Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - September 19

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2008, 8:36am

Post #1 of 18 (1212 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 19 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 19, 3018
(not from the appendices)
1. Gandalf comes to Edoras as a beggar, and is refused admittance.
(from the appendices)
..."'...[Gwaihir] set me down in the land of Rohan ere dawn... ...In Rohan I found evil already at work: the lies of Saruman...'"
... [Éomer recounts:] "Indeed since his last coming in the summer all things have gone amiss. At that time our trouble with Saruman began. Until then we counted Saruman our friend, but Gandalf came then and warned us that sudden war was preparing in Isengard. He said that he himself had been a prisoner in Orthanc and had hardly escaped, and he begged for help. But Théoden would not listen to him, and he went away."

September 19, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Elrond and his people, Gandalf and the hobbits continue at their leisure on their journey to Rivendell as Saruman makes his way to the Shire.

September 19, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Life seems to return to normal in the Shire.
..."All thing now went well, with hope always of becoming still better; and Sam was as busy and as full of delight as even a hobbit could wish. Nothing for him marred that whole year, except for some vague anxiety about his master. Frodo dropped quietly out of all the doings of the Shire, and Sam was pained to notice how little honour he had in his own country. Few people knew or wanted to know about his deeds and adventures; their admiration and respect were given mostly to Mr. Meriadoc and Mr. Peregrin and (if Sam had known it) to himself. Also in the autumn there appeared a shadow of old troubles."

September 19, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo quietly makes plans.
... "Little Elanor was nearly six months old, and 1421 had passed to its autumn, when Frodo called Sam into the study.
...'It will be Bilbo's Birthday on Thursday, Sam,' he said. 'And he will pass the Old Took. He will be a hundred and thirty-one!'
...'So he will!' said Sam. 'He's a marvel!'
...'Well, Sam,' said Frodo, 'I want you to see Rose and find out if she can spare you, so that you and I can go off together. You can't go far or for a long time now, of course,' he said a little wistfully.
...'Well, not very well, Mr. Frodo.'
...'Of course not. But never mind. You can see me on my way. Tell Rose that you won't be away very long, not more than a fortnight; and you'll come back quite safe.'
...'I wish I could go all the way with you to Rivendell, Mr. Frodo, and see Mr. Bilbo,' said Sam. 'And yet the only place I really want to be in is here. I am that torn in two.'
...'Poor Sam! It will feel like that, I am afraid,' said Frodo. 'But you will be healed. You were meant to be solid and whole, and you will be.'"

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2008, 10:39am

Post #2 of 18 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Poor Sam... [In reply to] Can't Post

He did think that last journey was going to be out to Rivendell, didn't he! Away for a fortnight: let's see, seven days out, riding, would have gotten them out beyond Bree but not quite to Weathertop, although it's more likely Sam thought they'd spend a couple days at the Prancing Pony before parting ways.

It never crossed his mind, that their way would go west, not east...

Considering how folk who are simple-minded tend to be impressed by the flashy stuff, it's no wonder that the Hobbits admired the tall Merry and Pippin, especially when in their "outlandish" outfits, and of course they would have respect for their own down-to-earth sensible Mayor Sam!

But the Ring takes its toll on its bearers...and Frodo, even though he had temporarily been Mayor and involved in the doings of the Shire, knew that he had to begin making Sam his heir in all things, including the responsibility for the well-being of their beloved land, and himself step back, and like the Elves, dwindle...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2008, 2:08pm

Post #3 of 18 (1117 views)
Shortcut
It never dawned on Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

that Frodo would leave Middle-earth. They'd made it back. They'd survived. The Shire was restored... but not Frodo.

Merry and Pippin wore their gear like badges, almost flaunting their "adventure". Of course, however, the other hobbits would look on the influence from the "outside" much differently after the invasion and devastation.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20 2008, 1:34pm

Post #4 of 18 (1071 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf gains entrance to Edoras.
(from the appendices)
...Théoden commands him to go: 'Take any horse, only be gone ere tomorrow is old!'
..."'...the king of the land would not listen to my warnings. He bade me take a horse and be gone; and I chose one much to my liking, but little to his. I took the best horse in his land, and I have never seen the like of him.'"

