Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo - scripting will hopefully be done by the change of the year - MTV interview.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 4:16am

Post #1 of 28 (972 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo - scripting will hopefully be done by the change of the year - MTV interview. Can't Post

More great news from Guillermo!
MTV has a new interview and a video to watch on its website.
http://www.mtv.com/.../1596511/story.jhtml

Oct 7 2008 8:20 PM EDT
Guillermo Del Toro Says 'Hobbit' Script Is Coming Together 'Magically'
'We're all jamming at the same time,' director raves of his collaboration with Peter Jackson and other screenwriters.
By Shawn Adler, with reporting by Josh Horowitz

......"First thing is, sometimes we get all together in the same space or we all are in video conferencing.
And those are sessions that can last two, three days,"

......"But after that, it's almost like we take turns to a degree or we each get big, big homework to do and then we come back.
And then we exchange that homework and then we have input from that.

..... "Things happen almost magically, with pure synchronicity. It's like, things that I'm thinking about, I get an e-mail ... or I get Philippa,
for example, to answer that," del Toro said. "When we're meeting, when the four of us are in the conference, the things that I'm thinking, we
answer them."

Its moving along nicely!!
Script by the turn of the year - its sooo close!

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

(This post was edited by Elven on Oct 8 2008, 4:20am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 8 2008, 4:18am

Post #2 of 28 (444 views)
Shortcut
How does MTV get all the good interviews? :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Elven
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 4:23am

Post #3 of 28 (444 views)
Shortcut
Bwaha - I wish I knew!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 4:31am

Post #4 of 28 (445 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hardly believe it, it sounds surrealistic already! But then I checked the link in the middle of the article and I have to admit I'm concerned. Why are they discussing different endings of TH... I don't want it stretched to the middle of F2 Frown A scene or two to make the connection, that's OK but I truly hope F2 will show more of the Appendices and the events we wouldn't see otherwise!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 5:33am

Post #5 of 28 (448 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link... you missed the other one! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one at the Movie blog. I'll post it in another thread. But thanks as always for the info!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 5:50am

Post #6 of 28 (429 views)
Shortcut
Added it [In reply to] Can't Post

Forum talk from The Movie Blog article here. (Smaug dies in the First Movie... a true Pentology)

Actual article here.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

ShawnAdler

Oct 8 2008, 6:12am

Post #7 of 28 (443 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

TORN Members -

Long time lurker, first time poster, etc, etc. I remember coming here for news on the movies when I was in college, so it's thrilling and somewhat bizarre that you guys are now looking towards my work on MTV for the same. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien and Guillermo both (I explained a little of my history with Tolkien here: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/20/hobbit-director-guillermo-del-toro-answers-your-questions-submit-now/) but suffice it to say, I look a lot smarter because of discussions here - so thank you.

Obviously, nobody needs to be told that The Hobbit is a huge deal, but the more you guys view and comment on our stories, the more cool news we can bring. So please keep those questions, comments, speculations, and theories coming.

And if you ever need to reach me directly, please contact me through the movies blog. I'm always happy to receive an email or a comment from a fellow fan.

In the meantime, keep your eyes glued to the Movies Blog in the coming days for A LOT more on the film from Guillermo.

And thanks again for all your support.

-Shawn

PS: To the poster who compared me in an earlier thread to a "young Kurt Loder:" "Praise you. Praise you with great praise!"

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 6:22am

Post #8 of 28 (435 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems TORn and MTV could make a great team Wink

Anyway, glad TORn is so inspiring to you - I feel the same way. And all these news on MTV are so exciting, too!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 6:39am

Post #9 of 28 (418 views)
Shortcut
All hail Elven... [In reply to] Can't Post

Praise him with great praise!

Between transcripts and this stuff, I don't know how you have the free time, but bless you for it! You're providing an invaluable service for us. Many thanks again!

I have only had time to zip through the video and no time to comment (it's VERY late here), but all I can say at this point is--does anyone else think Guillermo looks a wee bit like Salman Rushdie here?!Cool

I have passed along all the stories posted tonight to DTF--I know Parker and HM will love this! And now peace out
(*chuckles about Doug mentioning "fans on DTF talking about possible roles*...goes off whistling, hands in pockets*..sorry, I can't resist)

G'night all

PS Welcome to TORN Mr. Adler--or "Mae Govannen" as we say!

