Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Children of Hurin Paperback Release Party - Come and chat with Alan Lee!

Beren
Bree

Sep 28 2008, 9:21pm

Post #1 of 22 (1114 views)
Shortcut
The Children of Hurin Paperback Release Party - Come and chat with Alan Lee! Can't Post

I was contacted this weekend by Houghton Mifflin to do a chat session with Alan Lee on October 14, 2008.
It would be part of the celebration for the release of the Children of Hurin Paperback in the US.

Alan will be in the US to do a promotional tour, and will come and chat with the Tolkien fans on the 14th.

Of course I gladly accepted to organise a chat session with Alan Lee. I wanted to make it somehow special and asked Alan if he would be able to make some sketches in the paperbacks and sign some to give them away. So I will have some nice books to give away as well.

All info on the Children of Hurin Paperback Release Party can be found here.

Hope to meet you there!

It would be great if you suggest some questions as well... For sure Alan knows stuff on the Hobbit movies that
will be of interest to all Tolkien fans! Please post your questions for Alan Lee here.

'It is fulfilled. Even now a Silmaril is in my hand.' - tolkienlibrary.com

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2008, 9:58pm

Post #2 of 22 (722 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Beren [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe I speak for everyone here when I say the one question we would like to be answered is if he has already begun work for The Hobbit, and if not, when he will be beginning.

I have a couple extra questions as well (I'll write them as directed to him):

You were personally asked by Christopher Tolkien to illustrate Children of Húrin, and you are also a key part of the design team for both the Lord of the Rings and the upcoming Hobbit movies. How do you manage to live in both the movie and book worlds without it affecting either relationship, as we know CT is not keen about adaptations of his father's works?

How has your work in the Jackson trilogy affected your most recent book illustrations? Did the approach change? Do you see Middle Earth differently?

Thanks again, Beren

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Beren
Bree

Sep 28 2008, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 22 (652 views)
Shortcut
good questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks so much... these are great questions. I wanted to ask those as well last time I interviewed Alan Lee. I asked it in a bit different way, a more subtle approach.. I asked what is the difference to work for the Tolkien family and Peter Jackson. Alan Lee laughed and gave me a brilliant answer:

… well, the big difference is that working on a film your are helping to enable the film director to make the film he wants to make and that is the whole point of being there; to make it easier for him to bring his vision into being.
The fact that John Howe and I were there was because he liked our artwork and thought it was close to how he wanted to make the movies look like. But it is not really about a self-kind of fulfilling role for me as to being able to do what I want to do. It is all about enabling the film director to get his vision onto the screen. It is doing a lot of sketches and getting his feed back and making adaptations and then more details and at a certain point he would say ‘that is looking great’ and you could just carry on and do all the details without showing him everything. Particularly in the early stages we were having meetings with him every day to show the work that we had done and to get his feedback. So it is a very close collaboration when you are working on a film project. And you are also working with hundreds of other people. Every day there would be a cue of people at my door asking for detailed sketches. It was very busy for very long period.

Maybe your 'more direct' question will give a better answer. Let us see at the Children of Hurin Paperback Release Chat! Thanks for the questions!

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 28 2008, 11:05pm

Post #4 of 22 (699 views)
Shortcut
wow, great opportunity! [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt I'll be able to be "there" (I mean, online) at that time, since I'll be at work, but I'm hoping we'll be able to read the log of the discussion after it's done?

I can't think of any great questions, I really liked Compa's questions though!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Call Her Emily

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 29 2008, 12:13am

Post #5 of 22 (641 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* That's Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so much fun to have things starting to happen now! *shiver* COOL!

I wish I could come up with some brilliant and meaningful questions, but I can't think straight right now. I'll be back!!!!!\

THANK YOU!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 29 2008, 1:29am

Post #6 of 22 (657 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! My question is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure he has been asked this many times, but I would like to know what is his favorite character/location in Middle-earth to illustrate? Thanks Beren!
~~~~~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

Believe in the possibility of the impossible.

~~~~~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

Believe in the possibility of the impossible.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 29 2008, 2:14am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2008, 1:38am

Post #7 of 22 (637 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the comments and Lee's answer [In reply to] Can't Post

It was interesting to see how he sees the conceptualization as a means for letting the director fulfill his vision.

Anyway, I just thought of another question (which might be too specific) but anyway... this picture surfaced on the web a few weeks before the release of Children of Húrin (apparently as the Dutch cover):

It looks great! What happened to it? Why wasn't it published with the book? Is there any more art that was completed for Children of Hurin but that was ultimately discarded for the final version?

Thanks again!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Elven
Valinor

Sep 29 2008, 4:32am

Post #8 of 22 (620 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic News Beren! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just awesome! I'd love to attend - but a little too far away Frown
I'm sure it will be a great event, and you'll have some great questions for him - Compa's on a roll Smile - they're good ones!

I guess its not a big question, but Im wondering if any of the sketch work used in LOTR will be used as reference, or does Allen start from scratch when revisiting Middle Earth for the Hobbit? and ... will he be doing any tours in NZ or Auatralia over the next few years Wink

Cant wait to read about the event!
Cheers beren
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Beren
Bree

Sep 29 2008, 7:10am

Post #9 of 22 (648 views)
Shortcut
the event is on line in a chat box... so all are welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the great questions! Just to make sure... it is an online event... and so anyone, anywhere can join in! I'll have written down all the questions and will for sure make a transcript of the event and publish it for all who are unable to attend.

Keep the questions coming! They are great...