2. It's busy at Bag End.
..."On September 20th two covered carts went off laden to Buckland, conveying the furniture and goods that Frodo had not sold to his new home, by way of the Brandywine Bridge."

September 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
...The Travellers approach the moors leading to the Valley of Rivendell as Saruman passes the borders of the Shire.

September 20, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
..."In the next day or two Frodo went through his papers and his writings with Sam, and he handed over his keys. There was a big book with plain red leather covers; its tall pages were now almost filled. At the beginning there were many leaves covered with Bilbo's thin wandering hand; but most of it was written in Frodo's firm flowing script. It was divided into chapters but Chapter 80 was unfinished, and after that were some blank leaves. The title page had many titles on it, crossed out one after another, so:

My diary. My Unexpected Journey. There and Back Again. And What Happened After.

...Adventures of Five Hobbits. The Tale of the Great Ring, compiled by Bilbo Baggins from his own observations and the accounts of his friends. What we did in the War of the Ring.

Here Bilbo's hand ended and Frodo had written:

THE DOWNFALL

OF THE

LORD OF THE RINGS

AND THE

RETURN OF THE KING

(as seen by the Little People; being the memoirs of Bilbo and Frodo of the Shire, supplemented by the accounts of their friends and the learning of the Wise.)

Together with extracts from Books of Lore translated by Bilbo in Rivendell.

...'Why, you have nearly finished it, Mr. Frodo!' Sam exclaimed. "Well, you have kept at it, I must say.'
...'I have quite finished, Sam,' said Frodo. 'The last pages are for you.'"

sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 20 2008, 1:37pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2008, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 18 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I love Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden tells him to take 'any horse'- not very wise of Theoden! He should have known that Gandalf would have taken the best horse around. Laugh That part still cracks me up.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 20 2008, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 18 (1045 views)
Shortcut
I was just struck curious [In reply to] Can't Post

as to not only the mare (and color) of Shadowfax, but to the color of Felarof (believed that it was Orome that brought him from Valinor), but also the whole color line of the Mearas. Does anyone know of any such reference in the Sil? Any conjecture?

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2008, 3:43am

Post #7 of 18 (1640 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 21, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo makes a discovery.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
"One day, nosing and wandering about, Bilbo discovered a very interesting thing: the great gates were not the only entrance to the caves. A stream flowed under part of the lowest regions of the palace, and joined the Forest River some way further to the east, beyond the steep slope out of which the main mouth opened....
...When the barrels were empty the elves cast them through the trapdoors, opened the water-gate, and out the barrels floated on the stream…"

For some time Bilbo sat and thought about this water-gate, and wondered if it could be used for the escape of his friends, and at last he had the desperate beginnings of a plan…."

September 21, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
2. Bilbo and the Dwarves escape in the afternoon.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
... "…Bilbo heard the king's butler bidding the chief of the guards good-night.
... "Now come with me," he said, "and taste the new wine that has just come in. I shall be hard at work tonight clearing the cellars of the empty wood, so let us have a drink first to help the labour."

... …When he heard this Bilbo was all in a flutter, for he saw that luck was with him and he had a chance at once to try his desperate plan. He followed the two elves, until they entered a small cellar and sat down at a table on which two large flagons were set. Soon they began to drink and laugh merrily…. …Then in crept the hobbit. Very soon the chief guard had no keys…
... First he unlocked Balin's door… "You must follow me! We must all keep together and not risk getting separated. All of us must escape or none, and this is our last chance. If this is found out, goodness knows where the king will put you next, with chains on your hands and feet too, I expect. Don't argue, there's a good fellow!"
... Then off he went from door to door, until his following had grown to twelve… … At last after much blundering they came to Thorin's dungeon, far down in a deep place and fortunately not far from the cellars.
... "Upon my word!" said Thorin, when Bilbo whispered to him to come out and join his friends, "Gandalf spoke true, as usual. A pretty fine burglar you make, it seems, when the time comes. I am sure we are all for ever at your service, whatever happens after this. But what comes next?"
... Bilbo saw that the time had come to explain his idea, as far as he could; but he did not feel at all sure how the dwarves would take it. His fears were quite justified, for they did not like it a bit, and started grumbling loudly in spite of their danger.
... "We shall be bruised and battered to pieces, and drowned too, for certain!" they muttered. "We thought you had got some sensible notion, when you managed to get hold of the keys. This is a mad idea!"
... "Very well!" said Bilbo very downcast, and also rather annoyed. "Come along back to your nice cells, and I will lock you all in again, and you can sit there comfortably and think of a better plan—but I don't suppose I shall ever get hold of the keys again, even if I feel inclined to try."
... That was too much for them, and they calmed down. In the end, of course, they had to do just what Bilbo suggested…

