OK, after nearly 24 hours....
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 11:12pm

Post #26 of 60 (723 views)
Shortcut
My top three would be similar to yours, [In reply to] Can't Post

though so far, I haven't used the search feature. I have already edited a post (yay!), and it's nice to be able to preview a post without having to be careful not to select "preview with spell check." (I'll probably never use the spell check feature, though).

I also love having a taller box in which to type my posts! And not having to worry about the board refreshing while I'm composing a post!

What I wish I could change:

(1) Not being able to control the font and type size in which posts are displayed or the width at which the type wraps. I can increase the type size in my browser and manually make the browser window narrower, but this means having to change things back for the other sites I use most, and I still can't use the font I prefer. Also, the text in some of the posts won't wrap, so if I want to read posts comfortably, I'm constantly resizing the browser window. What a pain!

(2) Incompatibility of the advanced editing feature with my browser (Safari). I'm not about to change my browser, for various reasons, and basic editing makes things much *less* convenient than they were on the old boards.

(3) Having default subject lines ("Re"). I'm really tempted to institute a policy of never opening a post with a "Re" subject line! But as soon as I make this resolution, I forget to enter a subject line!

(4) Not having "no text" labels. Without a prompt, hardly anyone remembers to label their no-text posts, and it's really annoying to open them.

(5) Not being able to have posts list in the order I prefer. It's not just a matter of what one is used to; it's a matter of what seems most logical and intuitive.

(6) Posts being cluttered with needless quotes, because not everyone is using the threaded view. The massive quoting is one of the things that has annoyed me most about other forums with this type of board, and I hope it doesn't get out of hand here!

(7) Seeing how many times a post has been read. I thought I would like this, but in practice, I find it distasteful. It makes it seem like some kind of popularity contest.

(8) Seeing what level of user people are. This isn't a problem yet, but after a while, this will be intimidating to newbies. It's another feature of this type of board that has put me off from other forums.

(9) Not having user names right next to the subject lines. It's annoying to have to look back and forth when deciding whether to open a post.

(10) Not having modding. It was sometimes abused, but mostly it functioned very well as a way of flagging inappropriate posts (and making them disappear) and of bringing really must-read posts to everyone's attention. IMHO, modding was part of what made TORn feel like a community.

(11) Smilies! ;-P

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 12:12am

Post #27 of 60 (703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerin] How about a regular BSG thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Every Sunday night/Monday morning? I'd love it!

I was relieved to see in the paper the SciFi renewed BSG for another season.

Back on the thread's subject, it's a bit odd that with the new format, even though you were replying to various posts, you now have about three short messages in a row. I wonder if there's a way I should display them differently.

I also had a hard time remembering where I was having this discussion. I wonder if there's a way to mark the threads in which I posted?

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 12:21am

Post #28 of 60 (688 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

When you know you're going to want to continue a conversation, you could try the "Watch thread" button. It will send you emails when there are new replies. Which, of course, could be helpful or annoying, depending. But you can always un-watch them by going to Edit Profile and clicking on your Watched Threads list.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 12:21am

Post #29 of 60 (706 views)
Shortcut
Ted Nasmith original! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! No wonder.

I have an Alan Lee calendar, but it's not quite the same!

I was looking for some entwife-ish avatar but didn't find much that I liked at all. There's a whole lot of art out there that looks vaguely like the mud-flap babe with leaves.

Speaking of babes, there's mine up from his nap now.

Wynnie
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 12:25am

Post #30 of 60 (691 views)
Shortcut
BSG renewed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I hadn't heard that! Thanks for the good news!

In Reply To
I was relieved to see in the paper the SciFi renewed BSG for another season.

Owlamoo
ink drawing by JRRT

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 12:31am

Post #31 of 60 (737 views)
Shortcut
***a.s. has palpitations about forgetting to change subject lines.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(3) Having default subject lines ("Re"). I'm really tempted to institute a policy of never opening a post with a "Re" subject line! But as soon as I make this resolution, I forget to enter a subject line!

