Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
After LOTR and Hobbit, do you expect to see more Tolkien in cinema ?
Poll: After LOTR and Hobbit, do you expect to see more Tolkien in cinema ?
no, nothing else Tolkien wrote is tight enough as a story
Children of Hurin
a high budget TV series based on the Silmarillion
it's more likely someone else will try LOTR and Hobbit
I don't care, it's all about the books anyway
View Results (49 votes)

xy
Rohan

Nov 4 2008, 8:07pm

Post #1 of 24 (985 views)
Shortcut
After LOTR and Hobbit, do you expect to see more Tolkien in cinema ? Can't Post

After the success of PJ's adaptation and much interest in GDT's tak on the Hobbit, will more Tolkien books be adapted for the big screen ?

edit: by LOTR and Hobbit I meant a remake, another adaptation. My vote goes for Children of Hurin, and there should be an option that says "the Tolkien estate will never allow another movie to be made".

(This post was edited by xy on Nov 4 2008, 8:08pm)

almas_sparks
Rohan

Nov 5 2008, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 24 (631 views)
Shortcut
not right away [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien estate is a problem but one day everything will become public property. So, after that, I can totally see influx of Tolkien-related stuff, unfortunately, most likely crappy TV versions. I`m really against that because Tolkien Universe requires best possible special effects and Tv just cannot provide that.Even with good story, crappy CGI takes one out of it. Sci Fi Channel adaptiation of Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune comes to mind. Outside of James McAvoy and Julie Cox, everything was subpar - acting, effects, editting, costumes (what was up with those prom dresses? yeesh!). Also, I don`t think that studios would invest money in adapting Children of Hurin since the book and characters (who appear in Silmarillion) aren`t famous and appealing to the public as much as LOTR and Hobbit. However, I do see a great potential for prequels that would do right what Star Wars prequels did wrong, namely, show us how the bad guy became the bad guy. One of things I find fascinating about LOTR is that it is named after the villain (Sauron = LOTR), yet he is barely seen. What we know about him is told from other people`s POV. We also know there is a backstory and when you read HOME, Sil, Unfinished Tales, you get a lot of pieces of that backstory and yet there`s a lot left to be desired. I dunno, but skillful writers could do wonders with it.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2008, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 24 (631 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

it has been suggested before that the Sil could be done best as an animated series. I might a agree with that. I also wonder if some of HoME could be done the same way. I am very leary of a high-budget live action tv show. For some reason it doesn't 'sit' well with me.....Would I like to see more done...yes....maybe....depends on the script. I don't want to see material like this made simply because it can be done. If there is no heart and soul put into it, in otherwards its done for the money, then I say leave it. The written word is more, much more than adequate to sustain the imagination.

labadal
Rivendell

Nov 6 2008, 12:55am

Post #4 of 24 (600 views)
Shortcut
There could be. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Children of Hurin is a good enough story so i think it might make it. Or the Silmarillion. I don't think it will happen for several years at least if any more projects do go ahead.
Personally I hope none are made into TV series as they tend to be lowed quality than a movie that can have a long time to take care of all the details which are important.
I don't know and I am quite ahppy with it staying as books or being developed into movies, as long as they are in true Tolkien style.

Antiel
The Shire

Nov 6 2008, 1:01am

Post #5 of 24 (590 views)
Shortcut
As much as I dont want them to [In reply to] Can't Post

Realisticly, I must say that I think somebody else will probably attempt to do the hobbit andLOTR and they will probably ruin them!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2008, 4:37am

Post #6 of 24 (601 views)
Shortcut
Not while CRRT is holding the reins \\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbiton
Rivendell

Nov 6 2008, 7:16am

Post #7 of 24 (670 views)
Shortcut
I just think it will end [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least not another film for a good 10-20 years.

NorskGudTor
The Shire

Nov 7 2008, 4:41am

Post #8 of 24 (749 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see the Silmarillion done. What an epic film that would turn out to be. As long as it was done outside Hollyweird and under Peter Jackson's authority.

bearwen
Lorien

Nov 9 2008, 11:18am

Post #9 of 24 (538 views)
Shortcut
If allowed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is scope in lots of Tolkiens work to be adapted, especially the lost tales and the Sil, but will the Tolkien estate allow the rights to be sold???

xy
Rohan

Nov 9 2008, 1:11pm

Post #10 of 24 (540 views)
Shortcut
that said... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see the director and actors willing to take a tale as tragic as CoH. Maybe a small independent movie rather than a major Hollywood blockbuster ?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 9 2008, 5:39pm

Post #11 of 24 (564 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

CoH would make for good opera? Haven't read it yet but from all accounts it is pretty dark.

xy
Rohan

Nov 10 2008, 8:20am

Post #12 of 24 (560 views)
Shortcut
it is dark... [In reply to] Can't Post

But opera ? I don't know...those things are very long and my translation, the story without the intro and appendices, is 200 pages.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 10 2008, 6:10pm

Post #13 of 24 (518 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore recently composed an opera version of The Fly, which is based on a short story. And another short story, Brokeback Mountain, is being commissioned for an opera. I think CoH would provide ample material for an opera.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 10 2008, 6:54pm

Post #14 of 24 (713 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit keen on the concept of an animated Sil... [In reply to] Can't Post

or bits of the Sil.

