Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
What will Rivendell be like compared to how it was in FotR?

Henoluin Elsilim
Cabin Boy

Oct 3 2008, 7:10pm

Post #1 of 14 (316 views)
Shortcut
What will Rivendell be like compared to how it was in FotR? Can't Post

Rivendell is one of my favorite places in Middle-Earth, and I am especially anxious to see how in the Hobbit it will differ from the Rivendell we saw in The Fellowship of the Ring. Even though Rivendell has a rather short part in the Hobbit, it is - I think - a significant part. It's where Elrond reads the 'moon runes' which show the hidden door into the mountain, but more than that I think that it shows how life was before Sauron once again cast his shadow over the world.

I love the song that the elves sing when the Dwarves, along with Gandalf and Bilbo, enter the valley. It shows how much more simple and happy things were then compared to the diminishing light of the elves that we see in LotR. I hope that some sort of amusing, fun song makes it into the Rivendell scene, just because the thought of elves dancing around and smiling and laughing would be so much fun to see! Laugh

Any thoughts?

~ Henoluin ~

simplyaven
Boatswain

Oct 3 2008, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 14 (195 views)
Shortcut
I very much hope it will look the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they change it? I mean I don't see Elrond re-decorating often Cool And it's only 60 years between the Hobbit and LOTR, it shouldn't be changed at all. In fact, I truly hope they will try to be consistent and don't show another Rivendell.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

Henoluin Elsilim
Cabin Boy

Oct 3 2008, 8:56pm

Post #3 of 14 (209 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with you. I hope it will look the same, because it was so perfect in LotR. It hink the atmosphere will be different, but I hope that the appearence wont change, because I love it the way it is. But you never know, DT could decide to go with a different look... *hopes not*

~ Henoluin ~

simplyaven
Boatswain

Oct 3 2008, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 14 (198 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT expressed a number of times his intention to stay close to LOTR when it comes to visual identity - like the Shire they will build will be exactly the same we saw in LOTR. I don't think he would go with another Rivendell either. These are strong iimages, people remember them.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth starting October 15 on the Main board

I believe

One Ringer
Sailing Master

Oct 4 2008, 12:05am

Post #5 of 14 (204 views)
Shortcut
As Del Toro said about the Shire ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going to be a golden age, so I think we can assume that the same can be said for Rivendell. It'll probably be more green (summer-like) than gold (fall-like).

Arwen's daughter
First Mate

Oct 4 2008, 12:14am

Post #6 of 14 (190 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how far that color will spread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will the Rivendell elves wear more greens instead of the golds and browns they wear in the movies? Will Arwen's costumes (if she appears) be different since she hasn't allied herself with the world of men, yet?

I hope Rivendell remains the same with subtle differences. And I want to see more elves living there, considering that by LOTR they've been abandoning ship for 60 years. More elves, more color, and more life.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Nimloth
Able Seaman

Oct 4 2008, 4:44am

Post #7 of 14 (171 views)
Shortcut
No falling leaves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Will the Rivendell elves wear more greens instead of the golds and browns they wear in the movies? Will Arwen's costumes (if she appears) be different since she hasn't allied herself with the world of men, yet?

I hope Rivendell remains the same with subtle differences. And I want to see more elves living there, considering that by LOTR they've been abandoning ship for 60 years. More elves, more color, and more life.

