Alan Lee Discussion #9 - Main Characters

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2007, 12:48pm

Post #1 of 12 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee Discussion #9 - Main Characters Can't Post

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
AL Quote: "…my wish to avoid interfering with the pictures being built up in the reader's mind, which tends to be more closely focused on characters and their inter-relationships. I felt my task lay in shadowing the heroes on their epic quest, often at a distance, closing in on them at times of heightened emotion but avoiding trying to re-create the dramatic highpoints of the text." — Alan Lee ,Sketchbook, p

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Hobbit

In a hole there lived a Hobbit

Studies of Bilbo (my title) – Sketchbook p12-13

So he trotted along with his little sword in front of him

"Mr. Baggins! Here is the first payment..."

"Who are you, and of what would you parley?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Lord of the Rings

Preliminary sketch for Frodo and Gandalf painting

Frodo and Gandalf

Draft for Frodo and Gandalf (my lable)

Study of Frodo (my lable)

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
AL Quote on Frodo: 'When we first meet Frodo he is thirty-three, and just 'coming of age', though it is seventeen years later that his quest really begins. In my illustrations he looked quite a bit younger; being unsure of the rate at which hobbits mature, I kept him in a state if indeterminate youth, alongside Gandalf's indeterminate old age. Gandalf, as a Maia, is immortal, but he has inhabited his present body for around two thousand years." — Sketchbook p14
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Frodo with Pipe (my lable)

========================
Q: is this Frodo or some other Hobbit. I only guessed it was Frodo by his appearance. But I can't picture Frodo with a pipe…did he smoke?
========================

Study of Two Hobbits (my title)
(from Lord of the Rings Sketchbook)
========================
Q: Who do you think these two Hobbits are and what makes you think so?
========================

The chase of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli

Theoden and Wormtongue

AL Quote: "…a timeless drama is played out as the forces of decay and corruption are banished an the king restored to health. In Théoden's recovery there are echoes of the grail-quest story of the Fisher King, whose wound can only be healed by the right words, the questions of a seeker after truth. With the healing of the king the wasteland that he presides over is mad fertile again, and the citizens given new hope.
The confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman's agent, Grima Wormtongue, carries strong resonances…the manipulative counselor, exerting power from behind the throne, and the struggle between honest and deceit for the soul of a nation are part of a pattern we all recognize . . . or perhaps it is just that I'm writing this in the middle of a general election campaign."
— Sketchbook, p 95

Lady Eowyn and Aragorn take leave

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
AL Quote: "I sometimes get people to model for me, if the pose isn't going to be too demanding. An example would be the illustration of Aragorn and Éowyn saying farewell at Dunharrow. I got two friends - father and daughter - to stand holding a cup between them. I didn't pay them; Eric enjoyed having the opportunity to stare into his daughters eyes for half an hour or so. Heren Istarion
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Preliminary Study

Text Quote: "…he was about to leap into the saddle, when the Lady Éowyn came to bid them farewell. She was clad as a Rider and girt with a sword. In her and she bore a cup, and se set it to her lips and drank a little, wishing them good speed; and then she gave the cup to Aragorn, and he drank, and he said: 'Farewell, Lady of Rohan: I drink to the fortunes of your House, and of you, and of all your people, Say to your brother: beyond the shadows we may meet again!" — Then it seemed to Gimli and Legolas …that she wept and one so stern and proud that seemed the more grievous…"

Bilbo in Rivendell

Text Quote: "First of all …the hobbits went in search of Bilbo. They found him all alone in his little room. It was littered with papers and pens and pencils; but Bilbo was sitting in a chair before a small bright fire. He looked very old, but peaceful, and sleepy…."Hullo, hullo!...So you've come back? And tomorrow's my birthday, too. How clever of you! Do you know I shall be one hundred and twenty-nine? And in one year more…I shall beat equal the Old Took. I should like to beat him but we shall see.'"

