The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Illustrated: Ted Nasmith #6 – The Fellowship of the Ring III
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 12:05pm

Post #26 of 37 (742 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly what I wanted to say too! You said it very well. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 12:14pm

Post #27 of 37 (773 views)
Shortcut
Any elanors and niphredils in the grass anywhere in anyone's paintings??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there were any in the films, and I missed them sorely.
Any of those great illustrators tried his hand at those lovely flowers?...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2007, 12:42pm

Post #28 of 37 (750 views)
Shortcut
Here? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go to this URL possibly these are those flowers:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images/hildebrandt/galadriel.jpg

They seem a little too much like daisies or zinnias to me, though. I didn't imagine them as flat, simple flowers.

This is, BTW, my favorite Galadriel. None of the others by any of the artists we've discussed have what I consider beautiful faces, except for...oh, what was her name, Moira something?. In fact, it is the rare female in Tolkien art who is beautiful. The Hildebrandts' Arwen at her marriage comes to mind, but that's it.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but it's springtime and I'm shedding.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 6 2007, 4:05pm

Post #29 of 37 (746 views)
Shortcut
I copied the Rivendell painting as wallpaper and [In reply to] Can't Post

the secretary came walking past my office and did a double take, and came in saying "Wow! What a beautiful picture!" She said it reminded her of the country around here, maybe what it would have looked like in the days of Lewis and Clark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 6 2007, 7:28pm

Post #30 of 37 (744 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea better than what they did do [In reply to] Can't Post

which was to have the actors playing the elves talk slooooowly. It made Celeborn sound like a nitwit, and all of them sound a little intoxicated.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

WonderBroad
Lorien

Apr 8 2007, 12:28pm

Post #31 of 37 (761 views)
Shortcut
You are correct, Curious [In reply to] Can't Post

>>I believe he wanted to hire Nasmith as well, but he wasn't available for personal reasons.

You are right about this, Curious, and I got it from the horse's mouth (I've known Ted for over twenty years). He did not want to be away from his children for three years, and I cannot blame him.

>>I do wish that Nasmith had been available, because I think his temperment is better for Rivendell and Lothlorien than Lee's or Howe's

Oh, I so agree! And for Minas Tirith, as well. I hated the Minas Tirith in the movies. It was so ugly. Ted's conception of the City, on the other hand, is one of strength and beauty. He's also painted the best Tower of Ecthelion that I've ever seen. "Tall and shapely" Tolkien describes it, and that's just the way Ted portrayed it.

I read on another Tolkien message board (possibly on this one, but I can't remember) someone saying that the movie Minas Tirith looked like a garbage dump. It was a dead-on description, and I couldn't agree more.

--WB

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 8 2007, 8:37pm

Post #32 of 37 (773 views)
Shortcut
"movie Minas Tirith looked like a garbage dump" [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer Nasmith's image to the film's, but I don't fault the latter so much, and I realize that for many viewers, the film's Minas Tirith was "one of the best translations from book to film" to quote a comment in this thread, where Nasmith and New Line appear side by side, along with seven other versions.

Interestingly, no one seems to paint Minas Tirith's outer wall as black -- isn't it made of the same stone as Orthanc?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 2-8: Ted Nasmith.

WonderBroad
Lorien

Apr 9 2007, 11:25am

Post #33 of 37 (735 views)
Shortcut
The outermost wall [In reply to] Can't Post

>>Interestingly, no one seems to paint Minas Tirith's outer wall as black -- isn't it made of the same stone as Orthanc?

Yes, it is. In a later rendition of Minas Tirith, Ted Nasmith did actually paint the outermost wall as black. But you almost never see it in pictures, because most artists either miss the reference, or, for artistic purposes, think it looks better without it.

I like it either way. Here's the painting I mentioned:

Ted Nasmith's "In Haste to the White City".

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 9 2007, 9:43pm

Post #34 of 37 (731 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention it, [In reply to] Can't Post

the movie version of Minas Tirith was more grey than white, wasn't it? I liked the physical layout of Minas Tirith in the movies, and did not think much about the lack of sparkle. But I googled Nasmith's version, and it certainly sparkles.

Of course Minas Tirith, unlike Lothlorien or Rivendell, was a human city, and was in a state of disrepair. It would be interesting to see an illustration that included both the sparkle and the decay. It seems as if the City sparkled in the distance, but the decay became evident when walking the streets.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 10 2007, 8:12am

Post #35 of 37 (754 views)
Shortcut
Sparkle and decay [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would be interesting to see an illustration that included both the sparkle and the decay.

If you look at the depiction of Minas Tirith in the Fellowship of the Ring movie, when Gandalf first visits, and compare it too the way it looks in Return of the King, you get some of this effect.

The city glows white, warm and beautiful in the dawn light in Fellowship (both from a distance, and when Gandalf briefly walks through the streets). It's cold and grey in RotK, magnificent but soulless. That's not accidental, I feel sure. The city is visually reflecting the state of its inhabitants.

(I think it's very tempting to want imagery of Middle-Earth that shows it at its best - the tourist version, if you will - and I must admit that for years I mostly re-read LotR to get the grand tour of the wonders of Middle-Earth rather than to engage deeply with the story. But if you want imagery that works towards helping to tell the story, rather than just providing glamour shots of the major "tourist sites", I think you do have to be willing to tone down the sparkle.)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 10 2007, 8:59am

Post #36 of 37 (737 views)
Shortcut
Links to back up my point [In reply to] Can't Post

about Minas Tirith in FotR and Minas Tirith in RotK. (The effect is stronger if you look at the moving images, in full resolution.)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2007, 10:13am

Post #37 of 37 (756 views)
Shortcut
additionally... [In reply to] Can't Post

the greyness would be reflecting the encroaching darkness from Mordor in RotK.

Art Gallery Revised, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.