Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Unused scenes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 2:36am

Post #1 of 40 (2739 views)
Shortcut
Unused scenes Can't Post

I'm still working on these images. I thought there were a handful but there are really quite a few.

I'm looking at an expansion called: Reflections. Wikipedia says this set "took material from all three films and material produced by Weta specifically for the game."

Some of the cards were clearly not in the movie. Others I can't be 100% sure of. I think it's possible that this was addressed in the previous thread but let's start new with questions and answers, shall we?

So, how about these:

are these from the prologue?

Durin III, Dwarf Lord

Linnar, Dwarf Lord

Sindri, Dwarf Lord

Uri, Dwarf Lord

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2008, 2:42am

Post #2 of 40 (2414 views)
Shortcut
I think I recognise [In reply to] Can't Post

the first two shots from the prologue, but I'm not sure about the others.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 7 2008, 2:43am

Post #3 of 40 (2383 views)
Shortcut
psst... Welcome to Gondor! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for November

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 2:47am

Post #4 of 40 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm kind of hoping for something other than 'think' [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause 'think' won't satisfy my criteria for inclusion. I'll have to put the movies in.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2008, 2:48am

Post #5 of 40 (2379 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks mighty fine around here. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2008, 2:50am

Post #6 of 40 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to put the movie in to be sure.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 2:55am

Post #7 of 40 (2401 views)
Shortcut
If anyone's considering putting the movie in [In reply to] Can't Post

and playing in a role in this momentous project (stroking enough?) ... hold off a bit. I've got more images that might be in the prologue.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 3:19am

Post #8 of 40 (2387 views)
Shortcut
okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

The other images that I wondered about (tonight.. the more I look, the more I find) are images of the Men with Rings in the prologue. I'm pretty sure the people are the same but the shots are different than the prologue. So I'm not going to bother uploading them here. I want to keep forging ahead. So if you're prone to put in the movie and look at those dwarves... have it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 40 (2359 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

That last one is from this prologue pic... which I have to check and see if it's the film's prologue moment or definitely an outtake.

It looks like at leas one of the others is in that group for the Council of Elrond. I need a magnifying glass!!!! :D

You're on a roll Magpie! This is fantastic :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 6:50pm

Post #10 of 40 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Great job. I'm thinking that... [In reply to] Can't Post

even if they were used in the movie, these are different angles, and some show the image better. An example is the one you are showing of Sindri. I've never seen those silver rings before.

Thanks for removing the extraneous material from the pics, too, Magpie.

Permanent address: Into the West

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 7:07pm

Post #11 of 40 (2344 views)
Shortcut
yeah... that's kind of where I ended up last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the images of the faces may be a slight 'duplicate' of what we can see on screen. The image of the rings are closer and more revealing than what we might (or might not) see on screen. So, I'm including the ones I find.

I may miss a shot of a person that is different than on screen. For example, there may be a shot of Elrond in the prologue that isn't exactly as it appeared on screen. But we know who Elrond is. We saw this screen. There's nothing revealing about the image beyond the movie so I'm not trying to figure out : Is this different or not. I'm just not including it.

I'm also not fussing over generic characters with vague designation. (i.e. Gondor sentry)

But for lesser known characters of some importance, I am including them. Some may appear on screen and some shots may be the same as on screen. But I'll err (in these cases) on the side of including.

I'm still working on images I've gathered and if, in the course of doing so, I run across more of these characters, I'll include them. But I'm not going to retroactively search through the entire lists for some character I might have missed. I got the main ones for sure. It would be those second tier ones I might have missed.

I will say that the number of cards I've found are astounding. I hate to guess but I think you'll all be surprised.

Child of Manwe
Rivendell

Nov 7 2008, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 40 (2347 views)
Shortcut
I remember tose from the prologue... [In reply to] Can't Post

They definitely look like the ones from when the Dwarves received there rings.

"Fear, Fire, Foes...Awake! Awake!
Fire, Foes! Awake! Awake!"

ringwraiths27

"Do you think we look mean enough, Sauron?"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2008, 11:34pm

Post #13 of 40 (2345 views)
Shortcut
I didn't remember the candles [In reply to] Can't Post

will have to pay closer attention next time.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 8 2008, 2:03am

Post #14 of 40 (2376 views)
Shortcut
Is this in the movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is she in the scene with the Elves running around all happy like that was unused? Or is she visible in Rivendell?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 8 2008, 2:09am

Post #15 of 40 (2353 views)
Shortcut
To my knowledge, she's never in the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a maid of Galadriel, but I've never seen her in the movie. ACS has a couple more pictures of her for costume reference.

http://alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Uruviel.htm

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 8 2008, 2:13am

Post #16 of 40 (2350 views)
Shortcut
The dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

