Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome, double welcome and triple welcome to our third annual Homecoming Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 308 (4984 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, double welcome and triple welcome to our third annual Homecoming Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

SmileCool
Woot! It’s time again for that one special Fiesta each year where we welcome back TORn alumni, celebrate the folks who are regulars here (new and old) and possibly even lure out a lurker or two *looks through screen* You know who you are! LoL! Laugh

What a year it’s been, eh? (That ‘eh’ is for you Canadians Wink). We had the announcement that PJ and New Line were going to produce The Hobbit, we had the demise of New Line, we found out that Guillermo Del Toro will direct two Hobbit movies and he’s even joined in on the discussions on our Hobbit Movie board. Speaking of the Hobbit Movie board, it’s new too since we gathered here last. And last, but not least, we’re only five registrations away from having 3,000 users on the boards (give or take a few pirate names and registration boo boos, lol). Laugh

So, since we have so much to celebrate, I guess we’d better get started! No worries if you come in late: the party will last all weekend (until it falls off the baord, that is).

*kicks juke box* the Welcome Back Kotter theme starts to play

Enjoy Fiesta and don’t you alumni and lurkers be strangers. Stick around and join in the anticipation of The Hobbit, and all the exciting things we'll have to celebrate next year!! Smile

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya, Back here where we need ya?

Yeah we tease you a lot cause we've got you on the spot. Welcome back!
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2008, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 308 (4189 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just had time to dash in before running out the door -- I've had the week off and it's been great, got a lot done, even *whispers* some Christmas shopping! But it's back to the grind on Monday. I'll be lucky if I get another day off before the holidays. But the end is in sight! I'm retiring in January. Then I'll probably look for a part-time job.

Here's hoping lots of alumni (I almost said "old-timers" but thought better of it) come out of the woodwork to say hi!

Coffee to go, please Altaira!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2008, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 308 (4200 views)
Shortcut
Hi I'm new [In reply to] Can't Post

and so I claim my free extra huge tankard of 1420! - I've got the coupon right ..er somewhere Wink

Its a wild a windy evening here now, so I need a beer to see me off home - well once this last bit of work is finished.

Have a good weekend

Cheers

The admin powered by testosterone!

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 308 (4110 views)
Shortcut
Lol! Happy Friday to you too, Elberbeth [In reply to] Can't Post

*pours hot coffee in 'to-go' mug*

Oooh, retiring? Best of luck with that - but first to the shopping!

Have a great weekend, dear. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Nov 14 2008, 5:16pm

Post #5 of 308 (4241 views)
Shortcut
If the names have all changed since I hung around -- [In reply to] Can't Post

-- how will I know who anyone is?!

Now and then NE lets me know what's happening in the Reading Room, and I look at my schedule and at my ability to get through any reading by the time work is done, and whimper. (On Fairy Stories!! You couldn't have done that while I was on holiday, in ... I forget? If I want to catch up on it in, maybe, December? will it all have fallen off the boards? But at least you've reminded me that I'm missing something right now, and I think I'd like it back ... )

*hugs to Altaira*

And make mine a pint of your best.

~ Lú

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 5:17pm

Post #6 of 308 (4402 views)
Shortcut
OMG [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Friday already?

Well I'm forced to move to an area where jobs are more plentiful... alone. My wife is moving in with her mother. Ain't this economy grande?

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:18pm

Post #7 of 308 (4151 views)
Shortcut
Great! A newbie. Drinks are on Hengist! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's only if you spill you huge stein of 1420 in the gale force winds, lol. It's been windy here too and we finally got our first tiny dusting of snow. But, the weekend is supposed to be warm and glorious. Hope you have a good one there too, Hengist! Smile

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 5:20pm

Post #8 of 308 (4371 views)
Shortcut
Hello Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi sibs! I actually made it because my shoulder rehab is not 'til 2. SO, please if you will please dear barkeep a hot apple cider mug with cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of whiskey.
I need something soothing because i will probably go to back to work on light duty to start by being a sexcretary and do filing so awhile.
Past that it is master sil's 12th birthday today and his voice is changing to boot. He got an ipod Shocked$$ for his gift + hellboy II -3 dvd. Anyone can wish him a 'happy' and i will relate it.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 308 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Lol, welcome back LR!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We miss you too!! But, glad you still keep in touch, even if it's only second hand.

*tabs the best keg in the house*

*clink*

Here's to more TORn time for you and more Luthien time for us! WinkSmile

*big hugs back! Smile

TORn Calendar

Vidstige
Bree

Nov 14 2008, 5:21pm

Post #10 of 308 (4505 views)
Shortcut
Hullo [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to be back. How are you all doing?