====================
Q: For any of the main Characters, of your choosing, describe first what your impression is of what that character is like, what is your take on him/her (their essence, nature characteristics). Describe in what ways Alan Lee breaths life into that character, not just in the outer appearance, of the character, but also the inner essence of that character. And, in what ways does or doesn't fulfill or surpass or defy your own impressions?
====================

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alan Lee Discussion week: starts March 25th in the Reading Room
Discussion Ideas, Alan Lee–Introduction, Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory
Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

drogo
Lorien

Mar 29 2007, 1:22pm

Post #2 of 12 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Frodo smoking [In reply to] Can't Post

I did some digging in reference to your question, and as far as I can tell, the only place in which Frodo is mentioned in connection to smoking is when Saruman/Sharkey asks if Frodo would give him some pipe-weed; Frodo replies, "I would, if I had any."

He's certainly not a smoker on the order of Gandalf, Merry, or Pippin, but I would be surprised if he did not some. Tolkien was a smoker and drinker, and had none of our moder "hang-ups" about such "vices." But the Elves avoided it, and Frodo is always somewhat "Elven" in his demeanor, so maybe he doesn't smoke, or rarely smokes (by hobbit standards).

Now Lee's hobbits are also somewhat juvenile or vaguely childlike in appearance, though not as much as my precious Hildebrandt babies. Using Lee's Frodo as a model, it is easy to see why Elijah Wood would fit the bill. I don't know, though, if I really agree with his depictions. Bilbo looks a bit too young and pixie-like, more like a figure out of Brian Froud's goblin and fairy paintings than a bourgeois, middle-aged hobbit.

I really don't think any artist quite captures the hobbits: they are either too sweet or too earthy (Nasmith's crinkled hobbits come to mind) or too roly-poly and comical.

Attack of the Hildebrandt Hobbits!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 29 2007, 3:17pm

Post #3 of 12 (1195 views)
Shortcut
A general comment on Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure where this belongs in the discussion, but it struck me looking at these photos, so I'll make it here.

I *love* Lee's conceptions of characters and places. I don't love his gloomy use of light and color. When I see his pencil sketches I think "Yes, perfect!" But when I see his paintings I wish for more light, especially in Hobbiton.

What would make a perfect illustration for me would be someone who could mix the way Lee visualizes Middle Earth and the color and light of the Hildebrandts. (Forgive me, squire, for mentioning both in the same breath.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 29 2007, 3:21pm)

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 29 2007, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 12 (1179 views)
Shortcut
The Aragorn, Eowyn leavetaking picture [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of my favorite works of Tolkien art. Aragorn's grave expression, the wistful look on Eowyn's face, and the way their hands are touching capture the moment beautifully. Thank you for sharing the black and white preliminary version, which I had never seen.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 29 2007, 10:30pm

Post #5 of 12 (1175 views)
Shortcut
See my comments during this discussion, and [In reply to] Can't Post

particularly here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...view_expanded;#12931

You can substitute the Hildebrandts for Disney if you like, although I do agree with squire that the Hildebrandts also had technical flaws that put them well below the Disney animators in sheer artistic ability. That's a long way of saying I agree, but also of noting that perhaps the selection of Lee as the Tolkien Estate's illustrator of choice reveals that Christopher Tolkien's tastes are different from his father's.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2007, 2:16am

Post #6 of 12 (1153 views)
Shortcut
you can find it in [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee. It is not just movie art in there. And it is wonderful. I am such a proud owner of it, signature and all.

You can probably get it second hand at Amazon.

and you are so very welcome. That makes staying up late worth it.

I dabated scanning it...I have so much...where do I stop? What a conundrum! But what's not to love!

Discussion Ideas, Alan Lee–Introduction, Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 30 2007, 2:23am

Post #7 of 12 (1161 views)
Shortcut
The characters look gritty, [In reply to] Can't Post

which, I am sure, is the idea. The atmosphere of Middle Earth that Lee paints is that of northern Europe: cold, and damp, and with limited technology for insulation, and thus more or less everybody has to wear heavy clothes more or less all of the time. This is quite unlike the ME that I envision, in which parts of it are quite warm. Tolkien thought, and the text agrees, that Gondor feels like Italy, which is indeed quite warm.

