Middle-earth Recipes: Farmer Maggot's
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

ringbearer9
Lorien

Nov 15 2008, 7:15pm

Post #1 of 79 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Recipes: Farmer Maggot's Can't Post

Hello, Hope you all are having a great Saturday!
This is the recipe thread for Novemer and the location is Farmer Maggot's. Our hobbits stopped here for supper after Frodo nearly had a heart attack when Maggot's dogs ran out. I don't blame him! Anyway, here is a quote from FOTR, "There was beer in plenty, and a mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon, besides much other solid farmhouse fare." I put much other in italics because on this thread we like to be flexible. By no means do your recipes have to consist of mushrooms and bacon(but of course they can)! Think what filling "farmhouse fare" the hobbits would have enjoyed here. So, post away! I am looking forward to seeing your recipes!

After carefully considering it, myself and the rest of the recipe crew (I hope they don't mind me dubbing them a part of the official operationSmile) all agree the next location is Crickhollow. The only specific food mentioned here is mushrooms, but the book says, "There were also many other things to follow..." Use your imagination! Jazmine used the term Hobbit Buffet and said what would the hobbits have thrown together for a hasty last meal? SirDennisC was thinking maybe some of you had some interesting ideas about what to do with left overs. Can't wait to see what all of you come up with!

Thanks to simplyaven, Jazmine, somuchmore, and SirDennisC for all your help!

I will go ahead and post my recipe for Farmer Maggot's here. I can see Sam loving this.... Smile

Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
8 portions
1 portion=approx. 9 grams of usable protein. 20% to 24% of average daily protein need.
A luscious way to seve potatoes...

1 clove garlic, bruised
oil
6 large or 8 medium-sized potatoes (6 potatoes=2 cups of grated cheese)
2 cups grated cheese (your choice- swiss or chedder is good)
3 tbsp butter
salt
freshely ground pepper
11/4 cups hot milk (slightly less than one cup)

1) Rub a large shallow baking dish with the bruised garlic, then oil it lightly.
2) Without peeling the potatoes, slice them on the slicing side of a four-sided grater, or slipe very think with sharp knife.
3) Place1/2 of the slices on the bottom of the baking dish; sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheese, dot with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Add some salt and paprika. Repeat the layers using the remaining potatoes, cheese, and butter, plus more salt and paprkika.
4) Pour the 1 1/4 cups of hot milk into the dish. Bake in the upper theird of the oven at 425 degrees F for about 25 mins, until the potatoes are tender, and the top is lightly browned and crusty.

You can find all submitted middle-earth recipes here:http://hebo-estel.weebly.com/middle-earth-recipes.html

Woodyend
Gondor

Nov 15 2008, 7:29pm

Post #2 of 79 (2539 views)
Shortcut
Those potatoes sound great. Autumn Apple Tea and Chicken Spaghetti. [In reply to] Can't Post

Autumn Apple Tea

3 cups apple juice
6 tea Cup Size Tea Bags
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup brandy (optional)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
In 2-quart saucepan, heat juice just to a boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Cover and brew 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and squeeze. Stir in remaining ingredients. Garnish, if desired, with clove-studded apple slices.
Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 10 Minute(s)

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI WITH VELVEETA

4 boneless chicken breast
8oz Velveeta
1 can Rotel
1 can Cream of Mushroom
1 package spaghetti
milk
salt
pepper
garlic
or

2 boneless chicken breast
1 lg. green pepper, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 c. butter
1/2 c. lite sour cream
1 (8 oz.) box thin spaghetti
1/2 tsp. salt
1 sm. (8 oz.) can English peas
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, chopped
1 (2 oz.) jar chopped pimientos
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, chopped
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Ritz crackers
or

1 lg. fryer
1 stalk celery
2 bell peppers
2 cans chicken soup
Lg. jar chopped pimento
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 lg. pkg. spaghetti
4 med. onions
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 (8 oz.) tomato sauce

Instructions for Velveeta Chicken Spaghetti

In a large skillet or cooking pot, saute bell pepper and onion in oleo or olive oil if you prefer.

Add 1 can of chicken broth and chicken. Simmer until tender. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces as it's cooking.

Add all soups and Ro-tel tomatoes. Stir well. Simmer for about 15
minutes until chicken is done.

