Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Gimli's Fellowship Costume?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 2 2008, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 29 (11458 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Gimli's Fellowship Costume? Can't Post

This week marks the One Year Anniversary of Did You Ever Notice.

Gimli's costume, which is worn from the Council of Elrond until the Coronation, where he finally changes clothes, weighed more than 70 pounds. I'm afraid that the pictures I've posted don't do the details justice.

THIS PICTURE is a fabulous one for the details. Sadly, it's too large for the boards and with each resize I found myself disheartened by the lack of detail. I highly recommend taking a look.

You can see here the pants (and suspenders!) and the undershirt with mail sleeves built in. Obviously, a full mail shirt would be prohibitavely heavy and expensive, especially when it would never be seen.

Over his pants he would wear a wrap skirt of more chainmaille. Over this, he wears a simple tunic, my guess is that the fabric is wool but that could be entirely false. They added braided leather along the hem and over the shoulders. And over all of this we get various armor pieces and this great belt with shoulder straps.

I hope that you can see the mail in some of these pictures. It's not a traditional chainmaille pattern, but rather is based on Japanese maille. It consists of a silver disc, like a washer, held to four other discs (one on each side) by copper wire. Something like this:

His belt

The belt buckle. I hope that you can see some of the design along the edge of the belt, here.

And his pack. This might also be the best shot of his maille.

His shoulder armor:

His gloves and vambraces:

And don't forget the helmet and boots!

I'm going to send you off both to AlleyCatScratch and to Reera the Red's Screencap Library, with shots from the EE galleries for more details.

Any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at the costumes from LOTR. There isn't a particular order of costumes nor does it appear on any particular day. You can always find previous discussions on my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for December

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2008, 12:20am

Post #2 of 29 (7948 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's costume vies with Boromir's [In reply to] Can't Post

for my favourite outfit in LOTR. The design of Gimli's outfit is unequivocal in its heritage, and both his and Boromir's are rich in detail and in fabrics that tell their own stories about the wearer.

And I *love* that Gimli's helmet is undeniably Dwarven as well as useful as a protection, while not looking ridiculous (or hiding much of Gimli's face). The designers must have workshopped his whole look to death to make it work so well.

In one thing I think they've been particularly cunning: The amount of items that make up his outfit make Gimli look quite wide (compare the first two photos), which also help make him look *short* - handy for convincing us that John Rhys Davies is a Dwarf.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 2:01am

Post #3 of 29 (7819 views)
Shortcut
Happy one year anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've certainly contributed to me noticing a lot I never noticed over the last year. Many thanks!

In terms of Gimli, here, I really like the angular, blocky designs used to decorate his belt, helmet and the trimmings on his clothes.

The elves are all curves and natural lines -- but Gimli is all about angles and sharp edges and hard lines. His outfit fits with the architectural style of Moria in that way.
Since we see so little of dwarvish culture in the films, these glimpses of what the dwarves wear, and one place they lived, are especially important.

I know in the commentaries Phillipa says "if you want to know about dwarven culture, you cast John Rhys Davies in the role, and he'll show and tell it to you". Very true of course. But the clothes certainly help to make the man..er..dwarf in this case!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 3:27am

Post #4 of 29 (7824 views)
Shortcut
The proportions are great [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was putting this together, in fact, I had a hard time remembering that JRD is over 6 feet tall!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 3:35am

Post #5 of 29 (7794 views)
Shortcut
Thanks weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the dwarves had to be the hardest race to design. Just my opinion, but everyone knows what an elf should look like and what Medieval men look like. But how do you draw on an ancient Dwarvish tradition that just isn't there? The design team did a great job making them different from the other races but still plausibly from the same world.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

SaulComposer
Rohan

Dec 3 2008, 4:52am

Post #6 of 29 (7826 views)
Shortcut
Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Gimli's character gives the LOTR an ancient feel .

Love the pictures.

Thanks!

www.saulcomposer.com

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2008, 7:02am

Post #7 of 29 (7909 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations... [In reply to] Can't Post

on a year of great posts. I really have enjoyed these posts. When I watch the movies, I really don't see all the detail. They put so much into these cosumes.

I never really looked so closely at Gimli's costume. I think it takes a man as big as John Rys-Davies to wear all that and look right. It never seemed to overwhelm him. I could always tell the scale double.

Thanks again for such enjoyable posts.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2008, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 29 (7768 views)
Shortcut
Happy one year anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I love about these costumes is that they all obviously are based around different cultures; Gimli's costume looks so different from anyone else's outfit. It's really wonderful.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 3 2008, 5:49pm

Post #9 of 29 (7768 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to Did You Ever Notice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers for a great series! I really enjoyed these posts and I've learned a great deal! This one is very educational too, as this is the first time I see the details of Gimli's costume. I agree with the others that it is remarkable how much work and time is invested in every little piece. Fantastic! Gimli's costume is so... historical, heavy with meaning. Very nice, I love it.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on November 15 on the Main board

I believe

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 7:01pm

Post #10 of 29 (7764 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for taking a look [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 7:53pm

Post #11 of 29 (7764 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

I didn't see most of the detail the first few times, either. But then I got pretty obssesive about the details when I first learned how to sew, and here I am!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 7:55pm

Post #12 of 29 (7778 views)
Shortcut
With five different races, I'd have run out of ideas! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that no race's costumes look overly similar to any of the other costumes. But none of them look ridiculously different, either. It's a very fine line to tread in fantasy costuming and I think Ngila nailed it with Gimli!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2008, 8:05pm

Post #13 of 29 (7789 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's costume gets so little attention [In reply to] Can't Post

Hardly anyone recreates it. I'm glad to show off some of the details!

