Can we relate ? (2) - Fighting on old battlefields
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2008, 8:48pm

Post #51 of 64 (837 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was about 5, a boy in my class asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend. I said something along the lines of "Ewww no way, that's gross." He responded by thwacking me round the head with a pretty sizeable tree branch. I still have the scar on my forehead!!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Sep 12 2008, 12:01am

Post #52 of 64 (815 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! Your Relational Tiger Fighting no match for my Drunken Logician Style!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Cum bak 2 me... cum bak 2 me... & say my land iz teh r0xx0r lol.

orcbane
Gondor

Sep 12 2008, 1:36am

Post #53 of 64 (831 views)
Shortcut
Why do we do these things ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to admit this but when I was about eight I threw a entire brick at my friends sister that I had a big crush on. I didn't throw it hard, just a lob not intending to hit her, but she ran into it (honest Laugh) & it hit her on the head. So anyway her Dad who was in like the Polish resistance in WWII gives her brother a strapping, why I do not know, and says I am next. So I ran away.

An Ent juggling spikey things ?

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 2:19pm

Post #54 of 64 (829 views)
Shortcut
Umpteen dozen times plus two. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly can't answer all your questions, or at least not quickly.

You sound like my pastor.

But in general I think it has to do with discussions on Tolkien alone, not being enough for me.

Kinda like getting a girlfriend who’s brunette and wears comfy slacks, and then trying to get her to dye her hair blonde and wear tight miniskirts. You might want to try seeing other forums instead.

I am continually drawn to the more intriguing or troubling subjects of our RL.

Like: “When you ‘put your two cents in’ when it is only ‘a penny for your thoughts’ what happens to the other penny?” or “Do Chinese get English words as tattoos?” or “Did the Pillsbury Doughboy have a roll model?”

But as far as what I think you are stating: that no one ever changes there mind as a result of these discussions, I can say it isn't true for me. If anything I change too often.

It’s always nice to keep an open mind. Just not so open your brain catches cold.

I also think others do change, probably not as drastically, in varying ways and times.

I’m talking about firmly held opinions about stuff like God, abortion, capital punishment, eating meat, and which way to hang the toilet paper. Usually it requires a Road to Damascus type epiphany to change such opinions. And not too many people are interested in going to Damascus anymore.

Some have even mentioned in this thread that they have gotten some new insights. Sometimes you pick a piece up here, another there, and over time you come to new conclusions.

"Admire those who seek the truth. Beware of those who have found it." Most people on the internet have found the truth. Be very afraid.

I also had a feeling that we, in our society may have to a large degree lost the art of discussing issues.

Look at the current US presidential campaign. It’s all about name-calling, taking umbrage, and pouncing on innocent mistakes. And it works! Just look at the polls!!

But this is just a supposition...Issue after issue is in a sense banned.

Watch the mods carefully. They almost always let a thread about contentious issues alone. Until it blows up. Which it usually does.

Are we left with only being able to discuss Hobbit cast rumors and weather ?

Some are not even able to do that civilly.

(but not global warming!).

Hey, I always get a hard time when I try to talk about Global Cooling, and that issue was why I became an environmentalist in the first place!!

It was kind of a spin-off thought from the original "Are we dumbing down our society'.

Which is rather ironic. If most people are so dumb, why would anyone want to talk with them?

Anyway Darkstone, I do not mind your questions, especially when down & to the real point. That is what a Darkstone does.

But the most wonderful thing about Darkstones is I’m the only one!

(Which must surely be a blessing to all.)

But can you maybe combine them into just 2-3 next time.

1. Why?
2. Why not?
3. Does the Tathagata exist after death?

As far as whether or how this type of thread should continue, well that is what I am asking.

It seems to be going well. No trash talking or flaming in discussing whether we can discuss certain topics without trash talking or flaming. That’s encouraging.

If I got a resounding, or even just a few objections I would cease them. And then there are the Mods. Did I mention what a perfectly charming group of Mods we have ?

This is the best moderated site on the net.

Oh, and Hengist! Have you two met ? I think he builds fences or something.

I used to build fences. Almost got cut in two when I was nailing up a strand of barbed wire under tension and it snapped. Who knew I could jump so high?

I also used to fence. Murder on the knees.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

orcbane
Gondor

Sep 12 2008, 4:43pm

Post #55 of 64 (823 views)
Shortcut
Are you cutting a new tooth [In reply to] Can't Post

or something ? Find something else to gnaw on Darkstone. Seriously, I don't even read fisks once I realize what they are.

Favorite song of the week. (one line of adult language)

Modest Mouse - Black Cadillacs http://au.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Annael
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 5:06pm

Post #56 of 64 (794 views)
Shortcut
something similar happened to me [In reply to] Can't Post

a boy - I can't remember his name - threw a rock and me and hit me in the eye. His dad took him into the garage and gave him a strapping. (Back before the days where child abuse was frowned upon . . .) I felt so bad, I thought it was all my fault.

(My eye wasn't damaged, but I had a good shiner for a while.)

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at . . . change.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 7:29pm

Post #57 of 64 (798 views)
Shortcut
And there's your answer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you cutting a new tooth or something ? Find something else to gnaw on Darkstone.

In re:

How can we better talk about sensitive subjects without arrousing personnal conflicts ?

Obviously we can’t.

Seriously, I don't even read fisks once I realize what they are.

In re:

And humor. Lots of humor. But please don't be offended by my poor taste in humor. You see, to me the greatest men that ever lived were The Three Stooges.

Obviously humor doesn’t help.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 7:34pm

Post #58 of 64 (789 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

So it’s rather fascinating in a morbid sort of way to watch two people generating a very long thread to see at what point they give up discussing the topic at hand and start discussing each other.

Thank you. I am going to be more aware of that in future!

"Now that's what you'd call ironic."
-Ragetti, POTC

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 12 2008, 7:35pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 12 2008, 8:03pm

Post #59 of 64 (799 views)
Shortcut
I learned a new word! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for introducing me to the term fisk. It turns out I've been admiring Darkstone's fisks for years without even knowing that's what they were!

Cool

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 12 2008, 8:49pm

Post #60 of 64 (792 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fisking is what Darkstones do!

orcbane
Gondor

Sep 12 2008, 11:44pm

Post #61 of 64 (778 views)
Shortcut
It happens the other way as well [In reply to] Can't Post

A girl who lived in another state used to visit with her aunt in my neighborhood for a week each summer. One summer she started throwing rocks at me. But little pebbles only. A distinqtion there ? Anyway a few years later she was my first date.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 3:31pm

Post #62 of 64 (783 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your fisks. You manage to combine both styles: to be logical in a relational way. Now that's a trick! Can you do the splits too?

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at . . . change.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 13 2008, 6:29pm

Post #63 of 64 (766 views)
Shortcut
Don't I [In reply to] Can't Post

...know it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Sep. 8-14 for "The Passing of the Grey Company".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 14 2008, 11:46pm

Post #64 of 64 (802 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Well said :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.