I think animations offers ways to make it as dramatic as you want, but still fantastical which preserves the other worldly 'mythical' feel to the stories.

I even think a number of styles could work. I thought the supersaturated colors of Spirited Away were great. There was a very dramatic style (sorry... not enough of an anime fan to know any terms or anything) seen in one of the Animatrix segments that struck me as Sil-appropriate (it had horses... I remember that).

And man, have you seen the trailers that Blizzard puts out. They are freakin awesome. The animation is real enough to not be jarring (no big eyes, for example) but not so real to be disturbing. And the editing and camera angles of these trailers are really effective.

I would much rather see an animated treatment of these stories than a live action.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2008, 9:28pm

Post #15 of 24 (652 views)
Shortcut
Someone will take a crack at it in about 20-30 years ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always liked the idea of making the LOTR films, perhaps closer to the book. As Jackson differed his version a lot (and I had no problem with that) it leaves a lot of potential open for a remake. A loto f moments lefto ut would certainly make it in for my version. But hey, I'm talking about a completely different world. But yeah, we'll only ever see them again as remakes, but I could be wrong.

xy
Rohan

Nov 12 2008, 4:13pm

Post #16 of 24 (478 views)
Shortcut
could be but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know...what director would go up against critical and fan acclaim, 13 Oscars and truckloads of earned money ? Like it or not, everyone's version of LOTR will be compared to PJ - and GDT's Hobbit probably will, too.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 14 2008, 4:25pm

Post #17 of 24 (519 views)
Shortcut
that's my answer // [In reply to] Can't Post

Marionette
Rohan

Nov 15 2008, 4:19pm

Post #18 of 24 (455 views)
Shortcut
Dilema [In reply to] Can't Post

Well.... I have to see The Hobbit first, need too see how dissapoiting it is.
To se eif I can trust someone to made those movies.

I am not disagree with movies adaptations, but it depends on the level of dissapointment...and trust.

But I think "Children of Hurin" is great enough and easy to make a good movie.

LOTRocks
Bree

Dec 17 2008, 3:05pm

Post #19 of 24 (385 views)
Shortcut
ofcourse [In reply to] Can't Post

i would love to see the Silmarillion come out in some sort of film or series, i know its way to deep and complex to put in any type of film as some people belive but i feel that theres so much more that people wanna know and find out that its just aching there nerves so much to the point of snapping....like me,lol. Ive read some of the book but sometimes seeing it infront of your eyes in a film gives you a better experience than reading it, not for all books but certain ones that are huge novels and have gigantic storylines like Lord of the rings.

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 10 2009, 8:00pm

Post #20 of 24 (460 views)
Shortcut
No remake,please...!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"edit: by LOTR and Hobbit I meant a remake"
for me PJīs lotr is perfect-I donīt want a remake!!!
and if there are other works from tolkien in cinema in the future,I want the people who are gonna make them to do their very best!!I donīt want this wonderful stories to make them silly and weird!!!
DeniHeart

Cegwyn
Bree

Feb 1 2009, 4:46am

Post #21 of 24 (335 views)
Shortcut
NO [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted no, in the hope that the hobbit will be the end. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting middle-earth, but I just think any more would be pushing it. I'm also afraid that some idiot will try and re-make LotR. As if it needs it.

Eofrith
The Shire

Feb 1 2009, 3:37pm

Post #22 of 24 (435 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone will make a good series of 'The Silmarillion' or a faithful and well-budgetted series of 'The Lord of The Rings' which I have planned in my head during my spare time...I see it being like a TV version of the BBC Radio adaptation but with the Old Forest/Tom Bombadil scenes included...I doubt that will happen but I like to dream.

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 11:27pm

Post #23 of 24 (362 views)
Shortcut
I really don't knw.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I sure wouldn't mind seeing some version of The Silmarillion being adapted to tv or film. What a huge undertaking The Sil would be and confusing as hell if not handled properly.

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Aug 23 2010, 1:17am

Post #24 of 24 (385 views)
Shortcut
Yes! But it won't be a faithful to the source material as PJ's work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it will be adapted more. It will be loose and much will be added and taken away and embellished, just a Tolkien always wanted; a sort of mythology tapestry. But really The Hobbit and the LOTR only serve as, sort of, parts 5 & 6 out of what is a seven part story. The bigger story has only been hinted at in the films to date. The overall story of the Middle Earth is one of a loss of innocence. Evil seeks to destroy and good wins over it, sort of. Even after good 'wins' things are still not the same. Consider Galadrial's voice over at the beginning of the LOTR movies, "the world has changed ... much that once was is lost, and none now live who remember it." Defeating evil comes at a cost. Nothing ever goes back to the way it once was entirely. That is the story of Middle Earth; a pure, young earth slowing losing its purity, the elves leaving, all the magic in the world dying out, and men being the only remaining race in a stark and dull world. Tolkien always said that his mythology was about death, its the death of a world. Middle Earth is really a multi-generational epic tragedy, and it will probably end up somewhere between 7 and 9 films before the whole tale has been told. I only hope that people with a true passion for Tolkien, like PJ, continue this grand and immense work, always seeking to create something beautiful and true to Tolkien's vision. Because if the franchise becomes some hollywood machine of money makers and greedy executives, then everything that Tolkien's books stand for will be contradicted in a sick and perverse irony.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.