goes anywhere in time and space? Yes please.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Dec 11 2008, 2:51am

Post #8 of 26 (260 views)
Shortcut
My two favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

are the Transporter from Star Trek and the Millenium Falcon. That way you could always get where you were going.

<Picturing beaming into a U2 concert Evil>

What a grand question! Now to find people who can make them real!

Eruwestial

Zmulady
Rohan

Dec 11 2008, 5:01pm

Post #9 of 26 (217 views)
Shortcut
hard choice but [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked the first two. Time Travel would be really cool. It's even scary to think about. The possibilities are endless.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2008, 6:20pm

Post #10 of 26 (230 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to have an intelligent house [In reply to] Can't Post

This would fall under artificial intelligence (plus robotics), but I'd love to have an intelligent house like the ones that Ray Bradbury wrote about. OK, so maybe not just like them (IIRC, one of his houses becomes homicidal); perhaps a somewhat smart house that can clean and repair itself but does not cater to its inhabitants every whim. (I'm looking at a big housecleaning before Christmas and some plumbing repairs, and I'm so not into either of them.)

Time travel and FTL space travel would be super-cool, too, especially if combined in a TARDIS.

As for cyborgs -- humans with implanted mechanical/electronic/robotic parts -- we've got 'em already. My dad is one. He's got an implanted pacemaker-defibrillator that's basically a robotic adjunct to his heart's electrical system. And a friend has a bionic bust (reconstructive surgery after breast cancer) and a bionic hip (joint replacement), making her a cyborg too. My cousin might also count as a cyborg, since she's got an insulin pump (i.e., a bionic pancreas).

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Dec 11 2008, 6:27pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 11 2008, 7:36pm

Post #11 of 26 (222 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about 'coolest' [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm never good at declaring anything the 'best' but I think holodecks are pretty cool. Roleplaying taken to a whole new level.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 12 2008, 5:47am

Post #12 of 26 (192 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished reading Thursday Next: First Among Sequels, in which the author posits that time travel is impossible, under the principle of scrambled eggs...i.e., what's done is done, and you can't go back and "undone" it. Laugh

(Of course, it made a lot more sense, and was a lot funnier, how he put it...Crazy)

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 12 2008, 2:07pm

Post #13 of 26 (224 views)
Shortcut
NOOooooo! I'm a Cyborg!!!! Waaaa! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a defibrillator/pacemaker thingie, too! Laugh

Little Eruvande calls it a robot.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2008, 5:15pm

Post #14 of 26 (241 views)
Shortcut
You're the Bionic Woman! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pick whichever one you like better -- the peppy 1970s one or the angsty 2000s one. Sly

We started calling my dad the "Six million dollar man" after he got his pacemaker-defibrillator.

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Dec 12 2008, 5:19pm)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2008, 7:18pm

Post #15 of 26 (202 views)
Shortcut
Travel obsessed [In reply to] Can't Post

Teleportation, time travel and faster than light travel should be the greatest discoveries for man kind if they ever come to be.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2008, 7:40pm

Post #16 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

that travel technology is leaving gadgets in the dust. Are we genetically programmed to want to see what's on the other side of the hill, or are we just really impatient to get there? ;P

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2008, 9:20pm

Post #17 of 26 (176 views)
Shortcut
Maybe both... [In reply to] Can't Post

But mainly impacient. Tongue We like to see what's out there... but we want to be out there fast.

RosieLass
Valinor

Dec 12 2008, 10:10pm

Post #18 of 26 (181 views)
Shortcut
I'm just looking for a way to get to work on time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Without, you know, having to leave enough time for the commute. Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 12 2008, 11:59pm

Post #19 of 26 (330 views)
Shortcut
Hah! Fair enough! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Milady
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 1:32pm

Post #20 of 26 (208 views)
Shortcut
I stand by my SW obsession [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will maintain that lightsabers are awesome.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2009, 12:23am

Post #21 of 26 (180 views)
Shortcut
Lightsabers for sure ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Transforming swords into one of the most powerful futuristic weapons of all time was just genious. Plus, it makes for some excellent fan films. Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 7:34pm

Post #22 of 26 (252 views)
Shortcut
Miniskirts and catsuits [In reply to] Can't Post

The outfits the ladies wore on those old scifi pulp covers could really get a boy's blood going.

Uhura is the coolest scifi creation ever.

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Jan 16 2009, 12:42am

Post #23 of 26 (113 views)
Shortcut
hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

really hard to choose! I'd say the best sci-fi movie series is, definitely, The Matrix. It's fabulous.

willowgreylock
Lorien

Jan 24 2009, 7:39pm

Post #24 of 26 (129 views)
Shortcut
SCI-FI creations [In reply to] Can't Post

along with a lot of the ones mentioned in the poll, i'm also always fascinated by all the medical
technology they come with. like in 'star trek', they just wave a hand held device over the persons
body, and have all the info. they need for the diagnosis. in 'star wars', they mechanicaly attach a
brand spankin new robotic hand on luke, apparntly pain free, and in no time he's good to go.
i could go on and on, but i think you get my drift. The medical miracles they've come up with for the
future are GREAT!
Oh, and YES, I would love for them to be made for real.

Cegwyn
Bree

Feb 1 2009, 4:41am

Post #25 of 26 (158 views)
Shortcut
Lightsabers [In reply to] Can't Post

kssshh! zmmmmwooshzmmmmKISHSKREESKASHzmmmmmshwiiit. Yeah.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.