Generally, the characters look gritty and realistic, not heroic. This is a look that Lee manages to accomplish and it is effective - Peter Jackson accomplished this very well also in his movies. These are supposed to be heroic characters, or at least the heroes of the story, but they seem like ordinary people in extraordinary situations succeeding as a result of perserverance rather than capacity, and luck or, if you will, Providence, rather than skill. They are hardly the glamorous heroes so common in fantasy; they look like they live in the Dark Ages, except for the wonderfully fantastical image of Barad-dur in the previous post, which looks appropriately like something the Evil Overlord handbook specifically would warn against.

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2007, 2:43am

Post #8 of 12 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Lee & the Hildebrandt's work in [In reply to] Can't Post

...entirely different medium, so they get entirely different affects. By some strange chance you might be interested, I explained this here:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

All the same, it makes sense that you desire a more vibrant appearance especially in certain parts of the story. Curious explains it very well in three separate responses in the #3 Landscapes thread.

I agree that his 'conceptions of characters and places' are wonderful.
thanks for participating.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2007, 2:57am

Post #9 of 12 (1164 views)
Shortcut
I get the feeling that [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo was being sincerely polite to Saruman trying to hold out hope of his redemption and he might have said that even if he didn't smoke. :-)

Your assessment of whether Frodo smoked makes perfect sense and aligns with my guesses.

I agree with the youthful appearance part. but I wonder what does a middle-aged hobbit really look like with the don't mature till 33 and often live to be 100. I picture a hobbit 50 to be like our 30...sort of. But I agree they seem a tad too young.

Though I don't mind too much. I do agree with Lee that he is "...in a state if indeterminate youth, alongside Gandalf's indeterminate old age."

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 30 2007, 11:09am

Post #10 of 12 (1159 views)
Shortcut
That's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I *love* Lee's conceptions of characters and places. I don't love his gloomy use of light and color. When I see his pencil sketches I think "Yes, perfect!" But when I see his paintings I wish for more light, especially in Hobbiton.

You've nailed what my problem with Alan Lee's stuff is. I agree his pencil stuff is amazing, but once it's coloured it's just too mottled, or shadowed, or grey and rainy... That's what comes of living in the West Country I guess!!! Smile

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Mar 30 2007, 11:37am

Post #11 of 12 (1156 views)
Shortcut
My opinion on color. [In reply to] Can't Post

From my perspective I think Alan Lee's use of color captures the historical quality of The Lord of the Rings. If the paintings were bright wth full colors it might create a greater sense of fantasy which ignores the mature nature of Tolkien's legend.

You also point out the use of color as gloomy; But isn't LotR a book about the loss of nature and life from the perspectives of the Elves, Hobbits and mythic legends of mankind? The loss of color speaks of that to me.

But that is how I see it anyway!

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 1 2007, 8:36pm

Post #12 of 12 (1179 views)
Shortcut
I like Lee's Bilbo and Frodo, but I wish all his characters had more expression. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Bilbo's receding hairline, weak chin, and sunken chest, particularly when Thorin is dressing him in armor. In one of the sketches of Frodo he looks a bit too much like Bilbo, but in the finished version he looks like a younger version, with smoother skin and more hair. The hobbits could have been a bit chubbier, I suppose, and of course I prefer genuinely furry feet, but on the whole I like them.

My problem with many of Lee's portraits is that the characters often show little expression. They are like the people in old photos, back before snapshots, when no one smiled and everyone held the same expressionless pose for several minutes. A master portrait artist can show us what the characters are feeling, or at least show us that they are feeling, even if, as with Da Vinci's portrait of Mona Lisa, we aren't sure exactly what they are feeling.

Ian McKellen was a master of this art, not as an illustrator, of course, but as an actor. Despite heavy makeup, he could show us his emotions without saying a word through subtle manipulation of his face. Lee's characters seem a bit wooden, I'm afraid, even if their looks are perfectly appropriate.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.