Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Transcription ~ 12th October ~ Session 11 ~ tORN Radio Segment.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 12 2008, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 20 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Transcription ~ 12th October ~ Session 11 ~ tORN Radio Segment. Can't Post

Hi tornsibs Smile

Thanks to Sohaib for yet another great show, and to our own MrCere (Larry Curtis) for bringing us the tORN news roundup of the past couple of weeks.
Lots of Interesting items this segment!
Excuse the quality of this week’s transcript – it’s called rotten dial-up connection – I missed a few words when the dial up ‘cracked up’ Wink...

Happy reading!
Cheers
Elven.

You can contact Sohaib if you have any questions or would like to comment on the show.
Fictional Frontiers: www.fictionalfrontiers.com
Email Sohaib: Sohaib@fictionalfrontiers.com
Listen to the show on: WJNC1360 AM Philadelphia: http://www.wnjc1360.com/

Sohaib:
The OneRing.net is visiting us again, Larry welcome back to Fictional Frontiers!

Larry:
Thank you so much, it’s always a pleasure.

Sohaib:
So obviously some things have happened since we had our last segment and sure you and a lot of our visitors to the site ...

Larry:
[Speaking about Guillermo del Toro] It’s been quite busy, but a few things are starting to come out now, he’s started to talk a little bit more in the press ... he’s very involved, the script writing is well under way apparently, he (as well as) Peter Jackson, and Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens have all apparently hit some kind of magic working relationship together, so things are going very well.

Sohaib:
Has he given any details about – I know obviously not details about the particular scenes, or the particulars of the project itself – I know you said the vibe is a magical vibe, but what is indicative of that? What is he saying that’s sort of leading to this outflow of his feelings and excitement from his end?

Larry:
Well, you know, the details as you hinted are a little scant – but one of the things that has developed – there was always this question what is the second part of the Hobbit movie going to be about? And he’s revealed a little bit about the structure ... he’s hinted that perhaps the Jackson team was working more on the first film, and he would concentrate more on the second film. But in his detailing of how they’ve exchanged emails and conference calls and sometimes working together in person, in these sessions, they’ve come to think of it more just as a two part film, not the Hobbit film and the ‘other’ film, but just a two part Hobbit film. He says he feels like when you sit down and watch The Hobbit ( you know in a few years when you have it on DVD or whatever) you’ll watch the first Hobbit Movie , you’ll watch the second Movie and you’ll instantly want to go and pull out the Lord of the Rings trilogy ...

Sohaib:
Obviously with the prequels and the Star Wars Universe ... [Larry laughs] there were some positives, there were some negatives, some ups and downs ... there’s quite a few challenges as it covers such a large period of time ... one of the advantages is that I guess the Hobbit obviously ... (sorry, I lost a section of the question here – Larry goes on to answer)

Larry:
The thing now is that Part One and Part Two of The Hobbit Movie is really as they’re referring to it – I really don’t know if that will catch on. It’s very hard for me, and maybe for you, I can’t help but think of it as a Bridge Film, but again, we’re not on the script – they’re just calling it The Hobbit Part One and Part Two – so I guess that’s the correct terminology.
But you mentioned the Star Wars prequels, and I do think these are really different. I mean there is this story to base it from, and then there’s this written – you know Tolkien left a lot of hints and clues, and at the very least, gave a good feeling for what Middle-earth was like. And I know that Lucas had some idea of what his Star Wars Universe was like, but this was pretty different ... Tolkien only wrote Lord of The Rings as a result of this huge back story of there, and then Lord of The Rings kind of happened to be the part that came really popular. But he loved this whole back story and this universe, well I guess it’s our universe, its Middle-Earth, but he loved that as much or as more a Lord of The Rings.
So I think the foundation is laid down, and yeah, I guess there’s some fear any time someone interprets something but, I’m just still at a stage where I’m just rejoicing that we get to return to the theatre – its fun. If it doesn’t work out perfectly for movies, you know that’s OK, I still have books to read.

Sohaib:
Exactly and we still have the original trilogy. What I’d like to ask Guillermo at some point given that he’s working on it now, and the entire team is working on creating a continuous journey’s, if you actually talk 10/15/20 years down the road planning to watch the films – in whatever reincarnation [laughs] – I don’t know if it’s going to be online, because obviously DVD will be long gone by then and ...