We only see close-ups of two of the dwarves in the prologue. To my eye they look like Durin and Linnar from the pictures you've posted. Linnar's picture is almost exactly the shot used in the movie (but not quite) but Durin appears at a different angle.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 8 2008, 2:13am

Post #17 of 40 (2333 views)
Shortcut
that's what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

oddly, I can't find any sites with info on (images of) unused scenes to reference (other than the screen cap library). And I thought I had a few images but can't find any on my harddrive.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2008, 1:23pm

Post #18 of 40 (2327 views)
Shortcut
But she should have been ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO she's a lot lovelier and more Elf-like than some of the extras who did make the cut. I guess she just wasn't standing in the right place at the right time. But hey, she was the one who got a Decipher card. Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 8 2008, 3:52pm

Post #19 of 40 (2331 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to add your observations to my notes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for checking AD

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 8 2008, 5:54pm

Post #20 of 40 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Package : Tom & Goldie [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay... I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the amount of material so I'm going to start sharing some of it.

First package: Tom & Goldie.

Here's the information I have:

(Dates are just a general guide.)

I've found that the names used in the Decipher articles are often misspelled. When you find a discrepancy between spellings in this document and spellings in the Decipher articles, please know that I've researched and taken the spelling from a reputable site I trust.

March 2004 - bonus premium cards from The Countdown Collection:
  • Tom Bombadil, The Master
    • depicted by Harry Weller-Chew. Harry died in Feb 2007. I'm not sure how Harry became involved with this project but I found news of his death as an announcement through Insight Books in Upper Hutt where it seemed Harry worked or was connected. (http://www.lbs.org.nz/...ers/newsletter23.doc)
    • "His coat is actually a very early Gandalf test costume that never went very far. That's popped on him, and we made it a little bit more blue to fit with the description from the book. And his hat is a Hobbit hat. I think it's a Hobbit hat that we popped on him and colored up as well." (D. Falconer)
  • Goldberry, River-daughter - depicted by Amanda Neale; on-set wardrobe
    • "I don't think we had any real plans for (filming) Tom and Goldberry. They were one of those things that got cut very early on" (D. Falconer)

May 2004 - Reflections (took material from all three films and material produced by Weta specifically for the game) I suspect quite a few of the 'artifacts' or 'possessions' may have been staged after the movies by Weta. I only included ones that seemed to give us a clear view of something we hadn't really seen close up before.
  • Goldberry, River-daughter - also in Countdown Collection
  • Tom Bombadil, The Master - also in Countdown Collection

Summer 2004 - Promotional Cards Weta Collection

* Tom Bombadil's Hat

All this information is published on the web HERE. Feel free to use this information in whatever way pleases you. If anyone desires to credit the effort, please credit the TORn Unused Scene Project (or whatever name/acronym we come up with).

The images are zipped & uploaded to YouSendIt HERE. The bundle is about 1.5 MB. Gramma, let me know if this is too big and you would like smaller bundles.
The bundled images will be on YouSendIt for 7 days or 100 downloads, whichever comes first. If you miss the deadline and want the material, PM or email me.

Look for more posts with the word Package in the subject head for more groups of images. There are a lot but they will come in dribs and drabs.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8 2008, 7:43pm

Post #21 of 40 (2320 views)
Shortcut
She is lovely, [In reply to] Can't Post

and not as sharp-faced as some of the other Elf extras, but that's a really unlovely name for an Elf.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 8 2008, 9:48pm

Post #22 of 40 (2317 views)
Shortcut
Package : Ghan - Radagast - Grimbeorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Decipher Cards depicting unused scenes from the LOTR movies

Package: Ghan - Radagast - Grimbeorn

• Radagast, The Brown - depicted by John Harding; armour weapons/standby, Weta Workshop
    • John Harding had been cast for the part (never filmed) of Radagast in the film. Daniel Falconer said, "For a while there at least, there was talk about Radagast making an appearance, if only just in the background of a scene. A costume was made for him, and of course we never end up shooting, so this was a nice chance to use it. And interestingly enough, the guy who is our Radagast in these cards was actually going to be Radagast for the film as well, which is cool."