Definately more colour in both the elves clothing and the surroundings. Perhaps a happier atmosphere with laughter and frolicking but not in a too obvious way. Leave that for the woodelves of Mirkwood who seem to love a party! Wink

Evernight
Cabin Boy

Oct 4 2008, 11:54pm

Post #8 of 14 (171 views)
Shortcut
The Last Homely House. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if there will be any changes, I hope not, but I do hope this time Rivendell will look a bit more "homely" than in LOTR.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Oct 4 2008, 11:55pm)

Patty
Captain

Oct 5 2008, 12:12am

Post #9 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I hope it looks structurally the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

exactly the same set. The colors should be greener, however. But in the scheme of the long lives of elves the 60 years difference isn't that great. Perhaps we should be able to see the beginnings of the autumn-time of the elves. They should still be merry, though. Sauron hasn't yet started to take shape again. But Elrond can still be serious, after all, if he has the gift of foresight, he must know that since the ring hasn't been "unmade" it's just a matter of time before it hits the fan.Laugh And don't forget, he doesn't entirely approve of the quest for and love of wealth that the Dwarves exhibit, so he can be a little serious and censoreous.

Permanent address: Into the West

Henoluin Elsilim
Cabin Boy

Oct 5 2008, 2:04am

Post #10 of 14 (128 views)
Shortcut
Definatly More color [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of it, but more color would definatly be good. It would make it seem more lively and happy, as it should be compared to LotR. But other than that it definatly shouldn't change. The only dif. should be more color, and the mood should be way happier. And I still think there should be dancing/singing elves! :D

~ Henoluin ~

Elven
Quartermaster

Oct 5 2008, 3:44am

Post #11 of 14 (130 views)
Shortcut
They spent 2 weeks there .. [In reply to] Can't Post

....though Bilbo's enchantment would I think give much colour to Rivendell, if it was described and painted through his eyes - Tolkien left a great gap of goings on which is advantageous in the context of Movie adaptation. .... and there was much discussion and history told in Rivendell - so maybe the possibility of seeing some more of the rooms and places and spaces in Rivendell - like an observatory - I'd like to see Daniel Reeves working Solar calender and telescope he designed included - or maybe a version of them - they would make great pieces in the room/observatory where the Moon Runes are discovered.

Maybe a beautiful starfilled night in Rivendell - not a cloud in the sky - crisp air and a full yellow moon ... Elves singing, Dwarves laughing (even though they both distrust and make fun of each other), and Bilbo totally mezmerized ...

It would be same old version of Rivendell, but we get to see so much more of it ...
Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

grammaboodawg
Captain

Oct 5 2008, 2:28pm

Post #12 of 14 (206 views)
Shortcut
"It smells like Elves!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That one line from Bilbo in the book really sets up Rivendell for me. But I really want it to be a revisit of what we have in LotR. It's so well established not only from the "shrine" area where the shards of Narsil rest with the mural of Isildur/Sauron and Gil-galad's spear are kept, but we have the hall where and small reading area where Elrond and Gandalf drink wine and talk about the failure of men; where Aragorn and Arwen speak together on the bridge and in a quiet area where he questions his path; where the Council is held; Frodo and Bilbo's rooms and where they read the Red Book; Arwen's room; the balcony where Sam and Frodo talk about going home; the area where the Fellowship meets before departing... not to mention the outtakes/unused scenes where the hobbits stand at the stylized globe; the library; etc.

Yeah... we have a very well-established Rivendell that would work nicely in The Hobbit and Film2... with or without the singing ;)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

MouthofSauron
Sailing Master

Oct 5 2008, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
the moon runes on the map [In reply to] Can't Post

-can't wait for that scene. Huge Weaving has to be back as Elrond, I think Rivendell will look more detailed just because of the advances in CGI since FOTR.

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Oct 5 2008, 6:12pm)

JesusFreakForReal
Swabbie

Oct 6 2008, 3:00am

Post #14 of 14 (124 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I totally agree with you. I hope it will look the same, because it was so perfect in LotR. It hink the atmosphere will be different, but I hope that the appearence wont change, because I love it the way it is. But you never know, DT could decide to go with a different look... *hopes not*

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, it's great as is in LOTR.

"There is always hope."- Aragorn
I'm a big Tampa Bay Rays fan, let's go all the way to the World Series!
Favorite movie of 08 so far: The Dark Knight
Favorite album of 08 so far: "We Need Each Other" by Sanctus Real

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.