Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR OST questions (even if you've only heard it by watching the movies)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2008, 11:26pm

Post #1 of 61 (985 views)
Shortcut
LOTR OST questions (even if you've only heard it by watching the movies) Can't Post

Alright, I was debting with myself as to whether to write this post here or in the pollantir, but this is more of a free-style answer thread, so I decided on here.

Basically, I have a couple of questions for people who own (or have heard, in the movie, for example) the OST (or CR's, whatever)- answer whichever you want, and feel free to include thoughts or comments of your own.
  1. So...which are your favorite tracks (/themes), and why?
  2. Are there any themes that you like in particular?
  3. Do any tracks give you a strong emotion that you also feel watching the movies (tears, goosebumps, chills)?
  4. Which themes or tracks do you think match up with a scene from the movies (or books) the most?
  5. Do you prefer the songs with guest singers (Enya, Renee Fleming), or the instrumental ones more?
  6. Do you have much interest in soundtracks outside of LOTR? Any type of instrumental music?
  7. Do you have much interest in LOTR music outside of the OSTs? (I'm mostly thinking of the Tolkien Ensemble here)

Anyway, I was just curious about some of these questions. Personally, I love almost all soundtracks, and LOTR came second for me (I got the OST because they were good soundtracks, not necessarily because it was related to LOTR), but I realize that I'm probably in the minority on these boards, LOL. Wink

Thanks!

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!
Site Updates:
Welcome, Morrowdim, Stormcrow20, and Aunt Dora Baggins!

Guestbook and Forum
There is also a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
The journal is in NZ!

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
- Yogi Berra

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."
- Salvador Dali

(This post was edited by laerasea on Sep 12 2008, 11:31pm)

weaver
Half-elven

Sep 12 2008, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 61 (802 views)
Shortcut
My reactions vary... [In reply to] Can't Post

To give you a kind of rambling response to your questions...

There have been times that certain tracks have evoked a very strong response in me -- the Coronation music, or the Breaking of the Fellowship (the part that goes with Frodo rescuing Sam from the water) and Into the West have all had me weeping at different times. The Minas Tirith track that also includes the Lighting of the Beacons is another one that I find very powerful. So it sort of depends on what's going on in my life as to what I'm attracted to in the soundtracks and how they affect me.

I listen to them a lot while working, especially when I have a lot of writing to do. I find that I actually do better work when I listen to FOTR at the start of a project, TTT in the middle and ROTK at the end. They match the creative stage I'm in very well.

Magpie's music moments around here have helped to be able to pick out the themes better, and to see how Shore developed them.

The battle music would be least favorite parts, except for the Osgiliath battle. For some reason that always gets me.

Oh, and I've been known to sing along with Annie Lennox when no one's looking...great for driving home by yourself at night, particularly since I can't carry a tune at all...

I don't listen to much music, but soundtracks have always appealed to me, particularly from SF movies I like.

I own an old vinyl album of some Tolkien music from an artist I can't recall, as well as the Song Cycle by Donald Swann (sp?), but haven't listened to them for years.

I did like the music to Lothlorien from the LOTR musical, which I saw on Youtube -- but Galadriel on her rope descent, though, didn't do much for me!

Hope you get a good response to this...my thoughts to start you off, anyway!

Weaver

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 3:35am

Post #3 of 61 (762 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good, I love rambling [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
This is just the kind of thing I was looking for- just kind of chatting about your favorite and least favorite parts of the score in the movies, and what you like about the music. I love the Lighting of the Beacons track as well- that's definitely on my "top five LOTR music moments" list. Maybe even on the top three.

That's interesting, what you said about watching it at different times of your life, and having different scenes affect you differently, because while I have a set of about five or four scenes that I've been known to cry at, it's always kind of random, the scene that gets to me at a certain viewing (it's usually Ents, Merry and Pip getting back together, Sam carrying Frodo, but once it was the Lighting of the Beacons scene, and once it was even the scene where the Ring was destroyed!).

Thanks a bunch, weaver! Smile

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
There is also a comments page- anyone can leave a comment or question, but please stick to TORn rules on posting!
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2008, 7:41am

Post #4 of 61 (753 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, so I'm wondering where to start. This seems like one of those chicken and the egg questions (in a good way though ) so I'm bascially gonna make this a point-by-point reply and then try and wrap it all up if I feel I've missed out anything.

