Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Denethor's Costumes?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 3 2008, 2:17am

Post #1 of 12 (6940 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Denethor's Costumes? Can't Post

I say costumes, because Denethor wears 3 different costumes through the trilogy, though they are all very similar looking. I don't have any pictures of his costume from TTT during the Osgiliath flashback, unfortunately.

Ngila said that she wanted to dress Denethor in the most luxurios of silks and furs that she could. She really wanted to play up his vanity.

On the left, is the costume Pippin and Gandalf first meet him in. On the right, is the costume he changes into after Faramir has fallen. The topmost layer is a velvet robe with fur collar and cuffs on the sleeves. He wears a robe very similar from the second one at Osgiliath, though the collar is changed.

The sleeve of his "battle" robe:

The next level down on both is a textured robe with a silver embroidered collar. The point of the collar has a 4-pointed star on it. This is a staple through Denethor's costumes. You can see the yoke of the undermost layer best here, as well.

And under this: On the right is the version he wears under his armor. The sleeve is less poofy to get it into his vambraces easily and there are fewer buttons down the yoke at the top of the gown. On screen, they look like the same garment.

And, his ring:

Denethor wears the largest set of chain mail made for the films. John Noble said that it was an incredible weight to wear each day.

With this he wears vambraces, which are extremely similar to Boromir's, but bear his 4-pointed star instead of the White Tree.

And his sword, which is a beautifully ornamental piece covered in White Tree motifs:

So, any thoughts?

You can find out more at AlleyCatScratch.

Did You Ever Notice? is a discussion of the details in LotR, taking a look at one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. Look for it when you see it. :-) You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3 2008, 2:55am

Post #2 of 12 (4328 views)
Shortcut
Is there a reason for the four-pointed star? [In reply to] Can't Post

That symbol doesn't ring any bells with me from the book, and I can't think of any significance from Denethor's history.

As for the clothing itself, I *love* the raise cuff of the sleeve on his battle robe. The look of the Elves' long sleeves is gorgeous but it's a bit restricting to always have to hold your arms half-folded if you want use of your hands - whereas Denethor's battle robe would be very easy to wear while eating dinner. ;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 3 2008, 3:50am

Post #3 of 12 (4271 views)
Shortcut
Did the standard of Elendil have four pointed stars? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheesh I just read about it in The Battle of Pelennor Fields... dang memory, *fumbles for book* ah, nope 7 stars, no mention of how many points.

Elven
Valinor

Oct 3 2008, 6:22am

Post #4 of 12 (4275 views)
Shortcut
Ngila certainly got his look right ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about Denethor matched his surroundings - his salt and pepper hair and his 'charcoal' clothes, the hall he sat in, the ruins he walked through ... if the backdrop was different, like the green grasses, he looked out of place.
His costume certainly says 'look at me!'
My favourite cloak is the fur lined one - I hope it was fake fur though - but Im thinking it might not be ...Frown ..note to Ngila - no real fur please.

that chainmaille looks incredible!
Denethor always looked so 'bulked up' like his clothes made him a 'bigger' man.
and his outfit does remind me of Grimas.

Thanks for yet another great look at the costumes Arwens Daughter!
Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2008, 1:17pm

Post #5 of 12 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like Denethor's costume. It seemed so right for him.

They certainly put a lot of work that was never seen into the costumes. The embroidery was spectacular. I wonder if it was machine or hand work.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3 2008, 4:44pm

Post #6 of 12 (4278 views)
Shortcut
Stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ngila really did achieve the luxurious look, but it's all in dark colours. It really suits the character!

I noticed the vambracers resembling Boromir's except for the markings. I think Faramir's also have the white tree on them. I don't have time to look... but isn't that the same star that's on the cover of Bilbo's Red Book?

Excellent, as Always!! THANKS!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Oct 3 2008, 5:21pm

Post #7 of 12 (4257 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE Denethor's costumes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutly love all of Denethor's costumes! They totally and completely match his personality in every way.
I never noticed the four pointed star though. I wonder if it is significant or just there to look pretty... *will have to watch out for any mention of it from now on*
And I'm SO glad I wasn't the one who had to wear all the chain mail! It looks like it would be torture just to put on!

~ Henoluin ~

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2008, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 12 (4243 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed most of this- from the difference in robes to the chainmail to the four-pointed star. I simply never noticed it! It's wonderful how much detail they put in the costumes in the film, and this really shows. I mean, look at Denethor's sword- he never uses it, and it is still absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the great costume thread.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2008, 12:51am

Post #9 of 12 (4254 views)
Shortcut
That brown fur [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like rabbit or possum to me - both pests in NZ. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake, given that the film is for an international audience.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 4 2008, 3:48pm

Post #10 of 12 (4216 views)
Shortcut
on the sword... [In reply to] Can't Post

A dear friend of mine got to see John Noble at a convention and I remember her telling me that he talked specifically about the sword -- about how intricate and well made it was, and how he carried it with him, but it was never seen on camera.

I've got to believe that wearing an outfit like this, and details like having a "real" sword that is a prop designed just for you would contribute a lot to having the actors take these "fantasy" roles very seriously.

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

Oct 7 2008, 4:00pm

Post #11 of 12 (4204 views)
Shortcut
I didnt realize ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... possums were pests in NZ Frown - they're all over the place here, and protected ...
as for bunnies, well there not well like here either ...

Hope its fake ..

Thanks Ataahua
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.
Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 7 2008, 7:31pm

Post #12 of 12 (4258 views)
Shortcut
That's because [In reply to] Can't Post

Australia has a surfeit of predators to keep the possum population in check. Here, New Zealand is one big buffet table with the possums only having to worry about getting their fur wet. The poisoning and shooting programmes in place are making a difference in some areas but we'll never get rid of the little *rude word deleted*.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.