Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Did anyone study English?

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 5 2007, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 12 (175 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone study English? Can't Post

Apart from in secondary school, that is.

The reason I ask is as follows:
Together with a friend of mine I edit the study magazine (GAG_MAG, newest edition not yet online) of my studies (English Language and Culture). Now, many of us students (including me) don't really have a clue on what we want to be. For this reason my co-editor and me some time ago took up the idea of making a series of articles in the GAG_MAG in which several career choices for those who've graduated are highlighted. For these articles, we're looking for people who've studied English and are willing to write 1-4 pages on their current/past job(s) -- preferable when it still has something to do with the English language. So far, we've seen freelance translating and freelance teaching covered.

Now, since I have this feeling there are a few amongst you who've studied English, I was rather hoping there'd be at least one amongst you who's willing to write a bit about your past and/or present job(s). Many students'll be grateful for it, me first of all!

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

(This post was edited by Stapper on Apr 5 2007, 8:47pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 5 2007, 10:15pm

Post #2 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
Well, I studied English and Art [In reply to] Can't Post

for a teaching certificate to teach children aged 9 - 13. I did one year full-time teaching after I left college, and since then I've done temporary teaching, and worked in the advice sector and am now working for an environmental charity on project work and admin. I wouldn't say the main focus of any of my jobs has been English itself, but my knowledge of how to use the language effectively has enhanced the work I've done, and improved the material I've produced. That might mean writing news releases, doing radio interviews, writing articles for newsletters, creating posters and leaflets, taking minutes for meetings - all sorts of stuff.

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 5 2007, 10:29pm

Post #3 of 12 (87 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

After graduation, the most common jobs of which we are sure we can do anything with English are teaching and translating. It's the other career options that are also very worthy of exploration, because those are the more unfamiliar ones.
Would you be willing to write a short article? Perhaps you could check the December 2006 edition of the GAG_MAG to have an idea of the magazine's contents and an example of how somebody else handled this kind of article. Of course, you could write the article (if you should write it) any way you like. Since the audience has an average to good knowledge of English (though still not native-like in writing/speech), you wouldn't have to dumb down the language you use.

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

Penthe
Gondor

Apr 5 2007, 11:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (96 views)
Shortcut
I studed English literature, creative writing and media studies [In reply to] Can't Post

with electives in art history.

I work as a freelance writer/reviewer and sessional academic (which means I tutor in subjects such as children's literature, creative writing and on publishing issues, but have no job security). I have also worked as a bookseller which many of my fellow-students have also done.I got a Phd to do more research on the publishing of Australian Indigenous authored or illustrated children's books, but I don't think I'll ever finish it for family reasons. I'm currently applying for positions in the public service so that I can have a more stable income. But I hope I'll keep writing.

Other people who were in my year at university are doing these things:

- Arts adminsitrator for Arts Queensland. The organisation funds artists for big and small projects in our state, as well as formulating arts policy.
- Movie director making commercials and short films
- Primary school teacher
- Person who works for a multimedia company who make animations, ads, and other stuff that I never quite understand.
- University teacher
- Postgraduate fellows writing novels or nonfiction books as their research.
- Editor (books, not magazines or newspapres)
- Journalist
- Novelist and freelance workshop leader of creative writing

Some of the others just work in things like insurance or in call centres. Most of them claim to be still writing, but it's not actually true. We kept up a writers group for a couple of years after we graduated. Nearly everyone who is working in the writing or literature field has done more training of some kind - a higher degree, a cadetship or a graduate program of some kind.

Hope that helps. None of us had a clue what we wanted to do for work either. We just wanted as much chance to read, write and think about books as we could manage in our lives.

Oh, one guy writes for TV as well, I think. And one is managing a writers retreat in Shropshire with his wife. I don't know how he got that job. I wish I did.

(This post was edited by Penthe on Apr 5 2007, 11:11pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 6 2007, 4:02pm

Post #5 of 12 (79 views)
Shortcut
I read English Lit. [In reply to] Can't Post

And did my first grad degree in English and Theatre. Now I'm a stage director. I'd be glad to write something when I get a chance! Let me know what you need - and if, indeed, you need folks who studied English Lit as opposed to English Lang...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 6 2007, 6:33pm

Post #6 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
Unlike the study's name would suggest... [In reply to] Can't Post

... our curriculum consisits of a lot of literature and a lot of linguistics. I'd really appreciate it if you were willing to write an article on stade directing (etc)! It's another good way to put the studies into use.
Also, read my reply to Greenwood Hobbit as it may tell you a bit more.

Thanks!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2007, 10:58pm

Post #7 of 12 (64 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind writing something [In reply to] Can't Post

about when I've found my knowledge of how to use English properly has been useful to me, in the various jobs I've done. Is there a deadline that has to be met?

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 7 2007, 8:41am

Post #8 of 12 (61 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The next deadline's 15 May. I'll send you a PM with further details, OK?

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Apr 7 2007, 10:36am

Post #9 of 12 (68 views)
Shortcut
of course i would write but can I do so to your email?... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 7 2007, 10:59am

Post #10 of 12 (68 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't want to ask anyone to post their story here on TORn. My e-mail's in my profile, if you don't have it already. I'm really glad you're also willing to help me out on this.
I'm afraid I probably can't place your story in the upcoming two regular editions (June and October) of the GAG_MAG, as Greenwood Hobbit and Greendragon were sooner to reply... Would that be a problem?

*doubts whether she should perhaps double the amount of career-articles per edition*

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Apr 7 2007, 9:23pm

Post #11 of 12 (63 views)
Shortcut
I'm easy either way but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it can't be published then what exactly will you want to use it for?
will it be reference material?

please explain to a confused -e_H-Heart

always,
-e_H-Cool

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Stapper
Lorien

Apr 7 2007, 9:48pm

Post #12 of 12 (80 views)
Shortcut
I don't thnk I said [In reply to] Can't Post

.. that it couldn't be published. Just that your article won't likely be published in the upcoming edition.
I try to find one person writing on their post-student career per GAG_MAG. With three people offering to write, the three upcoming editions of the GAG_MAG will each contain one of those articles.
So, if all works out the first upcoming edition'll have Greenwood Hobbit's article, the edition after that Greendragon's, and the third GAG_MAG we'll make from now on'll have your article. Does this make more sense?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.