First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: 2008 USA Presidential Election
Bob Barr (Libertarian)
John McCain (Republican)
Ralph Nader (Independent)
Barack Obama (Democratic)
Someone Else
Eligible, but not voting
US citizen but ineligible to vote (age, etc.)
Not a US citizen
View Results (79 votes)

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 30 2008, 4:23pm

Post #51 of 84 (1149 views)
Shortcut
That disturbed me as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I should amend that I'm not completely anti-gun per se. There is a time and place for hunting, as I have lived in areas where deer are so numerous that they can and do starve. I just don't think we need ready access to automatic weapons. JMHO.

We were at a very small local pumpkin patch a couple of weeks ago and left just a few minutes before Palin and her daughter showed up as a surprise. I was thankful to avoid the Secret Service headache, but even more so to avoid my elfling catching sight of her and shouting something to the effect of "it's not nice to shoot things."

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 4:32pm

Post #52 of 84 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Hah! That reminds me of the time... [In reply to] Can't Post

when my young son and I were at the grocery, and we encountered a gal at checkout who had shaved off her eyebrows and had drawn a very unbecoming line in place there. He asked her why she had done that to her face, and I wanted to melt away into the floor. She took it well, though.

acheron
Gondor

Oct 30 2008, 5:21pm

Post #53 of 84 (1108 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Barr is a better candidate than Badnarik, who ran in 2004. Not that that's saying much.

(And I voted for Badnarik anyway.)

acheron
Gondor

Oct 30 2008, 5:22pm

Post #54 of 84 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Doonesbury [In reply to] Can't Post

I always think of the old Doonesbury comics, where Mike was going around campaigning for John Anderson. "He's never heard of you, either."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 5:49pm

Post #55 of 84 (1133 views)
Shortcut
I was startled recently [In reply to] Can't Post

as I was reading a very old Doonesbury book, ca. 1970, one with the old Yale cartoons. He was spoofing someone named John Kerry. I remember reading those cartoons back in the 70s and having no idea who John Kerry was, and forgetting about them. It was funny, and kind of sad, to look back and see what looked to me like a lot of truth in those cartoons (Kerry calling himself "You gorgeous preppy.")

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 5:57pm

Post #56 of 84 (1172 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if this will work (warning, link has bleeped out language) [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was really funny. I received one in the mail.

http://www.cnnbcvideo.com/taf.html?nid=CEl0b0fnRDXtOH79.bUU6jY2NzMwODM-

Eowyn Wannabe
The Shire

Oct 30 2008, 7:06pm

Post #57 of 84 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Really?!!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally cool. I'm gonna have to look that up in my copy of the book when I get home tonight. Thanks for that!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 8:33pm

Post #58 of 84 (1076 views)
Shortcut
It works if I click on the button at the top [In reply to] Can't Post

that says "back to your video".

That's a pretty powerful message on the importance of voting! I've been haranguing my students to vote, without mentioning my own political preferences, which I tell them would be inappropriate.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2008, 10:30pm

Post #59 of 84 (1143 views)
Shortcut
I'm voting for [In reply to] Can't Post

the lesser evil.

Cool

I'll be happy when this election is over.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 30 2008, 11:59pm

Post #60 of 84 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Why settle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cthulhu 2008

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 31 2008, 3:59am

Post #61 of 84 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Is Cthulhu running again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a bumper sticker like that four years ago and thought it was delightful.

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 31 2008, 4:20am

Post #62 of 84 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Please take care [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep this thread a simple statement of who you plan to vote for and steer clear of character judgements or starting the finger pointing game.

Also, in the future, please limit political threads to the Off-topic board where they are specifically allowed. Since the elections are so close, this one is okay as long as it doesn't get too alienating towards any POVs that may be represented here.

Unfortunately, due to the one post per topic on page one at a time rule, I did delete the poll on how non-americans would vote. Non-Americans are welcome to continue voting in this thread. Smile

Thanks

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 31 2008, 4:42am)

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 31 2008, 11:58pm

Post #63 of 84 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Voting for Obama [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel so unpatriotic not having voted yet, but it was only recently that Gov. Crist extended the voting hours here in Florida. I intend to go tomorrow.

I like Senator Obama, he gives me a feeling of trust and hope. His 30 minute informercial made me cry like a baby, perhaps that was the intention. If so...it worked for me. I was a bit undecided until the third debate. That cinched it for me.

