Immortal

Sep 7 2008, 12:51pm

Post #1 of 34 (436 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 7 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo finds Thorin’s cell.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."What was his surprise one day to overhear some of the guards talking and to learn that there was another dwarf in prison too, in a specially deep dark place. He guessed at once, of course, that that was Thorin; and after a while he found that his guess was right. At last after many difficulties he managed to find the place when no one was about, and to have a word with the chief of the dwarves.
...Thorin was too wretched to be angry any longer at his misfortunes, and was even beginning to think of telling the king all about his treasure and his quest (which shows how low-spirited he had become), when he heard Bilbo's little voice at his keyhole. He could hardly believe his ears. Soon however he made up his mind that he could not be mistaken, and he came to the door and had a long whispered talk with the hobbit on the other side."

September 7, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. The Shire is visited by outsiders.
(not from the appendices)
..."Days passed and The Day drew nearer. An odd-looking waggon laden with odd-looking packaged rolled into Hobbiton one evening and toiled up the Hill to Bag End. The startled hobbits peered out of lamplit doors to gape at it. It was driven by outlandish folk, singing strange songs: dwarves with long beards and deep hoods. A few of them remained at Bag End."

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7 2008, 12:59pm

Post #2 of 34 (325 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin was able to be convinced that it was Bilbo on the other side of the keyhole? A list of the items in the Hobbit's pantry? A retelling of the Troll story? The words in the runes on Gandalf's sword (since the Elves had Thorin's, and might be able to translate his)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Mar
Gondor

Sep 7 2008, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 34 (346 views)
Shortcut
Thorin had a cell phone? [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy that would have changed things quite a bit!

Interesting how feeling wretched can bring about change in perspective.

Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable - fall asleep and miss your life.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 8 2008, 4:44am

Post #4 of 34 (328 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

it'd probably sounded something like this though, if the receptions anything like I get

"Thor.. it's.. bo..gins ..me... res.. oo

Wink

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2008, 9:08am

Post #5 of 34 (350 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Book Spoiler that looks at Gandalf's perception of Eowyn's injury beyond that inflicted by the Lord of the Nazgul... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Houses of Healing: The Return of the King

”'I marvel that you should ask me, lord,' he answered. 'For I hold you blameless in this matter, as in all else; yet I knew not that Éowyn, my sister, was touched by any frost, until she first looked on you. Care and dread she had, and shared with me, in the days of Wormtongue and the king's bewitchment; and she tended the king in growing fear. But that did not bring her to this pass!'
'My friend,' said Gandalf, 'you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff that he leaned on.
'Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? Dotard! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs? Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips, you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?'
Then Éomer was silent, and looked on his sister, as if pondering anew all the days of their past life together.”

[*whispers* first post on my new computer :) ]

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2008, 9:09am

Post #6 of 34 (306 views)
Shortcut
Maybe by his [In reply to] Can't Post

eventual temper after Bilbo got tired of answering all of those questions! *snigger* Good Point!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2008, 9:10am

Post #7 of 34 (332 views)
Shortcut
*snert* Well... he WAS in a cell ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2008, 10:25am

Post #8 of 34 (358 views)
Shortcut
The poison of Wormtongue [In reply to] Can't Post

worked many ways. Éomer was not at the court full-time, and so could see the effect of it on his uncle, but was not there to be able to feel it as well; but his sister received the full dose, as Gríma slowly poisoned her will - no doubt to make her ready for his "takeover", when the time came.

First a new King sprung from the field, then a renewed King who was a father to him, and now a fresh comprehension of all his sister has had to endure - Éomer's world is changing before his eyes, yet this will only help to make him a stronger king.

(Yay, your new computer is up and running and even online! Notice any difference? Smile)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 8 2008, 10:27am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2008, 10:28am

Post #9 of 34 (445 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, having to send through [In reply to] Can't Post

all that stone would have messed up reception badly! Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2008, 12:03pm

Post #10 of 34 (337 views)
Shortcut
[*and whispers back*] [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that you've got a new 'puter, you'll need to make sure you keep it running properly! Here's some "software" to help keep your screen clean:

http://www.actrix.co.nz/special/cyberclean.html

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2008, 2:23pm

Post #11 of 34 (310 views)
Shortcut
OH GROSS!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

DOG KISSES! At least it wasn't a French poodle!!! ;)

Actually, I've been having trouble keeping Uh-oh Monkey (kitten) off the keys. She keeps trying to chase my arrow-cursor thingy now that it's so prominent.

sample

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 9 2008, 2:07am

Post #12 of 34 (298 views)
Shortcut
*laughing* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks dernwyn, you made my youngest sons day *still laughing*

*hugs*
Kel xHeart

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Mar
Gondor

Sep 9 2008, 2:07am

Post #13 of 34 (302 views)
Shortcut
...in the bitter watches of the night... [In reply to] Can't Post

this phrase is one of my very most favorite.

