The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
1 Minute MISC: Faramir

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 24 2008, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 9 (3915 views)
Shortcut
1 Minute MISC: Faramir Can't Post

Hello all Smile! Just dropping off a quick MISC for the week. Here we have David Wenham as our favorite ranger / mystic / steward type of guy:

And here are a few words from ROTK, as Pippin sees Faramir for the first time:

" It was not long before a clamour was heard in the streets leading up from the outer circles, and there was much cheering and crying of the names of Faramir and Mithrandir. Presently Pippin saw torches, and followed by a press of people two horsemen riding slowly: one was in white but shining no longer, pale in the twilight as if his fire was spent or veiled; the other was dark and his head was bowed. They dismounted, and as grooms took Shadowfax and the other horse, they walked forward to the sentinel at the gate: Gandalf steadily, his grey cloak flung back, and a fire still smouldering in his eyes; the other, clad all in green, slowly, swaying a little as a weary or a wounded man.

Pippin pressed forward as they passed under the lamp beneath the gate-arch, and when he saw the pale face of Faramir he caught his breath. It was the face of one who has been assailed by a great fear or anguish, but has mastered it and now is quiet. Proud and grave he stood for a moment as he spoke to the guard, and Pippin gazing at him saw how closely he resembled his brother Boromir – whom Pippin had liked from the first, admiring the great man's lordly but kindly manner. Yet suddenly for Faramir his heart was strangely moved with a feeling that he had not known before. Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race. He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.

'Faramir!' he cried aloud with the others. 'Faramir!' "

Heart Loresilme

Time to put another new spin on MISC ... we've done a lot of landscape and setting shots, compared how events and scenes were depicted in the books to how they were portrayed in the films. For the next few weeks I'll be meandering on over to the "Characterization" section of the screencap museum ... looking at the characters and the actors/actresses who portrayed them.
I generally have a very positive fangirl feeling towards basically all of them, but in recognition of the very enthusiastic and diverse responses to a previously (admittedly biased!) MISC a few weeks back, I shall keep the Subject Line of these MISCs neutral :-). Comments and all viewpoints are welcome, or please enjoy just sitting back and savoring the scenery and the book text.
If anyone has any suggestions regarding MISC, please feel free to PM me!

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 24 2008, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 9 (3465 views)
Shortcut
ok, I'm officially in love.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely shot, and fits the quote perfectly.

You know, if you give up your day job, you could be a casting director -- you've got a knack for finding images of actors that really work well book descriptions!

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2008, 1:13am

Post #3 of 9 (3461 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh.... Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, he's one of the most intriguing characters of the story. A humble heart, but ferocious in battle. A leader forced to lead at war and not in peace. A student of his land driven to be a warrior. He's a reluctant captain that never fails his men or the kingdom he defends. He also has such an influence and amazing moment with Frodo and Sam that has always been one of my favourites:

'Frodo had felt himself trembling as the first shock of fear passed. Now a great weariness came down on him like a cloud. He could dissemble and resist no longer.
'I was going to find a way into Mordor,' he said faintly. 'I was going to Gorgoroth. I must find the Mountain of Fire and cast the thing into the gulf of Doom. Gandalf said so. I do not think I shall ever get there.'
Faramir stared at him for a moment in grave astonishment. Then suddenly he caught him as he swayed, and lifting him gently, carried him to the bed and laid him there, and covered him warmly. At once he fell into a deep sleep.
Another bed was set beside him for his servant. Sam hesitated for a moment, then bowing very low: 'Good night, Captain, my lord,' he said. 'You took the chance, sir.'
'Did I so?' said Faramir.
'Yes sir, and showed your quality: the very highest.'
Faramir smiled. 'A pert servant, master Samwise. But nay: the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards. Yet there was naught in this to praise. I had no lure or desire to do other than I have done.'
'Ah well, sir,' said Sam, 'you said my master had an elvish air; and that was good and true. But I can say this: you have an air too, sir, that reminds me of, of—well, Gandalf, of wizards.'
'Maybe,' said Faramir. 'Maybe you discern from far away the air of Númenor. Good night!'

