Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
“Never let your name be found in a dead man’s trousers.”: The Weekly Book Review Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 25 2008, 4:14am

Post #26 of 45 (798 views)
Shortcut
Just finished, Moses - Pharaoh of Egypt [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mystery of Akhenaten Resolved by Ahmed Osman. He raises some interesting, thought provoking theories, definitely worth the read.

And also just finished, Hiding from the Light by Barbara Erskine, spooky novel that switches between modern time and the 1600's during the time of the witch hunts. Pretty horrible what they used to do to those old women.

About to start, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This is his first novel and this dedication really caught my eye "To my mother, who taught me to love books and opened the door to Narnia, Pern and Middle Earth." It sounds interesting too "There is a legend of a man of many names, of many talents. A musician, beggar, thief, student, alchemist and assassin. He is Maedre. He is E'lir - the clever one - he is Shadicar, Lightfinger and Six-String. But he is best known as Kvothe, Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, Kvothe the Kingkiller." Sounds interesting Wink

Cheers
Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2008, 4:25am

Post #27 of 45 (762 views)
Shortcut
Most of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read: Chocolat, The Lollipop Shoes, Blackberry Wine, Five Quarters of an Orange, Gentlemen and Players and two with recipes from South France. I would say Harris is a good writer. I am phylologist and picky when it comes to writing. She is a photographer if I can put it this way - lots of color, magic, feeling, sense, scent in her writing. The moment is caught. It is still a slow writing I think. If you like authors who paint pictures and take their time doing so, then you'll probably like it. Not complicated or philosofical, though. She writes about everyday life but a pinch of magic accompanies it. In my opinion Five Quarters is the best. Chocolat takes the second place. After these two she just pushed it hard to get more money and it's obvious, I think. Gentlemen and Players has a very different plot, so I wouldn't put it in this chart at all. I liked it quite a bit.

I believe

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2008, 4:39am

Post #28 of 45 (761 views)
Shortcut
Was Akhenaten the one [In reply to] Can't Post

who tried to change Egyptian religious practice from worship of a pantheon to worship of a single god?

The name rings a bell...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 25 2008, 5:23am

Post #29 of 45 (769 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Also husband of Nefertiti and possibly father of Tutankhamen. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

http://mallika.vox.com/

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 25 2008, 5:30am

Post #30 of 45 (766 views)
Shortcut
Ngaio Marsh, and a strange little book about...a hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

In honor of The Birthday, I have decided to read The Books again, and I'm starting with The Hobbit this time. I haven't actually read the print version of The Hobbit in a number of years, although I have listened to the audio book once or twice.

I also read False Scent by Ngaio Marsh. What a contrast to the silly, fluffy, sloppy stuff I've been reading the last few weeks. I read a critique recently that said Marsh's plots are formulaic and predictable, and maybe that's true, but she's such a good writer that it doesn't matter. A formulaic plot in the hands of a truly talented writer still gets high marks from me, while a unique plot from a hack writer will go nowhere.

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

http://mallika.vox.com/

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 25 2008, 10:05am

Post #31 of 45 (786 views)
Shortcut
HAH! I'm not stepping virtual foot into that forum. LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, perhaps you have found a site that out-nerds us.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Call Her Emily

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 25 2008, 12:57pm

Post #32 of 45 (768 views)
Shortcut
North and South [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband has deleted it twice now from our Netflix list, thinking the same thing. He's exasperated anyway by all my "pomp and circumstance" movies as he calls them. Smile

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Annael
Immortal

Sep 25 2008, 1:54pm

Post #33 of 45 (763 views)
Shortcut
that's lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

must find that. I sent the bit about the sentimental Scottish American to my half-Scottish father, who is one of those who lurks in graveyards looking for the family names on tombstones.

"For from joy all beings are born, by joy they are sustained, and into joy they enter after death."
- the Taittiriya Upanishad

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 25 2008, 2:52pm

Post #34 of 45 (763 views)
Shortcut
I love Morton's writing [In reply to] Can't Post

His "In Search of Scotland" is one of my favorites. I've spent a good portion of my life searching for Scotland too, both physically and literarily.

I remember the passages you've copied here, but then, I remember another one, where he describes the unmitigated horror of a man being unemployed and having to live on his wife's salary, how demeaning it is to accept money from a woman. I think times have changed a bit since he wrote that.

