Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Come on in and enjoy Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 156 (444 views)
Shortcut
*Opens doors wide* Come on in and enjoy Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

*looks out window at rain and tugs sweater tighter* Wow, did autumn start quickly this year, or what? It's bur-r-ry and rainy here today which makes BG happy because he probably won't be able to mow the lawn this weekend. Wink Not that it matters much as the grass has already slowed way down with respect to its growth rate.

So, how is the weather in your part of Middle-earth, and what are your plans for the weekend? If you're in the Gulf Coast area all the way up to mid-Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi, our thoughts and prayers are with you for getting through Ike safely. He's a big, BIG boy. Shocked

*kicks juke box* "These Dreams" by Heart starts to play.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 12 2008, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 156 (279 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure it's Friday? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I thought that Tuesday was Friday this week. Then I thought that Wednesday was Thursday. Seriously, I went around all day talking as though it were Thursday. I am really glad that this week is over. Nothing has gone particularly wrong, but it's been a rough one for me for some reason. But at least it's finally Friday and I get to celebrate a friend's birthday tonight! Even if it is going to rain all night Crazy

I'll have a beer, please. Hope everyone stays dry and has a great weekend!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
Screencap of the Day Schedule for September

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2008, 4:13pm

Post #3 of 156 (274 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

-- to both the sudden start to Fall and prayers for those on the coast!

As to the weather, the temps here have stayed steadily Fall-like since last week (something around 60; a bit less if it's cloudy), and it had a sudden start last week; but I don't mind at all, because Fall is actually my favorite season. :)

So, my Fall Usual, please, Altaira-- and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2008, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 156 (277 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Altaira! Could I have a cappucino to go? [In reply to] Can't Post

*produces huge mug* Here's my "travel container" Laugh!

A bit rainy here, this weekend; going to take a trip tomorrow to visit with my Dad. And we'll probably end up trying to get in touch with my brother in Austin (Texas) at some point...

Stay safe, everyone down there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Post #5 of 156 (276 views)
Shortcut
Yikes, I'm early! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a nice Irish coffee please, it's been really rainy here all day, and I'm abit sniffly so a hot drink is in order!!

If the weather stays like this, it'll be a pretty relaxed weekend for me I think! At most I might venture out to a nearby country park for a walk and some duck feeding!

Oh, and I'd like to raise my mug in remberance of Neil's grandmother Betty who passed away this week, aged 91. She was a wonderful, warm-hearted woman, who always had a great story to tell! She will be greatly missed, but the last few months were very uncomfortable for her, so mostly we are glad that she is finally at peace, and reunited with her beloved husband. x

And yes, best wishes to those of you who will be facing up to Ike this weekend! Here's hoping everyone makes it through safe and well! Smile

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Post #6 of 156 (274 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness! It's Friday! [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s been a crazy week. I have not had time to do more than skim TORN in stolen moments, let alone weigh in on any topics. Basically, two people with the responsibility for a massive project that has been ongoing for almost two years, both decided to take a week’s vacation at the same time, without letting anyone know but by e-mail late Friday night. A vast amount of paperwork was left undone for an important meeting yesterday. So I’ve been working flat out all week, overtime and all, to get it done. Whew! I need a week off now. I’m not sure I have recovered from last weekend, a full-family birthday party for my mother-in-law, and then taking the little guy to the local fall fair the next day.

Anyway, the weather has been great all week, and should be the same for this weekend. We have a lot to be grateful for, in the long run.

So sling me a beer, please, and Happy Weekend, everyone.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:17pm

Post #7 of 156 (266 views)
Shortcut
Pretty darned sure [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I *am* sure of is I'm not going to work tomorrow no matter what day it is. Wink

*pours icy cold beer*

Have fun at the bday party and have a great weekend, Awen's daughter. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2008, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 156 (267 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a beer please [In reply to] Can't Post

Its actually a long weekend here in Scotland (England and Wales had their holiday a couple of weeks ago) so hopefully it won't be too wet.