So...which are your favorite tracks (/themes), and why?

Toughie. I've always maintained that I've never really had a "favourite theme/track" so to speak because LOTR's music, for me, is something of what I'd say is greater than the sum of its parts. It's honestly been hard for me to choose between one because I'm usually moved by a different theme/track depending on what it represents and the state of mind I'm in. But there have been some that no matter what's happening in my life, I just seem to melt and find myself back in Middle-earth.

One of them is "The Passing of the Elves" on Disc 1 of FOTR:CR (in fact, that was the music I most anticipated of the CR). It's just so "Tolkien", both the scene and the music. I just need to listen to the music and close my eyes and imagine the elves walking under the trees and I feel magical. Oh well, it's just beautiful The other one is "The Breaking of the Fellowship" on the FOTR:OST which is also called "The Road Goes Ever On... Part 1" on Disc 3 of FOTR:CR. That just reminds me of Frodo and Sam's relationship and it makes me appreciate the companionship that people in my life have given me and Tolkien's theme of frirenship/loyalty really reaches out to me from this one. It makes me appreciate all the "Sams" in my life and it makes me want to be a "Sam" to the people around me (if you get my meaning). Blush

Then there's "Evenstar" on TTT:OST which also appears on "One of the Dunedain" on Disc 2 of TTT:CR. I remember listening to it in the fall of 2003 while anticipating the release of ROTK. We had an early onset of winter here in India and the atmosphere was dreary (the little tree outside my house had already shed all its leaves) and being a movie-firster, I had no idea what would happen in ROTK (I steered clear of all spoilers etc etc) and that whole scene of Aragorn's death and Arwen mourning in loneliness "as nightfall in winter that comes without a star" just had me enraptured.

Lastly, "The Return of the King" on the ROTK:OST which would be "The Fellowship Reunited" on Disc 4 of the ROTK:CR holds many personal memories for me. It was for me the end of many things... my 4-year degree, (unfortunately) some friendships, a lot of goodbyes, but also the beginning of a lot of new things. But more than anything, I remember crying for the last 30 minutes or so in the theatre out of sadness, but when the eagles came and the end was "happy", for no apparent reason, I continued crying. In fact, I burst into tears at the Grey havens when I realized Frodo was leaving Sam and all behind. It was too much for me. But then when I read the book I finally realized that those were indeed tears of joy. The tears of sadness at the hopelessness of it all had turned to something bittersweet, because it was the end of many things, but the beginning of many new ones as well. That was my life then, and a big turning point for me, and the music will always take me there, because it makes me feel like Sam... to have to say goodbye to what he loved, but to have the courage to turn his face to the green world, and use well the days... Evil

Thanks so much laersaea for this. Its sometimes nice to have it all brought back to me... I'm really tearing up as I write this but not out of sadness.

Are there any themes that you like in particular?

Alright, this should be a little lighter on me... emotionally. I'm again torn between a lot of them because they really are so integral to the score and the story that I find it hard to pick one over the other. I think "A Hobbit's Understanding" is for me the most profound, and not in the least because it plays between two of the most poignant scenes between Frodo and Bilbo, and (I think I said it somewhere on TORn) Bilbo reminds me so much of my late grandma whom I still miss sometimes though its been almost 7 years.

Do any tracks give you a strong emotion that you also feel watching the movies (tears, goosebumps, chills)?

Same as the #1 and I don't think it could say anything more with saying too much again.

Which themes or tracks do you think match up with a scene from the movies (or books) the most?

Maybe I'm just being biased, but there isn't a bit of music that (imho) does not match up with its corresponding movie scene. It's possible the reason is because Shore worked very closely with PJ, and therefore the score is ultimately reflective of the nuances, and more than complementing them it enhances and adds to them. As far as the music matching the books goes, I couldn't tell without being biased because I'm a movie-firster, so whenever I read the books, they're influenced by the movies. But I think I can safely say that the Moria music feels like it could be right out of, well, Moria. There's just too much of wonder mixed with dread and echoes of Dwarven-chanting.Sly

Do you prefer the songs with guest singers (Enya, Renee Fleming), or the instrumental ones more?

I honestly feel that they both have a beauty of their own. Each makes us appreciate the other. But more than anything, the songs use Tolkien's words and it adds not only to the music but to the story as well, so really for me it's a case of beautiful words set to beautiful music sung in beautiful voices.