I'd like a 1420 please. Smile

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant...do you waaaaaant...to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2008, 5:22pm

Post #11 of 308 (4065 views)
Shortcut
"Huzzah!" :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome, indeed! :)

I'll take a large Fall/Winter Usual-- perhaps with some whipped cream and sprinkles?-- to celebrate the occasion! (Thanks! :) )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:22pm

Post #12 of 308 (4239 views)
Shortcut
Awwww [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear that, Sir Dennis. Frown

I'm sure things will look up and the situation will only be temporary. Best of luck with your job search. Any idea where you'll be looking?

*pours Sir Dennis a strong rum and coke*

Cheers and remember we're always here to offer encouragement Smile

TORn Calendar

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Nov 14 2008, 5:23pm

Post #13 of 308 (4268 views)
Shortcut
Hope the newbie remembered - [In reply to] Can't Post

- the cookies. In the meets I run, newbies always bring cookies for the admins.

(or so we tell them beforehand)

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2008, 5:24pm

Post #14 of 308 (4294 views)
Shortcut
Hullo Vidstige [In reply to] Can't Post

nice to see you again Smile. Things are Ok round here - Hows things in the northern wilds Wink

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:25pm

Post #15 of 308 (4225 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday to sil II [In reply to] Can't Post

Little sil? Mini-sil? Laugh

May the mothballs be replaced in your wallet by the time he turns 13. Wink

Good luck with the therapy and going back to work. Take it easy at first. Smile

TORn Calendar

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 14 2008, 5:25pm

Post #16 of 308 (4333 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic Fiesta Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

I even have to finish my first year here. So makes me that a newbie or a regular. Well, at least not an alumni.
But I have to say, I love it here. And with that certainly as a high-light Fiesta Friday. In my timezone really so well done. Here it is 6 PM, so I just have come home from work and the weekend has really started.

To everybody a grant Fiesta and a great weekend!
Let's have fun. And to many years more to come.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:26pm

Post #17 of 308 (4195 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Vidstige! [In reply to] Can't Post

So good to see you here! We have plenty of 1420 to go around, so kick up your feet and enjoy the party! Oh, and please don't be a stranger. We like your company. Smile

TORn Calendar

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 5:27pm

Post #18 of 308 (4214 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

newbies have to summit to a pledging period with paddling and barkeep cleanup. I will also warn you there is one on staff here that goes around with a sword swathing Z's on shirt fronts.

Good afternoon brotherLaugh.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu (From the website: 'The realm of Manwe')

Cheshire Cat
Bree

Post #19 of 308 (4252 views)
Shortcut
Well howdy diddly doody folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

How's things?

Lovely to see some ol' faces around the place.

You know my order Alt - a nice bottle of Chilean red as per usual, plus a few glasses for anyone who wants to come and join me. Smile Tuck in folks.

It's nice to be back.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #20 of 308 (4220 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

but its been a long day and they some how got eaten before I got here.... Rest assured they were very nice Angelic

Nice to see you LR

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 308 (4190 views)
Shortcut
whipped cream and sprinkles, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and a little extra miruvor too. Wink

I hope you have fun plans for the weekend, Evey. Enjoy them, whatever they happen to be. Smile

TORn Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2008, 5:28pm

Post #22 of 308 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, LR! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get that reading done-- and get back what you're missing! :)

Have a great weekend, Luthien Rising! :)

Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Nov 14 2008, 5:29pm

Post #23 of 308 (4450 views)
Shortcut
thanks, Eventides - and you too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

-

Lúthien Rising

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 14 2008, 5:29pm

Post #24 of 308 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Working from home this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm getting a little cranky because I can't get my chair and cushion and blankie comfy. Crazy

We have snow! That is to say, there is a sprinkle of white on the grass and on my car. But for the first snowfall in Denver on November 14, it's not very impressive. If the sun comes out, it'll melt before I get out of the house for lunch.

Welcome back to all the oldbies and alums and other miscellaneous Fiesta-ers! Pull up a drink and have a chair! (Er...)

I'll have my usual iced tea, please, Altaira!

I'm still plugging away at my NaNoWriMo "novel" but it's not very interesting and even I'm starting to get bored. Tongue

Have a great weekend, all!

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

http://mallika.vox.com/

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2008, 5:30pm

Post #25 of 308 (4321 views)
Shortcut
Perfect timing, Rosie [In reply to] Can't Post

...both for your arrival at TORn and for being one of the lucky ones for whom Fiesta really *is* happy hour. Laugh

Glad you found your way to us in time to enjoy all the Hobbit fun!!

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.