Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Hobbit Movie

DiveTwin
Rohan

Apr 5 2007, 7:52pm

Post #1 of 22 (1019 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Movie Can't Post

Does anyone else get the feeling that New Line might be wavering a bit? Things have been quiet lately regarding the feud between Bob Shaye and Peter Jackson - but Mr. Shaye seems to be more conciliatory in the more recent articles Iíve read. Typically heís not commenting anymore Ė which is smart Ė but wonder if that is based on both the lawsuit and maybe some pressure from MGM executives who favor Jackson making the movie.

Pure speculation and a dash of hope on my part, but I canít help but hope they can find mutual ground and allow the right thing to happen Ė and that is Peter Jackson making this film(s). I immensely respect Bob Shaye and New Line for the risks they took to get LOTR made in the first place and I donít begrudge them one bit for anything they made off of it, based on the potential downside had LOTRís tanked. And who doesnít respect Jackson for the monumental achievement that he pulled off.

Canít we just let an independent auditor clear things up (whatever that looks like) and get on with Peter making one/two great movies out of The Hobbit, along with billions for New Line Ė all while cementing the fan base and residual income for years to come?

It sucks to be naive.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 5 2007, 9:50pm

Post #2 of 22 (666 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

there's some *very* interesting stuff going on below the public's radar. I'd rather have them being tense and quiet (which indicates there are words being said) than vocal about their disdain (which tells me they've reached an impasse and need public pressure to gain any ground).

PJ's a very determined character when it comes to making what he wants come to pass. I still have faith that PJ will be involved in The Hobbit movie.

And welcome to TORN, DiveTwin!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Yechidah
The Shire

Apr 5 2007, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 22 (625 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

Likewise, I am a bit suspicious of the recent silence about the movie, and I hope to God that it means we'll be seeing a PJ-led "Hobbit" movie, with Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis. I like Sam Raimi and his work, but it's just not the right feel for me, and I'd much rather have it inkeeping with the darkness of LOTR (regardless of the tone of the book). We already have plenty of "children's fantasy" films out there - we need adult fantasy, and Middle Earth is the perfect place for it.

Let's hope we hear of a major breakthrough in relations soon, with PJ back at the helm Smile

Y.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 6 2007, 6:46am

Post #4 of 22 (618 views)
Shortcut
You make a very good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd much rather have it in keeping with the darkness of LOTR (regardless of the tone of the book). We already have plenty of "children's fantasy" films out there - we need adult fantasy, and Middle Earth is the perfect place for it.

Just because The Hobbit was originally written as "children's fantasy" doesn't mean it can't be made darker for an adult audience. There are lots of hints of darker things going on just outside the frame of the story as it is, and I just read an interesting post in the Reading Room suggesting that Tolkien himself started to revise The Hobbit to make it darker, but never was never able to complete the revision. PJ's Hobbit could be our chance to see that darker Hobbit. (I think a children's version would be very interesting to see as well - but there's no reason why that couldn't be made at some future time, after all the Narnia movies have run their course perhaps.)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Colarie

Apr 6 2007, 11:12am

Post #5 of 22 (654 views)
Shortcut
finished in 2009? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, can anyone tell me or does anyone know yet when the hobbit will be filmed?
I know there's still a lot discussion, but I plan to go to New Zealand in the next 2 years and if anyone knows something PLEASE TELL ME, because I would love to visit the sitting once Wink
On imdb.com it's announced to be in theaters in 2009, but I don't know if this information is still up to date...

Yechidah
The Shire

Apr 6 2007, 1:04pm

Post #6 of 22 (605 views)
Shortcut
Possibly... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they start soon (this summer), then they could easily have it out for Christmas 2009. Say 1 year pre-production, 6 months filming, and 1 year post-production. They would really need to get their asses in gear though, because films like this take a lot of preparation and time.

Y.