Have a good weekend all

Cheers

The admin powered by testosterone!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:19pm

Post #9 of 156 (263 views)
Shortcut
My favorite season too [In reply to] Can't Post

...though not my allergys favorite, lol. Pirate

*pours miruvor into hot chocolate and adds lots of whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles*

Happy weekend, Evey! Smile

TORn Calendar

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Sep 12 2008, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 156 (271 views)
Shortcut
May you all stay safe and dry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I missed last week's fiesta, so bring me two ciders.

The weather here has cooled down to the 90's, and in fact yesterday was 89! I suppose a lot of you would snicker at how many people here at the Ranch have been complaining that the pool has gotten too cold, dropping down to 85 degrees farenheit. (For celsius-using folks 85 degrees here would be 29.444 degrees in your country.)

My husband's car blew an axle yesterday, but he came through unscathed. If we go to the freeform dance tonight, it will be because somebody else gives us a lift. All plans for the weekend depend on how fast the mechanics can repair the car. Of course, this is a truly lovely place to be stranded, especially at this time of year when everything has greened up after the rains, so I have nothing to complain about. And I am so grateful that hubby didn't get killed!

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 4:22pm

Post #11 of 156 (257 views)
Shortcut
Same for me. It's my favorite season, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's when I hit the inhaler the most. A few years ago, I had a wonderful trip to Salt Lake City in SeptemberAngelic and the need for the asthma puffer was a constant.

Let's see. Oh yes. A LARGE K&C, please!

Permanent address: Into the West

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:23pm

Post #12 of 156 (260 views)
Shortcut
Woah, now *that's* a mug! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you should just consider *this* to-go cup - complete with straw. LaughLaugh

It's you, dernwyn, it's you! LaughLaugh

Happy weekend, dear!

TORn Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 12 2008, 4:24pm

Post #13 of 156 (279 views)
Shortcut
A good news/bad news sort of day here [In reply to] Can't Post

The bad news is Ike, of course. We think our family in San Antonio will be all right, but we have a lot of friends and relatives in the Houston area, some of whom have left town, some of whom haven't. And we're supposed to get part of the storm here in North Texas starting tomorrow. We're battening down the hatches, that's for sure.

Thank you all for your good wishes!

The good news is that I've finished my novel! Well, at least to the point where I can send out to my test readers to find typos, inconsistencies, etc. Plus I'm having it vetted by an official of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, since the story is set there and I value the place and the people too highly to make mistakes, or to offend.

I'm listening to the LotR Complete Recordings as a reward for working so hard. Smile I'm sure they'll make me cry, but then, I'm due a small, controlled breakdown Crazy

So I'll take a glass of champagne, and a couple of sandbags for the uphill side of my house, please -- we can get a lot of water down the hill when it rains hard.

Happy weekend, TORnsibs all over the world!

*stuffs tip jar with spray of American beautyberry from the back yard*

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2008, 4:24pm

Post #14 of 156 (263 views)
Shortcut
Still made it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just running in *hello to everybody here*, and almost flashing out again.

Had a hard work week this week, but luckily it is Friday. And now I'm off to a concert of a local latin singer (Belle Perez, for who wants to google).
So I'm in a sunny mood, now just the weather, it is really pooring here, I believe we where having the final parts of Hannah over here. Lots of good wishes to the folks who will be run over by Ike this weekend.
And to everybody else HAPPY WEEKEND!!!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2008, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 156 (249 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:25pm

Post #16 of 156 (250 views)
Shortcut
Irish coffee, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now *that* sounds good right about now.

*raises glass to Betty* Here's to what sounds like a wonderful life - and to your family for being so lucky to have had her in your lives, and to have wonderful memories of her to cherish. Smile

Happy weekend, Jazmine.

TORn Calendar

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 4:26pm

Post #17 of 156 (265 views)
Shortcut
Got the new roof on just in time! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a new roof and rain gutters put on last week. Whew! It doesn't rain often in Colorado; this is like a fabulous trip to the coast. I keep expecting to see an ocean opening up just over the next hill.