Yes, the hobbits are staunch little Anglo-Saxons, aren't they? I've always seen the elves as Celts, breaking into song, emoting, dying of broken hearts, etc. Smile

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 25 2008, 3:42pm

Post #35 of 45 (747 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

In that case, your father would definitely love this book!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 25 2008, 3:43pm

Post #36 of 45 (777 views)
Shortcut
It's true, the book is dated in some ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

but that's part of its charm. It's a different view of the world. Can't wait to read more of Morton! Smile

I agree that the elves seem Celtic. I'm half and half myself - literally part Scot, part Anglo-saxon - and it shows. Sometimes and about some things I'm very reserved; other times, not so much... Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 25 2008, 4:28pm

Post #37 of 45 (745 views)
Shortcut
Me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm part Scot and part Anglo-Saxon, sometimes very reserved, sometimes not. Get me at our local Scottish Festival and I'm jumping up and down and hooting. Tongue

That's one of the charms of an older book, isn't it, the assumptions of the time period. Makes you wonder what assumptions we're making today that future generations will be questioning and even discarding.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2008, 6:09pm

Post #38 of 45 (756 views)
Shortcut
I'm going back [In reply to] Can't Post

and rereading a few of my childhood favourites, to see if they hold the same charm. Call of the Wild didn't disappoint. Will have to pick the Story of Edgar Sawtelle up, just read the synopsis, it sounds worth a read!!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 26 2008, 4:57am

Post #39 of 45 (762 views)
Shortcut
Thought it'd be appropriate to post this here [In reply to] Can't Post

*Proud Mummy Moment*

My Eldest Son is Reading THE HOBBIT!!!! YESSSSSSSS! The baton is passed to the third generation CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Aerin
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2008, 6:07am

Post #40 of 45 (736 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us know what he thinks of it!

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 26 2008, 10:19am

Post #41 of 45 (743 views)
Shortcut
The Road goes ever on and on! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Call Her Emily

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2008, 3:33pm

Post #42 of 45 (742 views)
Shortcut
"Sinner" by Ted Dekker... [In reply to] Can't Post

First, to explain its setting, it's loosely connected to his "Circle" novels (which include the Circle Trilogy-- Black, Red, and White; the Lost Books-- Chosen, Infidel, Renegade, and Chaos; and the final Circle novel, Green, which will come out late next year). The "Circle" books have have to be read in that order, however Dekker's three "Paradise" novels (of which Sinner is one) can be read in any order and either before or after you know about the "Circle" stuff. (Yep, Dekker's a prolific author-- I haven't even mentioned his non-Circle-related novels! :) )

Anyway, to get back to Sinner itself :) -- it's a part-fantasy, part-reality, pre-End-Times thriller. (It's not a kid's book, as you might guess. :) ) Sinner just might be his most important work to date; after reading it, all I can say is "Wow".

If you'd like to know more about Ted Dekker and his novels, read his (quite interesting) blog, or etc., his site is www.teddekker.com .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on Sep 26 2008, 3:35pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 26 2008, 4:04pm

Post #43 of 45 (721 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that great? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if my son ever read the Hobbit or LotR; I read them out loud to my kids. But my daughter read LotR when she was about 12, I think, and wrote a book report in the form of an epic poem. She also took her paperback books and, with my help, bound them as hardcover books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

almas_sparks
Rohan

Sep 27 2008, 6:22pm

Post #44 of 45 (733 views)
Shortcut
recent reads [In reply to] Can't Post

Breaking Dawn, fourth in Twilight saga. F-. Worst book ever.Any fanfic is better than this. Makes Eragon and Eldest seem like Pulitzer winners.

World War Z. A. Loved it.Very unique take on zombie invasion told from various POVs (including Spielberg-like director).

Shantaram. B. Too long for its own good and having the worst Mary Sue female character ever since Twilight and fanfiction, but is overall very detailed insight into Mumbai underground and the city itself. Made me wanna travel there ASAP.

Bunny Tales. C+. Ex-Bunny dishes the dirt on Heff and Playboy Mansion tenants and visitors (most of whom appear on Girls Next Door). Not trashy enough for this kind of literature.Like, it spends too much time on the main heroine`s college years beating us over the head with the "I`m smart" message. It`s titled Bunny Tales,hello, give us bunnies not bookworms!Laugh

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Sep 27 2008, 6:23pm)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2008, 5:11am

Post #45 of 45 (749 views)
Shortcut
I loved World War Z too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Frodo?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.