... …They soon found thirteen [casks] with room enough for a dwarf in each. In fact some were too roomy, and as they climbed in the dwarves thought anxiously of the shaking and the bumping they would get inside, though Bilbo did his best to find straw and other stuff to pack them in as cosily as could be managed in a short time. At last twelve dwarves were stowed. Thorin had given a lot of trouble, and turned and twisted in his tub and grumbled like a large dog in a small kennel; while Balin, who came last, made a great fuss about his air-holes and said he was stifling, even before his lid was on. Bilbo had done what he could to close holes in the sides of the barrels, and to fix on all the lids as safely as could be managed, and now he was left alone again, running round putting the finishing touches to the packing, and hoping against hope that his plan could come off.
......It was just at this moment that Bilbo suddenly discovered the weak point in his plan... ...he was not in a barrel himself, nor was there anyone to pack him in, even if there had been a chance! It looked as if he would certainly lose his friends this time (nearly all of them had already disappeared through the dark...
......Now the very last barrel was being rolled to the doors! In despair and not knowing what else to do, poor little Bilbo caught hold of it and was pushed over the edge with it. Down into the water he fell, splash! into the cold dark water with the barrel on top of him.
...He came up again spluttering and clinging to the wood like a rat, but for all his efforts he could not scramble on top. Every time he tried, the barrel rolled round and ducked him under again. It was really empty, and floated light as a cork.
......The luck turned all right before long: the eddying current carried several barrels close ashore at one point and there for a while they stuck against some hidden root. Then Bilbo took the opportunity of scrambling up the side of his barrel while it was held steady against another. Up he crawled like a drowned rat, and lay on the top spread out to keep the balance as best he could. The breeze was cold but better than the water, and he hoped he would not suddenly roll off again when they started off once more... ...he found it quite as difficult to stick on as he had feared; but he managed it somehow, though it was miserably uncomfortable... ...it was like trying to ride, without bridle or stirrups, a round-bellied pony that was always thinking of rolling on the grass.
......the hurrying water of the Forest River swept all the company of casks and tubs away to the north bank... ...On the shallow shore most of the barrels ran aground, though a few went on to bump against the stony pier.
...There were people on the look-out on the banks. They quickly poled and pushed all the barrels together into the shallows, and when they had counted them they roped them together and left them till the morning. Poor dwarves! Bilbo was not so badly off now. He slipped from his barrel and waded ashore, and then sneaked along to some huts that he could see near the water's edge. He no longer thought twice about picking up a supper uninvited if he got the chance, he had been obliged to do it for so long, and he knew only too well what it was to be really hungry, not merely politely interested in the dainties of a well-filled larder. Also he had caught a glimpse of a fire through the trees, and that appealed to him with his dripping and ragged clothes clinging to him cold and clammy.
......Of course helped by his magic ring he got on very well at first, but he was given away in the end by his wet footsteps and the trail of drippings that he left wherever he went or sat; and also he began to snivel, and wherever he tried to hide he was found out by the terrific explosions of his suppressed sneezes. Very soon there was a fine commotion in the village by the riverside; but Bilbo escaped into the woods carrying a loaf and a leather bottle of wine and a pie and did not belong to him."

September 21, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Party preparations are in full swing.
..."The tents began to go up. There was a specially large pavilion, so big that the tree that grew in the field was right inside it, and stood proudly near one end, at the head of the chief table. Lanterns were hung on all its branches. More promising still (to the hobbits' mind): an enormous open-air kitchen was erected in the north corner of the field. A draught of cooks, from every inn and eating-house for miles around, arrived to supplement the dwarves and other odd folk that were quartered at Bag End. Excitement rose to its height.
...Then the weather clouded over. That was on Wednesday the eve of the Party. Anxiety was intense..."

