Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The first part of the Hobbit should end at Mirkwood!

ACDC1989
The Shire

Oct 9 2008, 8:55am

Views: 2855
Shortcut
The first part of the Hobbit should end at Mirkwood! Can't Post

Fellow Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and Tolkien fans,

wouldn't the second film dealing with the Battle of the Five Armies straight after the death of Smaug be a truely folly decision? Del Toro, for those who weren't aware, stated that part 1 ends with the death of Smaug. The first thing which immediately came into my mind when i heard of this news that it`ll be rushed. They are supposidely expecting to cover around 8/10 of the book within the first film whilst presumably explaining Gandalf's venturing for counsel. Hence my worrying. I just sincerely hope that there is no dramatic cutting and changing of the story.

Personally, from being a very big Tolkien fan, it would be alot safer to allow the end of the first film to end during the stepping into Mirkwood and the second film picking up where it left off. Perhaps a third film acting as transition towards The Fellowship of the Ring?

The only way Del Toro's idea could possibly work is if the first film was 4 or 5+ hours long. Perhaps the extended edition will be around 4 or 5+ hours if not the original one. It sounds ridiculous but it's seriously true. Del Toro, Jackson etc are going to have to compensate due to the shortness of the book, in comparison to the books of LOTR, which i think they will do. But regarding the bridging film i'm not entirely sure how their going to do that. There are too many goings on such as Gandalf venturing to the White Counsel, Saruman becoming an ally with Sauron, Aragorn capturing Gollum on behalf of Gandalf, Sauron's banishment from Mirkwood etc. By the way i hope John Rhys Davis considers a role! Perhaps he could play a slightly younger Gimli? Or even Gloin which would be utterly brilliant.
Please post all your comments as are very much appreciated. Many thanks!

Subject User Time
The first part of the Hobbit should end at Mirkwood! ACDC1989 Send a private message to ACDC1989 Oct 9 2008, 8:55am
    Why did this need a separate thread? Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Oct 9 2008, 3:55pm
        How about "Welcome to TORn, ACDC1989"? Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Oct 9 2008, 11:21pm
            My apologies Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Oct 10 2008, 3:23am
                Intriguing. ACDC1989 Send a private message to ACDC1989 Oct 10 2008, 12:08pm
    Welcome to TORN, ACDC1989! N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Oct 10 2008, 12:00am
        I agree... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Oct 10 2008, 1:00am
            While I agree... weyhoops Send a private message to weyhoops Oct 11 2008, 4:19pm
                Don't worry. Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Oct 15 2008, 11:22pm
        I agree.. Jettorex Send a private message to Jettorex Oct 10 2008, 2:24pm
            Are those the book's climaxes? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Oct 10 2008, 7:22pm
                A plethora of dénouements... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Oct 11 2008, 2:58am
                    Bilbo doesn't have to be in many scenes simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Oct 11 2008, 4:34am
    Howdy and Welcome ACDC1989 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Oct 13 2008, 1:41am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.