Did I so? You bet you did!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2008, 3:22am

Post #4 of 9 (3438 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great shot! Absolutely amazing! I agree that you could work as casting director - you show us the hidden, the often overlooked, the unusual beauty of a person. Thank you, I love it!
As about Faramir, one of the most noble and liked by me characters in the books and movies. Despite all the changes PJ made, I still think Faramir (wonderfully played by David Wenham) showed his quality. Some of the heart-breaking scenes in the movies are those of Faramir - for me.
I also secong Gramma's words and I love the quote she chose - it brings to me a feeling of fresh crisp air, light and gentle on the cheeks. That's how I imagine Boromir - a spring morning: young, powerful and optimistic.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on November 15 on the Main board

I believe

Elven
Valinor

Nov 26 2008, 7:33am

Post #5 of 9 (3416 views)
Shortcut
Spellbound ... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something very mystic about him - lordly, brave, charismatic and sincere.
I can see why it would be easy to trust and follow this man - as Tolkien wrote him and as David played his role.

... and I agree with the others - you have the knack!! Wink

Cheers and thanks Loresilme!
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 26 2008, 3:53pm

Post #6 of 9 (3403 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

David Wenham had that right combination of qualities. Even when they made that film change which showed him being tempted by the Ring, he made it understandable and still conveyed an air of noble character. You just knew Faramir wasn't really going to fall for it :-). I loved the EE scenes with him and Boromir, they seemed so much like real brothers. And yes, Boromir was like the morning, and I would add, Faramir was like the night, they complemented each other. It was just so well done.

And thanks for the kind words, simplyaven! I'm so glad to know people enjoy these posts!

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 26 2008, 4:02pm

Post #7 of 9 (3409 views)
Shortcut
Ah.... the air of Numenor [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beautiful passage, gramma :-). And DW really captured it - he had that strength and leadership quality, yet he had something otherworldly about him that wasn't quite explained by his appearance. Must have been that ... air of Numenor.

*sigh*

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 26 2008, 4:21pm

Post #8 of 9 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Oh goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

An award winning Art Director has just complimented my casting abilities!! Eeek!! I'm honored Sly!!

Really, thanks very much!

Actually I love to see the before and after pictures of actors and actresses, as they are in real life and then as they look in character, especially in costume films. I think that is such a talent, a gift really, to be able to look at someone and imagine them in character, different make up, etc. But I wonder about that ... for instance, take Orlando Bloom. Did they know beforehand what Legolas was going to look like, and then cast him, or did they cast him first and then create the Legolas look based on Orlando's appearance?

Totally hijacking my own thread here, but ... for instance, in the original "The Mummy", I was so taken by the actor who played the Mummy. IMO, his physical appearance in the film was perfect. Awesome, dangerous, compelling, powerful... whoa, just loved it. And so I went online and found his photo, in real life. And there he was ... sorta' average, sorta' mild-mannered looking even ... wow. That was when I really starting getting into looking at the casting choices that they make for films and realizing what a talent it really is, to be able to see the potential in people in that way.

Thanks Elven (and P.S. I love your avatar, every time I see I just crack up laughing :-))

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Nov 26 2008, 4:27pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 26 2008, 4:44pm

Post #9 of 9 (3642 views)
Shortcut
Always keep an open mind on those second career ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Well gee thanks weaver ... sometimes ya' never know what your talents are until somebody else points it out!

It's really been fun doing these character MISCs, particularly because the screencap library has that separate 'character index', where you can scroll through all the shots available, one after another. But really, the hard part was already done here - because the real casting directors did all the work of finding the right actors and actresses in the first place!

And I agree, Faramir is just ... Evil Smile Heart.

Laugh Loresilme

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.