Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Who else can't spell Isildur? Isuldir? You know, what's his name...

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 15 2008, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 18 (307 views)
Shortcut
Who else can't spell Isildur? Isuldir? You know, what's his name... Can't Post

Isildur/dir is the one guy who's name I can never spell right or at least can never tell if I did spell it right...

And then there's Tol Eressea...or however that's spelled...

What about you? What Tolkien character/place names give you trouble?

Yes, I'm procrastinating on my work load today...can you tell?

Thanks to any and all who reply...

Weaver

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 15 2008, 10:33pm

Post #2 of 18 (235 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had occaision to spell his name... I just crossed myself and spelled it with two u's. I'm sure it is wrong but too busy just now to double check. Most likely it is Isuldir though.

Edit: d'oh it's Isildur according to IMDb.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 15 2008, 10:35pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 15 2008, 11:12pm

Post #3 of 18 (279 views)
Shortcut
Minis Tirith :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I spell it wrong consistently. And yet, it looks right to me!!

Ditto Dol Goldur.

LOL

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Call Her Emily

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Sep 16 2008, 12:55am

Post #4 of 18 (214 views)
Shortcut
What a great question! [In reply to] Can't Post

I pride myself on my spelling so it came as a shock when I realized that I cannot ever get Peredhil right without looking it up!
I used to say that I hated writers who created names no one could pronounce. Now I have to take it back. I LOVE Tolkien, but am not particularly fond of his tongue twisting and mind bending characters' names!

I guess this is just one more reason to keep the books close at hand!

Eruwestial

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2008, 1:00am

Post #5 of 18 (229 views)
Shortcut
I can never keep all the Finguys straight. [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't for the life of me tell you, off the top of my head, what the relationship of Fingon, Fingolfin, and Finarfin is. I'm pretty proud of myself for being able to tell Finduilas from them.

Cum bak 2 me... cum bak 2 me... & say my land iz teh r0xx0r lol.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 16 2008, 2:50am

Post #6 of 18 (209 views)
Shortcut
How is iludur spelled? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems it is always the vowels usually in the middle of the woid that raises havoc for me.
saraman
saroman
saruman

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 2:56am

Post #7 of 18 (212 views)
Shortcut
Oh, jeez, [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember them. When I was first going to read the Sil, Menelwyn was kind of giving me an overview of what to expect, and suggested making character charts. When I asked why, she explained the Valar, and then listed all of the Fin Family Members (what I usually call them in my head). No further explanation was needed; I now have excellent name charts in the back of the Sil.
And while we're on the Sil, let me just throw in any name that appears as a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, or whatever name for a place or item that's commonly called something else. (ie, Mount Everwhite, Taniquetil, Oiolosse, Amon Uilos, Elerrina..I'm sure the list goes on much longer...why does there have to be so many names?!?)

Ummm....I'm trying to think of other names. I'm sure there are others, but what mostly throws me off is when there are fifty names for one teeny tiny little thing. (Like that mound outside of Valmar...what was it called...The Green Mound? Corrollaire, or something like that. It's just a little mound, not even a hill! It doesn't need a name, let alone five!)

Interesting thread, weaver! (heh..I know I'm going to have fun reading the replies!)

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!
Site Updates:
Welcome, Morrowdim, Stormcrow20, and Aunt Dora Baggins!

Guestbook and Forum
There is also a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
The journal is in NZ!

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
- Yogi Berra

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 2:57am

Post #8 of 18 (212 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever heard it [In reply to] Can't Post

pronounced by Howard Shore? Sarah-man. He sounds like he's from the deep south. (I'm always mildly amused)

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!
Site Updates:
Welcome, Morrowdim, Stormcrow20, and Aunt Dora Baggins!

Guestbook and Forum
There is also a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
The journal is in NZ!

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
- Yogi Berra

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali

Aerin
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2008, 3:27am

Post #9 of 18 (210 views)
Shortcut
Do what I do -- [In reply to] Can't Post

Just envision Hugo Weaving as Elrond at the Crack of Doom shouting, "IH-SEEEL-DOOOR!"

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 4:17am

Post #10 of 18 (188 views)
Shortcut
me neither, in any part of my head // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 16 2008, 5:41am

Post #11 of 18 (200 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, all these F-elves! [In reply to] Can't Post

They drove me nuts, really. And then throw the rest of the family, the different names and the difference between Silmarillion family trees and the later version in HoME into the mix, plus different spelling in some cases in the German edition *groans*
Finally I spent many hours drawing up my own family tree, and just now I'm trying to sort out all these Quenya and Sindarin versions of the same name to put them into it, too. Maybe *then* I'm finally able to keep that straight Frown

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 7:47am

Post #12 of 18 (191 views)
Shortcut
Place names [In reply to] Can't Post

I can get character names down. Place names, however, I have to check and double check.

I'm not even going to try and recall how many times I spelled "Pelennor" as "Pellenor". Dol Guldur was Dol Goldur or Dol Guldor for a long while, too, until I started learning some Sindarin (Dol GULDUR is like Minas MorGUL and Barad-DUR).

Oh! And I spelt the word "Sindarin" as "Sindarian" for about 2 years. I pronounced it as such, too. Don't even know where that came from.

If anything, I am always checking the spelling and where accent marks go because I write so much fan fiction. The writing has helped me with spellings quite a bit.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 16 2008, 9:46am

Post #13 of 18 (194 views)
Shortcut
My problem [In reply to] Can't Post

was not so much how to spell names, but to remember who's who and what's what. The one name I had a lot of problems with was Caras Galadhon. I was always trying desperately to remember if it was Caras Galadhon or Calas Garadhon or Galas Caradhon or Garas Caladhon or whatever Frown. Terrible word.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 1:46pm

Post #14 of 18 (192 views)
Shortcut
There are a couple of different Finduilases, too [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion is just Fin-a-palooza!

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2008, 2:02pm

Post #15 of 18 (195 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

Only that word.
And when reading it, I totally got lost in the names.
At one time I decided I won't concentrate on the names and just read the stories. And I still have to read it again for the names, but that will come.
I'm already happy with the movies. Some names I totally mis-pronounced. But now I use the english pronunciation in stead of the Dutch, but since the book is originally in English it doesn't matter.

By the way, Hermoine from Harry Potter, always get lost in that name, that is also because in my own language it is spelled completely different.

squire
Half-elven

Sep 16 2008, 9:46pm

Post #16 of 18 (183 views)
Shortcut
My favorite one is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwhale Fingerpull

No, I can't keep them straight either. Luckily it's never on the test.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 17 2008, 2:29pm

Post #17 of 18 (166 views)
Shortcut
I always say, [In reply to] Can't Post

"Sim-a-LAR-ion" in my head.
I don't even try to say it right. My mouth just refuses to cooperate on that one.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2008, 12:59am

Post #18 of 18 (169 views)
Shortcut
I just call him Bob. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously... I have the hardest time with Saruman. I keep typing it as Saurman. *sigh* So I call him Bob, too. ;)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.