I had a geology professor who wanted to change the way we saw the landscape. He said that was his only goal for the class. I guess that I have a similar goal, here. If I have been able to change the way anyone sees these costumes, then I'm happy.

But then again, I suppose you guys already knew how great these costumes are. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 3 2008, 11:39pm

Post #14 of 29 (7749 views)
Shortcut
I'm not surprised. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hardly anyone recreates it.

His costume has 'heinous amount of work and a good posibility of a poor result' written all over it!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 4 2008, 1:21am

Post #15 of 29 (7751 views)
Shortcut
nobody dresses as a dwarf!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2008, 1:26am

Post #16 of 29 (7758 views)
Shortcut
Already!? Happy Anniversary!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think there are enough costumes to give us another year *winkie, wink* Good Job!! :D

I love Gimli's costume. So much of the detailing is straight from the runes and walls of Moria. The squared edges and sharp lines looks like the doorways and caverns of their kingdoms. I really developed an appreciation after seeing his costume at the LotR Exhibit. I think his beard is as much a part of his costume as any buckle or axe ;)

I still can express how much I enjoy these posts, Arwen's daughter. Thank you so much!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 4 2008, 2:27am

Post #17 of 29 (7734 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a list of 51 costumes still to do, assuming that I can find pictures for all of them. I think it's safe to say that these posts will stick around for at least another year. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2008, 2:54am

Post #18 of 29 (7739 views)
Shortcut
No, it was you who showed me how great the costumes are and I thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on November 15 on the Main board

I believe

Elven
Valinor

Dec 4 2008, 9:22am

Post #19 of 29 (7728 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations on your 1st year anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your threads!! (bad pun Wink) and am looking forward to the next year! - then we can do it all over again! Wink
Thankyou so much Arwen's Daughter! Heart

What I love about Gimli's costume is that is really does look like a miners outfit - his 'uniform' - it is practical - well it looks practical and worn, as if he has been working in it. It almost looks weary - and I think that that's becasue of the percieved weight of the costume - a strong solid outfit for strong solid work!
When Gimli runs across the plains with that costume on he make me feel tired. Now there's a load to bear!

The chain maille design is lovely! I wonder if we will see the Dwarves in The Hobbit in a similar linked outit. (I hope they keep the continuity going - maybe with Gloins chainmaille - that would be a really nice touch!)

When I look at all the stuff JRD had to wear including wigs and prosthetics, I think he did an amazing job with his character. It must have been difficult to endure (and as well as being allergic to his prosthetics!)

Thankyou AD!!
Your a gem!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 4 2008, 9:50am

Post #20 of 29 (7734 views)
Shortcut
*squeee* Awesome! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 4 2008, 2:25pm

Post #21 of 29 (7721 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I don't reply to your costume threads, but I do look at each one. I just don't know enough about sewing, etc., to make any intelligent remarks.

But I do enjoy reading about the different costumes and look forward to seeing many more!
Thanks!

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 5 2008, 3:21am

Post #22 of 29 (7691 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Elven! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your point on how old and worn his costume is.

I can't wait to see what GDT and the others do with the dwarves in The Hobbit. I hope they manage to keep up the style of LOTR.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 5 2008, 3:42am

Post #23 of 29 (7691 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate every view that these posts get, even from those who don't have a chance to comment on them. Thanks for letting me know you're out there Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 6 2008, 3:34am

Post #24 of 29 (7723 views)
Shortcut
And I can't wait to see more of these types of details [In reply to] Can't Post

in The Hobbit! Surely they have in mind to show us more of the Dwarves culture and craft. I already feel a bit sorry though, for those poor fellows if they'll all be having to lug around 70 pounds of costume every day too. Although poor JRD had to bear it all on his own ... at least in The Hobbit there will a whole bunch of them to console each other about their aching bods :-).

I'm amazed at the packs on his back - again, the amount of detail and care they put into things that were barely, if ever even, seen in the film is just mind-boggling. Amazing.

Great photos, Arwen's daughter! And congratulations on a year of an absolutely fabulous discussion series. Thank you for all the effort and love you put into it. Very much appreciated :-).

batik
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2008, 4:07am

Post #25 of 29 (7742 views)
Shortcut
The original "steel" toed-boots?!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Love'em! For some reason they remind me of children's boots-the "shortness" of the foot from heel to toe but with the bulk/substance needed for a dwarf. Also really like the work on the leather goods. And the tunic with its detail along the hem. And the helmet-know I like this one more than those worn by the soldiers of Gondor and probably more than those worn by the Rohirrim. All in all-those dwarves have some nice, if rugged, threads!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.