Larry:
Well it sounds like in his mind at least that we’d watch the Hobbit movies first and they would lead – I’ll see if I can find the quote before the end of the segments over – he said something about how you’d watch the Hobbit first (this next part I had to fill in - sorry) and then you watch the trilogy after that.
Larry: (continued) ... the Rings trilogy on BluRay, and apparently they’re working on it and as amazing as it is, we’re almost at the ten year anniversary of the release of The Fellowship (Sohaib: “wow’), so I think that timing would work out – of course we all know how studios love to capitalize on free press [Sohaib laughs] – so just as the Hobbit’s really shooting and warming up would be a good time to release the trilogy on BluRay.

Sohaib:
Oh yeah, definitely, definitely!

Larry:
Hopefully, with lots of extras.

Sohaib:
Oh that’s what I’m hoping too.
The other question I have is again - George Lucas obviously went back and tinkered with the original trilogy – in my mind the weakest scene probably visual effects wise in the three films was the Warg sequence in the Two Towers. I’m wondering if Peter would be tempted to go back and try to tinker with those scenes, given that he wants to create one continuous journey. Is there/ has there been any thing indicating that, and I know this might just be pure speculation on your part, but what do you think? Do you think he’ll do that or not?

Larry:
Well you know I’m of two minds. Even as you asked the question – yeah, no, yeah – Peter has said, pretty much every director has said – that a movie never really is finished but you have to let it go at some point so they can make prints and ship it out. However, I don’t see him as much (umm) lives with his past movies, I think he’s onto the next thing more. It would be interesting to say to WETA and WETA digital “hey guys, there’s a few sequences where the CG shows through just a little bit”. On the other hand, as like in the Star Wars films, it’s kind of a historical document [Sohaib agrees] that kind of says ‘Hey this is where we were in 2002 with digital effects, we were leading the way in cutting edge – this is what we could do’.
The beauty of BluRay I guess is that they could clean it up and then release both versions on a disc which wouldn’t be a bad option. If I had the vote though, I kind of pick they wouldn’t do that. I think that they would just release the films. I just can’t see them spending time – maybe if it was quick and easy – but, I just can’t see them spending a lot of time on those again.

Sohaib:
Right, right. And as far as Doug Jones – his possible inclusion in these two films?

Larry:
Well, Doug was at the Saturn Awards on the red carpet actually, and – for those who aren’t familiar with del Toro’s guys, Doug Jones is a del Toro favourite, and he has said ‘Hey this guy will be in the movie somewhere’ – nobody can quite figure out where – I have some ideas of course – everyone can speculate, but del Toro walked up behind Jones on the red carpet and the reporter wisely said ‘hey what are you thinking about Doug Jones for The Hobbit’ and he [del Toro] said well, we’ll find a way to torture him and put him in there, and basically said ‘you know if I was directing a haemaroid commercial I’d put Doug Jones in the commercial, no matter what I do [Sohaib laughs], so he’ll be there somewhere although we don’t have any details. And all that, what I said, also applies to Ron Perlman. We can count on those guys being in the Hobbit, definitely.

Sohaib:
Ok. We have got a minute and a half, two minutes left, is there anything that’s recently come up and maybe’s not on the site, or has been included on the site – and again, I want all our listeners who are not – you know regulars visitors to the OneRing.net to start visiting the site, cause I’m telling you daily there are continuous updates, and it’s really exciting to see the news just emerging forth – but what’s happening? Do we have anything that’s not been posted, or you want to highlight before we head out?

Larry:
Yeah, there is one thing. Bruce Hopkins, who played Gamling, a kind of a smaller role in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, lived in New Zealand – and a few years ago, he was advised by a lawyer ‘Hey New Line are making a lot of money selling Gamling imagery and pictures, and you should talk to your other New Zealand actors’ – You know these guys are people who don’t make – oh I can’t even speculate - together or even half a million, probably not. And they got together, 16 of them, at the risk of being blackballed by Hollywood, and said ‘hey, you owe us some money’.
This week that was settled out of court. And Bruce is an extremely generous nice guy, he’s just a great guy and he lead the charge and got those people a little money. They settled out of court and nobody can talk about it. But I’m really happy for those actors. [Sohaib agrees] You know, these are a lot of the people we see in the background that maybe have a line or two – not even for the money, but a bit of justice on their side, I think that’s really cool.

