Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's the greatest length you've gone to to get a particular book?

Aerlinn
Lorien

Apr 4 2007, 10:02pm

Post #1 of 21 (237 views)
Shortcut
What's the greatest length you've gone to to get a particular book? Can't Post

I think many of us, if not all of us, are pretty hardcore bibliophiles, if only for Tolkien's work, and reading a bit about Guy Gavriel Kay's newest book coming out and the efforts people have made to get their hands on some of his past work - which made me think of how I got my hands on his Song for Arbonne. So - any interesting tales attached to any of your books, new or rare or from other countries? Or - what book is out there that you just can't get your hands on?

Oh, my story, such as it is: when Arbonne was coming out, it was going to be released in Canada quite a while before the US, and I couldn't wait. My mother's family is nearly all there, and I begged a wonderful uncle to get me a copy as soon as it came out. I've always been glad I did; I love the Canadian jacket art, and was unpleasantly surprised by the American when I eventually saw it (Kinuko Craft and all). I think mine's a first edition, too. Not much of a great length, that...

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 4 2007, 10:14pm

Post #2 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
Not great lengths, but longest wait: [In reply to] Can't Post

My two absolute book treasures are
1. A copy of The Ring of the Nibelung by Wagner, illustrated by Arthur Rackham. I'd checked it out of the library as a child and loved it, but it had been out of print for ages. It eventually disappeared from the library. This is the book CS Lewis describes desiring ardently as a child.

2. The Documentary Life of Nathan Hale. This was privately published by the author and consisted of all the letters, diaries, etc. he could find. I'd also checked it out of the library, and it was long out of print. I photocopied all 700 pages.

I waited for twenty years for each of these books, checking in used bookstores with no luck. Finally along came the Internet and Bibliofind, and I found each of them with one click. I also found the other books in my Nathan Hale collection, the oldest of which is a first edition from 1850.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 4 2007, 10:15pm)

Wynnie
Rohan

Apr 5 2007, 12:12am

Post #3 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Ask again in two weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'll say Children of Hurin. I'm still trying to work out the details, but I think I'm going up to NYC in the hopes of getting hold of one of those signed copies. Fingers crossed!

Flight to the Ford
from LordofthePeeps.com

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 5 2007, 1:57am

Post #4 of 21 (126 views)
Shortcut
Ha, me too:)! [In reply to] Can't Post

Might be a story to tell to boot.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 5 2007, 4:27am

Post #5 of 21 (129 views)
Shortcut
oh, probably [In reply to] Can't Post

scouring used books stores for years to find every single one of Mary Stewart's romantic thrillers, in the days before you could find such things easily on the Internet.

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 5 2007, 6:15am

Post #6 of 21 (121 views)
Shortcut
Not a great length, maybe, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have shelled out some dough to used book stores for some out-of-print items that I wanted.

Including a copy of "Make Way for Lucia," the collection of all of E.F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia stories.

Childrenís Interpretations of the Bible

• Lotís wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

Alcarcalime
    Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2007, 12:39pm

Post #7 of 21 (124 views)
    Shortcut
    I hunted for years for one particular book... [In reply to] Can't Post

This was before the Internet. When I was 13, I read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I looked in every used book store I came across for the book. I finally found it in the early 80s in an antique store. That was a 30-year wait.

Wynnie
    Rohan

Apr 5 2007, 12:41pm

Post #8 of 21 (111 views)
    Shortcut
    Let's hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that story has a happy ending.
    :-)

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Flight to the Ford
    from LordofthePeeps.com

(This post was edited by Wynnie on Apr 5 2007, 12:42pm)

Elberbeth
    Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2007, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 21 (110 views)
    Shortcut
    I'm still trying to locate some of those for a re-read [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my favourite one is "Madam Will You Talk?"

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

sevilodorf
    Grey Havens

Apr 5 2007, 4:11pm

Post #10 of 21 (109 views)
    Shortcut
    Have a 1955 Book club edition [In reply to] Can't Post

of Madam Will You Talk that I found in a library discard sale for 5 cents. (a long time ago obviously as library discards now go for a lot more)

My biggest disappointment is that The Moon Spinners is one of my favorites and the movie version was so horrible.

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com

Annael
    Half-elven

Apr 5 2007, 5:48pm

Post #11 of 21 (103 views)
    Shortcut
    that was terrible [In reply to] Can't Post

Disney, alas.

I would love for someone to make a movie out of "The Ivy Tree."

Only a real man would dare do his morning power walk in a puffy shirt.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Nariel
    The Shire

Apr 5 2007, 9:54pm

Post #12 of 21 (102 views)
    Shortcut
    I've searched in vain [In reply to] Can't Post

For a very long time now I have searched hopelessly for the Tolkien Thesaurus. It was a small printing out of Marquette University, I believe...Only saw the one copy once there while at the (infamous) conference. Too much security to lift it Wink I try every once in a while on the book searches (have a long standing one on ebay) but have about given up the quest. Would consider paying the price of someone copying their copy, if it were not illegal and if I knew someone who had it. (no, wait, just kidding...)
    Nariel

SandWitch King
    Rohan

Apr 5 2007, 11:30pm

Post #13 of 21 (95 views)
    Shortcut
    Several miles at least [In reply to] Can't Post

And soon I plan to be in New York for "The Children of Hurin" so after that I would say "2,000 miles".

