Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Guess who makes the list of the "Best Sidekicks"?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2008, 10:05am

Post #1 of 5 (397 views)
Shortcut
Guess who makes the list of the "Best Sidekicks"? Can't Post

Yep! Good ol' Sam Gamgee!

http://movies.yahoo.com/...second-banana#photo2

Some friends send you Christmas cards and others might help you move. But how many friends will shepherd you past flying visions of evil and through the most blighted, nightmarish landscape this side of Detroit just to help you properly dispose of some jewelry? Sam would and that's why he's the gold standard of second bananas.

If anything, I'm highly amused by their choice of wording- and touched that he's one of the first guys named! Go Sam!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

(This post was edited by Ainu Laire on Sep 21 2008, 10:06am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 21 2008, 2:34pm

Post #2 of 5 (319 views)
Shortcut
Was there ever any doubt!? Go Sam! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2008, 6:35pm

Post #3 of 5 (308 views)
Shortcut
A very wise choice and of course so very true! // [In reply to] Can't Post

almas_sparks
Rohan

Sep 22 2008, 1:24am

Post #4 of 5 (307 views)
Shortcut
disagree about sidekick status [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, Sam is a hero. He has his own independent story arc, he is just as important as Frodo and while Frodo is becoming more and more passive,as the story progresses, Sam is becoming more and more active. I just don`t think he fits the classic sidekick definition at all, especially since many LOTR readers and experts agree that Sam emerges as the hero of the books. He`s a hero in my book.

ringbearer9
Lorien

Sep 22 2008, 1:48am

Post #5 of 5 (315 views)
Shortcut
Good point/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.