September 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf meets Shadowfax.
(from the appendices)
..." 'There is one among them that might have been foaled in the morning of the world. The horses of the Nine cannot vie with him; tireless, swift as the flowing wind. Shadowfax they called him. By day his coat glistened like silver; and by night it is like a shade, and he passes unseen. Light is his footfall! Never before had any man mounted him, but I took him and I tamed him, and so speedily he bore me that I reached the Shire when Frodo was on the Barrow-downs, though I set out from Rohan only when he set out from Hobbiton.'"

2. Frodo continues to anticipate Gandalf's return.
..."Frodo became really anxious, and kept a constant look-out for Gandalf."

September 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They return to Rivendell.
(from the appendices)
..."At last one evening they came over the high moors, suddenly as to the travellers it always seemed, to the brink of the deep valley of Rivendell and saw far below the lamps shining in Elrond's house. And they went down and crossed the bridge and came to the doors, and all the house was filled with light and song for joy at Elrond's homecoming.
...First of all, before they had eaten or washed or even shed their cloaks, the hobbits went in search of Bilbo. They found him all alone in his little room. It was littered with papers and pens and pencils; but Bilbo was sitting in a chair before a small bright fire. He looked very old, but peaceful, and sleepy.
...He opened his eyes and looked up as they came in. 'Hullo, hullo!" He said. 'So you've come back? And tomorrow's my birthday, too. How clever of you! Do you know, I shall be one hundred and twenty-nine? And in one year more, if I am spared, I shall equal the Old Took. I should like to beat him; but we shall see.'"

2. Saruman comes to the Shire.
(from the appendices)
..."You made me laugh, you hobbit-lordlings, riding along with all those great people, so secure and so pleased with your little selves. You thought you had done very well out of it all, and could now just amble back and have a nice quiet time in the country.... ...but you must go dangling after him, dawdling and talking, and riding round twice as far as you needed. "Well," thought I, "if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson. One ill turn deserves another."

September 21, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo and Samwise set out from Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."...they set out together, Frodo on the pony that had borne him all the way from Minas Tirith, and was now called Strider: and Sam on his beloved Bill. It was a fair golden morning, and Sam did not ask where they were going: he thought he could guess."

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2008, 4:00am

Post #8 of 18 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Great thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea... but hopefully a more worldly sib will have an answer for us! *watches monitor with apprehension*

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2008, 12:17pm

Post #9 of 18 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Bruised and battered to pieces! [In reply to] Can't Post

While the Dwarves have been cozily sitting in their cells, food provided by the Elves, poor Bilbo's had to hide and scrounge and spy and use his cognitive powers to their fullest! For all their grumbling, I daresay they fairly deserve to be battered about in wooden casks!

(Yet another scene I'm looking forward to seeing...Laugh!)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2008, 12:27pm

Post #10 of 18 (1054 views)
Shortcut
"Nahar is the name of his horse, [In reply to] Can't Post

white in the sun, and shining silver at night."

I don't know what may be in the other texts; but from this, I'd say that the descendants of Oromë's horse Nahar "dwindled" a bit in color, retaining only the silver-grey color.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2008, 2:49pm

Post #11 of 18 (1070 views)
Shortcut
As evidenced by Bilbo's attempt [In reply to] Can't Post

at being "sneaky" with the Trolls, I think his experiences in "sneaking" around Thranduil's caves helped prepare him for dealing the Smaug. I think before then, he was more like Sam in his innocense (in the beginning). Here, after the spiders, trolls, Gollum, and hiding while watching for opportunities to save the others really groomed him for that ultimate confrontation with Smaug and with how to resolve the problem of the impending war between the Dwarves in the mountain and Men/Elves.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2008, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 18 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Just as Sam's [In reply to] Can't Post

having to "be in charge" the closer he and Frodo got to Mt. Doom prepared him for his leadership in the Shire on their return.

I'm expecting that those "fab four" scriptwriters are making sure that Bilbo's development and growth are showcased to perfection!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22 2008, 9:50am

Post #13 of 18 (1659 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 22 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BAGGINSES! [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 22, 2890 (S.R. 1290)
1. Birth of Bilbo in the Shire.
(from the appendices-no text)
...Bungo Baggins and Belladonna Took celebrate the birth of their only child, "Bilbo Baggins of Hobbiton, the Shire."