Cook the spaghetti in boiling water until just slightly cooked "al dente" - you don't want to over-cook it because it will be cooking more in the oven. Drain, rinse, and set aside until you are ready to mix with chicken/sauce ingredients in baking dish for the oven.

In a large baking dish or oven-proof pot, place the cooked and cut up
chicken, cooked spaghetti, salt and pepper, cheese, and soup mixture.

Depending on how creamy you like this dish, you may want to add extra chicken broth before you bake.

Stir very well to mix all ingredients evenly. I usually stir once after
about 15 minutes in the oven - after the cheese has had time to melt.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

You can add canned or fresh mushrooms if you like.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 15 2008, 9:19pm

Post #3 of 79 (2570 views)
Shortcut
Potato Cakes [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a simple recipe my family has made for years, sort of a southern specialty. My Great-grandmother would make these as a means to use every crumb of leftovers. Her husband was a farmer, so I thought it would be appropriate that Farmer Maggot might serve them. I was unaware until recently that these are also known as latkes, with a few extra ingredients. She would also make black-eyed pea fritters, but I'm not as familiar with that recipe.

Simple, old-fashined potato pancakes, as I know them:

Take leftover mashed potatoes, crumble saltine crackers into them and mix by hand with masher or large spoon, adding more crackers until you get a kind of dry, lumpy mix that can be made into patties. Make palm-sized patties, fairly thin, and fry in olive oil until lightly browned. Add salt and/or seasonings as preferred. Good with ketchup.

Here is the recipe as given on cooks.com, via wikipedia:
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs (dry)
  • 2 1/2 cups potatoes (grated, and squeezed dry)
  • 1 small onion (grated)
  • 1 egg (beaten); if egg is omitted, wheat flour and water may be added to the mixture to provide cohesion, since potatoes lack gluten
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. sage
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • dash of pepper

Instructions: Mix all ingredients until well blended. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto hot, greased skillet. Spread the batter and brown pancakes on both sides. Serve hot.

Personally, that's a bit complex for my taste, not to mention that I think potatoes and onions are a terrible combo. I prefer the simple recipe I grew up loving, without all the fluff. Smile
If you follow my recipe they will look a little different than these, but here is an idea of the final result. Enjoy!

Dulcius ex asperis.
Sweeter after difficulties.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Nov 15 2008, 9:20pm)
Attachments: potato_pancakes1.jpg (20.7 KB)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 15 2008, 9:42pm

Post #4 of 79 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're having these for dinner... just decided!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2008, 9:43pm

Post #5 of 79 (2526 views)
Shortcut
I'm making the potatoes and the Chicken spaghetti! Here are some more: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, for your recipes, ringbearer9 (these potatoes sound just like my type of dish!) and Woodyend (we are great admirers of pasta, your spaghetti will be on our menu for sure!).
Also, I wish to thank ringbearer9 for uploading and saving all our recipes on her website! I go and check regularly, it's so helpful!

Here are just a few recipes I think are suitable for the big cozy kitchen of a farm wife Smile

Mushrooms and Rice Autumn Soup

1 lb mushrooms (white or brown)
1 tea cup white rice
1-2 cloves garlic
1 carrot
2-3 table spoons tomato paste
parsley, black pepper, salt

Slice the mushrooms, the carrots and the garlic - the pieces should be small and thin. Heat a little oil (to cover the bottom of a casserole) and cook the vegetables under lid until they soften. Add hot water and boil about 20 minutes - the quantity of water depends on if you like your soup thick or not. I'd say a farmhouse soup is thick, so I'd add 3-4 cups of hot water. Add the rice and boil until it's almost ready. Add the tomato paste (first dissolve it in a little bouillon) and boil until the rice is completely ready. Add the seasonings - salt, black pepper and parsley - cover with the lid and boil for not more than 5 minutes.

The Simple Farmhouse Pie

1 egg, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of milk, 2 cups of flour, 2 tea spoons baking powder, 1/2 tea spoon baking soda, 1/3 cup of oil (whatever you prefer just not olive because it smells too strong), 1 vanilla (the vanilla sugar will do fine but you can also use liquid - 1-2 tea spoons), fruits - preferably sour - sour cherries, the purple plums, mixture of berries, bread crumbs.

The fruits should be cut in halves (sour cherries, plums) and drained very well to avoid too much liquid in the pie. Leave them for one hour to drain, especially the frozen berries mix they sell in the stores. If you work with such frozen mix, better leave it to drain longer - two hours.

