Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Shore talks King Kong and The Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2007, 4:37pm

Views: 571
Shortcut
Shore talks King Kong and The Hobbit Can't Post

My soundtrack friend, Sabsi, attended the recent concert at Lucerne Switzerland. She's written a report and posted it in number of places. I encouraged her to send it to spymaster at TORn, which she did... but it hasn't been published on the home page and must have gotten overlooked in all the recent gaming news. I have her permission to repost it here because I thought there was news that TORnsibs would be eager to hear.

Sabsi's report is below but let me first tease out this bit I don't want you to miss:

(Howard) wants to release his version of the KingKong-Soundtrack and would like to return to Middleearth and collaborate with PJ again for The Hobbit!

Howard has stated before that he would like to do the Hobbit but this is the first thing I've heard him say on King Kong. Check at the bottom of the post for a quick comment from Doug Adams.

As you probably know, there were two concerts in Switzerland, called 'Music of Howard Shore'. Both featured the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ludwig Wicki.

The first concert scheduled was in Lucerne on March 16, 2007 at 7:30pm - and I was there!!

First, there was a Q & A with Howard Shore.

The most important things: He plays 6 different instruments (trumpet, saxophone, piano, clarinet, flute and cello), wants to release his version of the KingKong-Soundtrack and would like to return to Middleearth and collaborate with PJ again for The Hobbit!

Then he signed autographs (here is a picture of him) - I even got the chance to take a picture with him and to ask him, what he thinks about it, that his music was used on "The Simpsons" and how that happened. He answered: 'They asked me, an I said yes [of course, what else - what was I thinking ]. I think it's an honor to be in the Simpsons, isn't it?'

Then the concert began. It featured his music from 'The Fly', 'Dead Ringers', 'Naked Lunch', 'M. Butterfly', 'Mrs. Doubtfire', 'Prelude to A Kiss', 'Nobody's Fool', 'Big', 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Se7en' and 'The Aviator'.

After ‘The Aviator’, there was much applause and Ludwig Wicki called him on the stage - which caused even more applause...

Ludwig Wicki left the stage and Howard Shore CONDUCTED the 'Symphonic Suite of The Fellowship of the Ring' HIMSELF!

I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this..

I mean, the LotR-Soundtrack, conducted by Howard Shore himself! How cool is that?

The 'Symphonic Suite of FotR' featured the Fellowship-Theme (the one you can hear after Gandalf's 'to the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm') and 'The Breaking of the Fellowship'. The boy, who was singing 'In Dreams' was very nervous (who wouldn't?) and a bit out of tune, but Howard smiled at him, making him more comfortable, and even sang along!

When he finished, the hall exploded. Everybody was on his/her feet and he was moved to tears (so was I - I was sitting in the 5th row, so I could see him pretty good - here is a picture of him on the stage).

He had to come back on the stage again for several times because the applause wouldn't stop.

If you ever get the chance to meet him: take it! He is so sweet, down-to-earth and patient (he signed everything he was asked to and even when my friend needed a hundred years to take that picture - she pressed the power-button instead of the shutter and my camera takes a VERY long time to get ready again - he just stood next to me, talked to me and smiled into the camera)! *sigh*

Sabsi

(For anyone who reads the lyrics at my website: Sabsi is a major contributor to that section. Without here, and a few others, the lyrics would not be half of what they are.)

After reading Sabsi's report, Doug Adams commented:

So HS is talking about Kong, eh? There’s some staggeringly beautiful and heartfelt writing in there.

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

Subject User Time
Shore talks King Kong and The Hobbit Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 30 2007, 4:37pm
    and another comment about Howard... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 30 2007, 4:43pm
    Ooo, intriguing news Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 30 2007, 8:19pm
    I would LOVE to hear his Kong SandWitch King Send a private message to SandWitch King Mar 30 2007, 10:22pm
    First and immediate reaction to this: *Sobs*!... mae govannen Send a private message to mae govannen Mar 31 2007, 9:49am
    Wonderful! Absolutely delightful! A thousand thanks! hobbitlove Send a private message to hobbitlove Apr 2 2007, 5:55am
    Howard Shore's Talent chickie0317 Send a private message to chickie0317 Apr 6 2007, 3:46am
    *tearing* omg grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 9 2007, 7:03pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.