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 8 2008, 6:45am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2008, 7:15am

Post #10 of 28 (424 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or rather, its well you've finally come out of lurk-mode Crazy I sincerely thank you for the effort you put in to getting us great and quality interviews concering these films. And of course we're all looking forward for more of the same stuff in the coming years.

"In the meantime, keep your eyes glued to the Movies Blog in the coming days for A LOT more on the film from Guillermo."

Dude... I can't wait Evil

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2008, 7:17am

Post #11 of 28 (445 views)
Shortcut
So by the end of the year... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we'll know who Bilbo is (GDT said it could be our Christmas gift) and also know what exactly (or partially Crazy) Film 2 is? OMG... I can't wait for the "change of the year" now.

Thanks again for bringing us the news Elven Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 8:04am

Post #12 of 28 (389 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Shawn [In reply to] Can't Post

and what a fantastic job you are doing over there! Smile

Its such a great big buzz to read the news and piece all the bits together, and to know that it's all gathering pace nicely!
Each day brings a new surprise, and thank goddness there are days between to catch the breath before some more news arrives!
Thankyou for your story - and Im sorry I missed posting the link ... it was the next thing to do on the list - but I had to get to work - I was already late Blush
Thanks (((Compa))) for getting the thread up!

Woot - the ride is picking up pace!

Cheers and many thanks to you both.
Elven x

Elven
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 8:16am

Post #13 of 28 (416 views)
Shortcut
I dont know anywhere else .. [In reply to] Can't Post

or anything else 'd rather be doing or being...Smile .. though life calls, so I get here when I can.
I was supposed to be at work on a garden Im working on (trying to turn it into Lothlorien - seriously Cool) ... and I explained why I was late (again) that: I had tp post on tORN and Guillermo and Doug Jones said something!!! and I had to post it before I could attend the gardening.
I am the luckiest person - because that is well understood by my writer 'boss' - and a perfectly reasonable and acceptable reason to be late for work. I love that kind of support!
... and a massive thanks to all the other people who post the stories and contribute their reports and views - all the sustainance we need to feed on!
Thanks Sunflower!
Cheers Elven

Elven
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 8:23am

Post #14 of 28 (425 views)
Shortcut
Earl ... [In reply to] Can't Post

we'll have to send out an emergency warning for you and a few others when the news comes through ... ambulance alert - treatment to geek happiness overload. I have grammas already booked Smile

I love December, Christmas, the New Year, and into January! It seems thats the time when all the big stuff happens, and the news starts to over flow!
... just think ... within 12 weeks!
WOOT!!
I'll let my doctor know Wink

Cheers Earl
Elven x

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 10:10am

Post #15 of 28 (415 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you out of Lurkwood. And what a wonderful article that was- I look forward to more!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 12:05pm

Post #16 of 28 (375 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That's certainly a *very* sensible and understanding boss, allowing you to be late because you have to post here! Smile

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 12:12pm

Post #17 of 28 (389 views)
Shortcut
*LOL* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Elven, you're right! Some of us need to warn family and co-workers to be prepared when the news come out!

Thanks for the laugh!

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2008, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 28 (375 views)
Shortcut
Welcome - and thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

We here at TORn look forward to these scoops - the excitement just keeps building! Keep up the good work. Cool

"...and back again."

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2008, 3:52pm

Post #19 of 28 (367 views)
Shortcut
Mae Govannen, Shawn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy your work very much as a fellow writer Cool

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 8 2008, 5:43pm

Post #20 of 28 (359 views)
Shortcut
..... "Things happen almost magically, with pure synchronicity. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart Those are the words I was waiting to hear. IIRC, it began like that with LOTR between Peter and Philipa and Fran, beginning with finding an old copy of LOTR on a site they were checking out. The Valar are at work once again and I shall breathe easier.

Great work Elven, really top notch effort on your part and tell your boss we are all grateful for his understanding and patience. Wink

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 8 2008, 7:46pm

Post #21 of 28 (371 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez... you know you're asking for it, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

And a huge WELCOME to you, to be sure.