Do you have much interest in soundtracks outside of LOTR? Any type of instrumental music?

Not soundtracks as a whole so much as soundtrack-music that sounds good. Some examples are "The Gravel Road" composed by James Newton Howard for The Village and "Central Park" from King Kong also composed by him. I daresay JNH is my second favourite composer after Shore. Also, to go off on a tangent, have you ever heard Russian Orthodox music? It's absolutely divine and awe-inspiring. I particularly like "Hymn of the Cherubim" by Tchaikovsky.

Do you have much interest in LOTR music outside of the OSTs? (I'm mostly thinking of the Tolkien Ensemble here)

Nope. I've heard the Tolkien Ensemble and, with all due respect, their work does nothing for me. I think Shore's score is so powerful to me because it finds the roots in the movie which itself was just one amazing life-experience for me on a personal level. I did purchase theirs CDs though (An Evening In Rivendell and so on) but I gave them away to my friend who said he found them "interesting".

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 13 2008, 8:05am

Post #5 of 61 (740 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed reading your post - thank you.

It is amazing how much the music from these films touches people so personally. Sometimes I can't listen to certain parts of the soundtrack because it takes me back to things that I don't always want to be confronted with - marriage breakup and horrible medical treatments. Other times I find it comforting to listen to. I was going to reply properly to this thread but I don't think I am quite in the right space to dredge up some of the details of why I feel so moved by certain parts of the music.

On a lighter note, I spent ages trying to figure out what the heck OST stands for. Think I've got it now...

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 3:31pm

Post #6 of 61 (736 views)
Shortcut
Trying for a semblence of brevity... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will limit myself to one answer per question. Thus, all plurals will be changed to singulars and the words like 'favorite' and 'most' will be replaced with 'one I like a lot', et. al.

So...which are your favorite tracks (/themes), and why?
Is this one of those, 'if I were on a desert island?' sort of questions. Do people really have 1 favorite. And isn't it improper to say 'favorite tracks'?

Okay, a track I enjoy a lot but is not 'my favorite' because I don't have 1 favorite: the music heard after Gandalf falls and the Fellowship stumble out of Moria onto the Dimril Dale.

okay, just thought of two others that have to get added. They may be more favored than anything in the score proper:
Sissel's AsŽa Aranion
Bilbo's Song
both found at the end of the ROTK EE Fan Club scroll and on the CR-ROTK.

Are there any themes that you like in particular?
Well, one I like a lot is the Nature Theme... known officially as Nature's Reclamation

Do any tracks give you a strong emotion that you also feel watching the movies (tears, goosebumps, chills)?
Well, the strongest emotion I feel is probably that music heard after the Ring is destroyed. Two themes are actually taking turns while first Barad-dur and then the lands around it collapse. One is heard later at the Coronation. The other, as it reaches its climax, makes me want to stand up and shout. I've written about it twice before here.

Which themes or tracks do you think match up with a scene from the movies (or books) the most?
I think Dwarrowdelf music always takes me back to the image of that grand space.

Do you prefer the songs with guest singers (Enya, Renee Fleming), or the instrumental ones more?
Well, first I need to differentiate Enya's Aniron from May it Be. Aniron was score. May it Be was not. I'm sticking strictly to score music here and not end-of-the-movie songs. I like voice quite a bit. It was what drew me into the score in the first place, I wanted to sing along so I went searching for lyrics.

Do you have much interest in soundtracks outside of LOTR? Any type of instrumental music?
Yes. I have quite a few scores and listen to them almost exclusively. What do you mean by 'instrumental music'? Something that has no voice at all? I think I listen to music that moves between instruments and voice and just instruments. My tastes are quite ecclectic although not necessarily broad. I tend to focus on music with traditional roots from various cultures. Although I love classical, I don't listen to it much anymore. Can't really enjoy jazz, although I pretended to when my husband did.

