First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: 2008 USA Presidential Election
Bob Barr (Libertarian)
John McCain (Republican)
Ralph Nader (Independent)
Barack Obama (Democratic)
Someone Else
Eligible, but not voting
US citizen but ineligible to vote (age, etc.)
Not a US citizen
View Results (79 votes)

Ciars
Rohan

Oct 28 2008, 4:33pm

Post #26 of 84 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Irish connections [In reply to] Can't Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/..._ireland/7546326.stm

I remembered this being on our local news during the summer.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 28 2008, 4:52pm

Post #27 of 84 (1237 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if he also related to these guys? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ciars
Rohan

Oct 28 2008, 8:19pm

Post #28 of 84 (1230 views)
Shortcut
more likely these!! mmmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Hand Held Pies Bama has been producing turnovers for over 40 years! Choose from mouth-watering cherry, apple, or peach fillings, to name a few. Then, we surround them with our delicious crust - ready to fry and serve piping hot to your customer.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 28 2008, 8:29pm

Post #29 of 84 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

And here McCain said Obama couldn't grow a bigger pie!!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 28 2008, 9:41pm

Post #30 of 84 (1300 views)
Shortcut
In one of the debates, someone accidentally said "O'Biden." I LOL'd. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2008, 6:20pm

Post #31 of 84 (1262 views)
Shortcut
'Tis that Irish lad ye'll be voting for, then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Young Barry O'Bama, from Chicago?

My neighbor has a green O'Bama window sign with the logo of a shamrock -- souvenir of a St. Patrick's Day rally.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2008, 6:39pm

Post #32 of 84 (1247 views)
Shortcut
You should all know me well enough by now ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to predict who'll get my vote. It's Obama. I think he has the potential to become a transformative leader. And he appeals to our better angels instead of pandering to the worst in us.

I've been struck by how the candidates have all been channeling parts of Teddy Roosevelt. McCain's channeling the Rough Rider who charged up San Juan Hill and sent the Great White Fleet around the world as an in-your-face demo of American naval power. Obama's channeling the progressive who regulated industry, food and drugs and fought against trusts. Biden's channeling the negotiator as well as the grieving father. Palin's channeling the great white hunter.

OK, it's superficial and a bit strained, but it probably made you chuckle. Tongue

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 29 2008, 9:37pm

Post #33 of 84 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing that sign :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 29 2008, 10:35pm

Post #34 of 84 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Cute :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

So it takes four candidates to make one TR?

You might enjoy the photo I found of a mountain that's been familiar to me all my life: Teddy's Teeth, in Estes park:

Teddy's Teeth

They look more like that famous smile from a different angle, but you get the idea.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 2:08am

Post #35 of 84 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Sure and I be after voting for Mr. O'bama meself! [In reply to] Can't Post

on this past Tuesday, so it was.

What I'd really like to know is which one non-Americans want to win. I want to know what the rest of the world thinks, not just us.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 30 2008, 2:11am

Post #36 of 84 (1223 views)
Shortcut
*whispers to Patty* [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of us in West Oz are hoping for Obama
Wink

acheron
Gondor

Oct 30 2008, 2:25am

Post #37 of 84 (1204 views)
Shortcut
I think I've decided for myself finally [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think it's going to be Bob Barr. Maybe someday I will be able to vote for a major party candidate for president, but it's 0/3 so far.

Up until a few weeks ago I really was going to vote McCain, but I've finally given up on him.

I think I'm going for the Democratic candidate for senator from my state (On a national level, I don't really want the Democrats to get another seat in the Senate, but on a state level, he's really just a much better candidate) and the Republican representative, so it'll be a nice mix of parties on my ballot. :P

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 2:47am

Post #38 of 84 (1241 views)
Shortcut
That's good to know, Kel... [In reply to] Can't Post

go Aussies!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2008, 3:32am

Post #39 of 84 (1256 views)
Shortcut
You could start a new poll for us :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I seem to be hearing more (here in NZ) about your election than about our national election, which will take place four days later. Radio New Zealand has sent one of its senior reporters to Washington for a week to cover yours.

Informal poll at the cafe just now: lots of people around me were talking about the US election, and they all sounded pro-Obama. A lot of Irish people in New Zealand :-)

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 30 2008, 7:58am

Post #40 of 84 (1250 views)
Shortcut
My informal polling also reveals [In reply to] Can't Post

support for Obama. If I had a vote it would be for him without question.