Sohaib:
Yeah, yeah.

Larry:
And you know we cover that kind of thing at theOneRing as well. We just care about the whole Lord of the Rings family I guess.

Sohaib:
That’s refreshing to see that even the little guys are basically still getting their due, you know, because a lot of times they get sort of lost in the mix - and Larry you know time flies when we’re having fun, we’re actually out of time, but I wonder if you’ll be more than happy to come back. We actually had a caller who had a question but we’re not going to be able to take it this week ...

Larry:
Oh! I’m so sorry. But you can write us: MrCere@theonering.net we’ll be happy to answer that.

Sohaib:
OK. You’ve been listening to Fictional Frontiers with Sohaib. We’ll see you next week, and in 2 weeks another segment with the www.onering.net your source of all information related to the realms of Middle-earth. Thanks Larry!

Larry:
Thank you.

Smile Transcript by Elven for tORN.

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2008, 11:44pm

Post #2 of 20 (661 views)
Shortcut
Wondeful [In reply to] Can't Post

For having a not-so-great connection, Elven, you are absolutely fabulous with these transcripts! Your typing speed must be incredibly fast- or you have a completely photographic memory.

For those of us who don't, we appreciate it! It's wonderful to read these.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 12:56am

Post #3 of 20 (678 views)
Shortcut
Voices [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL, I actually got a chance to listen this morning and I'm surprised at how deep MrCere's voice was--he has this big booming voice. I keep picturing him as in his early 20's or somethingWink

Once again, thank you for a great job transcribing, Elven. You rock!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2008, 2:29am

Post #4 of 20 (620 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, very nice :) But [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm quite confused with this statement about Hobbit movie 1 and Hobbit movie 2. The last GDT interviews I read were those with MTV and he definitely doesn't imply anything like that. Actually he said they call the second movie not the bridge movie but just "The Movie". And because there is a significant difference between "The Movie" and Hobbit movie 2 I'm relying on GDT's appreciation of Tolkien's work... I truly hope the Hobbit won't be made in two movies although some of the scenes will surely be mixed and some of them will have to go in F2.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 4:34am

Post #5 of 20 (631 views)
Shortcut
Translating that bit ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Simplyaven Smile
What Larry was explaining here was was actually about the Hobbit Movie, but in 2 phases or 2 films ... is this the bit you were referring too?

The thing now is that Part One and Part Two of The Hobbit Movie is really as they’re referring to it – I really don’t know if that will catch on. It’s very hard for me, and maybe for you, I can’t help but think of it as a Bridge Film, but again, we’re not on the script – they’re just calling it The Hobbit Part One and Part Two – so I guess that’s the correct terminology.

It would possibly read better if I had bracketed some of the text, but in transcribing it, it reads differently than it sounds ...
like this ...

The thing now is that Part One and Part Two of The Hobbit Movie is really as they’re referring to it – I really don’t know if that will catch on. It’s very hard for me, and maybe for you, I can’t help but think of it as a Bridge Film, but again, we’re not on the script – they’re just calling it 'The Hobbit' (Part One and Part Two) – so I guess that’s the correct terminology.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Elven

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Hellmistress
Lorien

Oct 13 2008, 4:45am

Post #6 of 20 (605 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Elven, for your tireless efforts on everyone's behalf. I'll send the URL for this thread to Doug. Great stuff.

HM

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 4:46am

Post #7 of 20 (617 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

that voice Wink. I thought it was like a cross between John Wayne and Elvis Wink
Im either close or way off Laugh

Thanks to Larry for a great show as well!

Cheers
Elven

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 13 2008, 4:51am

Post #8 of 20 (620 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again Elven [In reply to] Can't Post

Once more you do us proud :-)

*hugs*
Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyčna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 4:55am

Post #9 of 20 (606 views)
Shortcut
Hi Hellmistress ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that! its no problem - and you're very welcome - and thanks for putting it up on Dougs site Smile
LOL!