Gnothi Seauton

DiveTwin
Rohan

Apr 6 2007, 2:48pm

Post #7 of 22 (572 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I also like the darkness of LOTR and would rather see "The Hobbit" that way, keeping the theme of LOTR in sequence. LOTR set the bar for great fantasy not only in that it was well made, but that the story was taken seriously. I'm sure another director would try to keep that theme - but PJ was terrific in enbedding those great quiet moments and personal shots that really pull you into the movie - and great acting to boot. To me, PJ's movies come across in a way that shows how much he loves and respects the story and how important the emotion of the moments are.

I'm hoping that they find a way to bring him back not only for the heart he puts into his pictures - but that I trust Peter Jackson on doing the proper reseach for the other movie that bridges "The Hobbit" with "LOTR" and do it in a way that's credible.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 6 2007, 8:50pm

Post #8 of 22 (587 views)
Shortcut
Don't count on it [In reply to] Can't Post

being filmed in NZ though. While Raimi is pretty much said to be the director, there has been no word on which country is being looked at for filming. It was PJ's clout (and the NZ Government's tax credit system) that enabled LOTR to be filmed here, but New Line isn't locked into returning to this country for The Hobbit.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

fmaximus
Rivendell

Apr 7 2007, 3:11pm

Post #9 of 22 (602 views)
Shortcut
Without PJ at the helm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... New Line will have a greater challenge to get it released by 2009. With Peter Jackson they would already have the ground work in place because PJ and Weta saved a lot of the props and sets from LOTR. PJ + Co. would have a huge head start on any other director and thus be able to finish the film much much sooner.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 7 2007, 6:34pm

Post #10 of 22 (592 views)
Shortcut
Aren't the props and sets [In reply to] Can't Post

the property of New Line? If they are, and with Richard Taylor saying that Weta would work on The Hobbit if asked, NL's already got its head start.

Ataahua's stories

Ugly Troll
Bree

Apr 8 2007, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 22 (545 views)
Shortcut
I'm starting to think it would be better animated [In reply to] Can't Post

No worries about matching LOTR visually-
No worries about bad casting-
All the fantastic elements really cool CGI-
No weird filming to get the hobbit and dwarf sizes to match up-
No worries on building sets a year in advance-

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 8 2007, 7:19pm

Post #12 of 22 (556 views)
Shortcut
Bob Shaye's probably on the phone to Bakshi right now! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

glimmered and was lost.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 8 2007, 11:27pm

Post #13 of 22 (543 views)
Shortcut
Ai! A Bakshi! A Bakshi has come! [In reply to] Can't Post

This will never happen, mark my words. On the other hand, Mystery Science Theater 3000 would have a field day with it.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

drogo
Lorien

Apr 9 2007, 10:58am

Post #14 of 22 (540 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd celebrate!!!!

*runs*

Remember... Bakshi discussion is a-coming! Wink

Cool

Discuss the Bakshi Lord of the Rings on the Movie Board starting April 16

(This post was edited by drogo on Apr 9 2007, 10:58am)

hasufel
Rivendell

Apr 9 2007, 3:27pm

Post #15 of 22 (519 views)
Shortcut
good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure how that works.

But doesn't Jackson have in his possession, bag end?

Besides that, how do we know that a new director would want to use the old props?

He might have a completely different vision of places, people and props.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 11 2007, 11:47am

Post #16 of 22 (497 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit for younger audience [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually disagree with you guys; I think The Hobbit should be kept to the same "younger" tone as the book, should it be made into a movie. Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for younger children, and if a movie is made, I think it should respect the original intent of the book. I'm sure there is a reasonable balance that can be found, but to make The Hobbit too dark would be, in my opinion, a dishonour to Tolkien. In addition, if the movie retains the lighter tone of the book, it would be a great way to introduce younger fans to Middle Earth without overwhelming them. I think it would just be wrong to make a Hobbit movie as dark as LOTR. The content and tone of the book should be respected and preserved.

hasufel
Rivendell

Apr 11 2007, 3:50pm

Post #17 of 22 (491 views)
Shortcut
younger? [In reply to] Can't Post

I respect your opinion, but cannot agree with it.

As has already been discussed, Tolkien himself wanted to "darken" the Hobbit as time went on.

To keep it for younger audiences would be doing a diservice to Tolkien in my opinion.