Do you have much interest in LOTR music outside of the OSTs? (I'm mostly thinking of the Tolkien Ensemble here)
Yes. Music and singing in general fascinate me and I have a fair bit of information and soundclips regarding Tolkien music outside the score. For example, I found on a Russian website, a clip of a Swedish theater's version of Namarie that is haunting. I have prepared a mix of Music by and Inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien for friends. (it does have a few movie songs on it) Here's the playlist:

1 Sing Hey! For a Bath! --- Rob Inglis LOTR Audio Books
2 Hey! Come Merry Dol!
--- Rob Inglis LOTR Audio Books
3 Troll Sat Alone
--- Rob Inglis LOTR Audio Books
4 Gil Galad
--- Hobbitons Songs From Middle-earth
5 Upon the Hearth the Fire is Red
--- William Elvin J.R.R. Tolkien Collection
6 In the Willow-Meads
7 Errantry William Elvin
--- J.R.R. Tolkien Collection
8 I Sit beside the Fire
9 The Road Goes Ever On
10 In Western Lands
11 NamariŽ
12 Bilbo's Last Song
--- J. Krediet & En Suite
13 NamariŽ
--- Svenska Teatern Swedish Theater - this is from their LOTR production
14 The Last Ship
--- Glass Hammer The Middle-earth Album
15 House of Tom Bombadil
--- Nickel Creek Nickel Creek
16 Dwarf and Orc
--- Glass Hammer The Middle-earth Album
17 Waiting For Frodo
--- Urban Tapestry Urban Tapestry's website
18 Lady of the Wood
--- Urban Tapestry Myths and Urban Legends
19 Fellowship Going South
--- Julia Ecklar
20 Kingsfold
--- Lawrence Green Kingsfold (makes a great tune for Sam's 'In Western Lands' song)
21 Lothlůrien
--- Enya Shepherd Moons
22 I Am Going to the West
--- Connie Dover The Border of Heaven (makes me think of Galadriel)
23 Into the West
--- Yulia Into the West
24 Use Well the Days
--- Annie Lennox Howard Shore: An Introspective (written as an end of movie song for ROTK. replaced by Into the West)

Not included in this because I didn't have it at the time are any songs from the The Starlit Jewel by Broceliande. You can see some other music connected with Tolkien by visiting THIS PAGE on my website.

magpie avatar gallery ~ LOTR soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2008, 3:35pm

Post #7 of 61 (723 views)
Shortcut
Why thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

... yes, it is surprising how each of us has been touched in some way or the other, however big or small, by these books, movies, or scores.

I can empathize with you about not being able to listen to certain parts of the soundtracks because they take you back to a place you don't want to be confronted with. My very good friend who in fact introduced me to Tolkien feels exactly the same way. He bought ROTK:CR last year when it was released but he hasn't yet listened to it. He says it reminds him too much of things he's not ready to recall vividly yet. But he says he'll get there. Eventually. He just needs time. And then he'll find the courage to listen to ROTK. For me as well, ROTK holds such memories, and I listen to FOTR and TTT much more than ROTK for that reason. It just has too much of emotions attached to it that I need to "be in the right place" to want to watch ROTK or listen to its music.

Well, I sincerely hope all's well with you these days. For what its worth, I'm really glad you find some parts of these scores comforting Smile

P.S.: And I'm sorry you had to spend time wondering what OST meant. I was caught up in the moment and just hit reply without checking whether I'd even written sense (and now that I re-read what I've written, there seems to be a bunch of hash-ups but nothing major so thank goodness for that Blush).

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 3:51pm

Post #8 of 61 (724 views)
Shortcut
'favorites' [In reply to] Can't Post

Two of yours could have easily made my list:
The Passing of the Elves... also the thing I most looked forward to on the CR-FOTR and was thrilled to find it was full length.

The Return of the King/Fellowship Reunited. I think I went through about a year falling asleep to the ROTK OST. I would often doze a few tracks in but the contentious music at Mount Doom always woke me up. And then, to fall begin to lull to sleep again to ROTK (the track...) was the most sublime thing I could imagine. I didn't mind having fallen asleep by time The Grey Havens came on ... or Into the West. I was ready to sleep by then. But if I awoke to find I'd missed ROTK, I would back the music up so I could hear it. There was something healing in that music. I think it was intended to be healing in terms of the story. But it was healing for me as well. Doing the cue by cue for this track on the OST was so moving for me I wrote a personal note about it.

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 4:04pm

Post #9 of 61 (725 views)
Shortcut
Wow....thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was an amazing post to read; it's really neat how the score can kind of get to you like that.

Maybe I'm just being biased, but there isn't a bit of music that (imho) does not match up with its corresponding movie scene.