Of course, the fact that he read the Harry Potter series with his daughter doesn't hurt. Evil WinkHeart

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2008, 1:11am

Post #64 of 84 (1041 views)
Shortcut
but his name isn't in the tags :-( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivendweller
Lorien

Nov 1 2008, 2:33am

Post #65 of 84 (1047 views)
Shortcut
A link [In reply to] Can't Post

From The Economist , Britians Conservative Weekly

http://www.economist.com/...ce=features_box_main

Rivendweller
Lorien

Nov 1 2008, 2:46am

Post #66 of 84 (1038 views)
Shortcut
My sister sent me this [In reply to] Can't Post

I, in turn, sent it to my sons ( although one of them has already voted for Obama ). I just received a thank-you from CNNBC e-mail for spreading the word on the importance of voting.

It is quite funny though ! I'm glad you shared it !

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 1 2008, 6:21am

Post #67 of 84 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Would it be possible [In reply to] Can't Post

to move the posts from the deleted thread to this one? There was one post in particular that was well written and full of wisdom... I think it was by Elizabeth or Magpie. I actually wanted to quote them on another board.

Patty
Immortal

Nov 1 2008, 2:49pm

Post #68 of 84 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting article, Rivendweller. Thanks for the link, especially... [In reply to] Can't Post

as it contained the "global electoral college" map that exactly answers my question.

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 1 2008, 11:11pm

Post #69 of 84 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Write-in vote for: [In reply to] Can't Post

The BilboNader

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2008, 3:30am

Post #70 of 84 (987 views)
Shortcut
My dad always tells this story... [In reply to] Can't Post

although I don't remember ever doing this. Apparently, when I was very small, maybe four or five, I was at the library with my mother, and we were in line to check out a few books. Right ahead of us was a man who was missing a leg, on a crutch. I kept on staring at the man, and Mom was getting kind of antsy, really worrying that I was going to say something I shouldn't. I apparently went up to the man before Mom could stop me and asked him why he didn't have any hair on his head. The man was very nice about it (after kind of chuckling, he said that's sometimes what happens when people get old), and ended up engaged in conversation with Mom for the rest of the wait in line (he had some grandkids or something).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 2 2008, 1:31pm

Post #71 of 84 (1019 views)
Shortcut
O'Bama - the song! [In reply to] Can't Post

So my hubby's reading through his latest Ancestry magazine, and comes across the link to a video of "There's no one as Irish as Barack O'Bama"! I looked it up, then found an "updated" version on YouTube...and here it is, for your singing enjoyment! Everybody on the chorus, now...

As Irish as O'Bama

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 2 2008, 5:17pm

Post #72 of 84 (982 views)
Shortcut
Threads can't be merged [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor can individual posts be moved from one thread to another.

Mar
Gondor

Nov 2 2008, 10:58pm

Post #73 of 84 (933 views)
Shortcut
"Another mama for Obama" ; ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 4 2008, 12:51am

Post #74 of 84 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Well, if the 6th graders at my kid's school have anything to say about it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Obama 400 McCain 48. And this is in a very rural area of the US.

I'm used to having movie characters inspire me about things like hope and rising up to do the right thing. Jackson's LOTR for example. Smile But it's kind of eerie/exceptional to actually have an example of that presented to you in real life as I have felt in this election.

The US election to me seems like a classic Warrior/Villager kind of thing, if I can put it in those terms. Both are leadership styles that are admirable and necessary and the trick is to get the right one at the right time. McCain honestly feels there's a real threat and wants to protect his nation. Obama wants to bring everyone together and wants to make his nation a better place. In the end, it will depend on which quality, I think, is seen as more critical right now by the most people.

People who fall in either category have a pretty hard time not thinking the other side would be dangerous to have in charge. I'm a classic Villager and so Obama gets my vote, and I believe that kind of leadership is the right one for this time. But I know that those voting for McCain feel just as strongly about their point of view.

Bladorthin
The Shire

Nov 4 2008, 1:16am

Post #75 of 84 (968 views)
Shortcut
The Voice of Saruman [In reply to] Can't Post

Obama, and his dear brother Saruman.

I'm voting for Truth. As outlined by God. I don't support McCain. He just happens to support Truth, as do I. Our acceptance of Truth just happens to coincide.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 5 2008, 11:16am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.