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

N.E. Brigand
    Half-elven

Apr 5 2007, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 21 (98 views)
    Shortcut
    My local library has "The Tolkien Thesaurus". [In reply to] Can't Post

As well as Blackwelder's companion pamphlet, "Tolkien Phraseology". The Thesaurus doesn't circulate. It's an impressive work, but nonetheless selective.

Nice to see you on the new boards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 2-8: Ted Nasmith.

Nariel
    The Shire

Apr 6 2007, 1:47am

Post #15 of 21 (93 views)
    Shortcut
    Some people [In reply to] Can't Post

just like to dangle shiny rings in front of elves and other easily tempted folk...(ok, bad analogy)
    Aren't you a librarian or something similar NE? So...would that make you responsible for the acquisitions for said libraryWink

I live in a lovely area, that is apparantly just south of the armpit of the universe...I tried the UW library(closest college/university) - no good. I'm not a student and the one student who did get things for me had the nerve to graduate and move away. My local library just sort of looked at me funny. (yes, ma'm, I recognize Tolkien and I recognize Thesaurus, but my computer...). I'm not terribly adept (HUGE underestatement) with computer thingies and so if you could possibly suggest something that a neo-Luddite might be able to handle I'd be grateful, however, other than move to another state or trawl ebay or hmm kidnap Tom Shippey and hold him for ransom (give me the book and no one gets hurt)...

Ah well - as they say "where there's a whip, there's a way"

BTW yes, it is selective, but nonetheless fascinating (or did I just show the colors of a Tolkien fanatic)

Nariel

Ainu Laire
    Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 4:18am

Post #16 of 21 (85 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh, I've always wanted that book [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring of the Nibelung. I read an excerpt of it, way back when, and didn't pay it any heed. Then I heard a German song based upon the story (Der Ring der Nibelungen), and now I want it *g* Do you know if there's any English text of the story online? That's probably the closest I'll get to reading it in book-form.

My LJ
    My art site
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

N.E. Brigand
    Half-elven

Apr 6 2007, 4:18am

Post #17 of 21 (102 views)
    Shortcut
    Drogo's the librarian. [In reply to] Can't Post

I work in a theater.

And A Tolkien Thesaurus is a neat book to browse. I wish I owned a copy. Did you buy the proceedings of the Marquette conference? Or maybe you remember Tom Shippey's paper:

Turning again to Richard Blackwelder's Thesaurus, I have found it repeatedly useful in locating and tracing both words and concepts. One thing it helps you to do is check your own suspicions. It struck me as both odd and significant that Tolkien rarely but occasionally uses the word "heathen" in The Lord of the Rings, an anachronism in Middle-earth because, you would think, only Christians use it. Looking at Blackwelder enabled me to check that he does indeed use it twice in that work, both times in connection with Denethor, which suggests that it is not an accidental anachronism, but a deliberate pointer...

Shippey goes on to show the Thesaurus's value in other LotR word studies, and I agree with him. But it must be used with care: it lists most but not all word occurences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 2-8: Ted Nasmith.

grammaboodawg
    Immortal

Apr 6 2007, 2:15pm

Post #18 of 21 (81 views)
    Shortcut
    I'm still working at it ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have this monstrous huge feeling I'm going to be at an estate sale, or yard sale, or used book store and find a first edition of The Hobbit. I just can't shake the feeling... so I'll keep searching.

sample sample
    Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Aunt Dora Baggins
    Immortal

Apr 6 2007, 4:45pm

Post #19 of 21 (76 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh, wow! I just did a google search and [In reply to] Can't Post

not only is the text online, but it includes some of the Arthur Rackham illustrations!

Ring of the Niblung

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
    Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
    and some other stuff I wrote...
    leleni at hotmail dot com

Ioreth
    The Shire

Apr 6 2007, 5:40pm

Post #20 of 21 (73 views)
    Shortcut
    well ... [In reply to] Can't Post

not -directly- "great lengths to get a book" but related ...

one of the first times I was Interrailing in Europe back in 1992 I think about the first thing I did when coming to Britain was visiting the family I stayed with during my summer school in english some years earlier.

I had planned to tour especially Scotland for about two weeks, but the VERY first thing I did when reaching Southampton was to go to my favorite bookstore and bye the ONE-volume-HARDBACK-version of LOTR! And the HARDBACK version of the Middle Earth Atlas ...
    and those two books remained in my backpack the rest of the journey :)
    despite them being both rather heavy and large :)

but :)

and had very good use for especially the LOTR book ...

in the middle of nowhere in Scotland (can't remember the place right now) the youth hostel closed at about 10 and the first train to leave on a sunday left at about 16 ... so there I sat reading LOTR while the rain washed the little train stop hut :) where I also had some clothes hanging to dry ....

Nariel
    The Shire

Apr 7 2007, 8:52pm

Post #21 of 21 (78 views)
    Shortcut
    Oops - [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry - one of my "senior moments"
    Yep, bought the proceedings so that I could decipher my notesTongue
    and yes, when Tom Shippey presented, I became twice as determined as before to Get the Book.
    After I got home from the conference I took second place at the local Ringcon trivia contest based on what I had gathered in the relatively brief bit of reading I did of the book at Marquette.
    While reading there, I did notice that some words seemed to be missing or short - of course I really would like to Have the book to confirm my (weakening) memory.
    Nariel

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.