Mix all the other products and stir very well. The mixture should be thick but still liquid - able to pour. If it's too liquid, add some more flour. If it's too thick, you can add a little bit more milk. Pour the mixture in a tray which you slightly greased before that. You can also use baking paper. Carefully roll the fruits in bread crumbs, it will absorb the liquid left and put them on the top of the mixture. Let the pie for about 20 min to stay with the fruits. Some of them will sink, that's fine. Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 40-50 minutes. You can use a wooden skewer to check if it's ready - if the dough remains on the skewer the pie is not ready yet.

I'll write later again Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on November 15 on the Main board

I believe

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 15 2008, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 79 (2503 views)
Shortcut
Great! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dulcius ex asperis.
Sweeter after difficulties.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 15 2008, 10:33pm

Post #7 of 79 (2513 views)
Shortcut
I'm amazed how [In reply to] Can't Post

much starch you end up with after squeezing the taters. I doubled your recipe (5 cups grated taters) and the juice is not yet done settling but we are up to almost a cup of starch! Cool.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 15 2008, 11:03pm

Post #8 of 79 (2541 views)
Shortcut
A nice omelet [In reply to] Can't Post

This one is nothing special, just a basic mushroom omelet. However sometimes the best dish is the easiest to make. Serves 4 humans or 1 Hobbit.

Filling
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
1 small pepper (your choice of hotness)
1 small onion chopped
1 large tomato chopped
Olive oil
Chili pepper
Basil
Salt
Pepper

Shredded cheddar

Saute ingredients in oil, beginning with onions, then pepper, then mushrooms, finally tomato and spices. Onions should be clear, peppers very nearly firm, mushrooms still white but sweating and springy, and tomato intact but hot. Remove from pan.

Eggs
6 eggs beaten then blended with 1/2 cup milk. Pour into hot pan (med heat) and encourage to cook evenly. Do not stir in pan! When the top is mostly cooked add filling and top with shredded cheddar. Fold sides up over mixture into a burrito shape. Cover pan with lid and cook another 3-5 minutes.

Serve with Salsa or Vietnamese chili sauce (I call it rooster sauce because there's a rooster on the bottle.) toast and bacon.

For an extra special treat, serve with Tzatziki!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 16 2008, 1:17am

Post #9 of 79 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Yummy, full belly [In reply to] Can't Post

This turned out to be the perfect cold rainy day dinner.

I varried the recipe slightly: I doubled the ingredients except the bread crumbs, plus one additional egg (so 3), added 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup milk and chili pepper flakes.

We ate them with pickled beets, dill pickles, sour cream or catsup, jerk sauce, picked hot peppers, and stuffed grape leaves.

My mouth is still on fire from the jerk sauce. But man was it a great tasting meal!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2008, 4:12am

Post #10 of 79 (2489 views)
Shortcut
The potatoes are all gone :))) The recipe is great and so easy to make! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on November 15 on the Main board

I believe

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2008, 2:49pm

Post #11 of 79 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Crock Pot Split Pea Soup [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a hearty soup recipe that's one of my favorites. OK, so Mrs. Maggot didn't have a crock pot ... but I bet she would have used one if she did.

Crock Pot Split Pea Soup

1 one-pound bag of split peas
2-3 potatoes
3-4 carrots
1 rib celery or pinch celery seed
1 small onion
1/2 lb. ham (optional)
1/2 tsp. bay leaves (1 or 2 large leaves)
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp thyme

1. Rinse and drain split peas in colander.

2. Peel and dice potatoes.

3. Peel and slice carrots

4. Slice celery. (I use a pinch of celery seed if I don't have celery on hand.)

5. Chop onion.

6. Dice ham. (Leave it out for vegetarian split pea soup.)

7. Add herbs, peas and rest of ingredients to crock pot.

8. Fill with water to about 1" below brim. (Note: I have a traditional 4-qt. upright crock pot, so I'm probably adding about 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of water.)