Elven
Valinor

Sep 29 2008, 8:43am

Post #10 of 22 (621 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou beren [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats great news.
Maybe you can post a few International times for when its on?
It might be middle of the night stuff for some tornsibs?
Just a thought Smile

I also would like to know from Allan if there is one character or demographic that he has ever had trouble concieving from any of Tolkiens work? Is or has there been one 'entity' that keeps evolving or changing for him creatively?

Thanks beren
Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Beren
Bree

Sep 29 2008, 8:54am

Post #11 of 22 (631 views)
Shortcut
time table [In reply to] Can't Post

While all info can be found at www.tolkienlibrary.com and there is a time shedule there, I'll post it here:

In the US the event is during the day, because Alan Lee will be doing a signing event in the evening. This is good, since it will be late evening in Europe and so all people can join in.

The event will take place on October 14, 2008.
Here is the timeline of events (translated into multiple time-zones):

Glossary:

UTC = Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones. Same time as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time. Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.
EDT = Eastern Daylight Time - EDT is 4 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
EST = Eastern Standard Time - EST is 5 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
CEST = Central European Summer Time = UTC + 2 hours.

leo
Rohan

Sep 29 2008, 9:43am

Post #12 of 22 (635 views)
Shortcut
I am trying to mark my calendar, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

all those timezones are confusing me ;-) I guess the Alan Lee-part of the event starts at 20:00 hours GMT? So that should be nine o'clock for me... That might be doable!

Beren
Bree

Sep 29 2008, 9:51am

Post #13 of 22 (634 views)
Shortcut
timezone convertor [In reply to] Can't Post

timezones are always confusing. There for you best use the first time (UTC or GMT) and convert it to wherever you living using the following handy tool:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

The chat session indeed starts at 20:00 GMT (evening in Europe), which is just after midday in the US.

Salty Coqui
Rivendell

Sep 29 2008, 5:16pm

Post #14 of 22 (612 views)
Shortcut
Oh, now I know why I got a hardcover illustrated copy for 8 us dollars. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren
Bree

Oct 3 2008, 11:11am

Post #15 of 22 (595 views)
Shortcut
Any oher questions? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have compiled a good good list of questions so far, but more are more then welcome...

willowgreylock
Lorien

Oct 4 2008, 8:06pm

Post #16 of 22 (550 views)
Shortcut
? for Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

what a great opportunity, thank you! i 've been a big fan of Alan Lee for many, many
years, and have always prided myself on being able to spot his work anywhere. so
this is so exciting!!

i would be curious to know, if GDT, or PJ, have coordinated an estimated date that
Mr. Lee might be heading to NZ, to start work on, 'The Hobbit'? and also, i learned
from watching the appendices of the ROTK, that Mr. Lee loved his work and his time
in NZ so much, that he hated to leave, and was sad that it was all over,(as we all did i'm
sure). so how excited is he to be returning? will his daughter (a great talent as well) be
going? and he had 'hinted' back then (to my great excitment) about a 'hobbit movie. so
has he been mulling ideas, or sketches around over the years? or is that something that has
to wait untill he hears the directors vision?

i know the topic is, 'The Children of Hurin', so i hope these querries aren't to inappropriate.

Tolkien is very descriptive in his writing, is the story his total inspiration for his drawings?

Elven, i love your questions. i'm curious to know the answers to them as well.

looking forward to the 14th! Sly

Beren
Bree

Oct 10 2008, 4:07pm

Post #17 of 22 (530 views)
Shortcut
The chat event will go through despite the promotional tour being cancelled. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a quick note that I received notice from Houghton Mifflin and Mr. Alan Lee that the chat event will NOT be cancelled. Might be a shift in hours, but the event will happen!

willowgreylock
Lorien

Oct 12 2008, 6:39pm

Post #18 of 22 (514 views)
Shortcut
chat not cancelled! [In reply to] Can't Post

GREAT NEWS! Beren. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to
it with great anticipation.

Sly

Beren
Bree

Oct 12 2008, 6:46pm

Post #19 of 22 (509 views)
Shortcut
hours are later for Europe but better for US [In reply to] Can't Post

So hours have indeed shifted, but I believe they are better now. For Europe it will be late night for US it will be around 4 PM, so I believe more people will be able to join in! Check the latest and updated info here:
http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...ck_Release_Event.php

willowgreylock
Lorien

Oct 12 2008, 7:37pm

Post #20 of 22 (507 views)
Shortcut
chat times [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks Beren.

went to the site, they have a nice clear cut chart with all the times in
each time zone that the chat is going to be held, so no one should have
any trouble finding out when to be ready.

for me, KY USA - EST 4:30

i did note that they use JAVA, so i'm going to have to go download that now, so as
to be prepared. perhaps some you might have to do that as well. - java.com

that's a great site, i signed up for the newsletter, and saw numerous books i need to
order. Wink

thanks again for the info. Beren!

Beren
Bree

Oct 12 2008, 7:48pm

Post #21 of 22 (511 views)
Shortcut
thumbs up! [In reply to] Can't Post

great and thanks for telling about the java. Working on an apple myself I need not to install anything myself. Hope to see you all there!

Beren
Bree

Oct 16 2008, 8:35pm

Post #22 of 22 (541 views)
Shortcut
Transcript of the interview with Alan Lee now available [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw some familiar names during the event Smile
It was great!

The transcript of the interview with Alan Lee is available here.

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...n_Lee_transcript.php

As you can see I tried to ask as many questions as possible and I believe some of the ones that where asked here did make it. So here are all the answers!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.