His storytelling is beautiful, detailed and complex.

I believe that is why Jackson was able to change some things in the trilogy, yet keep the same feel for the story.

We do not know what changes might have been made, but that is why we must put our faith in Jackson.

I think that is also why many have said that Jackson must do the movie. He will give us his interpretation yet remain respectful and true to the story.

Remember this is not a direct word for word translation from book to screen.

The original will always be in print to read and enjoy over and over, just like the trilogy.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 11 2007, 5:11pm

Post #18 of 22 (503 views)
Shortcut
I think you make a valid point [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit would make a wonderful kids' movie. At one point, when I first heard they were thinking of making two movies, I hoped that they would make two movies of the same story, but one told as a children's tale and the other as a prequel-style, darker movie. I think it would be very interesting indeed to compare these two movies, if they were ever made!

In fact Tolkien himself starts to darken his tale, and hint at greater events, as the story of The Hobbit goes on, and he himself darkened the Riddles in the Dark chapter to make it into a "prequel" for LotR, so I think both approaches - the children's movie and the LotR prequel - are justified.

I think PJ's style would be perfect for the prequel-style movie, but I would also love to see The Hobbit made as a children's film, perhaps by another filmmaker, and presumably at another time. Both at the same time would be very, very interesting - especially if the same sets and props could be used - but I think the realities of moviemaking wouldn't allow it to happen.

glimmered and was lost.

rosiegirl2711

Apr 11 2007, 9:29pm

Post #19 of 22 (479 views)
Shortcut
agreed 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I too would like to see the Hobbit keep the darkness that is in the undercurrent of the book. If you have seen the Chronicles of Narnia that came out a few yrs ago, you might agree that while it was a good movie, it was more of a movie for children. I can see the Hobbit turning out like that. I would love to see it become something more than that. I truly believe that only PJ can do the book and Tolkein himself justice.

PJ or bust!!!!!

Smokering
The Shire

Apr 15 2007, 3:08am

Post #20 of 22 (487 views)
Shortcut
The 'light' Hobbit isn't exactly hugs and puppies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be interested to read the thread about Tolkien wanting to darken The Hobbit later in life--I've never heard that before--but let's not forget that The Hobbit in its current form is hardly Cecily's Gorgeous Adventures in Pixie-Land! Bilbo sees bones in the cave of the troll; the plight of desolate, dwindling Laketown is written quite definitely; the encounter with Gollum and subsequent chase is pure creepiness; the fight with the spiders ditto; Smaug's lair is fairly good and Gothic; and the Elven stronghold has a hint of darkness which could be played up or down, as the director chose. I think there's a lot of room to move within Tolkien's writing; a more childish, comic version could be made, or an eerier, darker version, without either straying far from actual, legitimate elements within the book.

Personally, when I read The Hobbit I find a lot of bleakness. The dwarves are cold companions, and the landscapes are fairly grim; there seems less humour to me than in LOTR, though perhaps more quirkiness (as a result of dealing with Hobbits and Dwarves rather than Elves and Men). If I were to helm a 'straight' interpretation of The Hobbit, I suspect it would end up being fairly dark without any conscious desire on my part to 'creepy it up' for older viewers. Any director with a smidgen of sensibility should recognise from the book the pathos and dreariness of the world of Men, which would be a very strong link to PJ's LOTR.

Hi. :)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2007, 3:55am

Post #21 of 22 (466 views)
Shortcut
Smokering! So good to see you back!! Stick around, okay?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2007, 2:00am

Post #22 of 22 (496 views)
Shortcut
PJ & Co could find the right balance, I think: [In reply to] Can't Post

In LOTR itself, they have been able not only to show the creepiness and the dark aspects as well and as often as needed, but also, during the whole beginning of FOTR after the Prologue (plus the EE scenes) to show just as well the world of the Hobbits in all the funny, delightful childiness it can have, just as well.
Also, Peter and Fran's own kids must be by now the right age to see the 'Hobbit' film yet to be made, so it is likely, I would think, that if their parents would be finally the ones making it (Yippeee!!!), they would keep it childish enough for an audience including very much that age-group.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.