Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Cast autographs

arwensboytoy

Mar 31 2007, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 19 (540 views)
Shortcut
Cast autographs Can't Post

This is a cool new board. I am actively trying to get the autographs of every cast member of the movies. This is something that I have been working on for years. I buy the cards looking for new autogrpahs. So far I have Phillipa Boyens and Sir Ian.

Now that the massive merchandising wave from the trilogy is over, I think its a little sad. If this is a collecting topic rather than a movie related I will pose more opinions in that direction.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 1 2007, 8:18am

Post #2 of 19 (233 views)
Shortcut
G'day, abt. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice nick, by the way. ;)

Yes, this post is more suited to Gaming and Collecting rather than Movie Discussion, but these discussions boards are still pretty new and we're all find our way around.

Welcome to TORN! And good luck with the autograph collection.

(Philippa Boyens? Seriously? I love that so many of the crew have garnered fame among the fans.) Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2007, 12:10am

Post #3 of 19 (218 views)
Shortcut
Impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to meet either or both of them. I don't collect the trading cards, but i've been getting my 50th anniversary copy of 'LotR' signed by cast and crew whenever the opportunity presents itself. So far i've been lucky enough to get:

Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Dominic Monaghan
Billy Boyd
John Rhys Davies
Andy Serkis
David Wenham
Miranda Otto
John Noble
Sala Baker
Craig Parker
Bruce Hopkins
Kiran Shaw
Alan Lee
RIchard Taylor
Ben Wooton (Weta)
Daniel Falconer (Weta)
Howard Shore

Good luck on your autograph collecting!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

CAhobbit
Rohan

Apr 2 2007, 6:14pm

Post #4 of 19 (205 views)
Shortcut
Good luck [In reply to] Can't Post

in your search! I've been collecting as many as possible since 2003 (many I've been able to get in person and many have been given to me as gifts).

My list so far:

Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Billy Boyd
Dom Monaghan
Viggo Mortenson
Andy Serkis
John Rhyes-Davies (sp?)
Ben Wooten
Richard Taylor
Daniel Reeves
Jude Fisher
Sala Baker
Miranda Otto
David Wenham
John Noble
Bruce Hopkins
And Tolkien's grandson (which I can't recall his name at the moment...eeep)

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 2 2007, 8:06pm

Post #5 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
Royd Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think he's actually a great grandson, isn't he? Simon's son? I think...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

arwensboytoy

Apr 2 2007, 9:27pm

Post #6 of 19 (207 views)
Shortcut
nice collections! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats really cool! I thought I might be the only one. I am quesy at the prospect of mailing these actors and actresses. Alas, I have not been to any cons yet. So, mail in autographs or the cards are my only options. Or thru their websites.

I hear that 80% of ebay autos are fake.

Any pointers would be great

HeathTongue

In Reply To
in your search! I've been collecting as many as possible since 2003 (many I've been able to get in person and many have been given to me as gifts).

My list so far:

Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Billy Boyd
Dom Monaghan
Viggo Mortenson
Andy Serkis
John Rhyes-Davies (sp?)
Ben Wooten
Richard Taylor
Daniel Reeves
Jude Fisher
Sala Baker
Miranda Otto
David Wenham
John Noble
Bruce Hopkins
And Tolkien's grandson (which I can't recall his name at the moment...eeep)

CAhobbit
Rohan

Apr 2 2007, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 19 (206 views)
Shortcut
That's right! [In reply to] Can't Post

and yes he's a great grandson. Or as Nerdanel likes to call him...professional great grandson. Wink

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

CAhobbit
Rohan

Apr 2 2007, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 19 (213 views)
Shortcut
Stay away from ebay [In reply to] Can't Post

as you've heard many on there are forged. Writing to the actors and actresses is a great idea. There was a former poster (I'm not sure if they signed up for the new boards) who did just that and was able to acquire many autographs (many from some of the bit players in the films along with more bigger players in the films).

Creation sells autographs from the cons they put on (2 Elfs and 3 ORCs) and though you'll pay a pretty penny for theirs you can at least know that they are authentic (at least the ones from guests that were at their conventions)...

Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Miranda Otto
Dom Monaghan
David Wenham
Andy Serkis
John Rhyes-Davies
John Noble
Bruce Hopkins
Billy Boyd

You can try to seek out well established sellers of TV and movie merchandise and see what they may have (but even then that can be hit or miss). Topps released autograph cards in packs of certain movie trading cards over the years. Some sell for a pretty penny nowadays but those are out there and can be bought.

Good luck! I think the best route is to write letters. Usually enclosing what you want autographed (nothing too big) with a self addressed stamped envelope is a good idea as well.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2007, 10:21pm

Post #9 of 19 (222 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that Howard Shore is accomodating with autographs [In reply to] Can't Post

if you can catch him at a concert. There's a report I posted about the Lucerne concert that talks a little about one person's experience with him. Check my post history to find it. A friend of mine got an autograph from him in Florida years ago and sent it to me.

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

SandWitch King
Rohan

Apr 3 2007, 12:10am

Post #10 of 19 (185 views)
Shortcut
hahhaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a great fella to talk to and all the ladies around assured me he was quite handsome.

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

arwensboytoy

Apr 3 2007, 12:59am

Post #11 of 19 (229 views)
Shortcut
The cast members that I have written... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote to Andy Serkis, Viggo and Sean Astin but never received a reply. I wrote to Liv Tyler via a movie set that she was on but it came back to me. Never received word back from Peter Jackson. I am writing a few letters to WETA people. Folks like Mary macLachlan who sculpted the Arganoth statues. And sending some cards to folks like Ben Wootten and maybe Richard Taylor. Because I am trying to put together a small fun horror film. Richards expertise in the effects world is something I am in awe of.