September 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and the barrels reach Lake-town just after sunset.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...a barrel was cut loose by Bilbo and pushed to the shore and opened. Groans came from inside, and out crept a most unhappy dwarf. Wet straw was in his draggled beard; he was so sore and stiff, so bruised and buffeted he could hardly stand or stumble through the shallow water to lie groaning on the shore....
..."Well, are you alive or are you dead?" asked Bilbo quite crossly... "...Are you still in prison, or are you free? If you want food, and if you want to go on with this silly adventure---it's yours after all and not mine---you had better slap your arms and rub your legs and try and help me get the others out while there is a chance!"

..."Well! Here we are!" said Thorin. "And I suppose we ought to thank our stars and Mr. Baggins. I am sure he has a right to expect it, though I wish he could have arranged a more comfortable journey. Still---all very much at your service once more, Mr. Baggins. No doubt we shall feel properly grateful, when we are fed and recovered. In the meanwhile what next?"
..."I suggest Lake-town," said Bilbo. "What else is there?"

..."Even Bilbo was given a seat at the high table, and no explanation of where he came in—no songs had alluded to him even in the obscurest way—was asked for in the general bustle....
...... the dwarves' good feeling towards the little hobbit grew stronger every day. There were no more groans or grumbles. They drank his health, and they patted him on the back, and they made a great fuss of him; which was just as well, for he was not feeling particularly cheerful. He had not forgotten the look of the Mountain, nor the thought of the dragon, and he had besides a shocking cold... ...his speeches at banquets were limited to "Thag you very buch.""

September 22, 2968 (1368)
1. Birth of Frodo in the Shire.
...Drogo Baggins and Primula Brandybuck celebrate the birth of their only child, "Frodo Baggins of Buckland, the Shire."

September 22, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. A long expected party!!
[Bilbo is eleventy-one and Frodo is thirty-three]
..."The sun got up, the clouds vanished, flags were unfurled and the fun began.
...Bilbo met the guests (and additions) at the new white gate in person. He gave away presents to all and sundry—the latter were those who went out again by the back way and came in again by the gate. Hobbits give presents to other people on their own birthdays....
......There were three official meals: lunch, tea, and dinner (or supper). But lunch and tea were marked chiefly by the fact that at those times all the guests were sitting down and eating together. At other times there were merely lots of people eating and drinking—continuously from elevenses until six-thirty, when the fireworks started.
...The fireworks were by Gandalf: they were not only brought by him, but designed and made by him; and the special effects, set pieces, and flights of rockets were let off by him. But there was also a generous distribution of squibs, crackers, backarappers, sparklers, torches, dwarf-candles, elf-fountains, goblin-barkers and thunder-claps. They were all superb. The art of Gandalf improved with age.
...There were rockets like a flight of scintillating birds singing with sweet voices. There were green trees with trunks of dark smoke: their leaves opened like a whole spring unfolding in a moment, and their shining branches dropped glowing flowers down upon the astonished hobbits, disappearing with a sweet scent just before they touched their upturned faces. There were fountains of butterflies that flew glittering into the trees; there were pillars of coloured fires that rose and turned into eagles, or sailing ships, or a phalanx of flying swans; there was a red thunderstorm and a shower of yellow rain; there was a forest of silver spears that sprang suddenly into the air with a yell like an embattled army, and came down again into the Water with a hiss like a hundred hot snakes. And there was also one last surprise, in honour of Bilbo, and it startled the hobbits exceedingly, as Gandalf intended. The lights were out. A great smoke went up. It shaped itself like a fountain seen in the distance, and began to flow at the summit. It sprouted green and scarlet flames. Out flew a red-golden dragon—not life-size, but terribly life-like: fire came from his jaws, his eyes glared down; there was a roar, and he whizzed three times over the heads of the crowd. They all ducked, and many fell flat on their faces. The dragon passed like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a deafening explosion.
...'That is the signal for supper!' said Bilbo. The pain and alarm vanished at once, and the prostrate hobbits leaped to their feet..."

