Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
First casualty of the move

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 23 2008, 11:39pm

Post #1 of 14 (613 views)
Shortcut
First casualty of the move Can't Post

I was moving some boxes to our storage place about 10 minutes away. Somewhere along the short route a box fell out of the back of the truck.

It contained: all our Heroscape sets including irreplaceable Flag Bearers; all our metal Games Workshop LOTR miniatures (had all the heroes and then some, most not painted yet); a set of Britannia Knights; a set of Grey Knights; all our paints; and two codex's (Britannia and ROTK)

I retraced our path within minutes, but it was already gone. Hope someone has a nice Christmas since I have little faith I will ever see them again.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Nov 24 2008, 1:41am

Post #2 of 14 (423 views)
Shortcut
That's awful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry. And for it to come at a time like this.Frown

Eruwestial

Nimloth
Lorien

Nov 24 2008, 3:10am

Post #3 of 14 (444 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a shame. Can you advertise in your local paper or supermarket messageboard? I left my digital camera on the bumper of my car last week and drove off without it. I got home realised what I had done and drove straight back but it was gone. I lodged a missing item report with the police and some young man found it on the side of the road and handed it in. I was so relieved! Laugh I really thought it had gone for good. So you never know Sir Dennis, you might still get it back.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2008, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 14 (435 views)
Shortcut
Dude that sucks =o( [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope they turn up! That's awful!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2008, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 14 (402 views)
Shortcut
that just [In reply to] Can't Post

makes me feel sick. Something that has that many deep, old connections. I'm a collector, so that kind of thing keeps me up at night, racking my brain, thinking....how? How can I replace that?

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 25 2008, 7:18pm

Post #6 of 14 (410 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

I have notices up and an ad in the paper. It was a significant loss. If I never see it again I'll just assume that it ended up in the hands of a family that was not going to be able to afford Christmas this year. Because it would be vexing if it ended up in the hands of someone that doesn't appreciate their value or can afford to buy those things themselves.

visualweasel
Rohan

Nov 25 2008, 7:43pm

Post #7 of 14 (421 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. Sorry to hear that! :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2008, 4:37am

Post #8 of 14 (575 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's terrible news! Here's hoping that they'll turn up.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 28 2008, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 14 (392 views)
Shortcut
Update [In reply to] Can't Post

no sign yet of the lost box but it turns out it was not the box I thought it was... in otherwords my minis are safe and sound. What was in the lost box? Maybe some Star Wars, Final Fantasy, and horror movie figures? I won't know until I open the rest of them up. Bittersweet.

Thanks again for the sympathetic posts.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 29 2008, 1:59am

Post #10 of 14 (440 views)
Shortcut
Update 2: Thank you Jesus! [In reply to] Can't Post

It turned out a kindred spirit found my box... a collector of dolls and such. They placed an ad in the local paper and a friend alerted me to it. My faith in humanity is running pretty high again.

The box contained some McFarlane figures: Twisted Xmas, some dragons (series 5), my "Best Director" Oscar (bit of kitch from the kids), Final Fantasy, 12 inch V, and movies with goodies in the box (Blue Harvest, 300, Transformers.)

There was a loose Scheil (sp) knight which I gave to the families son in appreciation.

I am so happy, just had to share before I pull the plug as it were.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 29 2008, 2:59am

Post #11 of 14 (450 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad your faith is restored. [In reply to] Can't Post

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2008, 1:35am

Post #12 of 14 (388 views)
Shortcut
W00t! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad that both your missing minis AND your other missing box turned up!

It's amazing how a simple act of honesty and kindness can restore our faith in our fellow human beings. Sounds like an excellent reason to be thankful!

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Dec 1 2008, 1:35am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2008, 7:03pm

Post #13 of 14 (748 views)
Shortcut
I'm on a layover [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow that sounds better than I'm temporarily delayed because of lack of gas money lol.

Yes it is a wonderful thing. Strangely despite all the uncertainty about the future and technically becoming homeless as of yesterday, the thing I was most upset about over the past couple of weeks was losing that box.

It's not that we are materialists or anything; between the stuff we gave to family and friends, the scrap metal monger, to charity, and the stuff we threw out, burned or left behind, I'm certain we reduced our possessions by 2/3rds. Despite losing our residence, being able to give things away was particularly gratifying and made me feel quite wealthy in fact.

I guess the thing about the box is I wasn't entirely sure what was in it. And, I have no qualms about giving things away but I prefer it to be of my choosing as to when and how.

I guess too that I was still smarting from the last time I moved. I literally got (whats that word for taken advantage of to the max?) by a book dealer and during a private sale. I sold easily 10k worth of serious photography books, history and fiction, and even a copy of a certain dictator's (who shall not be named in this forum) plans, all for 200buck.

As for the private sale most of my musical instruments, antique cameras, other antiques (the first portable radio, a stereo phonic portable record player, dark room equipment) and my collection of 1000 LP's sold for next to nothing.

There was one decent fellow who gave me $200 for about 30 records because he knew their value and knew he was still getting a deal.

This is probably why I prefer giving things away though because I hate feeling like I've been taken advantage of by people who know you know that they know they are stealing from you while smiling in your face.

One time a guy called wanting to buy a diesel Jetta (a big deal in Canada) I had taken off the road. He said he didn't have any money so I asked him if he had a good clothes dryer, and we swapped. It turns out he was a used car dealer that specialized in restoring imports for resale (so basically he misrepresented himself.) Anyway, I heard that the first time he drove it the back axle fell off, probably due to the way he towed it away.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments in this thread. Perhaps the good vibes this whole blip on the radar generated was the reason it happened. Mysterious ways indeed!

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Dec 20 2008, 12:58am

Post #14 of 14 (1785 views)
Shortcut
I love when stuff like that happens. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very very happy for you.

Captain Jack: Who has a sonic screwdriver?
The Doctor: I do!
Captain Jack: Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, "Woo, this could be a little more sonic."?
The Doctor: What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.