ACK!! I know I am going to forget this a hundred times. I really wish the default was a blank subject line that forced you to change it, like the "old Torn". That led to SUCH creative subject lines, the best on the net by far. Tell you what: I promise to not use smilies when I respond to your posts (except when I forget, of course!) if you promise not to skip my posts if I forget to change the subject line (skip on purpose, I mean). a.s. (refraining from a smilie here even though my fingers are ITCHING to insert one...)

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 1:09am

Post #32 of 60 (713 views)
Shortcut
Entmaidens and Entwives [In reply to] Can't Post

Any art I find is erm, unflattering, so I've never captured any. Let me know if you stumble on something - us Ent-girls need to stick together. Smile

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

hatster
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 2:17am

Post #33 of 60 (702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Entwife Wandlimb] How about a regular BSG thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Use the threaded view and it will look and feel much more like the old boards and you can better keep track of which post you meant to respond to

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 3:43am

Post #34 of 60 (710 views)
Shortcut
To: [Aerin] No text messages/ [In reply to] Can't Post

What we do on my board and on other N54 boards I go to is that, whenever there's a no text message, you put the "/" at the end of the subject. Of course, on my board, the board software won't let you just post a blank message, so you have to at least type in a blank space. I don't know if these boards would let you just post a "no text" message. If they do, we could adopt this as a convention (or something similar.)

In Reply To

(4) Not having "no text" labels. Without a prompt, hardly anyone remembers to label their no-text posts, and it's really annoying to open them.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards:
Top 5 Browsers/OSs:

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:27am

Post #35 of 60 (695 views)
Shortcut
Probably a bad time for me to answer this, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on search, edit, and spellcheck - none of which I've used yet, but I imagine I will. It's kind of nice to be able to tell at a glance if there are new posts in a forum.

I think more people might post in more forums (fora?), just because they're right there, with enticing "NEW" marks next to them.

But ... I miss my old post font and color, and others'; I liked being able to have that automatically.

I kind of miss spoiler messages. And, yes, modding; it had its place when it wasn't used as personal attack.

I'm not sure I like art and parodies and whatnot being shunted off onto its own board. I feel all segregated.

And I hate making a moron of myself by fouling up html in midpost. What works in a footer doesn't work in a post. It's taken me all this time, mainly on TORn, to learn the little html I know, and now it's worthless here. *kicks at dirt* *whines more* I don't wanna get used to using the buttons.

I've got to not go back to the old boards any more. It's too depressing.

I don't know... There's no choice in the matter, so I need to suck it up, but ... I want to go home.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:32am

Post #36 of 60 (674 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's a good point - [In reply to] Can't Post

The timer's gone. This is a good thing.

Oh, another thing I'm not fond of (to counter it ) - not being forced to write your own subject line. If you forget you just get the stupid "re" tag, which is annoying and I hate it.

Post markups... what on earth is the little green one that looks like a green cat with a top hat on askew? (Yes, I probably do need a new eyeglass presecription.)

As for pressure... I'm horribly afraid that I'm going to be watching the number of views on my posts. I thought I would be glad of that feature, but now I'm not so sure...

Oh, I don't know.

And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

RosieLass
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 4:33am

Post #37 of 60 (709 views)
Shortcut
I do not miss modding at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

It had become a popularity contest, and I think it caused more bad feelings than it helped identify actual trolls.

Sometimes boards like this have a feature where you can report a specific post to the moderators as a troll. I didn't notice if these messages had that or not. It might be a feature they could activate.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Gorgeous avatar by Aravanye!

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:37am

Post #38 of 60 (702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Magpie] in the middle... [In reply to] Can't Post

And just for the record... I know do know the difference between Aerlinn and Aerin!

