Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Why did you first read The Lord of the Rings?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Reptile
Rivendell

Sep 11 2008, 2:25am

Post #76 of 85 (518 views)
Shortcut
Because of the meanest person in the world [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in high school my brother was reading them. I worshiped him and wanted to do anything he was into. I call him the meanest person in the world because, when I was in the middle of the last book, he spoiled the ending for me. This was even meaner than the time he told me to lick my finger and put it in a light socket.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2008, 11:49am

Post #77 of 85 (479 views)
Shortcut
Well, I do [In reply to] Can't Post

pronounce them the same way (smaug is the past tense of smyge (hmm, to sneak but not quite)). And it's a very nice diphtong, but I can't remember the phonetic sign. It doesn't sound anything like oo or i though :-) Or like taut.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 11 2008, 4:05pm

Post #78 of 85 (468 views)
Shortcut
A-HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wondered what it meant. Google was useless in this case.
Thanks!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Sep 11 2008, 4:08pm)

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 11 2008, 4:48pm

Post #79 of 85 (463 views)
Shortcut
Grandparents' Day? [In reply to] Can't Post

*ducks and covers*

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Sep 11 2008, 10:01pm

Post #80 of 85 (453 views)
Shortcut
I have the pleasure of being able to blame my father. [In reply to] Can't Post

My best friend was a huge fan of The Hobbit. I was re-reading The Silver Chair for the umpteenth time. My best friend talked me into reading The Hobbit.

My father, a college literature teacher, asked what I thought of The Hobbit. I told him it was OK, but not as great a story as could be found in The Chronicles of Narnia. (Which I had grown up with. My father read them aloud to me as a child.) My father smiled and then offered me his set of LOTR books. He told me it was better than The Hobbit and to sit down and read. What can I say? My father knows a good book when he sees one!

Because of LOTR, I have been able to appreciate The Hobbit as a part of the tale. It was confusing to read when I first picked it up, though, because the copy of The Hobbit which I had read was the original telling of the story where Gollum simply led Bilbo right out of the mountain. I read through as far as The Council of Elrond in LOTR and realized that this was no mere Hobbit tale. I stopped, started over, and read every word, sometimes twice.

I like to think of myself as a second-generation Tolkien fan. My father was one before me and was responsible for getting me hooked. I passed it on to my children. Two of my four children have begun collecting other works of Tolkien as well. Multigenerational Tolkienism: It's a good thing. Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2008, 1:40am

Post #81 of 85 (526 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

like the "ow" in "browser", or the "au" in "laut"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

syameese
Bree

Sep 12 2008, 10:06am

Post #82 of 85 (449 views)
Shortcut
a long time ago [In reply to] Can't Post

It was sometime in the seventies that I first read LOTR. Being a library user I had kept an eye for it on the shelves for a couple of years, but it never was there (I don't bother to reserve items). One day a cousin mentioned that she had the books and lent them to me strongly suggesting that i read The Hobbit first, which I did. I recall not being too impressed with TH, but I did know that it was a children's book and had been forewarned that the LOTR was a much different style. And so I began ....

Curiously my recollection of that first reading is that I was put out when Bilbo left the story so early, but of course that momentary discomfiture was soon put aside. I then proceeded to read the book many many times over the next twenty years, probably averaging close to at least one read a year. Once I got to the end and promptly started from the beginning again.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2008, 3:46pm

Post #83 of 85 (436 views)
Shortcut
In a galaxy far, far away... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't resist! Laugh

I know there are others here who had that initial "problem" with LotR: they wanted Bilbo to have a greater part in it.

Welcome to TORn! Have you been lurking? Wink

BTW, instead of replying to the main post in this thread, you replied to mine (which was the last post you would have seen, in "flat" mode). Here's a link to Daughter of Nienna's post which gives a great description of how the posting works here and how to best use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 13 2008, 9:57am

Post #84 of 85 (417 views)
Shortcut
Good idea!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's that cream pie?

*THWACK!*

;)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Lady of Light
Rivendell

Sep 15 2008, 5:38am

Post #85 of 85 (429 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone remember those old computer games by Interplay [In reply to] Can't Post

based on LotR (Vol 1 & Vol 2)? My brother was playing The Two Towers game (he had read the books, influenced by Mom) and I sat and watched him (it was actually a common form of entertainment in our house to watch someone else play a computer game). He played through up to the big Gandalf return, by which point I was intrigued enough that I wanted to read the real story. So they started me on The Hobbit, and I've been hooked ever since (becoming the biggest LotR geek in the family in the end) despite being completely spoiled for Boromir's death and Gandalf's return. Unsure

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?"
"No! Well yes, but that's not the point..."

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.