No, no, that is a perfectly valid answer. I totally agree about Moria- reading the liner notes for that scene made me truly appreciate just how much effort Shore put into making the music match the scene.

Also, to go off on a tangent, have you ever heard Russian Orthodox music? It's absolutely divine and awe-inspiring. I particularly like "Hymn of the Cherubim" by Tchaikovsky.

Well....no, I have not heard that type of music specifically- but that's not for lack of listening to "classical" (in the general sense) music. I just listened to your piece...that was beautiful. I don't think I've ever heard anything like it; thank you for sharing it with me! Personally...my favorite composers (not counting film score writers) would have to be...well, do you know Dvorak? Some of his chamber music is quite good, although it's not quite the style of piece that you were bringing up in your reply (not like the Cherubim, or your JNH pieces)...I'm also a fan of Mozart's Requiem (esp the Lacrymosa). As for JNH, I really like what he's done with M. Night Shamylan (The Village, mostly- the violin/piano in the last minute is just stunning), and his Fairy Dance from Peter Pan (I know, it's kind of dumb, but I just think it's pretty!). JNH is not on my top five list for composers, though, so I don't have too many of his pieces- mostly the ones that have stood out a bit.

Thanks, Earl!

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 61 (717 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you like the original soundtrack (OST) as well! Wink Smile

I still think it's amazing how different music can become so intertwined with and embedded in our personal lives. Thanks, Starling!

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 4:26pm

Post #11 of 61 (714 views)
Shortcut
Requiem music [In reply to] Can't Post

I had collected a bunch of music from various sources and decided to put some in a mix of music for myself and friends. A lot of it was found in movies but was classical. When I went to collect information on the pieces, that had up till then been just a track with a name, I found that a great number of them were from requiems. I wondered if I were being a bit unconsciously morbid. And it's always a little amusing to me that I, the faith other than Christian, can respond so deeply to Christian music. But there some exquisite pieces in there.

I hadn't realized you had given a link to the Tchaikovsky piece until laerasea responded and quoted the text. It was beautiful. Tchaikovsky was one of the composers I used to listen to alot back in the 70's. Dvorak as well. (He was here in Minneapolis a bit, you know, and visited Minnehaha Falls ... a stone's throw from my house, or at least a bike ride ... when he considered writing a piece on Song of Hiawatha.)

Arg you guys. I'm getting no work done! Well, I will accept some responsibility for chosing play over work. :P

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 4:26pm

Post #12 of 61 (717 views)
Shortcut
Alright.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this one of those, 'if I were on a desert island?' sort of questions. Do people really have 1 favorite. And isn't it improper to say 'favorite tracks'?

*flinch* Ok...well, I was trying to be a little bit vague on purpose, to give more room for writing whatever you want as an answer- I was just curious to see what people generally like. Personally, no, I don't have one single favorite- which is why I said "Favorite tracks." I thought that was correct phrasing, but I could easily be wrong. What should it be?

Well, one I like a lot is the Nature Theme... known officially as Nature's Reclamation

Yay!!! I didn't know you liked that one so much as well! Cool! As far as themes go, that one probably is my favorite- for the melody, different instruments/vocals used with it, along with what it's supposed to represent (for me, anyway)- all of those things tied together make this theme one of the most moving and beautiful.

What do you mean by 'instrumental music'? Something that has no voice at all? I think I listen to music that moves between instruments and voice and just instruments.

Well...I suppose that's what instrumental means in the technical sense, although I more often use it to mean any kind of music where a voice seems to be being used as another type of intstrument, as opposed to the voice/solo in the piece. On the same note (haha) as what you said in your music moment post, for me, it has kind of a subjective meaning to it. Classical, film score, or some kind of odd contemporary music- most of those can be thrown in the category of "instrumental" for this post, I guess.

I'm not a big fan of jazz, either. I listen to it fairly often (I try to do that with any music that I don't like, so that I can more fully understand why many people do like it), but I really just don't like it that much.

Anyway, thanks- I enjoyed reading your reply! Smile

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

(This post was edited by laerasea on Sep 13 2008, 4:35pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 61 (696 views)
Shortcut
giving you grief [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't favorite a word that indicates the 1 top item. The supreme superlative? So there can't be 'the best examples' there can only be 'the better examples'

I am just giving you grief though.