I'm glad you've come out of the shadows to share this with us. We've been (as you know) waiting for this to happen for so many years. To finally FINALLY have this opportunity to have Tolkien's story completed and visit Peter, Fran and Philippa's magical world again is so thrilling!! That GdT has been thrown into the mix is just adding spectacular to euphoria!

Shores music, Lee's/Howe's artistry, Weta's creativity... it's all too much to absorb.

Thanks for coming here today. *twitch* This is awesome!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2008, 9:07pm

Post #22 of 28 (391 views)
Shortcut
You do know, Elven... (and reflections on geekiness) [In reply to] Can't Post

that I am officially uber-jealous of you now...God, that I had that kind of a bossTongue.

Regarding ambulances for "geekiness overload treatment", someone please tell me HOW I am going to survive next year

The two great uberfan/geedom experiences of my life are about to collide as they never have before:
U2 are releasing a new album and going on tour in 2009, and the Casting/Filming part of TH will be next year too.
This has happened before: in 2001, with the band's "Elevation Tour" and FOTR coming in the same year.
Problem is, even though I was on TORN back then, I posted far less frequently. I didn't have the "TORN obsession" in 2001 that I have now...
(*OOPS did I just say "TORN obesssion"? *crawls into box* Sly)

Regarding U2, I am to that band in geek terms as Gramma is to Tolkien. I can say this with confidence. I've been a fan since 1981, have grown up with them, and even by 1985 was such a fan that I felt embarrassed to even own a U2 T-shirt or hang a poster on the wall b/c it would be like idolizing members of your family, and that would be an insult. I am a walking encyclopedia of the band, thier families/wives/children/exes and girlfriends, I can tell how old a band member is by seeing any photo and probably when and where that pic was taken--plus fil in all the musical detail of that year; and can quote date and periodical and language an interview was in. I've been to Dublin and signed The Wall at Windmill Lane. God help me, I've met the band several times, and even chatted with their security "posse". I'll never get to the stage of U2 license plates, but I'm not far short. The only thing that puts me in the lower echelons is how many times I've seen them live....(only 10. In the front rows for most of those though.)

Between lurking on TORn in the wee hrs of the morning for filming news and having to keep track of the tour online--and my chosen website is just as obsessive with news/video/reports/spy network-- and with limited posting time for both, HOW will I survive?? I'll be having "geekiness attacks" 3 times a week... and I am a normal person with a life ya know...

(and getting U2 tix is an adventure all by itself)

I'll be joining Gramma and Earl in the hospital...:)

Anyone ever experience something similar? Advice?
(Only half tongue-in-cheek hereLaugh).

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Oct 8 2008, 9:15pm)

luvgabe
The Shire

Oct 8 2008, 10:22pm

Post #23 of 28 (320 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

to everyone instrumental in making the end of this year something to look forward to, amidst the global economic gloom.

Yes, indeed, the Valar and the spirit of Tolkien are watching over and guiding this creative process.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

Elven
Valinor

Oct 9 2008, 9:17am

Post #24 of 28 (309 views)
Shortcut
LOL - Im getting you your own ward then ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it will have limited internet connection - and someone in a nice jacket will bring you updates on a silver tray ... I'll see if maybe Earl can be put on the roster rounds if he's recovered in time .. Laugh Wink
LOL!! Diagnosis: You are obsessed and there be no cure! - cause its too much fun Laugh

Though I have seen U2 in concert twice in Australia - and they were awesome ... (pity about the bomb scare though we had at the Entertainment Centre though just before the concert - my sister and I went to the pub along with about 5,000 others - I dont think the bar staff were very happy that night). Wink
Cheers
Elven

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Oct 9 2008, 10:05pm

Post #25 of 28 (314 views)
Shortcut
When I was a teenager [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVED Johnny Cash. I also happened to live in New York where there was only one part-time country station (1970's). No car, no income, but I somehow managed to see him 16 times in 9 states. The first was at Madison Square Garden. Oh my! Tickets were easier to come by-even the MSG tickets were just $8.50. <sigh>

When I got to college, my nickname was "Cash".

Now I'm beginning to get into U2. Would you mind if I wrote you offlist for some advice?

Eruwestial

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.