Smile

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:40am

Post #39 of 60 (710 views)
Shortcut
Holy mackerel, when did I fix my footer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I must have been more tired than I thought yesterday.

That's very strange. Did the html fairies come in and make it a table -?

*gives up and goes to bed*

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 4:43am

Post #40 of 60 (708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerlinn] I loooove your footer, BTW! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I do know the answers to all those questionsSmile Well, except maybe the one about Aragorn. Is it Elros?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 4:48am

Post #41 of 60 (703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a.s.] I've been experimenting with this kind of subject line. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an idea I got from other folks here. I keep the Re: and the person's name, but then add my own subject line. That way someone viewing in flat mode can at least see who my reply is directed to, if not which post exactly. We'll see if I like it or not. I'm an old fogey too about stuff like this, and it's taking some getting used to.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 5:43am

Post #42 of 60 (668 views)
Shortcut
The thing I like most [In reply to] Can't Post

has got to be the ability to edit. I wish you could edit for longer than 10 minutes, but I guess that is a reasonable time frame for you to say "oops, I screwed up" and fix it. I'll bet that happens for most of us immediately after we hit the post button.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 6:15am

Post #43 of 60 (711 views)
Shortcut
Two words: Threaded mode! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I'm not about to quote every message I respond to, or identify to whom I'm responding--that's exactly what I hate most about other forums (that don't provide a threaded view). If others want to use flat mode, that's their problem! But if you want to have conversations, switch to threaded mode (expanded, so you can see all the response headings). That will at least approximate the traditional TORn experience.

That's great new about BSG's renewal! I hadn't heard that yet!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 6:20am

Post #44 of 60 (646 views)
Shortcut
Apparently, these boards do [In reply to] Can't Post

allow NT messages, as I've seen some that weren't identified as such. I also saw someone use [NT], so I've adopted that as my own no-text label. The slash might work if everyone knew what it was, but for me, the meaning of [NT] was immediately obvious.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 6:23am

Post #45 of 60 (637 views)
Shortcut
It's a deal! [In reply to] Can't Post

But here's a compromise: keep the old-fashioned smilies alive! ;-)

Sherry
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 6:45am

Post #46 of 60 (773 views)
Shortcut
The admins [In reply to] Can't Post

have suggested to report trollish posts etc you drop them a PM (or email). I'd throw in the link to the post you are reporting.

I'd just check the 'Whose Online' list and see if any of them are about and if so, send them a PM. If not, resort to sending a PM to whomever you feel its best.

''Pooh!'' he whispered.
''Yes, Piglet?''
''Nothing,'' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. ''I just wanted to be sure of you.''

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 19 2007, 6:52am

Post #47 of 60 (664 views)
Shortcut
If an Admin isn't online [In reply to] Can't Post

send a PM anyway. My defaults are set to send me an email when I get a PM. Since I can see the subject line of the PM, I usually know whether it's urgent. That's very useful when I'm at work and can be logged into Gmail all the time, but not necessarily into TORn. Blush

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

hatster
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 12:13pm

Post #48 of 60 (650 views)
Shortcut
well look at you! your footer is working! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, the old boards are sorta sad looking right now. And I know how frustrating it is when old habits hit the new boards. But give it a week or two and you'll get used to it. I can imagine us a year from now looking back, hardly able to believe that this didn't seem normal

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 12:59pm

Post #49 of 60 (656 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably change this, but [In reply to] Can't Post

for now I have my preferences set so that I see only the post I've clicked on, and the rest of the thread in threaded mode. This makes it look almost exactly like the old boards. If I get in a hurry I can switch to flat mode, which is rather like the old 'collate replies'. I may get braver in the future, but for now it's comforting to have things looking kind of familiar.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 1:39pm

Post #50 of 60 (632 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a miracle. (<- Shakespeare in Love ref) I've always loathed first weeks with a pathological dread. School, work, anything. I made chocolate cookies last night - that should help. *Sets out plate*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.