9. Cook on high all day.

Serve with crackers, crusty bread, etc. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Feel free to adjust the quantities of herbs, carrots, potatoes, ham, etc. to your liking. I don't add salt while cooking because ham tends to be pretty salty.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2008, 5:45pm

Post #12 of 79 (2499 views)
Shortcut
There's one I'll be trying! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

Here's a quick one to add in... Cheesy Roasted Mushrooms

This is really simple, you just take some large, flat mushrooms, hollow out the stalk, and fill with your favourite cheese, grated. I like to use a mature farmhouse cheddar. Sometimes I throw some fresh herbs over, any herb will do, depending on what you fancy. Roast them on a low heat until the cheese has melted and gone golden brown. Yummy as a starter, or I sometimes serve with potatoes and a variety of roast veg for a main course. Nice and easy!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Child of Manwe
Rivendell

Nov 16 2008, 5:50pm

Post #13 of 79 (2489 views)
Shortcut
I bet some crisp, crumbled bacon would be good in that too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fear, Fire, Foes...Awake! Awake!
Fire, Foes! Awake! Awake!"

ringwraiths27

"Do you think we look mean enough, Sauron?"

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2008, 5:51pm

Post #14 of 79 (2486 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll throw some of that in with the cheese next time! I do love these recipe threads!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2008, 5:55pm

Post #15 of 79 (2481 views)
Shortcut
I'll make it [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds yummy! I'll make it today. Thanks for the hearty recipe Smile

I believe

ringbearer9
Lorien

Nov 16 2008, 6:06pm

Post #16 of 79 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Sounds lovely, thanks for sharing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

You can find all submitted middle-earth recipes here:http://hebo-estel.weebly.com/middle-earth-recipes.html

ringbearer9
Lorien

Nov 16 2008, 6:10pm

Post #17 of 79 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Those sound great! [In reply to] Can't Post

We will have to try them out soon, thanks! And you are most welcome, I'm glad the webiste is helpful! Smile

ringbearer9
Lorien

Nov 16 2008, 6:13pm

Post #18 of 79 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Yum, sounds good, making me hungry! :)// [In reply to] Can't Post

ringbearer9
Lorien

Nov 16 2008, 6:14pm

Post #19 of 79 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Glad you liked them! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 16 2008, 7:30pm

Post #20 of 79 (2473 views)
Shortcut
Chcken Livers with Mushrooms [In reply to] Can't Post

Adding this recipe into the list, while I get all the others copied down. I think we need to get together for a massive pot-luck dinner! Smile

I realize many folks don't like liver, but chicken livers are very tender. This is an old favorite of mine:

In a skillet at medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter.
Brown 1/2 lb. chicken livers; push these to one side.
Brown 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms.
Mix the two together, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce.
Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, until chicken livers are fully cooked.

You could also fry up some bacon in the skillet, and crumble it into the mix.

Perfect for any time of day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

somuchmore
Rivendell

Nov 16 2008, 9:06pm

Post #21 of 79 (2490 views)
Shortcut
inspired recipe [In reply to] Can't Post

when life serves you a dream with eggs, go make an omelet? WinkTongue
sorry, couldn't help myself...
But it is an inspired recipe, sounds really tasty.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 16 2008, 9:16pm

Post #22 of 79 (2473 views)
Shortcut
Wow... great recipes! Now I'm hungry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one that my Mom made, then I made, now my daughters make. Basic, but yummy...

Breaded Baked Pork Steak by gramma
2-4 Lean Pork Steaks
crushed corn flakes, crackers, or bread crumbs (your preference)
1-2 eggs
1 cup flour
salt/pepper to taste
spices/garlic salt optional
Prepare a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick coating.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat up fry pan, season with your choice of olive oil, shortening, margarine, whatever…

Line up 3 plates. 1st plate with flour; 2nd w/eggs (beaten); 3rd w/crumbs
Plop the steaks onto the flour, coating both sides; then plop that into the egg wash and coat both sides; finally plop that into the crumbs and coat both sides.
Pan fry until browned on both sides, then place lovingly onto the cookie sheet. I like mine w/bbq sauce, which I add now.
Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes (or until the smoke alarm goes off); depending on thickness of steaks. EAT!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2008, 10:10pm

Post #23 of 79 (2473 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be cool if we could collate all these recipes into an online recipe book!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2008, 10:58pm

Post #24 of 79 (2468 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Something related to LOTR for a title... Or like "TORN in the kitchen" Laugh

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2008, 11:00pm

Post #25 of 79 (2468 views)
Shortcut
I made it for supper [In reply to] Can't Post

I kept it vegetarian but otherwise I followed the recipe. I also tried it Blush It's delicious!!!

I believe

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.