Cheers
Elven x

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 4:57am

Post #10 of 20 (589 views)
Shortcut
Cheers Kel x // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 5:02am

Post #11 of 20 (612 views)
Shortcut
All smoke and mirrors :D [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL!
I have my recorder - but its sound activated, so when the streaming connection breaks, the recorder turns itself off - so I have to tap on the desk with my pen to activate the recorder so I dont miss anything Crazy Wink
Technology - sheeeesh!
But this is the first time this happened - and thank goodness the connection didnt go down, just kept breaking up this time. I'll keep my eye on it from now on and try shut down some extra windows to keep the 'flow' happening.

Cheers Ainu Laire!
Elven x

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 13 2008, 5:04am

Post #12 of 20 (626 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Elven, thank you for clarifying. The part you mentioned and this one were on my mind:

they’ve come to think of it more just as a two part film, not the Hobbit film and the ‘other’ film, but just a two part Hobbit film.

Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Thank you for all your efforts, I read the transcripts regularly Smile

I believe

(This post was edited by simplyaven on Oct 13 2008, 5:05am)

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 5:27am

Post #13 of 20 (600 views)
Shortcut
"A cross between John Wayne and Elvis"? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, Mr Cere is gonna love ya for that kind of comment...LOL! Cool

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 5:44am

Post #14 of 20 (602 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much, Elven! [In reply to] Can't Post

You do such a great job, in spite of your technical problems. It is wonderful that you take the time to do these transcripts!

That bit at the end was interesting. I am really glad the actors who had only these small roles got a bit more from NL - sometimes there *is* justice!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 6:23am

Post #15 of 20 (632 views)
Shortcut
Ah yep, I see ... [In reply to] Can't Post

for this one, Larry was speaking in relationship to how we have been calling it many things - Bridge Movie, prequel, sprequel, Film Two, F2, and he was clarifying that Guillermo has mentioned that the way that the scripting is coming along, the writing team are just calling it inclusively 'the Hobbit' - which actually refers to Hobbit Film 1 and Hobbit Film 2.

so I'll edit the line and bracket it, so it may mkae more sense in context ...

they’ve come to think of it more just as a two part film, not the Hobbit film and the ‘other’ film, but just a two part Hobbit film.

they’ve come to think of it more just as a two part film. Not "The Hobbit film and the ‘other’ film" - but just a (two part) 'Hobbit' film.

Smile
Cheers
Elven x

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 6:46am

Post #16 of 20 (588 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Its nice to see! [In reply to] Can't Post

Larry also posted a letter on the tORN HOME page from Bruce, a few days ago, and it was great that he wrote and let us know of their Justice with this matter.
Its very deserving, and they put their necks on the board to see this happen, so it was worth the effort they put in.

Cheers, and your more than welcome for the transcript!

Elven x

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 13 2008, 9:07am

Post #17 of 20 (640 views)
Shortcut
*geeky happy-dance* I love these!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Elven, you've done it again!!! These are SO MUCH WORK, and I appreciate it more than I can say :D

GO MRCERE!! I wonder how many emails he's gotten besides that one? INCOMING!!! I'm so touched by Gamling/Bruce Hopkins' effort that has resulted in justice for his fellow actors/actresses. He really is a very funny, enthusiastic guy who is heavily involved in many humanitarian issues and was always a convention highlight for me. He's hiliarious on stage and very generous in his heart-felt interactions with us, the fans.

Well done, MrCere... and well done Elven :) KUDOS TO Sohaib. Thanks for feeding our fandom :D I dub him an official sibbie! *pwang!*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Elven
Valinor

Oct 13 2008, 1:39pm

Post #18 of 20 (637 views)
Shortcut
Pssst ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Grams - no worries Smile (((hugs)))
and I totally agree with the Bruce Hopkins and Co. win!

and I think our Sohaib is already a tornmaniac ... errr ... tornsib Wink Laugh
There is no going back!! bwaha!

Cheers Grams
Elven x

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 13 2008, 4:57pm

Post #19 of 20 (570 views)
Shortcut
*eyebrows shoot up* Ahhhh-haaaaa... *wink, wink* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 14 2008, 3:48am

Post #20 of 20 (577 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.