...After the feast (more or less) came the Speech. Most of the company were, however, now in a tolerant mood, at that delightful stage which they called 'filling up the corners'. They were sipping their favourite drinks, and nibbling at their favourite dainties, and their fears were forgotten. They were prepared to listen to anything, and to cheer at every full stop.
...'My dear People,' began Bilbo, rising in his place. 'Hear! Hear! Hear!' they shouted, and kept on repeating it in chorus, seeming reluctant to follow their own advice. Bilbo left his place and went and stood on a chair under the illuminated tree. The light of the lanterns fell on his beaming face; the golden buttons shone on his embroidered silk waistcoat. They could all see him standing, waving one hand in the air, and the other was in his trouser-pocket.
...'My dear Bagginses and Boffins, he began again; and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks, and Grubbs, and Chubbs, and Burrowses, and Hornblowers, and Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses and Proudfoots.'
...'ProudFEET!' shouted an elderly hobbit from the back of the pavilion. His name, of course, was Proudfoot, and well merited; his feet were large, exceptionally furry, and both were on the table.
...'Proudfoots, ' repeated Bilbo. 'Also my good Sackville-Bagginses that I welcome back at last to Bag End. Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday: I am eleventy-one today!'
... 'Hurray! Hurray! Many Happy Returns!' they shouted, and they hammered joyously on the tables. Bilbo was doing splendidly. This was the sort of stuff they like: short and obvious.
...'I hope you are all enjoying yourselves as much as I am.' Deafening cheers. Cries of YES (and NO). Noises of trumpets and horns, pipes and flutes, and other musical instruments. There were, as has been said, many young hobbits present. Hundreds of musical crackers had been pulled. Most of them bore the mark DALE on them; which did not convey much to most of the hobbits, but they all agreed they were marvellous crackers. They contained instruments, small, but of perfect make and enchanting tones. In deed, in one corner some of the young Tooks and Brandybucks, supposing Uncle Bilbo to have finished (since he had plainly said all that was necessary), now got up an impromptu orchestra, and began a merry dance-tune. Master Everard Took and Miss Melilot Brandybuck got on a table and with bells in their hands began to dance the Springle-ring: a pretty dance, but rather vigorous.
...But Bilbo had not finished. Seizing a horn from a youngster near by, he blew three loud hoots. The noise subsided. 'I shall not keep you long,' he cried. Cheers from all the assembly. 'I have called you all together for a Purpose.' Something in the way that he said this made an impression. There was almost silence, and one or two of the Tooks pricked up their ears.
...'Indeed, for Three Purposes! First of all, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that eleventy-one years is too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits.' Tremendous outburst of approval.
'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.' This was unexpected and rather difficult. There was some scattered clapping, but most of them were trying to work it out and see if it came to a compliment.

...'Secondly, to celebrate my birthday.' Cheers again. 'I should say: OUR birthday. For it is, of course, also the birthday of my heir and nephew, Frodo. He comes of age and into his inheritance today.' Some perfunctory clapping by the elders; and some loud shouts of 'Frodo! Frodo! Jolly old Frodo,' from the juniors. The Sackville-Bagginses scowled and wondered what was meant by 'coming into his inheritance'.
...'Together we score one hundred and forty-four. Your numbers were chosen to fit this remarkable total: One Gross, if I may use the expression.' No cheers. This was ridiculous. Many of the guests, and especially the Sackville-Bagginses, were insulted, feeling sure they had only been asked to fill up the required number, like goods in a package. 'One Gross, indeed! Vulgar expression!'
...'It is also, if I may be allowed to refer to ancient history, the anniversary of my arrival by barrel Esgaroth on the Long Lake; though the fact that it was my birthday slipped my memory on that occasion. I was only fifty-one then, and birthdays did not seem so important. The banquet was very splendid, however, though I had a bad cold at the time, I remember, and could only say "thag you very buch". I now repeat it more correctly: Thank you very much for coming to my little party.' Obstinate silence. They all feared that a song or some poetry was now imminent; and they were getting bored. Why couldn't he stop talking and let them drink his health? But Bilbo did not sing or recite. He paused for a moment.
...'Thirdly and finally, he said, 'I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT.' He spoke this last word so loudly and suddenly that everyone sat up who still could. 'I regret to announce that—though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you—this is the END. I am going. I am leaving NOW. GOOD-BYE!'
...He stepped down and vanished. There was a blinding flash of light, and the guests all blinked. When they opened their eyes Bilbo was nowhere to be seen. One hundred and forty-four flabbergasted hobbits sat back speechless. Old Odo Proudfoot removed his feet from the table and stamped. Then there was a dead silence, until suddenly, after several deep breath, every Baggins, Boffin, Took, Brandybuck, Grubb, Chubb, Burrows, Bolger, Bracegirdle, Brockhouse, Goodbody, Hornblower, and Proudfoot began to talk at once."