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 4:43pm

Post #14 of 61 (701 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like saying that I like Requiems, because that sounds a little weird- but they are so amazing sometimes! And while I'm not Mozart's biggest fan, I think that his Requiem was one of the most genius things ever written- I really love every single movement to it (ever seen Amadeus? Almost all of the soundtrack to that movie is his Requiem, and it fits perfectly, IMO).

I didn't know that you liked Dvorak, too! He's definitely one of my favorite "classical" composers, although I'm not a huge fan of his symphonies (New World, for example), but his 8th is ok. I mostly like his chamber music, like the quartets and piano trios. Speaking of him visiting Minneapolis, my favorite quartet is probably his American Quartet (I don't know much about his life, but I've always thought that he must've been fascinated with America, to name his greatest symphony and his greatest quartet after America!).

LOL about work- I'm seriously currently switching off between reading interesting books and chatting on TORn! Crazy (waiting to drive back into town)

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 4:50pm

Post #15 of 61 (703 views)
Shortcut
Dvorak... kill some time with this link [In reply to] Can't Post

Maestro in the Midwest
A Look at AntonŪn DvorŠk and His Years in America

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 6:46pm

Post #16 of 61 (694 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was very interesting- I've been having fun looking at youtube links of the Te Deum piece recently; I really like it! To bad it's "sunk into obscurity"- I think it's good!
Thanks!

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 6:50pm

Post #17 of 61 (688 views)
Shortcut
Ok, ok, [In reply to] Can't Post

You piqued my curiosity, and I posted on an English site that I belong to (mostly college students and English professors posting, and it's there just for questions like these), and I think it's grammatically correct to have more than one favorite. LOL I thought you were genuinely irritated! Anyway, you got me genuinely curious about that, so I just decided to check in with them! ;)

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 13 2008, 7:31pm

Post #18 of 61 (700 views)
Shortcut
My wife, God love her, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I used a few pieces from the ROTK ST for our wedding ceremony.

Twilight and Shadow was the processional; after the men walked in and assembled during the beginning of the piece, my bride waited and appeared at the archway just as Rene Fleming comes in with that beautiful note (alone) about 2/3 of the way through. I melted.

During the signing of the register Anduril was played.

Return of the King was played for the exit of bride, groom and guests... of course there was the fear that the person skipping through the tracks would accidentally put on The End of All Things.

Pieces that moves me, brings a tear to my eye "and stuff," are: the music that's played during the lighting of the beacons (The White Tree I think); The Fields of the Pelennor as Theoden and co. are charging the Orc flank; from TTT, The Hornburg; and from FOTR, there is part of A Journey in the Dark where a theme rises just as Gandalf lights up the many columned hall -- it just slips in and out of the main piece, almost like a stand alone piece (actually it was the only bit of music played during the DVD extras on FOTR LE.)

Finally the bit where Gandalf flies into Mordor on the eagles to pick up Frodo and Sam is beautiful, not sure just now which piece it belongs to.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 7:52pm

Post #19 of 61 (684 views)
Shortcut
okay I will give you that point [In reply to] Can't Post

and continue to dole out grief in general.

I was not annoyed but I find the question 'what's your favorite' almost impossible to answer in every circumstance. And when most people just ride with it, I have to go all literal and explain how I don't have a favorite and give an explanation of why I don't have favorites and ...well... I'm sure you get what I saying. Although I don't get irritated with the person asking, I do get a little annoyed at the question in general. I always, always, always wish it were phrased differently. But life has thus far failed to adjust itself to my liking so I soldier on.

:P

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 8:05pm

Post #20 of 61 (681 views)
Shortcut
awh... that was seriously sweet. [In reply to] Can't Post

Having Renee sing at your wedding. Can't be beat, imo.

from FOTR, there is part of A Journey in the Dark where a theme rises just as Gandalf lights up the many columned hall -- it just slips in and out of the main piece, almost like a stand alone piece (actually it was the only bit of music played during the DVD extras on FOTR LE.)

Without being too obsessive and going and checking a bunch of stuff, I'm sure you're talking about Dwarrowdelf - what Doug Adams calls a 'thematic counterpoint' to the Moria Theme (which is really only heard in Moria). And that's the one I was talking about too. I really enjoy the moment that piece comes up when I'm listening to the soundtrack.