But really all of the people involved with this movie are special. I really want to attend some LOTR events and get to know fellow Ringers. My dream the last 2 years has been to have a viewing of all three movies locally with friends. (the Jackson area of Michigan USA.) I only know a few LOTR fans and I am by far the most involved.

Its like when I was after Alan Lee's autograph, the publisher couldn't forward my letter to him, but sent me the hardcover set illustrated by him. I was blown away by their generosity. I had been involved in comic books and its fandom for around 20 years. In that time, I never experianced the love, the passion that I feel towards these books and movies. Its truly given me inspiration. especially on trying days like the last few.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 3 2007, 6:27pm

Post #12 of 19 (179 views)
Shortcut
oh yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

He is indeed handsome! But I'm also vastly amused by Nerdanel's 'professional grandson' definition! It's so true! Fancy getting to be a bit of a celeb JUST because of who your great grandfather was! But yep, he always seems like a really nice guy and he's fun to talk to and very easy on the eye, so I'm not complaining at all! And it's nice that some of the Tolkien family embraced the movies...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 4 2007, 12:38am

Post #13 of 19 (211 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah... you've come to the right place :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm SO GLAD you found your way here! This is a very awesome Board :)

I'd LOVE to get an autograph of each of the cast and crew members from the films, but I'm having great fun in gathering the ones I do have. Some of the are gifts from very generous and thoughtful sibbies :)

I have many autographs from TORnsibs & Founders I've met through the years in my SignLanguage book by Viggo Mortensen. The cover is signed by Billy Boyd, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Dom Monaghan. I hope to have Dom sign my Hobbit book cover some day.

Elijah Wood signed my Fellowship of the Ring cover.

Sean Astin signed my Return of the King cover and he sent me a note on one of his photographs.

Billy Boyd signed my Two Towers cover.

Miranda Otto

John Rhys-Davies & Charles Ross (One Man Star Wars & LotR Show)

John Noble

Bruce Hopkins

Daniel Reeve (Callligrapher)

Jamie Selkirk (RotK film editor)

Richard Taylor (Weta)

Quickbeam and Producers of Ringers: Lord of the Fans

Royd Tolkien (signed my 50th anniversary edition of The Hobbit)

Ted Nasmith

Alan Lee

Tim Kirk (Tolkien artist)

Colleen Doran (Tolkien artist)

Howard Shore

Peter Jackson (didn't meet him, but I'm available if he ever want to have a chat ;)

Peter S. Beagle (author)

Lynette Porter (author)

Ari Berk (author)

Anne C. Petty (author)

Paul Badali (Jeweler)

Douglas Anderson (author Annotated Hobbit)

Ian Brodie (LotR Location Guidebook)

Tom Shippey (LotR author/scholar)

Combined CD sleeve for World Without Sundays (friends of the Hobbits and performed at Oscars Party & ORC)

I've seen:

Daniel Falconer
Tania Rodger (Weta)
Peter Tait (Shagrat & handsome orc)
Sandro Kopp (Elf, Man)
Jarl Benzon (Elf, Man)
Jørn Benzon (Rúmil, Brother of Haldir)
Craig Parker
Mark Ferguson (Gil-galad)
Ben Wooten
Sala Baker
Lawrence Makoare
Jed Brophy (Warg rider)
Fran Walsh
Philippa Boyens
Oh cripes… all the cast and crew at the Oscars except Sir Ian McKellen

James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Kenny Baker (R2D2)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

arwensboytoy

Apr 4 2007, 12:24pm

Post #14 of 19 (244 views)
Shortcut
::sigh::...Viggo's autograph..one of my heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

Pirate
Yeah I sent him a dorky letter last year. No reply. Though I hear that he doesn't sign through the mail. Sooooo.. I am looking for unopened Return of the King cards in hopes of getting his autograph.

I suppose I should fish or hunt or something. But the LOTR is just too addictive.

I have often thought about some end to my collection.

hmmmmmm.

dayhiker

Apr 5 2007, 7:01pm

Post #15 of 19 (177 views)
Shortcut
autograph cards [In reply to] Can't Post

hi! i'm new to these boards but LOVE Lord of the Rings. I've only met a couple of the actors/actresses but have most of their autographs on collectors cards made by TOPPS. they are 2.5x3.5 inches in size and authentic. not as fun as meeting the artists but definitely fun to collect!

now that the craze has gone down the prices have decreased too!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 5 2007, 7:27pm

Post #16 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! Love your nickname. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dayhiker" is sometimes a term of affectionate abuse on the Appalachian Trail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 2-8: Ted Nasmith.

dayhiker

Apr 5 2007, 7:43pm

Post #17 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Dayhiker" is sometimes a term of affectionate abuse on the Appalachian Trail.

haha!! and thanks for the welcome!
it also denotes what i want to do but cant/dont do frequently enough...Wink

PRoy33

Apr 24 2007, 12:35pm

Post #18 of 19 (153 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's TTM [In reply to] Can't Post

I got Gimli's autograph trought the mail this past winter, on a topps card.

You can see the addy I used and the picture of the signature at this URL ...

http://www.lordoftheringsguide.com/...owthread.php?t=18848

lonelymountainhermit
Bree

Apr 29 2007, 12:05am

Post #19 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
Not really into autographs [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I did meet Brad Douriff at a Sci-fi convention and had him sign the Wormtongue action-figure.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.