It must have some deep connection to my life or a past life. I don't know but I really really like it.

Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable - fall asleep and miss your life.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 9 2008, 2:14am

Post #14 of 34 (302 views)
Shortcut
He was really very good [In reply to] Can't Post

at showing how an injury of the soul can be even more deadly than a physical injury. Eowyn's very will to live was being destroyed long before she faced the Witchking.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2008, 11:47am

Post #15 of 34 (329 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

September 9, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The White Council meets.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)
... "But ever the shadow in Mirkwood grew deeper, and to Dol Guldur evil things repaired out of all the dark places of the world; and they were united again under one will, and their malice was directed against the Elves and the survivors of Númenor. Therefore at last the Council was again summoned and the lore of the Rings was much debated; but Mithrandir spoke to the Council, saying:
... ‘It is not needed that the Ring should be found, for while it abides on earth and is not unmade, still the power that it holds will live, and Sauron will grow and have hope. The might of the Elves and the Elf-friends is less now than of old. Soon he will be too strong for you, even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine, and of the Seven he has recovered three. We must strike.'
... To this Curunír now assented, desiring that Sauron should be thrust from Dol Guldur, which was nigh to the River, and should have leisure to search there no longer."

sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 9 2008, 12:29pm

Post #16 of 34 (299 views)
Shortcut
i wanted to get a computer [In reply to] Can't Post

to get all my morning grapefruit squirts off the screen, so that is why i bought a 'laptop'. it was only after that i realized that the dog did not come with it, as it was only laptop 'capable'Crazy.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2008, 2:30pm

Post #17 of 34 (293 views)
Shortcut
I think that's why [In reply to] Can't Post

his work resonates with so many people. Like Frodo says at the end of the film about some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold. *tearing* Tolkien knows.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9 2008, 2:31pm

Post #18 of 34 (289 views)
Shortcut
oh... me too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2008, 3:33pm

Post #19 of 34 (289 views)
Shortcut
Actively searching? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm, this makes it seem like the Council itself was actively searching for the Ring at some point!

And Saruman's about 500 years too late...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 9 2008, 9:29pm

Post #20 of 34 (312 views)
Shortcut
Did you know, you can get outfits for babies [In reply to] Can't Post

which have "Laptop Model" printed on them! Laugh

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 9 2008, 10:22pm

Post #21 of 34 (289 views)
Shortcut
Now you tell me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh.

10 years too late.....i know, i know you did not know me then,,,,i probably didn't know what a laptop was then eitherUnimpressed.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 10 2008, 1:12am

Post #22 of 34 (282 views)
Shortcut
*eyes tearing* Yep... *Hugs Gramma*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 10 2008, 1:18am

Post #23 of 34 (286 views)
Shortcut
There is a reference [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's in LOTR. Where Gandalf describes the treachery of Saruman and reveals that Saruman had been searching for the Ring himself for many years and had prevented the White Council from looking for it. I think it's implied that it was so they could destroy it.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10 2008, 10:30am

Post #24 of 34 (289 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's finish yesterday's post with a Book Spoiler... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age: The Silmarillion

... “Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming. Then in the midst of gathering fear and the rumour of war the foreboding of Elrond was proved true, and the One Ring was indeed found again, by a chance more strange than even Mithrandir had foreseen; and it was hidden from Curunír and from Sauron. For it had been taken from Anduin long ere they sought for it, being found by one of the small fisher-folk that dwelt by the River, ere the Kings failed in Condor; and by its finder it was brought beyond search into dark hiding under the roots of the mountains. There it dwelt, until even in the year of the assault upon Dol Guldur it was found again, by a wayfarer, fleeing into the depths of the earth from the pursuit of the Orcs, and passed into a far distant country, even to the land of the Periannath, the Little People, the Halflings, who dwelt in the west of Eriador. And ere that day they had been held of small account by Elves and by Men, and neither Sauron nor any of the Wise save Mithrandir had in all their counsels given thought to them."

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2008, 10:31am

Post #25 of 34 (288 views)
Shortcut
That's right, he was telling them [In reply to] Can't Post

that it went down Anduin into the Sea, so stop searching for it....

I have the feeling that those who were Ring-bearers didn't feel that explanation was quite right!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.