Finally the bit where Gandalf flies into Mordor on the eagles to pick up Frodo and Sam is beautiful, not sure just now which piece it belongs to.

That isn't thematic music so it doesn't have a name but Renee is singing from the source text, The Eagles. It is very beautiful, isn't it? I think, beyond beauty, it brings something healing ... some that soothes the soul after all that drama! I had to laugh at the thought of someone mis-cuing The End of All Things for the recessional. It is a great piece, though. It could have brought some unexpected flair to the proceedings.

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2008, 8:09pm

Post #21 of 61 (684 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

But life has thus far failed to adjust itself to my liking so I soldier on.

Oh, very brave! *applauds* May I ask permission to put that on my list of future signature quotes? (I laughed aloud when I read that.)

I'm used to just picking things that I like at the moment...the first and pretty much last time I questioned it was when we had to write two essays on the first week of high school: all the books you'd read over the summer, and your favorite book ever. Well, there was no way I could possibly remember all the books that I'd read over the summer, and I certainly didn't know my favorite book ever- that depended on my mood, and even then, I always over-pack when it comes to bringing books on trips, because I'm never sure what I'm going to be in the mood for, and I could always change my mind mid-book (but I still have to finish the book). The teacher was not too understanding about this problem, so I wrote an essay about five books that I remembered well (not necessarily from over the summer), and a book that I had just read and rather enjoyed (but not necessarily my favorite).

Similarly, this year in music theory, we had to write a "desert island" list of ten songs- that was difficult. However, our teacher let us count a film score as one piece, and I took the liberty of pointing out that LOTR was originally written as one book, so that made the top of my list; Mozart's Requiem and Dvorak's American Quartet made it on as well, actually, along with some "normal" music ("normal" according to friends).

Site Updates:

Guestbook and Forum
The journal is in NZ!

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- Albert Einstein

- Yogi Berra

- Salvador Dali

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 8:31pm

Post #22 of 61 (677 views)
Shortcut
permission granted [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew you would get what I was saying. Some of us just have to make things difficult.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2008, 4:47am

Post #23 of 61 (672 views)
Shortcut
My name's Eledhwen, and I'm a soundtrack junkie [In reply to] Can't Post

1/2: Answering these together - the lighting of the beacons is incredible. I love Pippin's song in Minas Tirith, and the theme it segues into. And I absolutely adore the Rohirric theme, with the Hardanger fiddle. Being an (ex-)violinist anything with violins is good anyway, but that haunting Hardanger is so gorgeous.

3: Into the West gives me a bit of a lump in the throat. The beacons is goosebumpy.

4: I actually think the whole soundtrack works well in relation to the visuals and themes, and I don't think I could pick out a particular track.

5: Mostly the instrumentals, though I like the tracks (eg the Lorien tracks) where there's vocals as part of the blend of sound. And I've always particularly appreciated that the lyrics are drawn from Tolkien, rather than being just random.

6: Yes. Most of my MP3 player is soundtracks; probably a good 75 per cent. I've got the big orchestral soundtracks like LOTR, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Mission; the quirky ones like Amťlie, Hable Con Ella, Motorcycle Diaries; the compilation ones like Grosse Point Blank; compilation CDs of good soundtrack tracks; James Bond; and a few TV soundtracks. Plus musicals (Les Mis, Phantom, Chicago ...) I like soundtracks, they're a good mix of themes and moods and they're emotive. I also like orchestral and choral works, particularly requiems (like you!) and violin works. The Bruch violin concerto no. 1 is one of my all-time favourite pieces of music.

7: No.

Figwit Still Lives!

Calling for a Figwit cameo in The Hobbit since May 2008

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2008, 4:50am

Post #24 of 61 (664 views)
Shortcut
Russian stuff ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you heard the Rachmaninov Vespers? Truly gorgeous. I heard the St Petersburg Chamber Choir perform it in Christ Church cathedral in Oxford several years ago. The acoustics in the cathedral are pretty good anyway, and it was magical.

Figwit Still Lives!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2008, 4:55am

Post #25 of 61 (670 views)
Shortcut
What about the Faure? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you haven't yet, check out Faurť's reqiuem. Particularly the Libera Me. Brahms's Deutsches (German) Requiem is also pretty special. I think requiems just are particularly moving - the lyrics are so emotional and emotive.

Figwit Still Lives!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.