Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A five year anniversary

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 4 2008, 2:33am

Views: 859
Shortcut
A five year anniversary Can't Post

Five years ago today, the website, A Magpie's Nest, went live.

I wanted to acknowledge this anniversary and wondered how. In considering a mathom (of course) I realized I could finalize something I was really wanting to do.

Figuring out what is sung at any particluar point is pretty tricky. But with the FOTR, I think we now have enough resources to get us pretty close to accurate and complete. I decided to set the format the lyrics for printing rather than just for web viewing. So, here is my mathom for fans of the soundtrack, a printable pdf of all the lyrics in the FOTR.
The FOTR Master Lyrics List.

But, in my head, there's so much more going on. I'm thinking a lot about where I am today as opposed to five years ago... or even better, six years ago when I fell in love with Tolkien and started my study of the soundtrack. I don't think I could ever have conceived the people I would meet, the experiences I would have, the skills I would acquire. I am reminded of an article Tehanu wrote on April 29th, 2004, Where To From Here?
For many people, the books and the movies turned their lives around in ways they could never have forseen. They followed their strong attraction to The Lord of the Rings and what it represented for them, and their feelings pointed them towards new friends, new pastimes, new talents, new jobs, new countries, a new life entirely.

Woah. That was me. I was a TA in an online LOTR class. I moderated and started forums. I made friends online and then met them in person. I made a website. I corresponded with people from Croatia, Belgium, Netherlands, Australia, England, and India. I got letters from heavy metal rockers and nuns... 15 year olds and 50 year olds. I decided to go back to school, going for the slightly scarier option of design since, although I'd lived a creative life I'd never taken an art class in my life.

So my question to you is, how has your life changed because of Tolkien? Or, alternately, how does it all matter? What importance has any of the works associated with Tolkien had in your life?

Last thought. If you enjoy the singing and lyrics of the soundtrack, watch for a new series of discussions lead by HobbitLove and OrdinaryHobbit on the LOTR movie board. I can't wait to see what they've got in mind.

LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 4 2008, 2:41am)

Subject User Time
A five year anniversary Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 4 2008, 2:33am
    {{{Magpie}}}} Yay!! :) Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa Nov 4 2008, 3:12am
        discussing Tolkien Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 4 2008, 4:43am
    A sad one for me simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Nov 4 2008, 3:48am
        When I went through my summer of Tolkien Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 4 2008, 4:36am
            Beautiful words! simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Nov 4 2008, 4:16pm
            This part of your reply here really struck me.. weaver Send a private message to weaver Nov 4 2008, 4:33pm
            The same thing grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 4 2008, 5:21pm
                I don't know if I've ever reacted to anything the way I reacted to LOTR that summer. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:13am
        whoa SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 4 2008, 8:02am
            Sure, I meant the dream! :)) simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Nov 4 2008, 4:23pm
    Congratulations! Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Nov 4 2008, 5:00am
        I remember that presentation Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:03am
            What I meant Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Nov 6 2008, 4:39am
                wow... I am impressed with your thoroughness Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 5:13am
                    I know, Aerin Send a private message to Aerin Nov 6 2008, 5:39am
                        yeah.... I can Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 6:46am
    Congragulations! sador Send a private message to sador Nov 4 2008, 9:03am
        long term influences Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:08am
    Woohoo!! Happy TORniversary, Magpie!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Nov 4 2008, 3:45pm
    Happy day Magpie. SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 4 2008, 3:56pm
    **mods up to magnificent* weaver Send a private message to weaver Nov 4 2008, 4:21pm
        I love serendiptious things like that, don't you? Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:16am
    Happy Anniversary Magpie! Zmulady Send a private message to Zmulady Nov 4 2008, 7:37pm
        I'm looking forward to meeting too. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:22am
    Many happy returns of your TORniversary, Magpie! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Nov 4 2008, 9:39pm
    Lol... I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't make this correction Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 4 2008, 10:14pm
    Tehanu's signoff _V_ Send a private message to _V_ Nov 4 2008, 11:53pm
        Tehanu's notes Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:24am
    Happy tORNiversary Magpie Elven Send a private message to Elven Nov 5 2008, 2:05am
    Happy TORniversary Magpie :D Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin Nov 5 2008, 2:14am
    Happy TORniversary, Magpie! Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Nov 5 2008, 3:58am
    Question about your site- Laerasėa Send a private message to Laerasėa Nov 5 2008, 4:43am
        well... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:33am
    Happy Websiteversary Magpie:) silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Nov 5 2008, 5:10am
        sharing personal experiences Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Nov 6 2008, 2:45am
            Bilbo:D! I will laugh with you. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Nov 7 2008, 2:32am
    Happy Anniversary! Alassėa Eruvande Send a private message to Alassėa Eruvande Nov 6 2008, 1:58pm
    Thought you (and others) might enjoy this SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Nov 6 2008, 6:18pm
    Happy 5th Anniversary!// Larewen Send a private message to Larewen Nov 7 2008, 2:47am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.