Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Please Tell Me Jackson won't add Aragorn into The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2008, 6:13am

Post #1 of 36 (584 views)
Shortcut
Please Tell Me Jackson won't add Aragorn into The Hobbit Can't Post

I've read various sources say he will be in it and even have a large part, come on Jackson leave The Hobbit alone! It's one thing if its the second film.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 5 2008, 8:14am

Post #2 of 36 (349 views)
Shortcut
Could you give [In reply to] Can't Post

these sources, please? So far I've only learned that Viggo would gladly return, but no one that claimed him to be exactly in the Hobbit (only people wondering if 10-year-old Estel would make an appearance).

Welcome to TORn, btw!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Oct 5 2008, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 36 (319 views)
Shortcut
Well, for one thing, isn't del Toro writing the scripts for both? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn doesn't fit into The Hobbit (most/all of which would be in the first of the two Hobbit movies). I don't see that changing.

But, he could fit into a second movie, if the second movie focuses on the time between the end of the Hobbit and the beginning of FOTR. There's an adequate outline in the appendices of LOTR, some of which tells more of the backstory of Aragorn - Aragorn meeting Arwen or going to battle with Theoden's father or traveling to Minas Tirith.

The Road News and Rumors
http://www.theroadrumors.com

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2008, 6:13pm

Post #4 of 36 (280 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

second movie is fine but not The Hobbit.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 5 2008, 7:10pm

Post #5 of 36 (266 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we're going to be seeing him anywhere but in Film 2. Film 2 may commit "heresy", but I have a feeling that TH will be as close to canon as possible, with the addition of a small speaking part here or there (such as a Lake Towner) not in the book.

Simplyaven has started a "What will there be in Film 2" thread in the Hobbit section....we';re discussing things like this there.

BTW, welcome to TORN, MoS, if I haven't seen you before you've had some great comments!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2008, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 36 (241 views)
Shortcut
I second this plus Viggo doesn`t have anything signed yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reference, Sunflower, hopefully many TORNsibs will share their thoughts on what should go in F2.

MouthofSauron, I haven't seen any sources stating such a thing. In fact, I haven't seen anything which says Viggo will be in the movies at all (unfortunately). I think you misunderstood something. Both PJ and GDT have declared their intention to follow TH (the book) closely. As about F2, well there are plenty of opportunities for Aragorn to be present.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 5 2008, 8:48pm

Post #7 of 36 (244 views)
Shortcut
PJ, Fran, Phillipa, and GdT are working on the scripts for both, I believe. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

labadal
Rivendell

Oct 5 2008, 8:54pm

Post #8 of 36 (252 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

There is the possibility that in the second film they could have Gandalf and Aragorn tracking Gollum. Other than that I can't see where he could really fit in, as much as I would like to see the character return.
I doubt it will happen.

Yo, ho ho, to the bottle I go.
To heal my heart and drwon my woe,
Rain amy falla nd wind may blow,
but there still be many miles to go.
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the streamrain or a rippling brook,
is a mug of beer inside this Took!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2008, 8:55pm

Post #9 of 36 (295 views)
Shortcut
Viggo on MTV [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if they have contracted him yet but Viggo said on a MTV interview that he would love to return to the franchise.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 5 2008, 8:55pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2008, 9:01pm

Post #10 of 36 (246 views)
Shortcut
This is a completely different thing from what you said first [In reply to] Can't Post

We all know he said it there and he has said it again since then but noone ever has said that Aragorn will be part of the Hobbit movie. If there is part for him at all (because neither the producer nor the director have said so), it would be in F2. Again, until the producer and the director haven`t called him with an offer, what Viggo would like to happen has nothing to do with the reality.

I believe

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2008, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 36 (236 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm still betting he will be in F2.

JesusFreakForReal
The Shire

Oct 6 2008, 2:16am

Post #12 of 36 (222 views)
Shortcut
Film 2... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure it has been said that Aragorn, if he does appear, would only be in film 2. Personally, I think it'd be a mistake to leave him out of film 2, what with Viggo so eager to return. He should not be in the Hobbit, of course.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 2:17am

Post #13 of 36 (222 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure he will be back [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo wants to return and so does Jackson and Del Toro.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2008, 4:34am

Post #14 of 36 (230 views)
Shortcut
It seems you're very close with PJ and GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you know what they want without them saying a word in public Cool

I believe

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 4:43am

Post #15 of 36 (204 views)
Shortcut
I wish! [In reply to] Can't Post

actually they have said that, I could dig up the interviews if you like?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2008, 4:46am

Post #16 of 36 (202 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've seen a word from them on Viggo's coming back as Aragorn. Even worse, he says he hasn't heard from them Crazy

I believe

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 4:53am

Post #17 of 36 (219 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mortensen, McKellen & Serkis Returning for Hobbit?
Source: Variety May 21, 2008

Pre-production is about to get under way on The Hobbit and its sequel, says Variety.

Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to write the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro. Preliminary contact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).

"We will all be involved in the script in some fashion but the exact definition is about a week away, " said del Toro. "I am all for keeping the actors who originated the parts, as much as availability and their willingness will allow."

Del Toro will also be producing Hater with Mark Johnson for Universal Pictures. Based on David Moody's 2006 novel, the thriller is about an epidemic of random violence in which ordinary people strike lethally without warning or remorse. The book will be adapted for the screen by Glen Mazzara (FX's "The Shield").

http://www.comingsoon.net/...bitnews.php?id=45328

Guillermo del Toro will enter pre-production on the two-film big screen adaptation of The Hobbit after Hellboy II: The Golden Army hits theaters in July. Variety reports that Warner Bros has already had “preliminary contact” with three actors from Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy about reprising their roles for the upcoming prequels:
  • Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn)
  • Ian McKellen (Gandalf)
  • Andy Serkis (Gollum).

http://www.slashfilm.com/...alks-for-the-hobbit/

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 6 2008, 4:58am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2008, 4:59am

Post #18 of 36 (189 views)
Shortcut
Ah, these I know [In reply to] Can't Post

but PJ and GDT have never confirmed anything. In general, I don't think we'll know anything until next year because it's too early and contracts are not signed. And Viggo said he heard something about him returning but he hasn't been contacted, so... I guess we have to wait. Why would he say so if he had signed? Both McKellen and Serkis announced it when they were contacted and confirmed. If Viggo says he hasn't been told anything and since both PJ and GDT are silent, I think it's not certain for now. Journalists will keep writing of course, but only the team and/or actors can give us the truth. Thank you for the interview Smile

I believe

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 5:02am

Post #19 of 36 (181 views)
Shortcut
good point still [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but PJ and GDT have never confirmed anything. In general, I don't think we'll know anything until next year because it's too early and contracts are not signed. And Viggo said he heard something about him returning but he hasn't been c fontacted, so... I guess we have to wait. Why would he say so if he had signed? Both McKellen and Serkis announced it when they were contacted and confirmed. If Viggo says he hasn't been told anything and since both PJ and GDT are silent, I think it's not certain for now. Journalists will keep writing of course, but only the team and/or actors can give us the truth. Thank you for the interview Smile

I'm sure he will be back. I couldn't find the one where PJ says he would love to flesh out the Aragorn/Arwen story. -This means Liv Tyler will be back also? ooolala.

Who could thought one so small could endure so much pain. But he did Gandalf, he did.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2008, 5:13am

Post #20 of 36 (186 views)
Shortcut
Their story was filmed [In reply to] Can't Post

during the making of LOTR, so PJ doesn't need Lyv and Viggo if only the love story will be included in F2. And I'm not that anxious to watch this story, I would like to see Aragorn as part of the Rangers and his quests with Gandalf.

I believe

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 5:18am

Post #21 of 36 (168 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Although PJ did say this, I would like to see the Dunedain rangers as well.

Who could have thought one so small could endure so much pain. But he did Gandalf, he did.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 6 2008, 5:18am

Post #22 of 36 (172 views)
Shortcut
That's true only if GdT doesn't mind using another director's version [In reply to] Can't Post

And only if what was shot works in the movie GdT has built. It could be too long, too short, the wrong filters, lighting, costumes, etc. I think they'd want to reshoot it to make sure that particular scene doesn't stick out as another person's work.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2008, 5:20am

Post #23 of 36 (173 views)
Shortcut
thats if it happens [In reply to] Can't Post

del toro might not like the idea, who knows.

Who could have thought one so small could endure so much pain. But he did Gandalf, he did.

fuzzyfeet

Oct 8 2008, 1:02am

Post #24 of 36 (141 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! This is basically my first post, though I've been lurking for a while. Mind if I join in your conversation? I remember Aragorn being referenced in The Hobbit when I read it again about 2 years ago. But it was a minor role, to be sure, though it was interesting to me that he was around in the Hobbit considering what a major role Tolkien had him play in the later stories. I like the idea of seeing him with the Rangers. The story of the Rangers is an interesting one. His early history with Arwen is interesting, but so much of the depth of that relationship was fleshed out in the other movies that I'm not sure putting in more of the background would add anything qualitative.

Nice to meet you!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2008, 1:31am

Post #25 of 36 (153 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Fuzzyfeet [In reply to] Can't Post

most excellent to hear from you!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.