Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Alan Lee Discussion #16 – Closing Credits and Reviews

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2007, 7:51am

Post #1 of 10 (664 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee Discussion #16 – Closing Credits and Reviews Can't Post

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As the credits role by, consider what this weeks parade of image meant to you. You write the reviews.

What is your assessment of Alan Lee's body of work as it relates to Tolkien's literature. What has surprised you in reactions. What did not surprise you? How has your opinion been strengthened or altered? Generally what are your thoughts? Basoically, this is an 'Open Discussion' with pictures included.

Frodo

Sam

Merry

Pippin

Gandalf

Aragorn

Legolas

Gimli

Boromir

(Supporting cast is in sub-post within this thread)

and...there is more to come still.

Alan Lee Discussion week: starts March 25th in the Reading Room
Discussion Ideas, Alan Lee–Introduction, Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory
Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Apr 1 2007, 7:53am)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2007, 7:54am

Post #2 of 10 (602 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee Discussion #16b – Closing Credits Part B: Supporting Cast [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo

Gollum

Galadriel

Faramir

Éowyn

Théoden

Éomer

Arwen

Elrond

Saruman

Grima

Denethor

End Credits - "RotK" - Lisas Video Frame Library
RotK Credit Sketches - LotR Scrapbook

(note: I downloaded these images, opened in PhotoShop, made them more viewable with curves, though not perfectly in my haste, uploaded them to my Photobucket folder...that's part of why it took all day to get this together.)

Discussion Ideas, Alan Lee–Introduction, Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2007, 12:16pm

Post #3 of 10 (562 views)
Shortcut
This in itself (all the portraits) is for me a priceless treasure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually don't come to this Forum (rather the Movie Discussion one) but I happened to do so today, on these New Boards... and was overjoyed to discover this.
Thank you so much for all the time and trouble you took to give us this gift, D of N !... A work of love... Heart
Now I can explore the rest of this Forum at leisure!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2007, 12:39pm

Post #4 of 10 (559 views)
Shortcut
Deja vu! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the exact same experience on the movie board a day or two before the boards changed:

http://www.theonering.net/...5D5E70900064CBF.html

I rarely venture over there...This board keeps me too occupied...responding takes a bit longer, for me, anyway.

Please feel free to browze and currouse (sp?) to your heart's content. I have one more post yet, but I am afraid it will have to wait unitl tomorrow. It is 2:30am here (8:30am east coast, that is if you changed your clocks yet, we don't change them here in Hawaii).

And welcome to RR! Happy to have you here.

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Apr 2 2007, 12:51am

Post #5 of 10 (538 views)
Shortcut
Well I just went through all the books in my home [In reply to] Can't Post

and I finally came across the art of the Lord of the Rings which I thought I had but last week but couldn't find among the hundreds of books in this labyrinth I do call home. Anyway on the back page are the credits which I had never looked at before. I watched these credits, through tears,14 times in the theatre and until today never realized it was Alan's art because I thought they were CGI and too perfect to be drawn. Because of this lack of knowledge I had to research the fact that the credits were Alan's art because for some reason I thought DoN had put them there just for a really cool ending and I kept looking at them thinking that they were not really drawn by hand but were photos maybe put in photoshop with filters or some other affects. Well from what I can see the likenesses are perfect and were always capable of continuing a rather emotional affect when I viewed them after what I thought was a sad and very emotional ending to the movie.
I also noticed in the book above that Alan's and John Howe's styles are similar but until now had not payed much attention to it, and if I am just glancing at some of the art without reading the text then I am not sure who's art it is.
I have learned a lot this week and think DoN would make an excellent Tolkien art professor! Thanks again!

The repetition, the doubling and the long strands of interconnected narrative all mean something. They say that life is a series of cycles, and that we will likely meet the same kinds of archetypal guardians, opponents and allies at various stages along the way. But the nature of the conflicts changes as you age and grow over the span of an epic. Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' in my 20s, I was inspired by its idealism, but also terrified by its vision of middle life and old age as a patient, plodding struggle against the mundane grinding of evil. Seeing the movie meant something else to me from my current perspective, around the corner of age fifty, reminding me that the raw intensity of youthful dreams still has purity and power. At the same time, I felt the death of comrades in the movie keenly, for comrades have started to fall around me, and I looked to the story for the courage to continue the struggle without them.~As the legend says, 'One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.' We were certainly bound in the darkness, me and that afternoon's audience for the first chapter of 'The Lord of the Rings,' fellow travelers on a long journey together, seeking meaning for our shadowed world in the mirror of a myth, just as humans have always done.~Christopher Vogler

Morwen
Rohan

Apr 2 2007, 1:27am

Post #6 of 10 (517 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, DoN [In reply to] Can't Post

For giving us all those pictures to look at. I didn't comment on every thread, because I don't consider myself much of an art critic, but you gave us a lot to look at, and I enjoyed being enlightened by the comments of others.

I'm enjoying the artwork discussion very much, and your week has been one of my favorites.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 2 2007, 4:04am

Post #7 of 10 (536 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much, DoN [In reply to] Can't Post

You did the seemingly impossible: condensed the artwork of Alan Lee into one week of discussion! And, you did a great job, as usual.

*gulp* You're going to be a hard act to follow! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2007, 5:02am

Post #8 of 10 (532 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link to the Old Boards last SCOD, on AL portraits! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had missed that one on the Movie Board, and read it just now thanks to you with great emotion and appreciation - also about the 'Into the West' song that goes along with the portra.its, for me still adding to the deep feelings they convey, each one of them, in turn.
And now here we are, on these New Boards, starting the new RR discussions with what the old Movie Board ended with!... But from a different angle this time.
In the discussion I just read, I liked particularly that quote by you from that film: "Beauty does that to me".
Like Magpie, I could identify with that, perhaps more totally even than she did. I'll have to come back on that when I have more time. Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2007, 5:11am

Post #9 of 10 (521 views)
Shortcut
yes! it makes it [In reply to] Can't Post

all very nice and circular! sweet!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2007, 5:27am

Post #10 of 10 (644 views)
Shortcut
I am sure that [In reply to] Can't Post

you are quite up to it... and without having to be so cumpulsive as me.
I bid you the best of luck and harmony on your discussion...and lots of responses.

I am looking forward to explore Ted Nazmith artwork.

Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.