Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome, double welcome and triple welcome to our third annual Homecoming Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Cheshire Cat
Bree

Nov 14 2008, 6:04pm

Post #101 of 308 (3404 views)
Shortcut
Exploding drinks!? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be such a waste!!! Laugh

Lovely to see you again hun and hope life is treating you well.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Post #102 of 308 (3504 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just a thread that you relax, talk about whatever is on your mind, and/or simply ask our dear bartender for a drink! It's a nice atmosphere :)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Post #103 of 308 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Hey Sir Dennis [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in Detroit too, but an eastsider. Small world, isn't it?

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:05pm

Post #104 of 308 (3330 views)
Shortcut
Thank Arwen's d:)\ [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 6:05pm

Post #105 of 308 (3654 views)
Shortcut
*clink* Perfect toast, dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, GDT's first post couldn't have been more perfect. Here's to many more over the coming years.

*pours extra shot of Baileys into hot coffee*

I hope you have a fun, enjoyable weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2008, 6:06pm

Post #106 of 308 (3480 views)
Shortcut
Happy 12th, master sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet you're going to sound just like your dad now! Laugh

Best of wishes for getting back to work, sil. I know how much fun you have with the gals in the office there...Wink !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Post #107 of 308 (3516 views)
Shortcut
Hear, Hear! / [In reply to] Can't Post

FantasyFan
Rohan

Post #108 of 308 (3286 views)
Shortcut
But does it have wings? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Altaira.
And I see it takes four hobbits to carry. That's a plus in my books.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Post #109 of 308 (3534 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the prompt reponse everyone.

So the next round of drinks is on me! Apparently my Republic Credits are no good for buying hyperdrives in Tatooine, so I have change to spare. WinkTongue

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2008, 6:07pm

Post #110 of 308 (3180 views)
Shortcut
Hey, sil! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I know; it's nice to see you. :) I'm glad your shoulder's on the mend, and I hope everything goes very well for you, sil!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2008, 6:07pm

Post #111 of 308 (3576 views)
Shortcut
I can always [In reply to] Can't Post

appreciate a nice scotch. Don't know many brands.....but my father-in-law gives me a bottle of glen fidditch every year for Xmas.
I've been attending the Ottawa Wine and Food for over a decade now. Started as attending as a student when in University in Ottawa, and have been going back every year since. Its just brilliant. The women get dressed up in gorgeous dresses, the men are in shirts and ties (mostly anyway, its become a little less 'formal' over the years) and its shoulder-to-shoulder booze from around the world and samples of food. This years theme was California wine. Past years have include Portugal, Italy, France......
We tend to go in a group and split up, men go one way and the women go another. The men tend to go off sampling beers, scotch and whiskey. The women tend to go off sampling wine, liquers, and food. Occassionally we meet up in the crowded place some where, share hints on the better exhibits, great a bit of fresh air (smoke breaks for some) and then go our separate ways until the hall closes and boots us all out onto the streets of downtown Ottawa. It's then off to a bar (the Wine and Food is done at 9:00 pm) down town to see if we can consume any more booze and food, then off to some ones home or hotel to end the evening. Normally we're at the convention early in the day (this year we were inside just after noon), so by the end of the evening none of us are feeling any pain. It is one of my favourite days of the year, and we all have a blast.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 14 2008, 6:08pm

Post #112 of 308 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Can't complain much [In reply to] Can't Post

Kiddies are growing up, I still have a job, and the drinks here are still free. How 'bout you?

stormcrow20
Gondor

Nov 14 2008, 6:09pm

Post #113 of 308 (3428 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful day to Lil' Sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

12 is an awesome age! Tell him to live in the moment and enjoy life to the fullest!

Hope you get well soon, Sil. Cheers, TORnbro!

Dulcius ex asperis.
Sweeter after difficulties.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:10pm

Post #114 of 308 (3541 views)
Shortcut
Tee hee [In reply to] Can't Post

Not actually in Detroit -- South Detroit is what we call our neck of the woods here in Canada: The only part of Canada that is actually south from the US. I'll be here for a couple more weeks then it off to greener pastures.

Cheshire Cat
Bree

Nov 14 2008, 6:10pm

Post #115 of 308 (3441 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you just summed up my life!! Laugh

I'm fine thanks. Still working, still mumming, still drinking...

Crazy

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 14 2008, 6:11pm

Post #116 of 308 (3456 views)
Shortcut
Close enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Detroit's really just a suburb of Windsor anyway, isn't it? Our former mayor thought so...

Seriously though, I do hope you find work and are able to reuinite the family soon. Are you having to go far?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:12pm

Post #117 of 308 (3395 views)
Shortcut
In that case [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have gin and tonic... that rum and coke went down a might quick I'm afraid.

Oh and thank you my friend. It sounds like you are doing great with your writing. I'm impressed to say the least. Smile

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 14 2008, 6:16pm)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 14 2008, 6:13pm

Post #118 of 308 (3364 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to Sil II [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's gramma with the cake and ice cream? Can you here us all singing "Happy Birthday" over here? We are...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:15pm

Post #119 of 308 (3496 views)
Shortcut
Yesh [In reply to] Can't Post

about 6 hours away. Too far for a weekly commute. Still, I love the country where I'm off to (around Ottawa/Kingston) so that will be nice. I will miss my wife and children though. And the cat, I guess.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Post #120 of 308 (3414 views)
Shortcut
The more things change, [In reply to] Can't Post

the more we wish we were young again.

No, wait, that's not how it goes.

Life is like a pile of leaves....

No, that's not it either.

Possibly too much Flaming Balrog has been taken. I'm glad to hear life's not throwing you too many curves.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #121 of 308 (3429 views)
Shortcut
Cheers dernwyn! Have a great weekend :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:18pm

Post #122 of 308 (3603 views)
Shortcut
How very [In reply to] Can't Post

thoughtful of you... hugs right back.

Hey do you want a drink? Arwen's Daughter is buying...

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Nov 14 2008, 6:20pm

Post #123 of 308 (3432 views)
Shortcut
Just dropped in to say hello. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, all. I don't get over here very often any more, though I do look in on the RR now and then. My life is going on much the same as usual, managing my websites, hanging out in various online communities, and looking after my cats. Recently the latter task has been expanded to include the newest members of the family, a litter of eight born to a very pregnant stray I took in. Never a dull moment.

"People accuse me of being cross, and crabbed, and unsociable, and they are quite right." --Red Reera, the Yookoohoo

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 6:21pm

Post #124 of 308 (3460 views)
Shortcut
How [In reply to] Can't Post

is the FM? This cold weather can't be helping much. I suppose you've tried homeopathy and Chinese Herbal Medicine?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2008, 6:21pm

Post #125 of 308 (3550 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is there a job waiting for you, there?

Keep up your Hobbitry in heart, sirD! You never know where this path will lead!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.