September 22, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays. Frodo leaves the Shire.
..."Thursday, his birthday morning, dawned as fair and clear as it had long ago for Bilbo's great Party. Still Gandalf did not appear. In the evening Frodo gave his farewell feast: it was quite small, just a dinner for himself and his four helpers; but he was troubled and felt in no mood for it. The thought that he would so soon have to part with his young friends weighed on his heart. He wondered how he would break it to them.
...The four younger hobbits were, however, in high spirits and the party soon became very cheerful in spite of Gandalf's absence. The dining-room was bare except for a table and chairs, but the food was good, and there was good wine: Frodo's wine had not been included in the sale of the Sackville-Bagginses.
...'Whatever happens to the rest of my stuff, when the S-Bs get their claws on it, at any rate I have found a good home for this!' said Frodo as he drained his glass. It was the last drop of Old Winyards.
...When they had sung many songs, and talked of many things they had done together, they toasted Bilbo's birthday, and they drank to his health and Frodo's together according to Frodo's custom. Then they went out for a sniff of air, and glimpse of the stars, and then they went to bed. Frodo's party was over, and Gandalf had not come."

2. The Black Riders reach Sarn Ford at evening; they drive off the guard of Rangers.
...A presence of old crept through the forest which the Ranger felt long before he heard the sound of galloping hoofs. With a rush, five Black Riders swept over him as he stood in the defence. Yet in the end he yielded to their force, feeling it prudent to alert his brethren and prepare for the battle they long sensed would come.

3. Gandalf overtakes Shadowfax.
(from the appendices)
..."I took the best horse in his land, and I have never seen the like of him.... ...Never had any man mounted him, but I took him and I tamed him..."

September 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The hundred and twenty-ninth birthday of Bilbo and Frodo's fifty-first birthday. Saruman comes to the Shire.
..."After the celebration of Bilbo's birthday the four hobbits stayed in Rivendell for some days, and they sat much with their old friend, who spent most of his time now in his room, except at meals. For these he was still very punctual as a rule, and he seldom failed to wake up in time for them. Sitting round the fire they told him in turn all that they could remember of their journeys and adventures...
......The only part that seemed really to rouse him and hold his attention was the account of the crowning and marriage of Aragorn. 'I was invited to the wedding, of course,' he said. 'And I have waited for it long enough. But somehow, when it came to it, I found I had so much to do here; and packing is such a bother.'"

2. Saruman comes to the Shire.
..."'…since Sharkey came it's been plain ruination.' [tells Farmer Cotton]
... 'Who is this Sharkey?' said Merry. 'I heard one of the ruffians speak of him.'
... 'The biggest ruffian o' the lot, seemingly,' answered Cotton. 'It was about last harvest, end o' September maybe, that we first heard of him. We've never seen him, but he's up at Big End; and he's the real Chief now, I guess. All the ruffians do what he says; and what he says is mostly: hack, burn, and ruin; and now it's come to killing. There's no longer even any bad sense in it. They cut down trees and let 'em lie, they burn houses and build no more…. … They're always a-hammering and a-letting out a smoke and a stench, and there isn't no peace even at night in Hobbiton. And they pour out filth a purpose; they've fouled all the lower Water, and it's getting down into the Brandywine. If they want to make the Shire into a desert, they're going the right way about it. I don't believe that fool of a Pimple's behind all this. It's Sharkey, I say.'"