I know how I will be voting in our upcoming election, although our candidates are not generally people you could describe as oozing charisma.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 30 2008, 11:28am

Post #41 of 84 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of which, Orli is in this cool "vote" PSA [In reply to] Can't Post

on YouTube.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 1:10pm

Post #42 of 84 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Right you are, young Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

and top of the morning to ya!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 1:25pm

Post #43 of 84 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Our line was very long, but it moved swiftly. I was glad to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

that folks running the station came out periodically and took the elderly on canes out of line and put them at the front of the line. It was cold and windy, and I worried about them. I wonder, does that mean that many elderly or infirm (both of which have an even more vested interest in whomever they feel will put forth the best economic/healthcare plan) will not be able to vote if they aren't able to stand in lines?

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 30 2008, 1:35pm

Post #44 of 84 (1208 views)
Shortcut
*Slightly embarrassed* I'm still not sure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my dilemma. I'm a fiscal conservative, green, anti-gun, pro-choice, anti-war, small-government kind of person, living in the middle of Pennsylvania. (Got a party out there for me? Anyone?)

I've voted for Republicans, Democrats and 3rd parties in the past.

Can't vote Libertarian this time like I did last time...Barr's a lot too socially conservative for my taste.
Can't vote Green...while it sounds really fantastic to me, the plan to bring every last troop home from around the globe is just not feasible without causing problems.
Scared to vote for McCain because while he agrees with me on some things, and I do think he'd listen to the right people on the wars, he sold his soul to the GOP to secure the nomination and Palin scares the bejeezes out of me.
Thinking about voting for Obama, but really worried about some of the more fiscally liberal plans he has. I'm all for spending more on the important things that have been squeezed out, like education and research (as a scientist married to a scientist, I think it's abhorrent the way the current adminstration has shunted off science as we continue to drop in the world standings in the subject), but there are some things the government just can't fix.

Honestly, I'm leaning Obama, because realistically, Mr. Elwen is a chemistry professor/researcher and I work in science outreach. And our paychecks are affected by how much the government spends on funding research and education. I also think a democratic president would allow some of the Supreme Court justicices to retire withouth the court getting stacked on one side. It's just hard for me to really commit because I am worried about things like government mediated healthcare. Plus the Republican party really needs a wake up call and to see that catering to the far-right base does not win them elections.

*Sigh* Maybe I should just take my 4 year old elfling's advice. She told me we should vote for Obama because the "girl" (Palin) shoots things and doesn't care about polar bears, and if she's helping McCain, he might not help polar bears. (I think the real reason is she likes to say Barack Obama.)

Wow. That was long. Sorry about the ramble.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 3:32pm

Post #45 of 84 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Back in 1980 [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for John Anderson, and then Ronald Reagan won, and that's the last time I've voted for a third-party candidate.

I couldn't help smiling to see that one of the parties represented on our ballot this year was the Boston Tea Party.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 30 2008, 3:40pm

Post #46 of 84 (1142 views)
Shortcut
For the past few elections here [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had communist party candidates on the ballot. But in the last election even they split their vote by running Marxist-Lennenist party candidates and run of the mill communist party candidates. Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 30 2008, 3:40pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 3:49pm

Post #47 of 84 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Barr [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't vote Libertarian this time like I did last time...Barr's a lot too socially conservative for my taste.

Yeah, in the past I've tended to support Libertarian candidates, but they've totally lost me with Barr.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2008, 3:53pm

Post #48 of 84 (1192 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree with your daughter... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a pic of Ms. Palin with her daughter, both kneeling beside a bloody caribou they had just killed. It was deeply disturbing to me, even though I am definitely NOT a vegetarian. I can't logic it out, but it was a disturbing pic.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 30 2008, 4:08pm

Post #49 of 84 (1174 views)
Shortcut
That video is strangely compelling. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish we had had it in time for our recent federal election. Voter turn out was at a record low of around 50%. This means that about 20% of eligible voters decided who our government is (and they didn't even get close to 50% of votes cast).

It's a ridiculous assumption that one's vote doesn't count; every vote not cast is considered to be a vote for the winner.

However in one sense votes do not count. When you look at how seats are awarded in a first past the post system, often the winner of each riding achieves less than half of the votes. In the last election, 36% of votes cast equalled 48% (140ish) of the seats while 29% and 18% of votes cast resulted in 1/4 (77) and 10% (30) of seats respectively. Election after election people see their votes not count because we do not have proportional representation. If seats were awarded based on the percentage each party captured the government would be very different and every vote would truly count.

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 30 2008, 4:15pm

Post #50 of 84 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't help thinking they might have been better served with Ron Paul, but I suppose that's why I'm not a politician.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.