May 2004 - Reflections (took material from all three films and material produced by Weta specifically for the game) I suspect quite a few of the 'artifacts' or 'possessions' may have been staged after the movies by Weta. I only included ones that seemed to give us a clear view of something we hadn't really seen close up before.
  • Radagast, The Brown - also in Countdown Collection

• Ghân-buri-Ghân, Chieftain of the Woses
  • Radagast's Staff (in Radagast's folder)
    • "Radagast's staff was one of the only things that we started from scratch and completely made because we didn't have anything really appropriate for that But other things, like the costumes, were creative reuses from different characters, re-colored either digitally or redressed differently." (D. Falconer)

Jan 2006 - Expanded Middle-earth Deluxe Draft Box
  • Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftain - depicted by Peter Lyons; master swordsmith, Weta Workshop

Summer 07 Treachery & Deceit - no discussion of the set was found. I just scanned the list for candidates
  • Radagast's Herb Bag (in Radagast's folder)
  • Beorning Axe (In Grimbeorn's folder)

I've found that the names used in the Decipher articles are often misspelled. When you find a discrepancy between spellings in this document and spellings in the Decipher articles, please know that I've researched and taken the spelling from a reputable site I trust.

this information available as a web page:
http://docs.google.com/...=dchnzjvs_76crfrkddw

The images were zipped and placed at YouSendIt
https://www.yousendit.com/...o4bGtCZ1BreEN4dnc9PQ

The bundled images will be on YouSendIt for 7 days or 100 downloads, whichever comes first.
If you miss the deadline and want the material, PM or email me.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2008, 4:28am

Post #23 of 40 (2324 views)
Shortcut
Package : 3 G's - Glorfindel - Gil-galad - Gildor [In reply to] Can't Post

one more before bed...

• Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath - depicted by Jarl Benzon; Elven extra 'for ages and ages' (D. Falconer)
    • Jarl's brother, Jorn Benzon, played Rumil, the brother of Haldir.
    • Ringer Spy Gott pointed out something interesting: "Thought you might be interested in knowing that Glorfindel (as named so on a WETA-designed Decipher-card) is the elf that appears right before Arwen's banner at the coronation."

May 2004 - Reflections (took material from all three films and material produced by Weta specifically for the game)
  • Gil-galad, Elven High King - this character was in the movie but so many people don't realize it I thought it was worth sticking him in here
  • Aiglos (in Gil-galad's folder)
  • Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath - also in the Countdown Collection (above)

• Gildor Inglorion, Of the House of Finrod

This info is published as a web page: http://docs.google.com/...=dchnzjvs_78xzxx5nhq

The images are zipped and placed on YouSendIt: https://www.yousendit.com/...o4bGtGUnJvQUt4dnc9PQ

The bundled images will be on YouSendIt for 7 days or 100 downloads, whichever comes first.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2008, 4:25pm

Post #24 of 40 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Package : Imrahil - Brand - Anarion [In reply to] Can't Post

March 2004 - Siege of Gondor
  • Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth - depicted by Ian Hughes, actor
    • This character was in the movie under the name, Irolas. On a site offering autographs, I found this: "According to Mr. Hughes in an email, he tells me that he originally was named Beregond but was renamed Irolas before the post production ended." This page ( http://archives.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1048189316 ) also said he was being cast as Beregond but a link on that page to his website lists the part as Irolas.
Faramir: Mithrandir! They broke through our defences. They've taken the bridge and the west bank. Battalions of orcs are crossing the River
Irolas: It is as Lord Denethor predicted! Long has he foreseen this doom!

[Faramir is taken on a litter to the citadel courtyard.]
Irolas: Quick! Hurry!
[Denethor runs out to Faramir. The Gondorians put the litter down near the white tree.]
Denethor: Faramir! Say not that he has fallen!
Irolas: They were outnumbered. None survived.

• Anárion, Lord of Anórien

• Brand, King of Dale - depicted by Ben Wooten; designer/sculptor, Weta Workshop

This information is published as a web page: https://docs.google.com/...=dchnzjvs_79fcmwr5gj

The image files are zipped and placed on YouSendIt: https://www.yousendit.com/...o4bGtEb0JsamRjR0E9PQ

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2008, 4:35pm

Post #25 of 40 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Package : 2 Hobbits - Robin and Fatty [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer 07 Treachery & Deceit - no discussion of the set was found. I just scanned the list for candidates
  • Robin Smallburrow, Shirrif Cock-Robin
  • Fredegar Bolger, Fatty - depicted by Norman Cates; prosthetics technician/digital compositor, Weta Workshop.
  • Make a Run For It (Fatty) - depicted by Norman Cates; prosthetics technician/digital compositor, Weta Workshop
  • Golden Perch Ale (In Fredegar Bolger's folder)
    • "costumes and props received the same attention to detail as if for a full-scale epic, even to ... a beer barrel toted by Fatty Bolger" (Even though no barrel is visible on either of Fatty's cards, I believe this is the 'beer barrel' referred to in the quote.)

This info is published as a webpage: http://docs.google.com/...=dchnzjvs_80f3sf22gs

The image files are zipped and place on YouSendIt: https://www.yousendit.com/...o4bGtJWlRCSnJ2Wmc9PQ

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.