September 22, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Bilbo's hundred and thirtieth birthday. Frodo's fifty-second birthday.
...There was a quiet gathering of friends and family at Bag End. Merry, Pippin, Rosie, Sam and Frodo enjoyed food, drink and song in front of the fire. At the end of the evening, as is Frodo's custom, they drank to Bilbo and Frodo's health. Laughter followed as stories of Bilbo's adventures were shared while Frodo fell silent and gazed into the flames.

September 22, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. They meet the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings in Woody End.
(from the appendices)
..."They camped in the Green Hills, and on September the twenty-second they rode gently down into the beginning of the trees as afternoon was wearing away.
...'If that isn't the very tree you hid behind when the Black Rider first showed up, Mr. Frodo!' said Sam pointing to the left. 'It seems like a dream now.'
...It was evening, and the stars were glimmering in the eastern sky as they passed the ruined oak and turned and went on down the hill between the hazel-thickets. Sam was silent, deep in his memories. Presently he became aware that Frodo was singing softly to himself, singing the old walking-song, but the words were not quite the same.

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

And as if in answer, from down below, coming up the road out of the valley, voices sang:

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath,
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees
The starlight on the Western Seas.

...Frodo and Sam halted and sat silent in the soft shadows, until they saw a shimmer as the travellers came towards them.
...There was Gildor and many fair Elven folk; and there to Sam's wonder rode Elrond and Galadriel. Elrond wore a mantle of grey and had a star upon his forehead, and a silver harp was in his hand, and upon his finger was a ring of gold with a great blue stone, Vilya, mightiest of the Three. But Galadriel sat upon a white palfrey and was roped all in glimmering white, like clouds about the Moon; for she herself seemed to shine with a soft light. On her finger was Nenya, the ring wrought of mithril, that bore a single white stone flickering like a frosty star. Riding slowly behind on a small grey pony, and seeming to nod in his sleep, was Bilbo himself.
......Bilbo woke up and opened his eyes. 'Hullo, Frodo!' he said. 'Well, I have passed the Old Took today! So that's settled. And now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey. Are you coming?'
...'Yes, I am coming.' said Frodo. 'The Ring-bearers should go together.'"

September 22, 3082 (S.R. 1482)
(from the appendices)
[at ninety-nine years of age] "...Master Samwise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over Sea, last of the Ring-bearers."

sample sample
Happy Birthday Bilbo and Frodo!!

TORn Party Hats
TORn party Hats deux

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22 2008, 10:45am

Post #14 of 18 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Thag you very buch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get a chuckle out of Bilbo's using that phrase at The Party; and a very memorable phrase it is! And party, as well: the Shire had never seen its like, and never would again.

*raises mug* To Bilbo and Frodo! May the hair on their toes never fall out! And may the candles on their birthday cake stop short of setting the cake on fire! Laugh

And Sam...once he set out to "do what needs to be done" on this Birthday; and at the end, he had indeed accomplished everything that he was "meant to do" in his life, except for one final thing - and so he set out on this day once again, for that last Journey...

Reepicheep Took
The Shire

Sep 22 2008, 2:17pm

Post #15 of 18 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Birthday Wishes [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Birthday BB & FB! May the Valar grant you ... stuff... Unsure

ringbearer9
Lorien

Sep 22 2008, 4:39pm

Post #16 of 18 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Aur Onnad Meren Frodo and Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Birthday wishes to you both

luvgabe
The Shire

Sep 22 2008, 6:30pm

Post #17 of 18 (1037 views)
Shortcut
power of myth [In reply to] Can't Post

How odd it is that these dates are as real, nay more real, to me than "real" dates. Such is the power of Tolkien's myth. If I could go to Middle-earth, it will take me a heartbeat to decide.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --Gandalf the Grey

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 23 2008, 3:15am

Post #18 of 18 (1061 views)
Shortcut
On a side note.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always loved how in TTT when Gandalf says "He is the lord of all horses" you can see Gimli bow. A wonderful little touch. I always wondered if that was in the script or if JRD threw that in.

(BTW, Gramma...the "secret geekfest" at work went OK today, but I had to break the rules a bit. You see, we had company over last night, and for dessert we had Lousiana crunch cake, with some kind of pineapple or coconut icing. I couldn't help sneaking some. Well, maybe there are pineapples and coconuts in HaradLaugh)

(*Can I say, "Well, I"m back"?)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.