Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Futurama: Bender's Game - Cornwood is mirror image of Middle-earth!

_V_
Lorien

Nov 12 2008, 1:58am

Post #1 of 13 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Futurama: Bender's Game - Cornwood is mirror image of Middle-earth! Can't Post

As many of you know, "Futurama: Bender's Game" is the 3rd Futurama straighta-to-DVD movie / 5th season which returns the show from its unwarranted cancellation in 2003 (high DVD sales and rerun rates on Cartoon Network proved that it was really cancelled for internal politics; fans love it, and as they explain when they return in the 1st dvd movie, "those asinine morons who cancelled us were themselves fired for uncompetence!")

Anyway, the entire movie is a parody of Dungeons and Dragons more than Tolkien, but because Tolkien influenced fantasy so much, there's quite a few LOTR references....which I will not list here.

Though I must say that the best references were that they have a whole scene of Treebeard helping them cross a river (its not just a cameo; animated quite impressively) but wait to see how things end up for the Ent in this one!

and they made "Roberto the Insane Robot" into their analog of Denethor ("Are you calling me crazy?! I'm not crazy! Just because I think there's a hotel inside of my foot doesn't make me crazy! Now march our legions into the ocean, I declare war on the scallops!")

Anyway, the point of the movie is that Bender sees the children playing Dungeons and Dragons, and doesn't understand how they can be "fighting in a fantasy land" when he just sees them sitting around a table. They realize that Bender, being a robot, physically does not posses an Imagination: robots aren't built with them. After much trial and error, they teach Bender to be able to imagine things by playing D&D alot. However, he takes it too far (they base this on those old rumors 30 years ago that D&D would make you go crazy and get lost in fantasy) and loses his mind: Bender becomes utterly lost in his fantasy, and starts thinking that he *actually is* his D&D character: "Titanius Anglesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood!!"

"Cornwood" is the name that Bender made up for the Middle-earth-esque fantasy-land his character is from. However, due to a dark matter reality warp in the middle of the movie (they explain this) they get trapped in an alternate reality based on Bender's imagination; a real live "Cornwood"

Anyway, at one point they show map of "Cornwood" and I was looking at a pic of it here:

and I realized something:

This is a map of Middle-earth, reversed as a mirror image. Well, it's a map of the southern lands: Gondor and Mordor. On the left, you can see Mordor reversed, with Gorgoroth in the north-east (instead of the north-west) and the "Geysers of Gygax" (their version of Mount Doom) a bit south of the actual Mount Doom. On the right hand page, on the top left you can clearly see Rauros falls, Emyn Muil, and the Wetwang marshes (where Entwash meets Anduin). They've even got Cair Andros and the mouths of Anduin, and all of the mountains and rivers of Gondor. They copied the Middle-earth map completely, but then ingeniously reversed it as a mirror image.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

(This post was edited by _V_ on Nov 12 2008, 2:01am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 12 2008, 2:14am

Post #2 of 13 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Now I can't wait to see it [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to post a LOTR reference the other night. In American Dad, Jason's (?) goth girlfriend saves him from a jock mob by saying "You shall not pass!" flipping on Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart and then dancing.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2008, 4:19am

Post #3 of 13 (1185 views)
Shortcut
My all-time favorite LOTR reference [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the great Battle of Boxingham Palace. It's a mix of Helm's Deep and the Battle of Pelennor.

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

I mean they even have the LOTR music in the background. I cannot help but burst into song when I watch this part of the episode.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 12 2008, 6:48am

Post #4 of 13 (1151 views)
Shortcut
*rubs eyes* [In reply to] Can't Post

The pic isn't showing for me Frown

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2008, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 13 (1120 views)
Shortcut
omg! I've never seen this before! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's priceless!!!!! Bwahahaha! The music, the ladders, the Aragorn-esque onslaught! PERFECT!

Thanks so much!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

tennie75
Lorien

Nov 13 2008, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 13 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Geysers of Gygax? [In reply to] Can't Post

*snort *

must find dvd thanks for sharing

(This post was edited by tennie75 on Nov 13 2008, 1:30pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 13 2008, 2:21pm

Post #7 of 13 (1101 views)
Shortcut
It is soundtrack music [In reply to] Can't Post

although it's from the Nazgul's assault on Minas Tirith... not from Helm's Deep.

the funniest part of that is the metallic 'schwing' noises the cardboard tube swords make.

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 13 2008, 4:51pm

Post #8 of 13 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Me neither. [In reply to] Can't Post

Red X of Doom. And when I do a google search, I come up with a real town named Cornwood

One thing I discovered back when we were first starting the Map project was that Colorado is kind of a mirror image of Middle Earth, if you color all the land below 4500 feet blue. I reversed the image to make it more obvious here (I don't really think the Four Corners area is Mordor, though it is definitely a desert):

Photobucket

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2008, 11:33pm

Post #9 of 13 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was the one who helped translate those darn lyrics; I will never forget that music in my life ;)

The sound-effects were definitely priceless!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

_V_
Lorien

Nov 14 2008, 1:31am

Post #10 of 13 (1097 views)
Shortcut
(fixed picture link) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/6/66/Cornwood_map.png/800px-Cornwood_map.png

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 14 2008, 2:18am

Post #11 of 13 (1078 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

yes... I think I remember that conversation

I totally read your post as 'I think they even have LOTR music in the background.' It must have been pre-coffee!

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Hobbiton
Rivendell

Nov 14 2008, 8:01am

Post #12 of 13 (1092 views)
Shortcut
A little correction [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I meant to post a LOTR reference the other night. In American Dad, Jason's (?) goth girlfriend saves him from a jock mob by saying "You shall not pass!" flipping on Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart and then dancing.

The son's name is Steve. Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 14 2008, 5:21pm

Post #13 of 13 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't entirely sure as I don't usually watch the show. Did you see this episode?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.