Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Gandalf the White's Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 16 2008, 2:29am

Post #1 of 17 (11158 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Gandalf the White's Costume? Can't Post

I love the picture above because it shows off the costume so nicely. We've looked at Gandalf's grey robes and last week we looked at Saruman's white costume. this is our last wizard costume folks.

Ian McKellen said in the EE documentaries, "This immaculately embroidered gown can never be seen. There’s no point to doing it. Other than making me believe, as I put them on, that they’re real clothes; which I do."

This costume, like the other "white" costumes on the production, is actually cream with white accents.

Gandalf's lowest layer. I hate that they take these pictures on white, so I don't know if you can spot the white suspenders.

On top of this we get a long robe of textured material. I can't find a good look at it or I'd take a better guess as to what it's made of. The robe is split front and back for riding.

And over that we add a doublet and another skirt. The doublet is quilted in gold. Again, the white on white is killing these photos! My apologies.

The quilting pattern. I pulled this graphic off of Alley Cat Scratch.

A better look at the belt.

A look at the costume minus the sword and cloak (and with the cloak, as it were). And a subtle reminder that this costume was replicated dozens of times and at two different scales.

And let's not forget the cloak, which is also embroidered with white on cream. Again, the embroidery pattern on the left was snagged from ACS.

The cloak is shaped so that the sides are a little higher than the front and back. This let's Gandalf get to and use his sword more easily without the cloak twisting around his arm.

And it's clasped with a silver brooch.

More pictures and details at AlleyCatScratch.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in the costumes of LOTR. It is a roving discussion that does not appear on any particular day or follow any particular order. You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
Screencap of the Day Schedule for September

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 16 2008, 7:41am

Post #2 of 17 (7028 views)
Shortcut
Special Magnificence [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply love the Wizard's costumes, they are all so perfectly designed and made, and quite fitting, in more ways than one.

I'm thankful there were plenty of opportunities in the films to show the variations of Gandalf the White's costume. I hated to see it so dirty most of the time, but at least it shines brightly at the coronation. And when he rides into the shire with the cloak's hood on, it looks wonderful, and seems to add to the calm feel of the scene.

Thanks again for these awesome discussions, Arwen's Daughter!

~~~~~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

Believe in the possibility of the impossible.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 8:41am

Post #3 of 17 (7039 views)
Shortcut
One of the things that made these movies truly magical [In reply to] Can't Post

Are small details that you will likely not see in the films, but can reference online (thank goodness for the web!) and in person. These costumes that you give us definitely show us a small piece of the detail put in the movies. I was going through your archives, and I was just amazed at the armour on Theoden's costume. Both the costumers and WETA went above and beyond for these films...

While I don't comment on these that often, I just wanted to say that I love reading them and that I can't wait for future installments. You haven't even hit my favorite character yet ;)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 16 2008, 12:33pm

Post #4 of 17 (7002 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful elf-work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's robes must have been made for him in Lothlórien, which I think the jewellery in particular makes clear. I think the leaf design in the quilting must be a Lothlórien thing too. Are there any design similarities (besides the colour) between Gandalf the White's costume and those of Galadriel and Celeborn, I wonder?

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 16 2008, 1:57pm

Post #5 of 17 (6990 views)
Shortcut
that outfit beats my wedding dress was... [In reply to] Can't Post

..in terms of details and style, Gandalf the W. has me beat!

Though I had nicer boots than him, IIRC...Smile

Thanks for taking the time to post the quilting and embroidery patterns...very nice!

Weaver

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 5:48pm

Post #6 of 17 (6993 views)
Shortcut
Pretty brooch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't noticed that before!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 17 2008, 12:26am

Post #7 of 17 (6989 views)
Shortcut
I like those boots. [In reply to] Can't Post

I *want* those boots!

There's just something very satisfying about this costume. I think the layers of clothing really come across on-screen, whereas with other costumes - say, Saruman's and the Nazgul - the layers aren't evident to the viewer's eye.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2008, 3:08pm

Post #8 of 17 (6998 views)
Shortcut
Stunning! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this outfit. It's great that they don't use the blinding white so we can make out the textures and embroidery. *squints at triplet pic* Why does Sir Ian have on a clunkky-looking boot? It's like they asked for the pic when he was in the middle of changing or something *snert*

That belt buckle reminds me of the top of his staff. I just can't get over the detail, the elegance, the layers of beautiful materials! This is WONDERFUL! Thanks so much Ad :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 17 2008, 4:18pm

Post #9 of 17 (6985 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, Gramma, he's wearing two different boots. Let's hope that picture wasn't meant to be published, that would be so embarassing! I remember how I felt when I as a teenie accidentally put on two different shoes (had two pairs who looked vaguely familiar and was in a hurry) and went out. After I realised, I was so embarassed that I waited the whole time for the ground to open up, so I could vanish.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 17 2008, 4:24pm

Post #10 of 17 (6936 views)
Shortcut
It's great [In reply to] Can't Post

to have a closer look at this costume. The pattern on it is beautiful, and there's nothing I can really add to Ian's comment; all that work though it was barely recognisable on film is just amazing.

Thank you for another wonderful costume post!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2008, 9:58am

Post #11 of 17 (6953 views)
Shortcut
Oh! I did that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Except it was when I was working as an educator and went out of town to do a presentation for a group of about 150 people. Two different shoes... but one had a 1/2 inch heel and the other a 1 inch. Different colours, too! I attribute the fiasco to them making me wear a dress *spasm* I was overwhelmed.

I quit that job.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 18 2008, 10:55am

Post #12 of 17 (6927 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean you had to be the center of attention? Then it's even worse! (((((Gramma)))))
My shoes at least had the same colour, but it was bad enough, walking through the city in two different shoes ... Blush

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 18 2008, 4:54pm

Post #13 of 17 (6959 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have about 45 more costumes to see, and I haven't even been through most of the Fellowship yet! I promise you we'll get to Aragorn!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 18 2008, 4:57pm

Post #14 of 17 (6941 views)
Shortcut
Nothing obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are there any design similarities (besides the colour) between Gandalf the White's costume and those of Galadriel and Celeborn, I wonder?

I don't think there's anything I can really point to and say, "This is from Lothlorien." The leaf designs and the fabric choices they make are very Elven, but everything is different enough that Gandalf's costume is still that of a wizard instead of an elf.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 18 2008, 5:04pm

Post #15 of 17 (6936 views)
Shortcut
"That belt buckle reminds me of the top of his staff" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That belt buckle reminds me of the top of his staff. I just can't get over the detail, the elegance, the layers of beautiful materials! This is WONDERFUL! Thanks so much Ad :D

Nice catch! I've never noticed that before.

In Reply To
Why does Sir Ian have on a clunkky-looking boot? It's like they asked for the pic when he was in the middle of changing or something *snert*

I've seen this pic so many times, and I still have no idea why he's wearing two different boots! Maybe they were getting him confused with his stunt double, so they had to dress him differently? Tongue

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2008, 5:04pm

Post #16 of 17 (6950 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That boot is hilarious!! A rather daring fashion statement there Sir Ian!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Artanis
Rohan

Sep 20 2008, 7:15pm

Post #17 of 17 (6965 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

It is all so luxurious. I love looking at these photos.Smile

Artanis

Reading: Waiting for the 23rd September to hurry along so I can begin my second journey to Middle Earth :-)

Listening: LOTR soundtrack, Dean Martin compliation

Random Delights: Tea, M&Ms and TORn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.