My kids are off to Nan Desu Con in Denver this weekend, dressed in their geeky anime best. Meanwhile I have two huge algebra tests to grade, but maybe Uncle Baggins and I will make it to the mountains on Sunday.

We had our first meeting yesterday of the gay-straight alliance student club that I've been trying to start. Six students showed up, and they were so enthusiastic we had to have an actual election to select a president. They're already planning events, like setting up a tie-dye booth in front of the student center to introduce the group to the school. I think I can sit back and relax a bit now, and let them take over.

Looks like a good day for hot chocolate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Sep 12 2008, 4:27pm

Post #18 of 156 (258 views)
Shortcut
How could I forget??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I should also share with you the good news--GRANDMA'S GOING HOME TODAY! That's right, she's busting out of the convalescent hospital, back to her old, independent lifestyle. She's been a trouper in sticking to the physical therapy and now enjoys the rewards of her diligence.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:27pm

Post #19 of 156 (248 views)
Shortcut
*slings beer toward Elberbeth* [In reply to] Can't Post

OOoops! Shocked

*wipes up beer off of bar and pours another*

I think I'll *hand* this one to you gently. Laugh

Wow, Elberbeth, sounds like you need a relaxing weekend. Hope you get one!

TORn Calendar

Kethry
Lorien

Sep 12 2008, 4:28pm

Post #20 of 156 (253 views)
Shortcut
It's a lovely day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of storms this week, but they tend to blow through, dropping dust everywhere. There was apparently very low visibility on the west side of the valley. There was a giant dust storm that passed through, dropping some power lines. Glad I was home and not driving in it. But the temperature has been dropping, which is a lovely thing. It's only in the upper 90s, and with the breeze and the cloud cover, it feels wonderful.

I am so sad about baseball right now. It's really hard to watch my team fall down. And there's only 10 home games left. Soon the season will be over. But at least I have the small consolation that if I don't have a postseason to go to, the Arizona Fall League starts soon, and I'll still get my baseball fix until mid-November.

So on Monday I saw a friend that I haven't seen for two years, and hadn't communicated with since last November. Rather odd, this encounter. Brought back so many memories of that time when we were close. It looks like we might be able to stay friends this time, but I'm not sure. But until then, it's nice being able to talk to him again.

Oh! a drink! I think I nice peach iced tea would go down very well. Thanks! and have a great weekend!

"Any kind of plan where you lose your hat... is a bad plan."

'But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours - closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.'

(This post was edited by Kethry on Sep 12 2008, 4:30pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #21 of 156 (245 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Thanks muchly! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Annael
Immortal

Post #22 of 156 (269 views)
Shortcut
We are having gorgeous Indian Summer here - and I'm excited [In reply to] Can't Post

I start graduate school Monday! (If any missed me babbling about this before, I'm getting my PhD in Mythological Studies from Pacifica Graduate Institute, with the aim of writing books about heroines in mythology, particularly the mythology of the current age - Buffy, Xena, River Tam, Aerin Sun etc.) I'm flying to California Sunday for the first session - I go there once a month for four days and do the rest of the work online and at home. I am soooo looking forward to this!

I'll have a hard lemonade please Altaira, and one for the road!

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at . . . change.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Post #23 of 156 (248 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hear it for amazing, tough old ladies!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:29pm

Post #24 of 156 (245 views)
Shortcut
Hooray for long weekends! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell already you're going to need the super-duper sized beer stein to get you through. Wink

*calls out to Dwarves to get the Hengist stein*

This may take a while, so here's a pint to hold you over. Wink

Enjoy the long weekend, Hengist!

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 12 2008, 4:31pm

Post #25 of 156 (244 views)
Shortcut
Hello, Dreamdeer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eeeeks! I'm glad your husband is okay. Shocked Axles are easy to replace - husbands are irreplacable.

Enjoy the weekend whatever you end up doing!

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.