Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Ringcon 3-5 October, Bonn Germany

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2008, 7:33pm

Post #1 of 13 (700 views)
Shortcut
Ringcon 3-5 October, Bonn Germany Can't Post

Hello everybody,
My first post in TORn Moots.
I've been reading a lot about various Cons, but I've never been to one myself and it sounds like so much fun.
Now I see that there is Ringcon in Bonn (which is only 2 hours away from where I live), usually I only see the messages after the Con, so this time I could go.
But what to expect there? What exactly happens at a Con? Does any one of you have experience with Ringcon?
I'm still torn between the everybody looking silly at me for my interest in LOTR and reading all the fun stuff you write about it. I know it is silly, but I hear the reactions around me when I just mention my interest, and than going to a Con, oh boy. But on the other hand, I've already been to New Zealand to see the locations, and to Santiago de Compostella, just for the LOTR-exhibition, so why should I care... Well, I think almost all of you now the doubting.
Oh yeah, I probably will be going alone, so is that still fun to go.
I hope you can give some information.
Thank you so much in advance!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2008, 11:39am

Post #2 of 13 (455 views)
Shortcut
I'm going [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I've decided to go. Only on the Saturday, just to get a first impression.

Isn't anybody going there?

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2008, 8:20pm

Post #3 of 13 (438 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think you should feel silly at all for going to the convention. Everyone else there is going for the same reason you are - because they love 'The Lord of the Rings'! I have never been to RingCon, but have been to a lot of conventions here in America like the San Diego Comic Con and One Ring Celebration; here are a few general convention tips that might help:

1) - Wear comfortable shoes! That sounds funny, but you will probably be doing a lot more walking around than you think you will, so dress for comfort.

2) - Make sure to look at the schedule of events before you go. That way you can decide what you want to do before you get there, and it will save you a little time and running around.

3) - Have fun! Like I said, everyone else is there for the same reason you are going - because they are a fan. Conventions like that are a great way to spend time with people who share your interests, and you might even make a new friend or two.

And PLEASE post a review of the convention when you get back! I'd love to hear about it. Smile

"...and back again."

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 15 2008, 11:44pm

Post #4 of 13 (475 views)
Shortcut
Leider nicht! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would definitely come with you if I were in Germany! But I'm glad you're going anyway - have a great time, and tell us all about it when you come back! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2008, 3:00pm

Post #5 of 13 (378 views)
Shortcut
Looks like there will be some good guests there [In reply to] Can't Post

Brad Dourif, John Rhys-Davies...and a lot of 'Harry Potter' actors! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Smile

"...and back again."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 16 2008, 8:59pm

Post #6 of 13 (373 views)
Shortcut
You might want to PM Peredhil lover [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she lives within a day's drive, anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

MaitimosGirl

Sep 16 2008, 9:55pm

Post #7 of 13 (408 views)
Shortcut
Re: RingCon [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Rosie,
I can actually give you some info about RingCon. I've been twice now, and am planning on going again this time around.

To sum it all up, it's a fun filled weekend, with lots of panels, workshops, guest stars, music, incredible costumes, etc. And don't worry about feeling weird going to a con, everyone is friendly and you'll have a great time! It took me a little while to feel comfortable wearing a costume, but once you get over that, there is no stopping you, hihi..... I make my own costumes now, and enjoy wearing them at different cons! ;)
I will be there the entire weekend, if you like, we could meet and I can show you around Saturday, just let me know.

Smile

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 17 2008, 6:50am

Post #8 of 13 (357 views)
Shortcut
Four hours, actually, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I fear I'll not be able to get away. One of my friends has the leg in a cast, the other one's on holiday then, and that means I have to take care of the horses Frown

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2008, 9:47am

Post #9 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much [In reply to] Can't Post

How wonderful of you. It would be great to meet.
I'll send you a PM.

It is not so much the people at the Con, who I feel a bit anxious about, they must be great, they all love LOTR and with all the replies I get on TORn, those also must be great people. It is way more the people in my ordinary life. I'm already the geek of my department at work, for just watching the movies. So going to a Con, oh boy, what about that. But on the other hand, why should I care.... (I know I'm a bit whobbly with my mind....).

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2008, 9:52am

Post #10 of 13 (387 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tips [In reply to] Can't Post

I already looked at the schedule, and everything I want to see/hear is nicely behind each other, so the planning is going to be ok. Only what else will be there, and will I have time. All the big names are great, really a lot of LOTR and I also like Harry Potter, so that is also very nice.

I'm now really looking forward to it. Also with all the response here, gives me a bit more courage.

And of course will I post a report when I get back Cool.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 18 2008, 6:48pm

Post #11 of 13 (400 views)
Shortcut
why should you care indeed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about what people think. I know it can be hard, if you are surrounded by people who think your passions are 'odd' or 'silly'. But there are SO MANY people out there who agree with you and share your interests; you are not alone! My Mum often asks me, 'Aren't you ashamed to have people come round to your flat and see all this LotR, Harry Potter and Star Wars stuff everywhere? What must they think of you?'

My answer is, 'If they're my friends, they know me and like me anyway, and they know my hobbies are a part of what makes me me. If they can't deal with my hobbies, well, they're probably not really my friends anyway...'

Alot of people who look down on going to cons and similar things are actually jealous. They would never have the nerve to embrace their own interests so fully and to get out there and have fun, and they envy those who can pursue their passions. So to make themselves feel better, they belittle what you love or do. Ignore it! Anyone who is confident and content in themselves can appreciate that everyone has different interests and different ways of having fun; the fact that we don't all enjoy the same things is part of life's rich tapestry.

And - many of my dearest friends are folks I met through TORn and through going to conventions and moots! So I say, enjoy your life, seize the day, and go and have a fabulous time!

And be sure to report back afterwards... Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2008, 7:40am

Post #12 of 13 (392 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for your words [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to print this wise lesson and carry it with me!

I know I shouldn't care, but since I was small, I always did it. It is probably the surroundings I grew up in. Here in Holland the saying is "just act normal, that is already crazy enough". And since I'm the 33 year old Winnie the Pooh-fan, watching Disney movies, loving colours and especially pink and watching LOTR-movies, you can imagine how crazy that I must be Wink.

But I'm going!! I've already made an appointment with Maitimosgirl to meet at RingCon. And I'm even playing with the thought to go 2 days. And I'm now totally looking forward to go!

So just wait for my report, who knows how much I love it.

Thanks again, and a hugh {{{{hug}}}} for your kind words!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Sep 19 2008, 9:13pm

Post #13 of 13 (783 views)
Shortcut
my pleasure! Have a great time! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.